• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadAss2961

A Skrillex/Rick Ross song in a comic book movie basically means there's a lot of "fun."

Yeah, people will like this one. Fun is what's in right now.

SJRB

Gold Member
So how's the new Justice League / Teen Titans cartoon?

Worth a watch for someone who doesn't give a fuck about Teen Titans?

Ninjimbo

Watch SS get a 60% because of a 'clash in tones' or whatever. I wonder what the conversation will be like then. Ooooh boy.

Anyways, I say WB should stick to what they're doing until JL drops. Like Marvel, they should stick to their vision and eventually force people to like it. I don't really like Marvel's Phase 1 movies outside of Iron Man 1 which is still one of the best ever, but they kept going with that formula until Avengers finally came out and destroyed everything (in a good way for them!).

WhiteWolf

Watched Son of Batman this past Saturday. I didn't really like it much at all, but it was funny when Damain said, "leave harlots."

All the movies post Flashpoint have been lacking, probably due to budget cuts. Dark Knight Returns was the last animated film I loved from DC.

Watch SS get a 60% because of a 'clash in tones' or whatever. I wonder what the conversation will be like then. Ooooh boy.

Anyways, I say WB should stick to what they're doing until JL drops. Like Marvel, they should stick to their vision and eventually force people to like it. I don't really like Marvel's Phase 1 movies outside of Iron Man 1 which is still one of the best ever, but they kept going with that formula until Avengers finally came out and destroyed everything (in a good way for them!).

This is my fear. That they'll Gotham the review scores. Going "gee it doesn't know if it wants to be serious or wants to be silly" when the answer is... both.

guek

Banned
So how's the new Justice League / Teen Titans cartoon?

Worth a watch for someone who doesn't give a fuck about Teen Titans?

The title is a lie, it's mostly a Teen Titans movie and they barely fight the Justice League. It's lazy in a few places but overall I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm a huge TT fan though.

jmood88

I have no idea why you're starting this conspiracy theory already. Warner is two movies into their attempt at the cinematic universe and for as bad as Man of Steel was, it still had plenty of defenders in the professional reviewer community. Batman v Superman just wasn't good and it's not just because of tone.

Ninjimbo

I have no idea why you're starting this conspiracy theory already. Warner is two movies into their attempt at the cinematic universe and for as bad as Man of Steel was, it still had plenty of defenders in the professional reviewer community. Batman v Superman just wasn't good and it's not just because of tone.
I haven't skimmed any of the later reviews but the first 50 that showed up on RT complained about tone. It was definitely the prevailing factor being mentioned in the bulk of the negative reviews. But I don't want to talk about BvS's reception anymore. It's bad. Most people seem to think it's meh. I love it. Yadda yadda.

Regarding SS, I don't think it's a slam dunk because of the nature of the source material. I believe I mentioned this earlier in the thread. SS is something wholly unique and while I'm already on board, I have no idea how it's going to play to a general audience. The movie could get weird, y'know? Also, David Ayer, he has some similarities to Snyder in making movies with a grim tone. Go watch Fury. Its depiction of WW2 is far away from something like Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan.

I hope for the best of course. I don't want to shit up the thread anymore so I'll stop with the concerns.

Effect

I mentioned that before. People are looking at SS as if it's going to be a comedy from the trailers. Look who is directing it and the nature of the books. Black comedy is what you're going to get. Even if it's has some laugh out loud moments you're likely going to see that followed up by some messed up things that push what is likely to be a hard PG-13 film. A good feeling film this isn't going to be. It might be fun but I expect a twisted type of fun. Things you wondering if you should be laughing about.

There really is no way to know how people will completely respond to this but I'm leaning more on the negative side. People will think it will be one thing and get something else. If part of the backlash against BvS is tone and feel then SS should be worse since it's dealing with villains are being sent on a suicide mission. Killing and violence should be higher in count. Hence the name of the film and team. This is why Guardians of the Galaxy was always the wrong film to try to compare this to no matter what. GoTG should never have come up in the same conversation. It sets the wrong expectation for this film and it's potential content even if the comparison was to show how it was a risk and out there idea to make a film about. People won't be latching on to that. The second people with audiences started using GoTG I think it stuck with a good number of people. Dirty Dozen should be used more when talking about the film instead to set expectations properly. That's Ayers references.

Maybe this is wrong and it won't be to dark or violent. Doubting that will be the case.

A Skrillex/Rick Ross song in a comic book movie basically means there's a lot of "fun."

Yeah, people will like this one. Fun is what's in right now.

I know Skrillex from Epic Rap Battle of History and Rick Ross' name rings a bell but I can't for the life of me think of any of his songs. While I'm not a fan of either one of these guys, it's cool to see WB aiming their appeal to younger audiences. Sort of anecdotal evidence but last time I went to the movies with my youngest sister, she saw the Suicide Squad trailer in the theater and was really excited to see the movie. I thought that was pretty big as she doesn't really like Comic book movies.

shingi70

Banned
How you have Will Smith and Jared Leto in your movie and end up with a theme by Rick Ross and Skillrex.

DC is totally incompetent /s.

Anth0ny

Skrillex and Rick Ross just means they're going after a younger audience.

However, everyone on the Internet will shit on Skrillex, so that's going to hurt the film. simple as that...

So edgy and original that even your reply is regurgitated dross.

Is this Snyders Gaf account?

In all seriousness, you are being self destructively upset with the opinions of others in the thread. Just because BvS was poorly received by the majority doesn't take way your enjoyment. The DC CU is gonna be fine, Suicide looks great.

At this point, the people who enjoyed BvS are the minority and thus not important. When the critical reception is as negative as it is AND it's underperforming at the box office like it is, WB has some tough decisions to make.

Just moving forward like nothing is wrong seems crazy to me at this point, honestly. And I liked BvS!

Fans should always be important but I agree the critical reception and underperforming box office should be enough for WB to have to do something. Snyder has to go for me and I wouldn't be surprised if the Batman flick was pushed forward.

Dcube

I don't mind Snyder, he's done some really cool stuff. I think BvS had too much crammed into it and would've been a challenge for many directors to juggle, though not impossible.
In this case I just don't think he could keep up with his own vision, which is unfortunate because I think his style could fit well with these movies.
If they are keeping him around I'd recommend aiming for something shorter, simple, action heavy. Play to his strengths.

Arnie7

Banned
Turned it off after like 5 seconds, the fuck is this shit. I thought the dude who did Gravity was doing the OST?

There was a rumour that 2pac all eyez on me was being played during Jared Leto Joker Flashback in Lambo scene Maybe just a stand in for real music.

suicide-squad_set-photo_jokers-lamborghini-2.jpg

I expect Suicide Squad to have a heavily influenced rap soundtrack.

BadAss2961

I don't mind Snyder, he's done some really cool stuff. I think BvS had too much crammed into it and would've been a challenge for many directors to juggle, though not impossible.
In this case I just don't think he could keep up with his own vision, which is unfortunate because I think his style could fit well with these movies.
If they are keeping him around I'd recommend aiming for something shorter, simple, action heavy. Play to his strengths.
Agreed at playing to his strengths. Not shorter though, just his strengths with better pacing. Action heavy is the key. He's amazing at putting together fight scenes that bring panels to life and gets the most out of characters abilities.

Contrary to popular belief, Man of Steel in particular, these movies didn't have much action. Most of it goes down in the final acts. Justice League needs to be paced with action scenes peppered throughout. Such an ensemble of heroes kinda demands it anyway.

PBY

Banned
Agreed at playing to his strengths. Not shorter though, just his strengths with better pacing. Action heavy is the key. He's amazing at putting together fight scenes that bring panels to life and gets the most out of characters abilities.

Contrary to popular belief, Man of Steel in particular, these movies didn't have much action. Most of it goes down in the final acts. Justice League needs to be paced with action scenes peppered throughout. Such an ensemble of heroes kinda demands it anyway.

I want more 300-style action, or even Sucker Punch type scenes. The last scene didn't feel like Snyder to me to be honest, it was a CGI blob fighting 3 characters that I didn't feel was properly staged. Frankly, I thought it was terrible.

The Batman warehouse fight was great though, more of that. I even like slow mo.

I think that part of the problem actionwise is that the Knightmare is just about right where I'd slot in a big mid-early movie fightscene, and the Knightmare is... yeah.

PBY

Banned
I think that part of the problem actionwise is that the Knightmare is just about right where I'd slot in a big mid-early movie fightscene, and the Knightmare is... yeah.

Sooo from trailer 3, I assumed that warehouse fight would have been an early intro to Batman - I think it would have set up the film better to slot that scene in earlier, with a different context.

Sooo from trailer 3, I assumed that warehouse fight would have been an early intro to Batman - I think it would have set up the film better to slot that scene in earlier, with a different context.

That's partially from the trailer changes; the "I'm getting slow in my old age" tweak immediately after makes you think it's something from the beginning. A scene like it wouldn't have been out of place, though the creepy horror vibe of his real intro worked for me too.

IconGrist

That's partially from the trailer changes; the "I'm getting slow in my old age" tweak immediately after makes you think it's something from the beginning. A scene like it wouldn't have been out of place, though the creepy horror vibe of his real intro worked for me too.

What's funny is that line in the actual movie is, "You're getting slow in your old age, Alfred." He wasn't referring to himself at all.

Smallville is still DC's best cgi fight. Warehouse fight behind that, followed by
The trinity sequence, starting with Superman flying Doomsday into space

BadAss2961

I want more 300-style action, or even Sucker Punch type scenes. The last scene didn't feel like Snyder to me to be honest, it was a CGI blob fighting 3 characters that I didn't feel was properly staged. Frankly, I thought it was terrible.

The Batman warehouse fight was great though, more of that. I even like slow mo.
Don't know what Patty Jenkins has in store for Wonder Woman, so Flash is probably the closest you'll get to 300 style action. He should get some good slow motion tracking shots from Snyder.

the worst news about the flash is that these fools said they are making cyborg a major character in the film...smh (well second-worst news, the director is..yeesh)

anyways action and comedy-wise they already have a great template in x-men's quicksilver. hopefully they can think of some imaginative setpieces for the character.

Ross61

the worst news about the flash is that these fools said they are making cyborg a major character in the film...smh (well second-worst news, the director is..yeesh)

anyways action and comedy-wise they already have a great template in x-men's quicksilver. hopefully they can think of some imaginative setpieces for the character.

Deborah Snyder never outright said that. Websites are spinning that like its concrete. And we never got a outright confirmation on the director either.

jackdoe

Yeah, the writer of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter is making his directorial debut on it apparently.
I hope someone at WB smartens up and thinks for a second that it's not such a bright idea to hand a 150 million dollar, effects driven movie to a first time director. Paramount did it. I fully believe WB can too.

duckroll

I hope someone at WB smartens up and thinks for a second that it's not such a bright idea to hand a 150 million dollar, effects driven movie to a first time director. Paramount did it. I fully believe WB can too.

Disney did it with Maleficent and it didn't turn out too badly for them boxoffice-wise!

jackdoe

Disney did it with Maleficent and it didn't turn out too badly for them boxoffice-wise!
Haha. That was a terrible movie. And WB already played that game and failed with Transcendence. I cannot comprehend how they would consider rolling those dice again.

he wrote beetlejuice 2, lego batman and flash.

that's too many great things being given to the guy behind abraham lincoln vampire hunter. i hope he's decent.

Ross61

Retracting my statement on the director of the Flash, since unless WB and Seth are trolling then he is most likely the director. Seems he was already tapped to do Lego Batman writing. I have a feeling the Flash will be way more lighthearted. And I'd be fine with that.

Edit: And if they're giving him this many opportunities, than they must be really impressed by what he's shown them.

I'm really hoping Zack brings back the speed ramping a bit in JL.

Feel like a reason why people didn't care as much for the Doomsday fight outside of WW's GOAT moments was because a lot of the "fight" consists of Superman and Wonder Woman pinballing off of Doomsday inside of a storm of fire and dirt. You can't get a good sense of what's going on.

There's a shot of Batman looking on as Wondy engages Doomsday and it kinda looked like a scene from DBZ when when characters go at it and you hardly see them outside of these little white flashes and tons of debris getting kicked up.

ryan299

Retracting my statement on the director of the Flash, since unless WB and Seth are trolling then he is most likely the director. Seems he was already tapped to do Lego Batman writing. I have a feeling the Flash will be way more lighthearted. And I'd be fine with that.

Edit: And if they're giving him this many opportunities, than they must be really impressed by what he's shown them.

Has the guy publicly talked about directing it?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
CfOtzMUUIAAz2H5.jpg
CfOtzM7UUAAHQFp.jpg

wondy set pics

looking goooood. so glad they are using real locations, sick of green screen nonsense.

edit: daily mail is censored in gaf, lol wtf.

Kibbles

Skrillex and Rick Ross just means they're going after a younger audience.

However, everyone on the Internet will shit on Skrillex, so that's going to hurt the film. simple as that...

Meh it just might be the first song in the credits to close out the movie. Seems like a fun song to go out on.

Oh and Suicide Squad spoilers regarding the subway monster:
http://i.imgur.com/Whe8gkX.jpg ... I wonder how that's going to go down.... Enchantress demon fucks with the Joker maybe? He definitely doesn't even appear to be alive or conscious of it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Seems a whole platoon is getting stranded on Themyscyra and not just Trevor

Meh it just might be the first song in the credits to close out the movie. Seems like a fun song to go out on.

Oh and Suicide Squad spoilers regarding the subway monster:
http://i.imgur.com/Whe8gkX.jpg ... I wonder how that's going to go down.... Enchantress demon fucks with the Joker maybe?
Yep, that's what I thought that was

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom