• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get this at all... as a director, you're making the best movie you can put into theaters. You don't make a movie 3 hours long, then hack away at it taking away connective tissue and then release it in theaters. This movie should've been made for 2.5 hours, not 4 hours then cut down (or however long one of the cuts was).

When Nolan was asked why he never does extended cuts, he said he doesn't waste film. What's supposed to be filmed is filmed, the fat is trimmed before the cameras ever roll because that's a waste of money.

I'm starting to think BvS was suppose to be two parts or something. Or I think they were going to not have much trouble releasing a 3 hour movie.

Funny, I think Nolan would have no problem trying to release a 3 hour movie. WB loves Nolan more then anyone. Then again Nolan's a writer so his script might not have been to bloated.

IconGrist

It's not like filming a 3+ hour movie and then trimming it down is some new concept. Or a sign of incompetence. Movies get shot, cut, screened, recut, screened, recut, screened, recut, reshot, recut, finalized, screened, recut, finalized, released theatrically, recut, original and recut editions released on home video. That happens all the time across every major studio.

Poona

Anyone think WW gets moved from its June release date? June 2017 is jam packed with films every week and early July has Spider-Man and Planet of the Apes.

I'm hoping they can bring it forward rather than move it back.

I know they're still shooting it but I want to see it now.

Firemind

To me, it's 100% that Lex knows
who Clark and Bruce really are at that point, which is why the meeting in the trailer is him entertaining himself
remember by the end of the film
he claims responsibility for pushing Bruce over the edge with notes so he definitely knows Bruce's secret ID as well
... which means that entire event was orchestrated (and why Mercy accepts his lame excuse). That means Lex
leaks only files he wants Bruce to have... the question then is why does he want the Batman to know about Wonder Woman, Flash, and Cyborg? If I had to speculate, for similar reasons he's using Batman as his champion against Superman... if Batman survives, he can piggyback off of Bruce's efforts in hunting down those other metahumans, and reinforce Lex's thesis
Oh yeah I definitely got Lex knows that. It's just that
he wants to push Bruce over the edge so that he will fight Clark. Might as well leak some more files that put Superman into a worse light. You're right though. Lex probably wouldn't want to leak the fact that Clark has a mother named Martha. :p

Lex really is the mastermind in this movie. Loved Jesse's performance as well.
That helipad scene got even better the second time I watched it. Just brilliant. How he casually walks to the helicopter after "And now God bends to MY will." Chills.

Just read in some BvS thread that Batman & Robin is a better film. I don't know what's happening anymore.

it's better than the schumacher batmans and batman 66. that's it.

batman though....god damn. i know some dc fans would be very opposed to this but they should just delay justice league or aquaman or whatever that's not in production at this moment and throw a batman movie in.

make it like his intro when the cops are investigating that house....phew. a nice atmospheric movie.

Bleepey

Why not make the Batman v Superman part one movie, and the Dawn of Justice part the other movie?

I think there are Union rules where you can't split a film into two, it's probably so they can't rip of actors and staff. I think it was put in pace cos of Superman 1 infact.

antovolk

It's not like filming a 3+ hour movie and then trimming it down is some new concept. Or a sign of incompetence. Movies get shot, cut, screened, recut, screened, recut, screened, recut, reshot, recut, finalized, screened, recut, finalized, released theatrically, recut, original and recut editions released on home video. That happens all the time across every major studio.

But the case here is basically that Snyder basically delivered a nearly finished 3 hour film that was his preferred final cut and WB were probably intending to put that out theatrically....they they just both got cold feet and went 'oh that's not gonna work' too late when the film was pretty much done.

I bet part of it is 70mm IMAX - there's still a 2h45 limit on the platters. That was the main reason Watchmen got initially cut down, as they couldn't release it IMAX otherwise as at the time most of them were 70mm film based. Even Interstellar had speeded up/different credits crawl to fit.

Funny, I think Nolan would have no problem trying to release a 3 hour movie. WB loves Nolan more then anyone. Then again Nolan's a writer so his script might not have been to bloated.

Think Snyder sort of alluded to that in an interview - saying that he could've gone like James Cameron and said "it's gonna be 3 hours, suck it" but he didn't want to do that.

Cheebo

Banned
It's a contest to see who can discredit BvS the most. In 6 months it will be the worst movie of the decade.
It's a valid point and I suspect will become the commonly held opinion. I really liked MoS and was hyped for BvS but Batman and Robin is without question the more entertaining and enjoyable film. It did what it set out to do. BvS is a mess with no consistent tone at all. As a film yeah B&R is better.

It's a valid point and I suspect will become the commonly held opinion. I really liked MoS and was hyped for BvS but Batman and Robin is without question the more entertaining and enjoyable film. It did what it set out to do. BvS is a mess with no consistent tone at all. As a film yeah B&R is better.
Lol. Nope that film is objectively hot trash. You should watch it again.

Man the internet, the nuthouse of the world.

Cheebo

Banned
Lol. Nope that film is objectively hot trash. You should watch it again.

Man the internet, the nuthouse of the world.
The movie is cheesy and insane but the whole thing is fun. It's insanity is entertaining. In the same way a really bad Bond movie is fun to watch. BvS would be very difficult to sit through again. I will make myself for the extended cut but B&R is a more fun watch for sure. I have seen B&R times I know what it is. I love Batman so I have marathoned those four films many times.

B&R clearly wins in the department of having a consistent tone and editing. For context my top 5 super hero movies are:

1. Batman '89
2. Batman Begins
3. Superman: The Movie
4. The Dark Knight
5. X-Men 2

Tabby

Just read in some BvS thread that Batman & Robin is a better film. I don't know what's happening anymore.

People have been hating on this movie for months now, now that it's gotten mixed/bad reviews they get to say "I told you so." and having fun on hating this movie.

The movie is cheesy and insane but the whole thing is fun. It's insanity is entertaining. In the same way a really bad Bond movie is fun to watch. BvS would be very difficult to sit through again. I will make myself for the extended cut but B&R is a more fun watch for sure. I have seen B&R times I know what it is. I love Batman so I have marathoned those four films many times.

B&R clearly wins in the department of having a consistent tone and editing. For context my top 5 super hero movies are:

1. Batman '89
2. Batman Begins
3. Superman: The Movie
4. The Dark Knight
5. X-Men 2

I understand that you were more entertained by B & R, I was entertained too when I saw it for the 1st time, but there's more to it than that to be a good movie. I respect your ranking as well, no beef with that either.

However BvS does have a consistent tone, the editing and scene pacing does need adjustment though. I can see the merit of the criticism, but IMO people are taking this way too far.

In BvS you can claim, regardless if you particularly liked them, the acting ranges from solid to great across the board, you can't say the same about B & R, likewise cinematography, B & R has a cringe factor that brakes the scales, it does have more action scenes but there's nothing there that can touch the warehouse scene in BvS which I think it has better quality actions scenes but less of them, no need to talk about practical/CGI effects. Like the only things that B & R has BvS beat it's consistent editing, scenes pacing and more action scenes. If you give more importance to that, then it makes sense to rate it more highly personally. I disagree though.

RSLYG

Are you saying there are some 'dedicated haters' even before this movie was release?

Everybody need a hobby, I guess.

Can someone tell me the release schedule of WW and JL? I thought WW was early 2017, but June is planned. So JL must be pretty close to summer because of Star Wars ?

Snaku

Banned
Is it wrong that I get some satisfaction by the gutted reactions in OT that it didn't set the record for biggest second weekend drop?

Sölf

Edit:
oops, wrong thread. xD

Edit: May as well make a new post in here.

Any ideas who that guy from the Communion deleted scene is?

Sölf;200020098 said:
Edit:
oops, wrong thread. xD

Edit: May as well make a new post in here.

Any ideas who that guy from the Communion deleted scene is?

Steppenwolf or Yuga Kahn. Either way, they're not going straight to Darkseid, which is interesting.

Sölf;200020250 said:
I have like no idea who those are, so I just read some stuff in the wiki now. Thanks for the names. xD

Heh.

The former is Darkseid's uncle, and his greatest general. The latter is Darkseid's father and predecessor on the throne of Apokalips.

RDreamer

Now that people in the spoilers thread are bashing the "I thought she was with you" line, I think we've reached well past the bottom of the barrel of nitpicking. I can't even deal with this level....

Sölf

Heh.

The former is Darkseid's uncle, and his greatest general. The latter is Darkseid's father and predecessor on the throne of Apokalips.

Considering I also had no idea who Darkseid was before reading up on it... I just read up on it myself. xD
I am no comic reader (I think I have the first 3 New 52 Batman issues), so most of my DC knowledge comes from the various Batman movies, Arkham games, the new Arrowverse and reading up stuff myself on the wiki. Like this living street hero. Seriously DC, what the fuck.

Sölf;200021014 said:
Considering I also had no idea who Darkseid was before reading up on it... I just read up on it myself. xD
I am no comic reader (I think I have the first 3 New 52 Batman issues), so most of my DC knowledge comes from the various Batman movies, Arkham games, the new Arrowverse and reading up stuff myself on the wiki. Like this living street hero. Seriously DC, what the fuck.

Danny the Street is great, don't you be hating. We should be so lucky as to get him in live action.

ReiGun

People have been hating on this movie for months now, now that it's gotten mixed/bad reviews they get to say "I told you so." and having fun on hating this movie.
Yup.

The only thing that gets me are the condescending attitudes toward people who liked the movie or whose posts can even be seen as defending it. That's so unnecessary and a big part of the reason I don't post much around here anymore.

Like or dislike a movie all you want. Just don't be a prick.

IconGrist

Now that people in the spoilers thread are bashing the "I thought she was with you" line, I think we've reached well past the bottom of the barrel of nitpicking. I can't even deal with this level....

I randomly dropped by the spoiler thread last night and saw people still complaining about the bats at the beginning. I just rolled my eyes and went back to reading about Superman's dumb costume.

Ross61

Don't mean to sound like a Stan because I'm not but how is 900 mil not a success? For a movie of this reception, that sounds really great.

Ross61

It is not a success, because it is Batman and Superman. Also, both last Batman movies made more than 1bn each.
Those were way better better movies with overwhelming acclaim. Compared to this which has been a clusterfuck event , it's lucky it's probably getting that much.

Boke1879

Don't mean to sound like a Stan because I'm not but how is 900 mil not a success? For a movie of this reception, that sounds really great.

It should have made over 1 billion. That said. This gives them enough incentive to continue with their plans but keep a tighter leash on things. 1 billion is really only good for optics. I think it's really nitpicky when you start to complain about 900 million to 1.1 billion.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
TDKR wasn't that great. It is laughable at points.

BUZsXK1.jpg

It has to make at least 800 million to break even. People defending the movie keep on spinning the numbers to make it look like a big success, but in reality it needs the third weekend to be as good as the second to turn a profit. BvS barely breaking even in three weeks internationally is terrible. Deadpool kicks the shit out of this domestically, and it was R rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom