• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Batman's age and the prospective Robins has me wondering if aging them all up is a way to have their cake and eat it. Dick can be 29 and allude to fighting homicidal lunatics at 14.

Honestly I can't imagine anyone is going to be focusing on her age anyway. Or why they would. Looks can be deceiving as evidenced by all the Eisenberg age complaints even though he's Cavill's age.

IDK, just something that popped up.
More "weird" in that either
1. Catwoman is just now showing up.
2. pre-established Selina still doing typical Catwoman stuff like 15 years later.

Thats kinda why im leaning more towards wanting full ally Catwoman or Kingpin Selina.

Im definitely hoping that Red Hood rumor is true, not only do we get a new villain but it allows WB to use Joker and in a more interesting way than a big bad again.
Also get flashbacks that pad this world out a bit, not to mention stuff like full on young Robin which likely won't get much screentime otherwise.

Isn't Batman traditionally 30 when he starts fighting crime? Not too familiar with the comics buts how old he was in Batman Begins.

I have a feeling they'll just pass him off as 40-ish. No real specifics.

Some continuities it's as early as 22, he begins his sojourn in earnest at age 16 and disappears for six years and comes back with the skills at age 22. Batfleck might be this character

Isn't Batman traditionally 30 when he starts fighting crime?
Length of training in the specific iteration normally determines when he starts.
Almost always starts travelling and training at 16/17 for a few years and most commonly returns around 20-22.

Until New 52 Batman seemed to typically hover around 30 maybe 35 years old.

Differs, but usually in the 20-30 range. But, yeah, I could see him being around 40 or so.

I just sorta assumed he'd be the same age as Affleck, or close to it. Somewhere in the 40-45 range. If he starts fighting crime in his early 20's, that leaves plenty of time for both a lengthy career and long retirement.

ryan299

Nicoel Kidman in talks to join WW. Thread worthy?

Oscar winner Nicole Kidman is in ongoing negotiations to play a high-ranking Amazonian warrior alongside Gal Gadot in WB’s “Wonder Woman,” an individual familiar with the project has told TheWrap.

While Kidman’s potential role has yet to be confirmed, the Queen of the Amazons in the “Wonder Woman” comics is Hyppolyta, who also happens to be Diana Prince’s biological mother — though it’s unclear whether the film will remain faithful to that storyline.

The Wrap

naaaaah man, i knew they'd hire a big name but not that one. not happy with that rumor. angelina jolie is the dream casting for hippolyta tbh. i wonder if she's been approached yet.

if it's just a warrior though then that would be cool. brunettes first tho, eva green and jolie gotta be in this.

Penguin

I can see it, but not my first choice for the role.

And I don't know... if big enough for a thread.

Someone suggested her for Hera, and I like that better

DaveH

So the bad news:

Zero DC information at the Q3 Earnings Call that just ended (Tsujihara said maybe one line related to distribution during the Q&A, otherwise it was all dry financial information).

The good news:

Warner Brothers has realized that dry financial Earnings Calls where your theatrical division wasn't it's best, isn't the place to release DC information you want people to get excited about. They're taking the marketing and press for their films seriously and not just using whatever platform happens to be available.

The ugly news:

We have no idea when or if the next bit of significant DC information may drop. With Convention Season wrapped, the Earnings Call was the last clear milestone where we might expect big announcements. That suggests they may be getting away from big announcements related to the cinematic slate where they're considered a single risky entity and simply treat them like individual films within a franchise with the normal expected trickle of information.

Penguin

Well the next bit of info will be confirmation of Wonder Woman casting.

And then imagine we'll begin the rollout of actual BvS marketing stuff

Yeah we should hear tons of stuff on WW since it's shooting soon, and then JL, either officially or leaked.

The lack of casting news for the Lanterns (Hal or John or whoever they go with) or Shazam makes me think more and more that they won't be in part one.

DaveH

Batman-News.com:
@colliderfrosty I’ll be anxiously awaiting “Batman v Superman day”

Steven Weintraub:
@BatmanNewsCom you get it. you are going to be very happy soon. That section is already edited

---------------

Collider had some of the best Man of Steel coverage, so I'm excited about their BvS coverage (but I almost don't want to know everything they might uncover).

Penguin

Interview with Charles Roven on DC's general approach

http://collider.com/dc-cinematic-un...utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=collidersocial

I think also very much involved in that brain trust is John Berg, who is the executive vice president at Warner Bros. I would say the Snyders, myself, John Berg, and Geoff Johns would be sort of that Brain Trust… I’m working with great people. They’re all really great people. And not that we don’t—there are many times we agree, and there’s many times we don’t agree [and] we work it out.

On the "versions" of the characters

So if, for example, The Flash movie or the Aquaman film is gonna come out after Justice League 1, it’s not gonna be a completely different character; that character will have evolved from Justice League 1. Wonder Woman, when we see her in Justice League 1, will have evolved from Batman v Superman. Unless we decide that in one of these stories we’re gonna do something that happened in the past and have it be more of an origination story, in which case you’ll realize how that character became what they were in the movie that they were first introduced

More at the link!

IconGrist

Think trying to dance around it, but pretty much confirms that Wonder Woman takes place before Batman v Superman.

I didnt specifically take that to mean Wonder Woman but they will definitely have to go in the "past" for Flash and Aquaman after the JL movie.

Penguin

I didnt specifically take that to mean Wonder Woman but they will definitely have to go in the "past" for Flash and Aquaman after the JL movie.

Oh I was just thinking of the context

He mentions Wonder woman we see in JL 1 would be evolved from BvS, but not her own film which comes right before that.

And when talking about WW, he then goes on to talk about possibly doing movies that show us how these characters became the ones we know when we first meet them

Another thing to point out is he talks about the sandbox and "Justice League DC characters." I think that reinforces the whole DCJLU or whatever that popped up a few weeks back.

I"d preorder an extended cut day one. Very soon probably means attached to Star Wars. Concerned by the grounded talk, I think I get what he's getting at but I'm always pessimistic about how they'll handle magic because it conflicts with what squad is doing.

Penguin

Is there plans for a production thread, kind of like the Batman v Superman thread?

You folks can decide... I personally hate production threads

And BvS wasn't even a "production thread" it was more of a.. so not every little rumor has a new thread thread... that.... still happened

Loxley

You folks can decide... I personally hate production threads

And BvS wasn't even a "production thread" it was more of a.. so not every little rumor has a new thread thread... that.... still happened

Yeah, a lot of the time production threads can be redundant. I mean, we already have the BVS and the DCEU thread, we probably don't need a dedicated WW thread until the film's actual OT since - as you mentioned - every little bit of news about that movie will end up getting its own thread anyway.

Penguin

Gal seems to be getting intoa nice shape

12219517_10153679887853926_6721646690960263613_n.jpg

tim1138

They work best together. They're a stronger pairing than even Green Arrow and Black Canary, I feel.

Honestly Mera and Arthur are my favorite couple in the DCU. Mera is such a bad ass and her hydrokinesis/water magic is such a cool power. I'm thrilled that they're going all in and not only are we getting a Wonder Woman movie, but live action Aquaman and Mera.

Penguin

Aquaman gets a new (or another) writer

David Leslie Johnson has been hired to write Aquaman, Warner Bros.’ big-screen take on the water-breathing DC Entertainment superhero character.

James Wan is developing and on board to direct the title, which has Jason Momoa attached to star as King Atlantis for the movie, which is swimming towards a 2018 release.

What is unclear is the extent of Johnson’s involvement. The project was being developed on dual tracks with writers Will Beall and Kurt Johnstad penning separate scripts.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/aquaman-hooks-new-writer-839787

Ahasverus

So the DCEU strategy is now clear. They use 2 screenwriters, they get 2 scripts then they hire a third wheel to create a third script. That's how it went with Flash and how it is apparently with Aquaman. This is also made 2.5 years in advance of filming, which shows they are beting in the long term.

The non existent casting for GL/Billy is really eating at me. So far their schedule makes it look like they're introducing characters first in the league then giving them origins in their solo film, barring maybe cyborg (who's getting his origin in JL) and shazam (movie before part 2). I guess we'll find out soon enough since it's confirmed not back to back.

The non existent casting for GL/Billy is really eating at me. So far their schedule makes it look like they're introducing characters first in the league then giving them origins in their solo film, barring maybe cyborg (who's getting his origin in JL) and shazam (movie before part 2). I guess we'll find out soon enough since it's confirmed not back to back.

I think they're just gonna skip over their origin stories altogether. Mainly cuz every origin story is just a variation on Batman's or Superman's

Justice League Parts 1 and 2 continue to be curious wording. Prefacing this as crazy rampant speculation on my part, I can imagine a scenario wherein the two make up a Death and Return of Superman story of sorts.

I...

What.

No, they're not.

Every superhero origin story is a variation of Supes or Batman.

Batman- 1.)Given a superpower (wealth in his case), and 3.) is wronged in someway driving his/her vendetta against evil (Spider-Man, Punisher, Daredevil, IronMan,)

Superman- 2.)Born with superpowers and 4.) imbued with a strong moral compass by parental figures.(Thor, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter)

Then you can mix and match the four base components

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom