• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

It's interesting to me that, in a world where diversity in film is a huge hot button topic, and WB is catching so much heat over their DC films, people think one of the best moves they can make is to cancel the one DC film starring a black person (Cyborg).

Effect

It's interesting to me that, in a world where diversity in film is a huge hot button topic, and WB is catching so much heat over their DC films, people think one of the best moves they can make is to cancel the one DC film starring a black person (Cyborg).

That bit of BS has been happen long before recent events. The idea of them announcing and then taking back their only superhero film with a black lead being a huge negative for WB largely goes ignore by many people. How that looks, the negative impact that would have, etc also goes ignore. The idea of even changing to another character if they don't like Cyborg rarely if ever comes up. It's cancel it and make it a Teen Titans film where it would likely be another vehicle for member of the Batman family and lead white character. That shit pisses me off to no end.

duckroll

Haha. That was a terrible movie. And WB already played that game and failed with Transcendence. I cannot comprehend how they would consider rolling those dice again.

This Warner Brothers, the studio which has rewarded Snyder for Sucker Punch by gifting him the keys to the DC Kingdom.

jackdoe

This Warner Brothers, the studio which has rewarded Snyder for Sucker Punch by gifting him the keys to the DC Kingdom.
Still not as bad as giving the keys to a 150 million dollar blockbuster to someone who's never directed a movie before. I will say that part of me does wish that WB does stick with him; the irony would be delicious if Seth Grahame-Smith delivers a technically better structured film than Batman v Superman.

duckroll

Still not as bad as giving the keys to a 150 million dollar blockbuster to someone who's never directed a movie before. I will say that part of me does wish that WB does stick with him; the irony would be delicious if Seth Grahame-Smith delivers a technically better structured film than Batman v Superman.

David Fincher's directorial debut was Alien3.

Lol.

Cheebo

Banned
I think it's time to start assuming Synder is getting booted from JL. Movie made only 3.1 mil Monday. Which is isnabelt bad. Below what it should do even after that 69% drop. The movie is in complete free fall at the boxoffice at this point. No way WB can keep him on after this near universal rejection of BvS we are seeing. Too much is on the line with JL. Too much is staked on DCEU. The franchise can't withstand another MoS/BvS situation and survive. Even if WW and SS are great.

Not to mention it's going to have to be delayed anyway. Disney recently moved Star Wars Episode 8 from its May release on 2017 and is now out just two weeks afte JL Part 1, they are going to have to push JL to early 2018 anyway at this point. Makes it easier to delay and get a new director due to that.

I think it's mostly odd that everyone wants to shelve Cyborg (sometimes under the veil of him replacing MMH) while ignoring (or maybe they're not even aware) of Shazam. He's got even less name recognition among casuals and offers even less to the lineup than Cyborg does, which seem to be the two major points people have against Cyborg.

Magwik

Banned
I think it's mostly odd that everyone wants to shelve Cyborg (sometimes under the veil of him replacing MMH) while ignoring (or maybe they're not even aware) of Shazam. He's got even less name recognition among casuals and offers even less to the lineup than Cyborg does, which seem to be the two major points people have against Cyborg.
Shazam will have the Rock flying around dropping a lightning charged people's elbow. Cast John Cena as Shazam, and then you practically have guaranteed money. Who wouldn't want to see Cena and Rock flying around the sky beating the piss out of each other?

Also Cyborg needs to be worked into a Teen Titans movie.

Shazam will have the Rock flying around dropping a lightning charged people's elbow. Cast John Cena as Shazam, and then you practically have guaranteed money. Who wouldn't want to see Cena and Rock flying around the sky beating the piss out of each other?

Also Cyborg needs to be worked into a Teen Titans movie.

I want both, but to be fair we haven't seen Ray Fisher in action. He could be a lot of fun. I think WB (and maybe Marvel from now on) will "piggyback" heroes into movies for their new properties. We're already seeing Black Panther in a Cap movie, Falcon in an ant-man movie, Batman in suicide squad, so I'm sure we'll have someone partnered up with Cyborg to get some interest in him. Maybe Flash going by Deborah Snyder's comments.

I can't imagine WB leaving Titans on the table either, now that the tv show has been shelved.

Cheebo

Banned
Just saw the Monday numbers... I think Snyders gone.
There is no way he isn't gone at this point. The movie is in complete free fall. They risk killing the DCEU if they keep him on.

That and the fact the movie needs a delay due to Episode 8 being pushed back gives them the wiggle room to delay and readjust the plan.

PBY

Banned
There is no way he isn't gone at this point. The movie is in complete free fall. They risk killing the DCEU if they keep him on.

That and the fact the movie needs a delay due to Episode 8 being pushed back gives them the wiggle room to delay and readjust the plan.
I mean, it's not a lock he goes, JL is about to film - it's not a clear cut move.

Cheebo

Banned
I mean, it's not a lock he goes, JL is about to film - it's not a clear cut move.
That's the issue yeah.

However, releasing another Synder DC movie 2 weeks before Star Wars Episode 8 is pretty much boxoffice suicide. Something has to change at this point.

guek

Banned

It's mostly just because people don't like Cyborg as a lead. I see your point though, and Effect's point about the downsides of Cyborg being replaced with Teen Titans, but if a Titans movie diminishes diversity too much, a Cyborg film should be replaced with something like Static Shock.

Bleepey

Can we wait for the director's cut before calling for Snyder's head. Maybe the DC could redeem the movie infront of its naysayers exponentially.

guek

Banned
Can we wait for the director's cut before calling for Snyder's head. Maybe the DC could redeem the movie infront of its naysayers exponentially.

From WB's point of view though, the quality of the DC doesn't matter at all. Neither do fans calling for Snyder's firing. It's all about the cold hard cash.

I'm still fond of the idea of retooling it into a Cyborg & The Teen Titans movie. Him in the leading role, but with the backing of the rest of the team so as to give it some, you know, appeal.

Effect

:yawn:
He's not gone.
He's the producer of the whole universe

I fully expect him to stay on as producer and perhaps master mind as well. It's whether or not WB wants him directing more films after Justice League. That's the question. I think he's far to invested to walk away completely. It all depends on what happens on that front. I do expect we'll get dates changed. JL can not open just a mere two week before Star Wars Episode 8. It needs more time then that regardless of quality. It could be universally loved and still have it's legs cut off.

Wonder Woman needs to move. It's simply in a bad spot with no breathing room and opening the same day as a Transformers film now. Question is where do you even move it? Or does/can WB make a deal with Paramount to get them to move since WB had the date first?

It's mostly just because people don't like Cyborg as a lead. I see your point though, and Effect's point about the downsides of Cyborg being replaced with Teen Titans, but if a Titans movie diminishes diversity too much, a Cyborg film should be replaced with something like Static Shock.

A Static film (if WB/DC and Milestone could act right) or just straight up making a decision and having the Green Lantern film be about John Stewart would have solved this issue. Either would have been a good if not safe choice. Honestly if WW hits big and it's good I would say swap out that Cyborg film for Vixen. Assuming Cyborg isn't a hit or interesting in JL to most people.

I think WB's best move right now if they don't/can't get rid of Snyder is to push it back (if needed), and promote Ben to co-director. Any announcement right now would probably have minimal effect on BvS's box office.

jey_16

Banned
I fully expect him to stay on as producer and perhaps master mind as well. It's whether or not WB wants him directing more films after Justice League. That's the question. I think he's far to invested to walk away completely. It all depends on what happens on that front. I do expect we'll get dates changed. JL can not open just a mere two week before Star Wars Episode 8. It needs more time then that regardless of quality. It could be universally loved and still have it's legs cut off.

Wonder Woman needs to move. It's simply in a bad spot with no breathing room and opening the same day as a Transformers film now. Question is where do you even move it? Or does/can WB make a deal with Paramount to get them to move since WB had the date first?

JL has a month before SW but it does give them a reason to delay it, i would move WW to August. June/July is a mess in 2017....

Cheebo

Banned
I think WB's best move right now if they don't/can't get rid of Snyder is to push it back (if needed), and promote Ben to co-director. Any announcement right now would probably have minimal effect on BvS's box office.
You can't add a co-director. DGA rules don't allow for this

Effect

JL has a month before SW but it does give them a reason to delay it, i would move WW to August. June/July is a mess in 2017....

Thanks. I thought it was earlier in December. I see it's the 15th.

You can't add a co-director. DGA rules don't allow for this

Do the rules mean they could do it but not give credit publicly for the second director even if that person agreed? Or it just can't be done at all, even on the down low?

Anyone know what kind of trouble a studio could be in if they added another director anyway and it was found out?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the good thing about this whole thing is that WB has a precedent with Nolan's Batman trilogy.

Batman with Nolan did 1b, Batman with Snyder struggles to make 800m. Oh and Nolan's Batman films reach a billion without 3d inflating the BO gross.

Before they jump into conclusions that it's the characters, because WB is dumb like that.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like Snyder will stay. At least for JL1. Yesss. Love it.

antovolk

Ah okay, that isn't so long. Thanks.
WB debunked that exact date but I can imagine it'll be around that time on Blu-ray/DVD, and probably late June/early July for digital (iTunes etc) as per the norm now for home releases.
But yeah it's coming when the film is coming on Blu/DVD.

Effect

I think it depends on where BvS ultimately ends up when it comes to the world wide numbers. It comes out after Civil War with certainty. How much longer afterward is the question. Very end of May if numbers crash 100%. I don't think they wait until June or the end of it but possible. Certainly not as far as July. No way do they wait that long given how things are. I do think we get it sooner rather then later in the end.

If they're concerned about the BvS affecting Suicide Squad then you don't push the BvS home release at the same time. Unless they're sure it will be better received and have the statements to back it up and they're sure SS will be received well. Then I can see pushing both with the hopes the possible positives help both.

The little info we have, points to those sequences being Snyder's fault not Goyer's. And the source of that is Faraci of all people.

Certainly seems like

the stuff Faraci has to say about the script is spot on (as he saw it ages ago I think)

It was in the original Goyer draft, but t made sense then as I think Brainiac or something was giving him visions.

It isnt present in Terrio's sciprt, but either Synder or WB Execs added it back in apparently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom