• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
We found our leader! We will follow you Mr. President.

This is our plan. We get ALL the people who did not like BvS together in one place. Then we launch 'm into space. Throw them off the planet, we don't need those people. Granted there won't be a lot of us left BUT we know we are in good company and that is what counts. This can't go wrong, trust me.

They still got Nolan, he seems like a safe bet. The HP spin offs could make a lot of money. So there is that I guess?

Worst case scenario they'll stick to Batman.

Somebody somewhere at WB is doing the maths to see if The Matrix is viable again. And the lunatics at WB would still give it to the Wachowskis.

Somebody somewhere at WB is doing the maths to see if The Matrix is viable again. And the lunatics at WB would still give it to the Wachowskis.

They have Peter Jackson. The guy shitted out 3 billion dollar (more or less) hobbit movies where he admitted he didn't really care that much or prep enough for it

Should have offered him justice League tbh. He makes fun ensembles. But I doubt he'd agree.

Tho snyder is one of the master producers of this entire dcu slate so he basically volunteered himself. They should consider dumping terrio and really questioning snyder's script and ideas input. Just make him director for hire on it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
They have Peter Jackson. The guy shitted out 3 billion dollar (more or less) hobbit movies where he admitted he didn't really care that much or prep enough for it

Should have offered him justice League tbh. He makes fun ensembles. But I doubt he'd agree.

Tho snyder is one of the master producers of this entire dcu slate so he basically volunteered himself. They should consider dumping terrio and really questioning snyder's script and ideas input. Just make him director for hire on it.
What's with this sudden hate for Terrio? There was absolutely nothing wrong with the script.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
What's with this sudden hate for Terrio? There was absolutely nothing wrong with the script.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was Synder and Goyer that came up with the story and over reaching arcs. Terrio was brought in later when Affleck came on board and probably only did dialog punch ups. Can't imagine he had any real authority to change anything big.

Loxley

Jackson probably wouldn't do it anyway. The guy really only does movies for which he's very passionate about the subject matter, and as far as I know he's not a comic book guy at all. Plus he's staying away from big blockbusters for a while after having nearly worked himself to death for five straight years on The Hobbit trilogy. He said he wants to focus on smaller New Zealand-centric stories for his next couple of projects.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was Synder and Goyer that came up with the story and over reaching arcs. Terrio was brought in later when Affleck came on board and probably only did dialog punch ups. Can't imagine he had any real authority to change anything big.

No, we know he changed a lot. The Knightmare got dropped from his script, for instance.

I really do think that like 80% of this film's problems lie in the editing, and not even because the missed scenes are that important. It's because by the time the important beats happen and the setup pays off, people are already done with the movie. So they don't pay attention, or they don't give a crap.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
No, we know he changed a lot. The Knightmare got dropped from his script, for instance.

I really do think that like 80% of this film's problems lie in the editing, and not even because the missed scenes are that important. It's because by the time the important beats happen and the setup pays off, people are already done with the movie. So they don't pay attention, or they don't give a crap.
Nailed it. People zoned out and started nitpicking the movie instead of letting themselves get immersed in the story. By the time it picked up people weren't invested. It's why many were confused too.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member

Huh? Got dropped from who's script? Are you saying Terrio re-wrote everything and his didn't have the Knightmare sequence, but they ended up using Goyer's script instead?

Much better dialogue than before but the story plays out badly

If he was writing something good he would have dropped a lot of stuff. Especially that entire lois subplot

Huh? Got dropped from who's script? Are you saying Terrio re-wrote everything and his didn't have the Knightmare sequence, but they ended up using Goyer's script instead?

Apparently, the Knightmare is from Goyer's script, got dropped in Terrio's initial drafts, then cropped back up again later. I think it's fair to say that there was friction involved, between either Terrio and Snyder or Terrio and the studio or some combination thereof.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have an answer to what was the point of special Lex bullets? Is this something we won't know until the director's cut? Unless they de-materialized once they hit organic matter to replicate Superman's heat vision, I see no point to entire plot other than for Lois to find one and make the connection back to Lex which somehow relates back to Superman? Ugh, I can't imagine we're getting the whole story here. The writers can't be that stupid to not have that really mean something. Like, just Superman showing up in the first place and causing a power vacuum was all that was needed.

Oh, and for the whole "how did Superman know Lois was in trouble but couldn't hear his mom" thing. Clark obviously knew Lois was going to be in Africa on assignment and could be in danger. He was probably always scanning and listening to her just in case. He has no reason to believe his mom would be in danger and I don't think his hearing is actually that tuned so he can pick out particular people (did we get any hints of that in Man of Steel, I don't remember).

Tabby

Does anyone have an answer to what was the point of special Lex bullets? Is this something we won't know until the director's cut? Unless they de-materialized once they hit organic matter to replicate Superman's heat vision, I see no point to entire plot other than for Lois to find one and make the connection back to Lex which somehow relates back to Superman? Ugh, I can't imagine we're getting the whole story here. The writers can't be that stupid to not have that really mean something. Like, just Superman showing up in the first place and causing a power vacuum was all that was needed.

Wasn't the point of the bullets to frame Superman for the damages in Africa? They said that in the movie. How they're meant to do that though I don't know.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't the point of the bullets to frame Superman for the damages in Africa? They said that in the movie. How they're meant to do that though I don't know.
That's what I mean. We're somehow led to believe they have some role to play in framing him, but how??? Everyone knows Superman doesn't use guns. That's what I'm getting at. There had to be more to that plot which was cut. It makes no sense as is, but since they spread out the reveal over 1.5 hours, I think they just thought the general audience wouldn't think too much about it and not question it. I mean, when they're writing the story and going over it with the writers/producers/director, you would think someone would be, "Ok, I like the bullet thing with Lois, but where's the pay off?" Either they had one and it was cut, or they're idiots. I refuse to believe the later, no matter what people think about the movie and the people behind it.

It's not like they had a forensics team out there. Nobody knows *what* happened to the guys.

As to the specialness of the special bullets, yeah, that'd better be a deleted scene.

This is our plan. We get ALL the people who did not like BvS together in one place. Then we launch 'm into space. Throw them off the planet, we don't need those people. Granted there won't be a lot of us left BUT we know we are in good company and that is what counts. This can't go wrong, trust me.

you know a majority of people did still like the movie.

In for my 3rd viewing. Function sold out. Marvel Civil War rocking that TV show aesthetic (I'll watch it either way though), looking forward the opening.

See you on the other side.

Firemind

Just got back from my second viewing. What I appreciated more this time is how haunted Bruce really is by his past. Nolan's Bruce for example didn't really give a shit about his parents. Yeah, he tried to kill the guy who murdered his parents, but other than that it's basically dropped. Even when Rachel died he's like oh well. This Bruce however is truly tormented. So much that it clouds his judgment. He even lied to Alfred about his true motive to find the White Portuguese. I understand that the audience didn't really connect with him. Life seems to have lost meaning to him which isn't really relatable. Even Alfred had lost hope. After the events in BvS, I think he will be devoted in being a hero again. Prove me right, Suicide Squad.

However, the flaws got even more apparent with the second viewing. I truly believe it could have been salvaged from negative critical reception if they had an editor that wasn't pressed by the higher ups at WB to aim for a certain amount of runtime and someone to stop Snyder from shooting the exact scenes he had envisioned. The editor really had no leeway because of the screenplay. What I would have dropped:
Almost every Lois scene after the African scene. Her subplot really went nowhere. The African scene could have been extended to show Clark didn't kill anyone, which would have made the bathroom scene obsolete. Lois could have showed up again when Lex was about to kidnap her.
- The Knightmare scene. It added to Bruce's paranoia, but it also added to painting Clark as a villain which isn't what you want. Flash's scene would have sufficed.
- The lines of dialogue that there are no civilians in the vicinity. It was mentioned thrice! The only one that felt natural was when Wonder Woman asked Batman why he led Doomsday back to the city. (We already know that because Batman was trying to fight Supes in that area without causing casualties and because he had to retrieve the spear.

What bothered me the most that I didn't catch in the first viewing however was:
So Bruce hacked Lex's computer. How is it possible that there was no info on Superman? Somehow he didn't create an entry of Supes on the metahuman folder. Bruce could have found about Clark's identity and prevented the whole Martha shenanigans otherwise.

I'm really curious about the extended cut now. If that doesn't fix some of the issues, then Justice League is doomed. DOOMED.

Draconian

All that matters is that I enjoyed the film immensely. And it's made 587 million WW already. I just do not want a DCEU where they are churning out movies like Thor the dark world. I saw that the other day, in the middle of the big action finale you have Thor taking the subway? Really?

Umm yeah, the less said about that movie the better. I still can't believe we have to endure a third Thor movie, but Hulk can't have a solo movie for the foreseeable future.

RDreamer

All that matters is that I enjoyed the film immensely. And it's made 587 million WW already. I just do not want a DCEU where they are churning out movies like Thor the dark world. I saw that the other day, in the middle of the big action finale you have Thor taking the subway? Really?

I just saw Thor (the first one) today and that shit has some issues. Shit just randomly happens to advance the plot with no real explanation. Odin falls asleep because reasons. Odin wakes up at the perfect time because reasons. Heimdall breaks through his frozen state because reasons. Norse reasons I guess. The Hammer plot was dumb too. It'll sense when you're not terrible anymore and give you your powers back... Yay! Seriously if The Dark World is worse I probably want to stay far away.

I question anyone who says BvS is a worse movie than that.

Not sure if posted but here's a really cool article with Richard Donner about the making of Superman. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/superman-director-richard-donner-tells-879894

Holy shit this is such an interesting article

Man the amount of things donner had to fight to make a classic. Lmao dealing with brando alone sounded like such a huge problem. And then the original shit script had freaking superman scanning the streets for bald heads and they threw in a Kojack cameo hahaha.

DaveH

What bothered me the most that I didn't catch in the first viewing however was:
So Bruce hacked Lex's computer. How is it possible that there was no info on Superman?
To me, it's 100% that Lex knows
who Clark and Bruce really are at that point, which is why the meeting in the trailer is him entertaining himself
remember by the end of the film
he claims responsibility for pushing Bruce over the edge with notes so he definitely knows Bruce's secret ID as well
... which means that entire event was orchestrated (and why Mercy accepts his lame excuse). That means Lex
leaks only files he wants Bruce to have... the question then is why does he want the Batman to know about Wonder Woman, Flash, and Cyborg? If I had to speculate, for similar reasons he's using Batman as his champion against Superman... if Batman survives, he can piggyback off of Bruce's efforts in hunting down those other metahumans, and reinforce Lex's thesis

Speaking of Mercy... I noticed that Bruce's personal assistant is named Grace.

IconGrist

who Clark and Bruce really are at that point, which is why the meeting in the trailer is him entertaining himself
he claims responsibility for pushing Bruce over the edge with notes so he definitely knows Bruce's secret ID as well
... which means that entire event was orchestrated (and why Mercy accepts his lame excuse).

Yea, Clark Kent is a nobody at the Daily Planet so Lex being excited that him and Bruce Wayne meet doesn't make any sense until you realize Lex knows who they both are.

What I appreciated more this time is how haunted Bruce really is by his past. Nolan's Bruce for example didn't really give a shit about his parents. Yeah, he tried to kill the guy who murdered his parents, but other than that it's basically dropped.

Ok I'm glad you said that because I thought I was the only one that thought that.

Draconian

I wonder if they'll dial Lex's quirkiness down for his next appearance. He certainly seems to be one of the more divisive parts of the movie, and they could theoretically use the
confrontation with Batman in his cell at the end of the movie
to justify adjusting his character.

BadAss2961

I wonder if they'll dial Lex's quirkiness down for his next appearance. He certainly seems to be one of the more divisive parts of the movie, and they could theoretically use the
confrontation with Batman in his cell at the end of the movie
to justify adjusting his character.
I think he'll be different next time. He's seen some shit.

kmfdmpig

Finally got a chance to see it (I was traveling late last week and was very busy until today).

My wife disliked it, although she liked parts of it.
I was kind of mixed about it. There were things I liked a lot:
the look of the film was mostly great
Wonder Woman, Batman, and Alfred were all good as were Lois and Perry
Batman fighting was great as was his training

There were a lot of parts that did not work well though.
Superman didn't really work for me for the most part. I don't blame Cavill although he certainly doesn't elevate what he's given to work with.
Lex didn't work for me at all. It's cool that they tried something different, but it seemed like a misfire to me.

There were certainly parts of the story/movie that I liked, but there were a lot of parts that felt simultaneously too fast, but as a whole the movie felt too long. I think they tried to put too much into it.

It seems like there were the pieces needed for a very good movie, but as a whole while I liked it faintly I didn't love it. If I divorce my fondness for the characters from the film and substitute generic superheroes into the same movie then I probably would not like it at all.

With that said, I'd prefer that they not overreact to the box office disappointment and push forward with their plans, although they should be careful to avoid bloat going forward.

Dead

well not really...yet
... which means that entire event was orchestrated (and why Mercy accepts his lame excuse). That means Lex
leaks only files he wants Bruce to have... the question then is why does he want the Batman to know about Wonder Woman, Flash, and Cyborg? If I had to speculate, for similar reasons he's using Batman as his champion against Superman... if Batman survives, he can piggyback off of Bruce's efforts in hunting down those other metahumans, and reinforce Lex's thesis

Either Zack or Deb Snyder confirmed in an interview that he
knew their identities during the party scene

Finaika

Planet Hulk?

Draconian

Either Zack or Deb Snyder confirmed in an interview that he
knew their identities during the party scene

I thought the
"you certainly wouldn't want to pick a fight with this guy" remark is what gives it away.
I just assumed everyone picked up on that, but apparently not.

BadAss2961

You guys talk about this Snyder interview? He pretty much outright says the studio got nervous about going over 2 and a half hours, and that the theatrical version was basically the Ultimate Cut until "very recently." Said he's not James Cameron so he couldn't just tell them to fuck off with the cutting.

Warner plz...

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah that was posted a while back.

Supposedly the word is that ~185 minute cut was the movie until about 5 or so months ago when word came to cut it down.

BadAss2961

Supposedly the word is that ~185 minute cut was the movie until about 5 or so months ago when word came to cut it down.
Oh well... Zack's gonna have to be more time efficient with Justice League. That script's gotta be tight.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Why not make the Batman v Superman part one movie, and the Dawn of Justice part the other movie?

Ashhong

You guys talk about this Snyder interview? He pretty much outright says the studio got nervous about going over 2 and a half hours, and that the theatrical version was basically the Ultimate Cut until "very recently." Said he's not James Cameron so he couldn't just tell them to fuck off with the cutting.

Warner plz...

There was another interview previous to this one, where he kind of says the opposite. He says that it was his choice to cut it down.

I think

duckroll

Why not make the Batman v Superman part one movie, and the Dawn of Justice part the other movie?

XYigxKe.jpg

Poona

Was that ever official at any stage? If so, it sucks it didn't happen.

Would have lessened the wait for the film which seemed almost forever, and we'd have two movies by now that would have shown us more instead of one trying to jam so many things together.

a916

Yea, Clark Kent is a nobody at the Daily Planet so Lex being excited that him and Bruce Wayne meet doesn't make any sense until you realize Lex knows who they both are.

Another thing that connected the 3rd time, is when Perry White is like "where do you keep going" Then Superman just appears in front of Batfleck's Batmobile... I wonder if that deleted scene is right between that.

I don't get this at all... as a director, you're making the best movie you can put into theaters. You don't make a movie 3 hours long, then hack away at it taking away connective tissue and then release it in theaters. This movie should've been made for 2.5 hours, not 4 hours then cut down (or however long one of the cuts was).

When Nolan was asked why he never does extended cuts, he said he doesn't waste film. What's supposed to be filmed is filmed, the fat is trimmed before the cameras ever roll because that's a waste of money.

3N16MA

Banned
Anyone think WW gets moved from its June release date? June 2017 is jam packed with films every week and early July has Spider-Man and Planet of the Apes.

guek

Banned
Anyone think WW gets moved from its June release date? June 2017 is jam packed with films every week and early July has Spider-Man and Planet of the Apes.

2017 has an insanely packed summer. I have no idea where they'd move it to but if they keep that date, it's going to get slaughtered.

jey_16

Banned
could move it to August 11, there is already a "Untitled WB Event Film" scheduled for that weekend though.....not sure what it is

only question is that too close to JL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom