• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

People are being awfully optimistic in thinking that WB's take away from their DC films not being critical or financial successes will be "Let's do what the fans want!" and not "Fuck it. We'll do something else."

Cause I'm 99% certain it will be the latter.

This is what some fans want... a complete overhaul, new actors and everything. Good luck, we'll be waiting another 10-15 years.
Fixed. No way they'll have the gumption to start trying things like Wonder Woman or Suicide Squad again in just five years if all their movies flop.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm at a loss to find the beneficial outcome of the financial failure others see. I'd love a course correct but suggestions of burning it all down, as if the reboot is next year? I see it another way. WB gets cold feet and we don't see DC films for many years. That'd be disappointing.

At least there is LEGO Batman.
Exactly. People rooting for this to fail and be "reboot" are practically hoping for an end to DCCU. If they cancel JL or future movies we may not see another try for 10-15 years. Screw that.

This is what some fans want... a complete overhaul, new actors and everything. Good luck, we'll be waiting another 4-5 years.

HA

No.

8 years minimum. Those fans are, frankly, idiots. There's good stuff here, I'd rather they keep going at it and improving rather than abandoning things entirely. So maybe JL isn't as good as it could be, SS looks fun, I've got faith in JL, Aquaman and Flash certainly have at least a chance. Screw ditching all that just because BvS didn't land right. And that's assuming they try a cinematic universe at all EVER. They'd probably just go back to making standalone stuff.

a916

HA

No.

8 years minimum. Those fans are, frankly, idiots. There's good stuff here, I'd rather they keep going at it and improving rather than abandoning things entirely. So maybe JL isn't as good as it could be, SS looks fun, I've got faith in JL, Aquaman and Flash certainly have at least a chance. Screw ditching all that just because BvS didn't land right.

Yeah I think that's the best bet. Build off this investment by course correcting.

Tone down the budgets? Make it easier for these moves to be more profitable so when you don't cross 1B, it's not a flop.

IconGrist

HA

No.

8 years minimum. Those fans are, frankly, idiots. There's good stuff here, I'd rather they keep going at it and improving rather than abandoning things entirely. So maybe JL isn't as good as it could be, SS looks fun, I've got faith in JL, Aquaman and Flash certainly have at least a chance. Screw ditching all that just because BvS didn't land right.

Yea I'm not getting younger. I want these movies now. As someone in the minority group that actually really liked BvS the DCEU has been good to me. Fuck waiting another decade for the reboot starring Batman and friends.

ReiGun

HA

No.

8 years minimum. Those fans are, frankly, idiots. There's good stuff here, I'd rather they keep going at it and improving rather than abandoning things entirely. So maybe JL isn't as good as it could be, SS looks fun, I've got faith in JL, Aquaman and Flash certainly have at least a chance. Screw ditching all that just because BvS didn't land right. And that's assuming they try a cinematic universe at all EVER. They'd probably just go back to making standalone stuff.

This is a good point too. Saying they should scrap everything assumes all their films will be as poorly received as BvS. What if SS or WW become big hits? What if JLA doesn't land right, but people still walk away wanting to see more Flash or Aquaman? They could just as easily shift gears to focusing on solo stuff.

ElNarez

Banned
People are being awfully optimistic in thinking that WB's take away from their DC films not being critical or financial successes will be "Let's do what the fans want!" and not "Fuck it. We'll do something else."

My money's on "Eh, all we really have to do is just do what Disney did with Star Wars and keep the critics either far the fuck away or under draconian non-disclosure agreements so we get at least two weeks on that motherfucker"

ReiGun

My money's on "Eh, all we really have to do is just do what Disney did with Star Wars and keep the critics either far the fuck away or under draconian non-disclosure agreements so we get at least two weeks on that motherfucker"

Yes, game industry-ing it is also an option. lol

You need to adjust things. Rebooting the whole universe wouldn't work. I like Cavill, Affleck, Gadot, Fishburne and I am pretty sure I will like Miller and Momoa too.

Then there is Suicide Squad, something entirely different from the looks of it. Which will also introduce magic to the universe. I think the only thing I really want them to change is getting rid off Snyder. He should do Justice League as planned though. Batman v Superman not getting to one billion is a huge disappointment.

Thing is, after MoS mixed reception people expected something that is positively received, and this didn't happend here. I think the movie is decent.

ElNarez

Banned
Yes, game industry-ing it is also an option. lol

It's much simpler than firing a reliable director who does what you ask him to and brings a reasonable amount of cash and retooling your entire corporate strategy because of the wishes of some idiots and Devin Faraci.

PBY

Banned
It's much simpler than firing a reliable director who does what you ask him to and brings a reasonable amount of cash and retooling your entire corporate strategy because of the wishes of some idiots and Devin Faraci.
"Reasonable amount of cash" is the problem. This movie needed to do numbers.

If his movies don't review well and don't hit projections, I mean, what do you expect WB to do.

If his movies don't review well and don't hit projections, I mean, what do you expect WB to do.

Not panic? Realize that ditching Snyder and retooling the whole line at this point would probably do more harm than good? Idk.

ElNarez

Banned

Both problems have wayyyy easier fixes than literally jettisoning your entire apparatus.

Plus, BvS is actually a really good movie, so, firing Snyder is just more trouble than it's worth.

ReiGun

Certainly not take him off the film a week before they start shooting or completely rearrange their filming schedule like some loonies are suggesting.

JL will happen as planned. Any meetings going on now will likely be about what happens afterward.

jackdoe

They ask him to critic proof Justice League. Batman v Superman was one to two action sequences away from being critic proof. As it stands, Batman v Superman doesn't have enough action sequences, and the action sequences in there aren't exactly very spectacular. One of them is a jumbled mess, one of them isn't fun (by design and I appreciate that), one of them should have happened earlier in the movie, and the last has way too much CGI.

They can keep the tone. They just need to make the spectacle of the movie outweigh any potential technical shortcomings in the film and any potential negative critical reception.

PBY

Banned
Both problems have wayyyy easier fixes than literally jettisoning your entire apparatus.

Plus, BvS is actually a really good movie, so, firing Snyder is just more trouble than it's worth.

Not panic? Realize that ditching Snyder and retooling the whole line at this point would probably do more harm than good? Idk.
I don't think a hard shift is the move, and def not a reboot. They can keep Snyder but maybe should bring in someone else to co-handle

I don't think a hard shift is the move, and def not a reboot. They can keep Snyder but maybe should bring in someone else to co-handle

I could get behind that, yeah. Having Affleck outright codirect or handle the final cut could definitely work.

If nothing else, I think that the DC is gonna demonstrate that however long the movie needs to be, it needs to be.

a916

I could get behind that, yeah. Having Affleck outright codirect or handle the final cut could definitely work.

If nothing else, I think that the DC is gonna demonstrate that however long the movie needs to be, it needs to be.

With a stable of talent they have, I can't believe this movie had 15-16 months after it wrapped and they still came out with a product this poorly reviewed (I loved it).

To me, that's mind boggling.. any issues that could've been addressed, should've anytime last year. I'm pretty sure they did focus testing and the such.

jmood88

They ask him to critic proof Justice League. Batman v Superman was one to two action sequences away from being critic proof. As it stands, Batman v Superman doesn't have enough action sequences, and the action sequences in there aren't exactly very spectacular. One of them is a jumbled mess, one of them isn't fun (by design and I appreciate that), one of them should have happened earlier in the movie, and the last has way too much CGI.

They can keep the tone. They just need to make the spectacle of the movie outweigh any potential technical shortcomings in the film and any potential negative critical reception.
Lol, so now reviewers just care about action.

ReiGun

Lol, so now reviewers just care about action.

That's not what he meant.

What he means he making it a simpler, more "fun" movie focused on spectacle that will play better with general audiences. BvS wasn't sunk just because of the technical shortcomings; it also lacked things for the general audience who are more forgiving of such issues to sink their teeth into.

Poorly put together film + film lacking in spectacle = film that both critics and audiences aren't here for. Stop trying to turn everything someone says about the critical reaction of this film into the flailing of a butthurt fanboy.

Creating a LEGO DCEU would be amazing. All the comedy you need.

I think that's what we're going to get starting next year considering the Justice League appeared in the trailer for Lego Batman. I'm not saying that it's going to replace the DCCU but it could end up becoming bigger than people expect. The Lego Batman games have sold record numbers. They are a lot of fun and well written even for adults and the last one was more Justice League than Batman anyway. I could see a future where we have a fun and colorful Justice League movie in 5 years except it will be called Lego Batman 2.

Dunno if you all saw it, but RT had a funny april fools joke where WB announced Plastic Man.

Or a gaming universe.

Man that would make me feel so good right now, a Superman, JL or Squad game announcement. Still have the JL tv series scheduled for later this year with some major talent behind it, but that 11 min runtime is so disappointing.

Call me biased for the amount of posts I have ITT, but from a weeks worth of articles and posts dissecting the movie I came out liking it a lot more now.

The story makes more sense the 2nd time and Superman works a lot better than I thought before. Batman killing is still an utter thematic failure though, and I was too harsh on the editing but there are still 3-4 jarring things.

I originally rated it a 5, bumped that shit up to a 7.8/10. Gimme the directors cut today Zack. And yes, I still love Zack Snyder and want him to make Justice League a masterpiece. Reboot talk is asinine.

Cooter

Call me biased for the amount of posts I have ITT, but from a weeks worth of articles and posts dissecting the movie I came out liking it a lot more now.

The story makes more sense the 2nd time and Superman works a lot better than I thought before. Batman killing is still an utter thematic failure though, and I was too harsh on the editing but there are still 3-4 jarring things.

I originally rated it a 5, bumped that shit up to a 7.8/10. Gimme the directors cut today Zack. And yes, I still love Zack Snyder and want him to make Justice League a masterpiece. Reboot talk is asinine.
Welcome to the bad taste club. In a few years people will make fun of us like the people who like ASM2.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
You guys are worrying too much. Nope, the DC slate is not in trouble. At most we'll get some behind the scenes reshuffling of creative teams but that's it. WB needs a bankable franchise now, they have jackshit at the moment so at the very least all these movies till JL1 are safe. After that we'll see.

The most I could see them doing in terms of scheduling is pushing back JL1 and fastracking one of the solo movies.

Seriously X-men was almost dead in the water before First Class, just took 1 good movie (first class) and look how DoFP turned out.

Cooter

Shit people were being made fun of for liking Jurassic World and The Force Awakens within a week of release.
True but at least those people had massive BO numbers and decent to good reviews to throw back in their face. We're all alone on an island guys.

Cooter

No, they'd just go "but Doomsday looked like a cave troll."
Ugh...Typical overindulgence by the hack Snyder. Besides, that's all Fong anyway.

And a preemptive the score sucked. Too much loud percussion. All sounded the same. Affleck was overrated, Cavill only has one expression, and Gadot was barely in it too judge her performance.

No, they'd just go "but Doomsday looked like a cave troll."

Found some Doomsday concept art earlier. Moves farther from comic Doomsday, but he's got that grotesque monster look. Closer to Solomon Grundy.

xjwHX3v.jpg

xqkdQ7j.jpg

GIN6yRJ.jpg

Ugh...Typical overindulgence by the hack Snyder. Besides, that's all Fong anyway.

Cinematographer is not responsible for approving the appearance of the character

And doomsday looked almost exactly like the lotr cave troll. WETA prolly didn't give a shit haha

Hell this isn't the first time this happened. It almost looks like ILM rehashed some of their transformers 3 work with that giant worm in avengers

For Batman i'd take straight story adaptations.
Everyone else can be whatever.

Batman I basically want.
Under the Red Hood(100% of the animated movie, i'd add more Nightwing, maybe Batgirl and a bit Catwoman)
Mask of the Phantasm(100% maybe a bit of Catwoman or Selina in the contemporary side)

Hush(loose)
Court of Owls (loose)

Batgirl in Red Hood is a must if Barbara is in the Ultimate Cut of BvS.
Selina would be a full supporting character of the trilogy if it was up to me.

Honestly, the rumored synopsis of the Batfleck film that Joblo gave last year sounded a lot like a blend of Under the Red Hood and Mask of the Phantasm to me.

According to our sources, the basic plotline of Affleck’s solo Batfilm is that Jason Todd has returned from the grave as the Red Hood, working in the shadows to make people think he's Batman, while making Batman look like a criminal. At the same time he leaves clues about his identity for Bruce/Batman to ultimately solve, leading to a confrontation that will involve Batman, Red Hood, and yes, The Joker, who will feature as a primary villain alongside Red Hood.
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exc...o-batman-film-and-key-characters-involved-298

All that matters is that I enjoyed the film immensely. And it's made 587 million WW already. I just do not want a DCEU where they are churning out movies like Thor the dark world. I saw that the other day, in the middle of the big action finale you have Thor taking the subway? Really?

onipex

Fixed. No way they'll have the gumption to start trying things like Wonder Woman or Suicide Squad again in just five years if all their movies flop.

Yup, this is pretty much what I posted in a couple threads in the OT. People don't understand that as a business these movies needs to make WB money and if they don't the universe is done.If the reception is so negative that it makes moving forward too much of a risk the universe is done.

a916

Batman in the concept book has a lot of white eyes...

All that matters is that I enjoyed the film immensely. And it's made 587 million WW already. I just do not want a DCEU where they are churning out movies like Thor the dark world. I saw that the other day, in the middle of the big action finale you have Thor taking the subway? Really?

I've mocked Marvel for doing really dumb puns/quips at the worst possible time but that doesn't sound real...

ReiGun

Yup, this is pretty much what I posted in a couple threads in the OT. People don't understand that as a business these movies needs to make WB money and if they don't the universe is done.If the reception is so negative that it makes moving forward too much of a risk the universe is done.

They're only doing these movies because they don't have a big IP to fill the void left by Harry Potter, LoTR, or the Nolan Batman films. If they find something else to fill that spot, and if the DC movies don't work out, they'll drop them. They're no obligated to make these movies, but fans seem to act like they are.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
They're only doing these movies because they don't have a big IP to fill the void left by Harry Potter, LoTR, or the Nolan Batman films. If they find something else to fill that spot, and if the DC movies don't work out, they'll drop them. They're no obligated to make these movies, but fans seem to act like they are.

They still got Nolan, he seems like a safe bet. The HP spin offs could make a lot of money. So there is that I guess?

Worst case scenario they'll stick to Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom