• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes me curious of we ever will get a fullfledged Crisis on the big screen.

That would be pretty incredible, but difficult to capture the scope of it in one movie (or even two). The whole nature of the beast is tied into them being ridiculous line-wide extravaganzas.

I do fully expect a Final Crisis adaptation at some point, though.

I doubt we'll ever get a direct adaptation of a crisis but I'm sure we'll get a movie titled crisis when we get to the point that they either want to go out with a bang or do a cast switch.

If they do a crisis I imagine it will involve Superboy prime, some quick cameos (or maybe more) by tv characters, the multiverse (need that 52), maybe anti monitor.

For some reason I picture the DCEU more likely to go out like Kingdom Come than any of the crisis.

IconGrist

I'm not very knowledgeable with Marvel - do they have a multiverse? I know I've heard things like "Ultimate universe" and "Marvel 616 timeline". Are these happening side by side with one another like DC's Infinite Earths?

I'm not very knowledgeable with Marvel - do they have a multiverse? I know I've heard things like "Ultimate universe" and "Marvel 616 timeline". Are these happening side by side with one another like DC's Infinite Earths?

They have (had? now with Secret Wars) infinite universes. 616 was their main storyline. I don't think they had as much focus on the multiverse like DC has. Secret Wars, which is going on right now, is similar to COIE where the earths are all collapsing on each other, resulting in a merged battleworld. They're bringing some of their ultimate universe characters into their main story. I don't know if their multiverse is gone now or what, secret wars is still going on.

Penguin

Some rumors you just take at face value and don't question, but I guess Chris Pine was never officially announced for Wonder Woman, but he does share that he's in the film

http://www.premiere.fr/Cinema/News-Cinema/Wonder-Woman-va-etre-tourne-en-pellicule-4285783

"I'm super excited, of course, Gal Gadot is super talented, Patty Jenkins will perform, and we will shoot in film ... What excites me most is to turn in a movie with a superhero woman. With a woman in the lead role. I am a team with this intelligent, beautiful and strong to destroy the wicked and save humanity. The routine, whatever

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That would be pretty incredible, but difficult to capture the scope of it in one movie (or even two). The whole nature of the beast is tied into them being ridiculous line-wide extravaganzas.

Can you sum me up what going on in Final Crisis?

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway, Goyer on Supes killing Zod:

"The way I work, the way Chris [Nolan] works, is you do what’s right for the story. That exists entirely separately from what fans should or shouldn’t think of that character. You have to do what’s right for the story. In that instance, this was a Superman who had only been Superman for like, a week. He wasn’t Superman as we think of him in the DC Comics...or even in a world that conceived of Superman existing. He’d only flown for the first time a few days before that. He’d never fought anyone that had super powers before. And so he’s going up against a guy who’s not only super-powered, but has been training since birth to use those super powers, who exists as a superhuman killing machine, who has stated, ‘I will never stop until I destroy all of humanity.’ If you take Superman out of it, what’s the right way to tell that story? I think the right way to tell that story is if you take this powered alien who says, ‘You can have your race back, but you have to kill your adopted race,’ the moral, horrible situation to be in is to actually be forced to kill, not wanting to, the only other person from your race. Take Superman aside, I think that’s the right way to tell that story."

Nolan was against the idea iirc, anyway: it was the right thing to do and it was executed good. Superman killed in the comics (and probably in some of the animated stuff), so where this 'Superman does not kill' comes from is beyond me. Didn't he also kill in the second Superman movie (Reeve version)? And it looked great. So powerful.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Mackie was joking and a bit out of his depth when he couldn't get the interviewer on his side shitting on DC. Cyans comment closer was also funny. But yeah, we don't need entire threads dedicated to this rabid fanboy bickering. Its tedious.
Mackie seems often to try to be funny and fails miserably with it all the time.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Mackie seems often to try to be funny and fails miserably with it all the time.

More than that it is stupid. I highly doubt it says in his contract that he has to shit on DC and their movies during interviews, so why do it? You are getting paid, just do your job. Some banter? Fine, really. Nothing wrong with that. Momoa did the same a while back.

But this isn't the first time iirc. One day you might be interested in a project you really want to do (or several for that matter) and it get's picked up by WB or Snyder is hired to direct it....why would they cast you after you publicly kept saying how awful they are at what they do? Not that great of an actor so they could easily get someone else. Granted, these people might be not childish and cast you anyway if they feel you are fit for the part. But still. Seems like something that could backfire easily while not being worth it.

IconGrist

Superman will kill and will allow the JL to kill as a last resort but only as the absolute last resort. He once kicked Wonder Woman out of the Justice League because she killed Maxwell Lord instead of killing Superman (who was being controlled by Lord). I believe even Batman was calling for WW to kill Superman but I may be misremembering.

The thing I don't understand with MoS threads is if you hate the movie so much, why talk about it in the first place. It's been 3 years and it's pretty much an obsession at this point. Not only that but the vehemency at people that say they liked it is odd.

The other thing I find odd is people acting like WB has never made a great super hero film. It's like some revisionist history trying to erase Nolan's trilogy.

IconGrist

The thing I don't understand with MoS threads is if you hate the movie so much, why talk about it in the first place. It's been 3 years and it's pretty much an obsession at this point. Not only that but the vehemency at people that say they liked it is odd.

The other thing I find odd is people acting like WB has never made a great super hero film. It's like some revisionist history trying to erase Nolan's trilogy.

Marvel is on top right now. WB is a challenger to some non-existent throne. They must be met with as much opposition as possible. So in case you didn't know MoS sucked you will be continously reminded of it until any hype for further WB movies is diminished. Or Superman is killed by Batman and DC drops the character entirely.

Whichever comes first.

I'm baffled when people do it for anything. If I hate something, I'm sure as hell not going to devote anymore time to it moving forward. Sometimes, it feels like some are stuck in a time where it was cool to shit on Man of Steel and they don't realize people are tired of hearing about it now.

Loxley

I'm baffled when people do it for anything. If I hate something, I'm sure as hell not going to devote anymore time to it moving forward. Sometimes, it feels like some are stuck in a time where it was cool to shit on Man of Steel and they don't realize people are tired of hearing about it now.

This is exactly why I got tired of the endless whining about the Star Wars prequels long before the Plinkett reviews came along.

I mean, I'm a massive Tolkien fan and The Lord of the Rings (both the book and the films) is my favorite thing on planet Earth aside from my family, friends, and Superman. Was I disappointed with the Hobbit films? Certainly (though I do enjoy An Unexpected Journey for what it is), but I'm not going to go out of my way to remind people of what a disappointment they ended up being for the rest of my life. Why bother? What's to be gained? I know folks like to have their opinions validated, hence the number of "Am I the only one who thinks _________ sucked/is overrated?" threads we get on both sides of GAF, but it's just not worth it. There's too much awesome stuff out there that I actually enjoy discussing.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Cool, still want a Court of Owls movie tho. I hope they do it differently with their standalones, have it not be a world threatening thing. That never made sense to me with the Marvel movies, the others should just show up at that point. But Batman investigating a secret court or trying to find out who this Red Hood is? Much more interesting and no need for Supes or something to help him.

I hope that Eastwood thing was also true. That'd be nice.

Curious if that Geoff Johns/Affleck script was true then. The movie should be officially announced and slotted soon. I'm guessing 2017.

edit: 2017 probably too early considering they're shooting JL early next year and he'll probably be busy, I'm guessing 2018 then.

guek

Banned
People tend to enjoy reinforcing their own opinions, particularly when it comes to movies because of how easy it is to do. When those opinions are positive, they can be fun to read regardless of whether you agree or not. But I think a person can take only so much trash talk before it becomes mundane. At least with MoS though, the movie is usually brought up in earnest before its trashed. There are some posters who will shit talk other properties in completely unreleated threads for no reason other than because they like seeing themselves say that something that's popular sucks. It's bizarre.

I don't think this is really about WB though and has more to do with Snyder. Unless you're talking about the thread on the new Joker, in which case, I think that's just people being cynical about change :p

They'll change their tune if the movie actually ends up good.

IconGrist

I don't think this is really about WB though and has more to do with Snyder. Unless you're talking about the thread on the new Joker, in which case, I think that's just people being cynical about change :p

They'll change their tune if the movie actually ends up good.

Snyder's hate is funny too. Man of Steel is divisive and Sucker Punch is laughed at all the time but people generally like 300, Watchmen and the Dawn of the Dead remake. He directed that Superman 75th Anniversary animated short and I've never heard anyone talk shit about that. People act like he's the worst director to ever infect Hollywood. A bad writer? Sure but even Sucker Punch is beautiful to watch with the sound off, lol.

guek

Banned
Snyder's hate is funny too. Man of Steel is divisive and Sucker Punch is laughed at all the time but people generally like 300, Watchmen and the Dawn of the Dead remake. He directed that Superman 75th Anniversary animated short and I've never heard anyone talk shit about that. People act like he's the worst director to ever infect Hollywood. A bad writer? Sure but even Sucker Punch is beautiful to watch with the sound off, lol.

Unfortunately, everyone is always judged pretty much solely by their latest effort. I chuckled internally when people acted so shocked that Ridley Scott did a good job on The Martian. It was like - Oh yeah! I forgot this guy actually has some talent!

ReiGun

]Unfortunately, everyone is always judged pretty much solely by their latest effort.[/B] I chuckled internally when people acted so shocked that Ridley Scott did a good job on The Martian. It was like - Oh yeah! I forgot this guy actually has some talent!

Yeah the internet is very "what have you done for me lately." Combine that with the penchant for hyperbole, and anyone can catch shit very quickly.

Posted this in the Batman v Superman tread instead of here by mistake

So that whole Slade/TDK continuation thing brought up something I hadn't been thinking about.

So lets say we have Catwoman in Batman 1, barring a prequel Catwoman would typically be around mid 40s-50 with Batflek...
Which Idk just seems a bit weird for Catwoman.
However if you de-age her to around 35 then you get a 3-5year old at the time of Batman first starting up at 18-20 which is just weird all around(romance, character development and the fact that you have a 13-15 year Batman career before Catwoman shows up).

Im hoping either Catwoman is already a full ally in current times or Selina moved on to
Screen-Shot-2014-02-16-at-9.54.25-am.png.jpeg

guek

Banned
If we can suspend disbelief for a 43yr old Ben Affleck being the pinnacle of human physicality, we can't we do the same for a smokin' hot Selina Kyle in her late 30s/early 40s?

Shaanyboi

Banned

Final Crisis would only be a good movie if they focused entirely on Darkseid already being on Earth, turning humanity into slaves, the remaining heroes running for their lives trying to shelter what's left of the civilian population, and the cultish overtones while ignore all the multiverse nonsense. As it stands, Final Crisis: Revelation was a far better read than the regular Final Crisis book which is Morrison being as Morrison as possible in the worst ways.

IconGrist

If we can suspend disbelief for a 43yr old Ben Affleck being the pinnacle of human physicality, we can't we do the same for a smokin' hot Selina Kyle in her late 30s/early 40s?

Honestly I can't imagine anyone is going to be focusing on her age anyway. Or why they would. Looks can be deceiving as evidenced by all the Eisenberg age complaints even though he's Cavill's age.

VanWinkle

Posted this in the Batman v Superman tread instead of here by mistake

So that whole Slade/TDK continuation thing brought up something I hadn't been thinking about.

So lets say we have Catwoman in Batman 1, barring a prequel Catwoman would typically be around mid 40s-50 with Batflek...
Which Idk just seems a bit weird for Catwoman.
However if you de-age her to around 35 then you get a 3-5year old at the time of Batman first starting up at 18-20 which is just weird all around(romance, character development and the fact that you have a 13-15 year Batman career before Catwoman shows up).

Wait, is Batman supposed to be 48-50 years old in the next Batman movie? That seems kind of crazy to me.

I figured he would be portrayed around Superman's age.

VanWinkle

He's coming out of retirement, and had two Robins already. He wouldn't be in his early 30's.

Yeah, but almost 50? That would mean that he started being Batman like thirty years before. I don't know. Just seems kind of unlikely, but I guess if that's what they want to do.

I wonder if the standalone Batman movies will be prequels, then.

Edit: actually in the trailer I just watched again, he said "20 years in Gotham, and how many good guys are left?" So maybe he's around 40?

Yeah, but almost 50? That would mean that he started being Batman like thirty years before. I don't know. Just seems kind of unlikely, but I guess if that's what they want to do.

I wonder if the standalone Batman movies will be prequels, then.

Edit: actually in the trailer I just watched again, he said "20 years in Gotham, and how many good guys are left?" So maybe he's around 40?

Isn't Batman traditionally 30 when he starts fighting crime? Not too familiar with the comics buts how old he was in Batman Begins.

I have a feeling they'll just pass him off as 40-ish. No real specifics.

VanWinkle

Isn't Batman traditionally 30 when he starts fighting crime? Not too familiar with the comics buts how old he was in Batman Begins.

I have a feeling they'll just pass him off as 40-ish. No real specifics.

Differs, but usually in the 20-30 range. But, yeah, I could see him being around 40 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom