• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odoul

He was a writer in horror films and they got Wan, too. Maybe DC wants to show the Trench in an Aquaman movie.

Looking at his history isn't exactly inspiring.

But he did write the current movie the director is busy on, so it looks like Wan is exerting some control.

On Wonder Woman.

Is WB trying run anti-hype or something? It starts rolling in less than three weeks and the only people confirmed are the director and star.

I pray when BvS is released they drop this cloak and dagger bullshit.

Penguin

Looking at his history isn't exactly inspiring.

But he did write the current movie the director is busy on, so it looks like Wan is exerting some control.

On Wonder Woman.

Is WB trying run anti-hype or something? It starts rolling in less than three weeks and the only people confirmed are the director and star.

I pray when BvS is released they drop this cloak and dagger bullshit.

Anti-hype?

The movie is almost 2 years away. I'm sure we'll know the rest soon enough, but don't see why it's an anti-hype move.

Did they ever confirm Shazam was even part of the same universe? Early reports at least suggested it was its own thing.

The closest thing to confirmation is that the DC official blog said all 10 movies were in universe.

My take on it is that a lot of these later slate films aren't even green lit yet and no one wants to come out and make a definitive statement since they're so far away and things do change.

My other take is that the new 52 was in part designed to be source material for these movies and they're pushing that league lineup, especially since Johns has some level of creative input in the movies.

Well there were rumours that GL wont show up until the end of JL1, and Shazam movie still isn't for a few years.

I still kind of buy into Dan Amboyer being Hal.

Tabby

The closest thing to confirmation is that the DC official blog said all 10 movies were in universe.

My take on it is that a lot of these later slate films aren't even green lit yet and no one wants to come out and make a definitive statement since they're so far away and things do change.

I still kind of buy into Dan Amboyer being Hal.

Is that the guy that's listed as a "Drone Pilot" or something for BvS? That'd be my best bet as well, he looks like a Hal to me.

Is that the guy that's listed as a "Drone Pilot" or something for BvS? That'd be my best bet as well, he looks like a Hal to me.

B8T30TxCIAAsI9b.jpg
yeah he looks a lot like Hal

Every superhero origin story is a variation of Supes or Batman.

Batman- 1.)Given a superpower (wealth in his case), and 3.) is wronged in someway driving his/her vendetta against evil (Spider-Man, Punisher, Daredevil, IronMan,)

Superman- 2.)Born with superpowers and 4.) imbued with a strong moral compass by parental figures.(Thor, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter)

Then you can mix and match the four base components

Firstly, that's ridiculously reductionist.

Secondly, it doesn't even fit Billy Batson, one of your examples. He only has one of those components, being given powers, but not having parental figures or a driving vendetta.

ReiGun

Anti-hype?

The movie is almost 2 years away. I'm sure we'll know the rest soon enough, but don't see why it's an anti-hype move.

We'll start hearing news soon. I imagine everyone is just laying low because the Star Wars hype machine is in full effect and no one in the geek sphere is checking for anything else.

Secondly, it doesn't even fit Billy Batson, one of your examples. He only has one of those components, being given powers, but not having parental figures or a driving vendetta.

Billy is an orphan, his parental figures were the rough and tumble streets, parental figures don't need to be actual parents.

as far as being reductionist, that's why origin stories are boring and unnecessary, everyone subconsciously reduces origins stories.

Then wouldn't that mean Pine isn't Trevor?

Not necessarily. He could be playing Steve Trever, and his eerily-similar looking great grandfather, Steven Trevor.

Billy is an orphan, his parental figures were the rough and tumble streets, parental figures don't need to be actual parents.

as far as being reductionist, that's why origin stories are boring and unnecessary, everyone subconsciously reduces origins stories.

Rough and tumble streets are not parental figures. They're specifically the absence of parental figures. C'mon.

OT: Anyone else get a Tesla kinda vibe from the dude on the left? Would fit the timeframe too.

Odoul

Anti-hype?

Suicide Squad got a giant cast announcement dropped last winter.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=943870

The time span between that particular announcement and SS release date is about 3 months longer than than Wonder Woman's due date and right now.

Any information about the thing has seemed to be from rumor sites or offhanded comments from TPTB who were talking about something else.

Until I saw the picture I was expecting some sort of delay.

Just seemed weird to me.

Penguin

Suicide Squad got a giant cast announcement dropped last winter.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=943870

The time span between that particular announcement and SS release date is about 3 months longer than than Wonder Woman's due date and right now.

Any information about the thing has seemed to be from rumor sites or offhanded comments from TPTB who were talking about something else.

Until I saw the picture I was expecting some sort of delay.

Just seemed weird to me.

I stand corrected, but still don't believe in "Anti-hype" this far out

And unlike SS we have the star and director of this movie already.

Pachimari

I'm getting increasingly hyped for Wonder Woman. And even though I'm a Marvel fan, this is a superhero movie, and I am extremely curious about the whole DCEU. I can't wait!

What's the desirable outcome. Steve's story is set 100 years in the past. Or Steve is around in modern day to catch Batman making moves on Diana.

a048upW.jpg

IconGrist

What's the desirable outcome. Steve's story is set 100 years in the past. Or Steve is around in modern day to catch Batman making moves on Diana.

a048upW.jpg

I'll never understand how this picture makes everyone think Bruce and Diana will be a couple. Especially when Bruce in this movie really doesn't like the idea of super powers.

I'll never understand how this picture makes everyone think Bruce and Diana will be a couple. Especially when Bruce in this movie really doesn't like the idea of super powers.

Do we know if he's anti-superpowers, or just anti-superman? Got more of a vibe towards the latter.

Besides, Bats x Wondy 4 eva.

IconGrist

Do we know if he's anti-superpowers, or just anti-superman? Got more of a vibe towards the latter.

Besides, Bats x Wondy 4 eva.

Well being that he was at ground zero while his employees were killed and his building leveled by two super beings (which the world had never seen) I can't imagine his anger is simply at Superman. Makes more sense he would have an issue with anybody possessing that kind of power.

Loxley

Wasn't the whole Bruce + Diana thing concocted for JLU? I was under the impression that DC had always paired Superman with her up to that point.

I'm not really well-read on my superhero relationship history.

Part of the speculation stems from ancient casting rumors. Memory is fuzzy but I believe the actresses rumored Bruce Wayne's Romantic Interest were later revealed to be up for Wonder Woman.

Wasn't the whole Bruce + Diana thing concocted for JLU? I was under the impression that DC had always paired Superman with her up to that point.

Supes and Lois
Diana and Steve
Batman too paranoid to have lasting relationships

Nah, Supes and Lois. Bruce and Catwoman + various other decidely unconventional/unhealthy relationships. Wondy and... I guess Steve Trevor, but that hasn't been a thing for ages. Wondy/Supes is a new 52 thing and really, really boring. Also over.

Bruce + Diana stems entirely from JLU, in my case. Such a fun pairing.

Scott Snyder actually said a bit on the subject; said that they're an interesting couple but Bruce as he is isn't equipped for a proper relationship. Feel like that's right.

ReiGun

Trinity Love Interests:

Supes: Lois Lane, Lana Lang, Lori Lemaris, Lee Lambert (not yet, but probably), Wondy

Wondy: Steve Trevor, Tom Tressor, Trevor Barnes, Io (amazon blacksmith, mostly hinted at), Supes, Bats, Etta Candy (okay, hasn't happened, but it should!)

Bats: Catwoman, Jezebel Jet, Vicky Vale, Talia Al Ghul, tons of other miscellaneous women I can't be bothered to name or learn about, Wondy

Of course, Supes is the only one to have been able to maintain a relationship for a significant amount of time. Wonder Woman writers have never been able to settle on a "one true love interest" for her. It's Steve by default, as that was her creator's intention and he's got the 77 show to back him up. But DC until very recently hasn't given a fuck about Steve, and even then, he's been turned into a creepy douche in the comics and Diana broke up with him without us ever seeing them really be together on page. As for Bats, most of his writers agree he's not stable enough to be in a healthy relationship for long. Even with the Wonder Woman thing, most say they see it as a fling at best.

My first thought for him as a hero, I'd love to see Fate. Plus the Helmet is an easy timeless element that could play a role in future DC movies and easy to make a legacy character for.

I'd like to see Hourman, Alan Scott or Spectre as well. Alan Scott seems unlikely because it's another hoop they have to jump through to explain the difference between him and the Oan Green Lanterns.

DaveH

I can't translate French fluently and I don't know the reliability of this publication, but here's the snippet for those who might be able to judge it better:
zCoRyZ0.jpg

I'm more inclined to believe this is not rigorous reporting and thus the budget is wrong and the quote is out of context (something closer to, "What are you doing now?" "I'm doing a superhero film.") but who knows.

ww x bat was in either Joe Kelly or Waid's JL run. Dunno if the JLU invented the concept before or after it, they were around the same time frame.

edit: Looks like Kelly but Morrison planted a kiss in obsidian age.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/JLA_Vol_1_90
The Justice League episode in which Wonder Woman kisses Batman on the cheek, "The Brave and the Bold," first aired on March 17, 2002. According to show producers, the kiss was meant to be a platonic display of gratitude, and it wasn't until the episode aired and fans started buzzing about something going on between Batman and Wonder Woman that they realized something could be going on between Batman and Wonder Woman, and so they played with the idea in future episodes.

Joe Kelly took the reigns of the JLA series from Mark Waid with JLA #61, which was published in December 2001. In that issue Batman and Wonder Woman are seen sparring in the JLA Watchtower, with Wonder Woman gaining the upper hand as she pins Batman to the floor, and there is a tense moment where the pair are inches apart and smiling at each other, before a trouble alert breaks them apart. Batman and Wonder Woman would not actually kiss until JLA #74, but the scene from #61 along with several others in the interim are given new context with hindsight, and make it clear what Kelly was planning from day one.

So, Kelly by months.

DaveH

Joe Kelly is inordinately involved in addressing trinity shipping. Before he wrote Action #775, "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?", or took up JLA to address Bruce x Diana, he wrote Action #761 "For A Thousand Years..." ("Immortal Beloved" on the cover), wherein Diana and Clark get shunted off to Thor's Ragnarok and are forced to fight side-by-side for 1,000 years... at some point, Diana makes a pass at Clark who holds faithful to the idea of Lois without being certain that they'll ever get back to their own world or time.

Independently, I never really had any problem with either Action #761 or JLA #74... but together it's a little weird that Kelly finds that Diana would be compatible with either then puts his foot down and says, "No!" In some sense, that's how love can work, but it's a little odd he broached the topic more than once. I don't know how I feel about that.

Penguin

Well from SHH!

gy2mARG.jpg

William "Congo Bill" Glenmorgan was born in 1898, the son of a Scottish gamekeeper. At one point he was a member of the IRA, and during World War I he served as soldier in the Battle of the Somme in France 1916 and also Battle of Flanders Field in Passendale, Belgium. He worked his way up a spy in Austria. He later became a globe-trotting adventurer, and for a time worked for the Worldwide Insurance Company, protecting policies they had written and saving the company from fraudulent payouts.

He was an well known Golden Age character, he had his own live action series and all. He could transfer his mind to his golden gorilla with a magic ring or something like that. He is Congorilla that Geoff Johns used in his run on JLA before the New 52.

Joe Kelly is inordinately involved in addressing trinity shipping. Before he wrote Action #775, "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?", or took up JLA to address Bruce x Diana, he wrote Action #761 "For A Thousand Years..." ("Immortal Beloved" on the cover), wherein Diana and Clark get shunted off to Thor's Ragnarok and are forced to fight side-by-side for 1,000 years... at some point, Diana makes a pass at Clark who holds faithful to the idea of Lois without being certain that they'll ever get back to their own world or time.

Independently, I never really had any problem with either Action #761 or JLA #74... but together it's a little weird that Kelly finds that Diana would be compatible with either then puts his foot down and says, "No!" In some sense, that's how love can work, but it's a little odd he broached the topic more than once. I don't know how I feel about that.
Well, the Action Comics story was written within the context of the ongoing saga of the Lois/Clark marriage, and the stresses being put upon it by recent events: Superman getting photographed with a wedding band, Lois keeping secrets and growing distant, etc. There's also the greater context of, well, Superman and Wonder Woman being inescapable, and how everyone just assumes that's either a thing or going to be a thing. Not simply within this story, to an insecure Lois' consternation, or among the general populace of the DC Universe, but also in the real world; for decades many writers have played on that super-pairing with all manner of scenarios in which a Superman unburdened by a certain intrepid reporter is free to live out his Amazon-filled fantasies. "For a Thousand Years" is not just Joe Kelly saying "NO!" to the presumed inevitable; it's his way of taking that commonly-held assumption and re-purposing it to reaffirm and strengthen the love between Lois and Clark, similar to how Grant Morrison used the ending of DC One Million to reaffirm that love as eternal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom