• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
No sane person can try and claim the general reaction to Rises was anything short of highly positive. Had great legs and strong audience reviews. And was critically very well recieived.

No sane person can try and claim the general reaction to Rises was anything short of highly positive. Had great legs and strong audience reviews. And was critically very well recieived.

When you have to spin a failure into a success, you start by retroactively claiming everything else is shit, so the flawed product looks better.

IconGrist

If BvS makes over $900 million I will be truly surprised. You'd think given the combined properties that would be an easy get but WoM really slapped this movie around. 900 is a good sweet spot number. It's enough for WB to know we care but not enough for WB to think they can just throw these out all willy nilly.

3N16MA

Banned
Don't mean to sound like a Stan because I'm not but how is 900 mil not a success? For a movie of this reception, that sounds really great.

900M is not nearly as hard to attain in today's market as it once was. 24 films have reached 1B at the BO and 15 of those have happend over the last 5 years.

BvS had a large opening WW and should have hit 1B with ease with positive WoM.

Cheebo

Banned
When you have to spin a failure into a success, you start by retroactively claiming everything else is shit, so the flawed product looks better.
That seems to be what is happening now. The Nolan movies were highly recieived critically, by audiences, and in boxoffice numbers. Including Rises. Those 3 will be likely seen as the "definitive" on screen Batman for a very very long time.

That seems to be what is happening now. The Nolan movies were highly recieived critically, by audiences, and in boxoffice numbers. Including Rises. Those 3 will be likely seen as the "definitive" on screen Batman for a very very long time.

Oh, I don't know about that. People seem down on the movie, but there's a strong positive reception to Batfleck. I don't think you can write off the DCEU going forward.

Loxley

Let's wait for the first solo Batfleck movie before we completely write him off - especially considering that he seems to be the only universally praised thing about BVS (sans all the killing).

Effect

I never understood the hate for Rises that appeared after it it's time was over. I still don't. I don't like it as much as The Dark Knight but I still like it. I like that there is a finality to it.

This is awful wow.

No way Snyder gets this leash for JL.

I fully expect that we'll learn that the JL we get will not be the one that Snyder and Terrio originally conceived. Said before a repeat of BvS can not happen again. For the sake of the universe but also for WB's CEO's head. His job is now very likely on the line if a repeat of this happens. He very likely needs SS, WW, The Legend of Tarzan, and Fantastic Beast to hit. Those last two have to hit really big. I don't expect a delay in the start of filming but while it's filming I won't be surprised if they slow things down or semi stop as to not lose face. Have it appear production is going longer then realized but in reality changes are being made, things rewritten, etc.

"Retroactively"? A portion of GAF's hated Rises since the day it came out.

Oh, I don't know about that. People seem down on the movie, but there's a strong positive reception to Batfleck. I don't think you can write off the DCEU going forward.

Those'll be the definitive Batman movies, but in terms of performance as the character, you might see more people turning towards Affleck. Shit, it's already happening in some places.

PBY

Banned
"Retroactively"? A portion of GAF's hated Rises since the day it came out.

Those'll be the definitive Batman movies, but in terms of performance as the character, you might see more people turning towards Affleck. Shit, it's already happening in some places.
Yeah I thought rises was bad from the jump, really hated that movie.

RDreamer

I don't hate Rises. It was a good movie. Definitely worth watching and owning. I think DKR, BB, and BvS are better than it, though.

I fully expect that we'll learn that the JL we get will not be the one that Snyder and Terrio originally conceived. Said before a repeat of BvS can not happen again. For the sake of the universe but also for WB's CEO's head. His job is now very likely on the line if a repeat of this happens. He very likely needs SS, WW, The Legend of Tarzan, and Fantastic Beast to hit. Those last two have to hit really big. I don't expect a delay in the start of filming but while it's filming I won't be surprised if they slow things down or semi stop as to not lose face. Have it appear production is going longer then realized but in reality changes are being made, things rewritten, etc.

If Tsujihara needs Tarzan to be big, he might as well quit now. That thing has bomb written all over it.

Effect

If Tsujihara needs Tarzan to be big, he might as well quit now. That thing has bomb written all over it.

Maybe Tarzan doesn't need to hit huge. Linking it with Fantastic Beast might have been a mistake. Though for it's budget it can't be a bomb for WB. Honesty I think Tarzan looks pretty good. Though think they might have given away to much in the trailer.

Like I said I'm happy with 900m-1b range, I think it's enough that WB will want to continue with their universe, but also make some creative changes. The opening weekend proved to me that there's massive interest in DC films.

If they decide to switch directors and push back JL, who would they even push forward, between Aquaman, Flash and Shazam (or potentially Batman).

Aquaman
+Has the most work done
+Proven director
-Infamous name recognition
-Unknown tone, James Wan isn't strictly horror but he's not known for his horror movies. He teased Cthulu like concept art as well.

Shazam
+The rock in a super hero movie would be a crowd pleaser
+Script apparently has work on it
+Would most likely be light hearted, family friendly
-No one knows who he is
-No director or Shazam casted
-Not part of their JL1 plans

Flash
+Positive name recognition from TV show
+Confirmed to be one of the younger, funny members of JL
+Already casted, director & screenwriter attached
+21 Jumpstreet directors wrote the story treatment
-Director's debut title, who knows how he'll do

Batman
+people liked Affleck's performance in BvS
+Batman is the easiest sell
+If Affleck is directing, he's a great director
-Affleck's shooting schedule is already busy for this year

I think they'll just go forward with JL, this week will be the last chance they have to change directors.

Draconian

Seriously, who approved a $180 million budget for a Tarzan movie? Neither of the Planet of the Apes movies have a budget that high and that's an established franchise. The decision making on these tentpole films at WB has been hysterically poor with Jupiter Ascending taking the cake.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously, who approved a $180 million budget for a Tarzan movie? Neither of the Planet of the Apes movies have a budget that high and that's an established franchise. The decision making on these tentpole films at WB has been hysterically poor with Jupiter Ascending taking the cake.

WB is weird like that. And I love them for it.

a916

Didn't Affleck wrap on his two person projects? The only thing he had is JL filming. That's what I thought at least.

One day people here will understand that their personal opinions of TDKR are not reflective of the general audience's.

Or critical.

It's still in a teir of very select comic book movies.

You have to be kidding me... that high of a budget? Someone needs to right that ship because they will just green light anything.

EDIT: Just realized it has a few big name actors but more importantly, David Yates. He's one of WB's golden goose is he not?

Effect

If changes are made I expect them to change the director or assumed director of Flash. Don't take chances with a unknown director on a big film. I never agreed with that unless the director has been doing directing on other films as a secondary unit or something. That's a risk that WB might not want to take now.

If James Wan can channel some of the crazy and fun that was in Furious 7 then Aquaman might be okay. Batman will be fine. Everything assumes that.

If tone is largely an issue I wouldn't be surprised to see Shazam put back into play. It's a waste to have the Rock locked down and not use him. Shazam by it's very nature can provide a lot of fun while still telling a somewhat serious story. Make sure that talking Tiger is in it. Just make it a Superman/Shazam story with Superman in the mentor and role model role for Billy as he takes on Black Adam. There are stories like that they can pull from I think.

This is why I said it needs to hit big. It's not as high as BvS but it is high. It's break event has to be lower as well. I do wonder how much of that WB is on the hook for. There are like 5 production companies on that film I think. So the cost could be spread around. I think they might have invested so much is because Tarzan as a character is well known around the world. Investing as much as they did in Jupiter Ascending, a new IP, was just stupid though.

Loxley

Especially without a big star in the main role. If they'd gotten, say, Hemsworth to play Tarzan you know way more people would be talking about the movie. But Alexander Skarsgard? Wah?

If changes are made I expect them to change the director or assumed director of Flash. Don't take chances with a unknown director on a big film. I never agreed with that unless the director has been doing directing on other films as a secondary unit or something. That's a risk that WB might not want to take now.

If James Wan can channel some of the crazy and fun that was in Furious 7 then Aquaman might be okay. Batman will be fine. Everything assumes that.

If tone is largely an issue I wouldn't be surprised to see Shazam put back into play. It's a waste to have the Rock locked down and not use him. Shazam by it's very nature can provide a lot of fun while still telling a somewhat serious story. Make sure that talking Tiger is in it. Just make it a Superman/Shazam story with Superman in the mentor and role mode role for Billy as he takes on Black Adam. There are stories like that they can pull from I think.

Well the issue with that is

BvS spoilers

Explaining how Superman came back. The end of BvS pretty much leads directly into league, so it prevents him from having cameos. That would have been cool though, have Superman see Adam on TV wrecking shit in philadelphia or fawcett city, thinking he's a kryptonian, only to get his ass handed to him, while Billy struggles to figure out his powers. They end up working together and take him down.

Effect

Well the issue with that is

BvS spoilers

Explaining how Superman came back. The end of BvS pretty much leads directly into league, so it prevents him from having cameos. That would have been cool though, have Superman see Adam on TV wrecking shit in philadelphia or fawcett city, thinking he's a kryptonian, only to get his ass handed to him, while Billy struggles to figure out his powers. They end up working together and take him down.

Yeah they'd have to address that first. Once they do though that should be the next step they take.

a916

If tone is largely an issue I wouldn't be surprised to see Shazam put back into play. It's a waste to have the Rock locked down and not use him. Shazam by it's very nature can provide a lot of fun while still telling a somewhat serious story. Make sure that talking Tiger is in it. Just make it a Superman/Shazam story with Superman in the mentor and role mode role for Billy as he takes on Black Adam. There are stories like that they can pull from I think..

How to people feel about Zac Efron being Bill Batson? He's kidish and have you guys seen how big he is on Baywatch? If they have good chemistry in that movie, you bring those two back for Shazam? Or is that too much on the nose? I'd be scrambling to put Superman in a Shazam origin story.

So looks like I'm going a fourth time tonight, my dad suddenly really wants to see it. I'm not gonna argue. :)

Watched it a third time last night, took my entire family to watch it (not even born in NA and they loved it). They have only watched Force Awakens and Jurassic World in the last year.

Not gonna lie, i like Zack's cinematography, but I prefer Nolan's more realistic style.
Nolan
would've made the scene with Pa Kent in Iceland more likely then use a green screen lol.

I wonder if Zack would try and tone down CGI a bit, unlikely since DC Heros are very godlike.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
If it were up to Nolan he would have shot Interstellar in space. Not many (if any) directors like him.

a916

Prob been discussed - but this support dc hashtag is wild right now

Did it turn ugly?

I think Umberto started it, he just wanted to garner some positive feelings because it's been a toxic subject from the people who enjoyed the movie.

EDIT: It probably will turn ugly/stupid. People will mock it, things will get heated, the message will be lost.

Cheebo

Banned
Did it turn ugly?

I think Umberto started it, he just wanted to garner some positive feelings because it's been a toxic subject.

It was ugly from the get-go. Trying to start a black lives matter sort of movement for a blockbuster studio film is not a good look.

I'm kind of scared to check, what's happening?

CfDDF8ZUkAMAzr1.jpg

Ce_pHaFWIAEDe5C.jpg

CfAVrqBWQAAHAmv.jpg

CfIMyBXXIAEVg33.jpg

a916

It was ugly from the get-go. Trying to start a black lives matter sort of movement for a blockbuster studio film is not a good look.

Nah, it's a harmless hashtag no more important than wishing a celebrity a happy birthday. Don't get why people have to piss all over everything to be honest.

Clicked on the superhero feed Twitter. Saw Sean Young still wants that Catwoman role. Bless her heart. In 25 years I hope to see Tyrese pining for GL.

3N16MA

Banned
EDIT: Just realized it has a few big name actors but more importantly, David Yates. He's one of WB's golden goose is he not?

Yates does nothing but pump out Potter films or films related to that world. This is his chance to prove he can do something outside of those films.

Snaku

Banned
Prob been discussed - but this support dc hashtag is wild right now

Expected given how relentlessly negative and outspoken the film's detractors have been, it really is discouraging people who were interested in the film from even giving it a chance. I expect a similar social media movement for Ghostbusters, another movie that's been given nothing but shit from the Internet since it went into production.

ReiGun

Expected given how relentlessly negative and outspoken the film's detractors have been, it really is discouraging people who were interested in the film from even giving it a chance. I expect a similar social media movement for Ghostbusters, another movie that's been given nothing but shit from the Internet since it went into production.
Shhhhhhh. We're not supposed to acknowledge how negative and petty the film's detectors have been both pre and post release. To do so is to be a thin skinned, conspiracy theory, persecuted BINGO was his name-o fanboy.

We'll be expected to be similarly understanding when Ghostbusters comes out, I'm sure.

PBY

Banned
Shhhhhhh. We're not supposed to acknowledge how negative and petty the film's detectors have been both pre and post release. To do so is to be a thin skinned, conspiracy theory, persecuted BINGO was his name-o fanboy.

We'll be expected to be similarly understanding when Ghostbusters comes out, I'm sure.
Except it's totally different.

Ghostbusters detractors are MRA assholes. Most people thought BVS just had awful trailers and was a sequel to a mediocre film with a hated director?

ReiGun

Except it's totally different.

Ghostbusters detractors are MRA assholes. Most people thought BVS just had awful trailers and was a sequel to a mediocre film with a hated director?
People think that about GB too, and many were down on the project from jump even excluding the MRA's. The MRA's merely added an extra layer of awfulness, and, I will admit, had some of the more extreme reactions.

PBY

Banned
People think that about GB too, and many were down on the project from jump even excluding the MRA's. The MRA's merely added an extra layer of awfulness, and, I will admit, had some of the more extreme reactions.
Curious if we'll get that with WW

Honestly Gadot does nothing for me, and I have no connection with the character - but I hope that it makes 2 billion.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Curious if we'll get that with WW

Honestly Gadot does nothing for me, and I have no connection with the character - but I hope that it makes 2 billion.

You want GAF to crash or what? Imagine it making more than Star Wars....what I would give to see the reaction to that. WW will probably make around 600 million.

PBY

Banned
You want GAF to crash or what? Imagine it making more than Star Wars....what I would give to see the reaction to that. WW will probably make around 600 million.
Haha I know that's not realistic. I do hope it breaks records

jackdoe

I think it's a fair assumption that a good number of those tweeting #SupportDCFilms are those that attack critics who gave the film a negative review on twitter (nutjob fanboys with very thin skin). So while I think it's nice to give films a fair shake, the people who started this movement are probably insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom