• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ghostbusters is an interesting comparison in that has the advantages of not having a three wait following a critically divisive movie and that much of its hate is being driven by sexists, so people might be inclined to give it more of a fair shake. Or at least rally behind it because it rustles MRA jimmies.

But then you remember how beloved the original Ghostbusters is, how there are still a lot of hurt feelings over this not being GB3, and that there are a lot more sexists out there than any of us want to admit. Then realize the pump is primed for one hell of a shit storm.
I mean, putting all that aside, the Ghostbusters trailer was horrific in terms of actual content, actually saw it for the first time when I went to see BvS and was shocked at how bad it was. But no doubt if the movie is shit as it looks to be, it will definitely be a huge shitstorm online

ReiGun

I mean, putting all that aside, the Ghostbusters trailer was horrific in terms of actual content, actually saw it for the first time when I went to see BvS and was shocked at how bad it was. But no doubt if the movie is shit as it looks to be, it will definitely be a huge shitstorm online

Which is totally fair. I'm not that hot on it myself (probably gonna catch it on Netflix), and the girl I saw BvS with said it looked like shit.

If it's bad, it's bad. Much like BvS, there'll probably be a ton of legit criticisms to levy at it. But I think both* will be special cases in the sheer amount of bile they stir up online.

*Again, assuming GB is actually bad.

Snaku

Banned

To be fair Feig's films usually make for bad trailers. He's like a reverse Snyder.

But there is a lot of this going around.

I know. I know. Conspiracy theory. But I don't think it's that sinister; I think sites just know what gets clicks. I mean, how many io9 articles got posted on here during the lead up to BvS purely on the basis of the writer saying something negative about the DCEU. Then you check the comments or the threads and everyone shows up to either parrot what the article says or fight it.

There's been three years for certain sentiments to set in, and while I don't think SS will catch it as bad as BvS (especially if it's good), I think you'll see some people's perceptions colored based on the fact that they've parroted the same talking points for so long.

it's crazy how far it's seeped into the 'casual' crowd too. i was talking about how i thought suicide squad looked la flame and then somebody (who never reads online about movies or anything) mentioned that they heard it was having problems with reshooting because of the batman reviews lol

and then when I was at the theaters this weekend i ran into some acquaintances and they asked me if i was there to see batman v superman because they were skeptical about watching it because of the reviews.

RT owns people now and the nerd blogs are starting to get some leeway too.

Raptor

To make the scene worse, they pull the whole
dream within a dream nonsense. Which is an additional strike against it.

Agreed, Bruce should have seen the Flash when is already awake, that would have worked awesome, as it is we dont know if he still dreaming or what, bothers me a little.

Effect

To make the scene worse, they pull the whole
dream within a dream nonsense. Which is an additional strike against it.

This is what I didn't like about that. Up until that point I feel one can understand what just happen even if they don't understand why it happen. It helps explain Bruce's outlook and gives another reason to do what he's doing. What happens at the end shouldn't have been done. All that did was add an extra layer of confusion that wasn't at all needed. That entire section
with the Flash should have cut right out of the film. As soon as Bruce woke up the first time that should have been it. Then go right into him viewing the data that was unlocked. Or if you must have it then after he awakes the first time that's it. Then he sees Flash and then he disappears. You don't have him wake up again after that.

charsace

I saw BvS. I am scared for the justice league and the DC movie universe in general. Nolan has trolled the hell out Warner.

The movie is sloppy, convoluted even though it lacked depth, and stupid. A lot of what goes on in the movie feels unearned and the plot hardly makes sense because there isn't much meat to it. And Joker Luther is terrible. Would not have mattered who played him, there was nothing to work with.

ryan299

In the recent Collider Heroes, Campea and Schepp deny Faraci's report that all the fun in SS was in the trailers. Say they have inside info and know of other 'fun' scenes in the movie.

ReiGun

In the recent Collider Heroes, Campea and Schepp deny Faraci's report that all the fun in SS was in the trailers. Say they have inside info and know of other 'fun' scenes in the movie.

Shit like this is why I think we need to reevaluate how much space and attention we're giving blogs and rumors.

Got dudes out here reporting from sources how much "fun" is in the movie. As if "fun" is an objective, quantifiable thing. smh

Shit like this is why I think we need to reevaluate how much space and attention we're giving blogs and rumors.

Got dudes out here reporting from sources how much "fun" is in the movie. As if "fun" is an objective, quantifiable thing. smh

The blogs and rumors are largely harmless but the audience taking everything at face value, without a hint of skepticism is the problem. Vast majority of bloggers report on a rumor in a predominately opinion piece. What you end up with is a warped game of telephone. The initial rumor, which may or may not be based in truth, is confused with the opinion and spread. But that's how discourse is on the internet.

Really, rumors are best to reflect on for the absurdity. The "I'm 95% certain Spider-Man won't be white" rumor still cracks me up.

It's mostly just because people don't like Cyborg as a lead. I see your point though, and Effect's point about the downsides of Cyborg being replaced with Teen Titans, but if a Titans movie diminishes diversity too much, a Cyborg film should be replaced with something like Static Shock.
Well even just Teen Titans Robin is the only character that is 100% white human.
Cyborg - Black
Robin - White
Raven - maybe an Indian actress
Starfire - could be an asian actress
Beastboy - anything with green makeup.

Well even just Teen Titans Robin is the only character that is 100% white human.
Cyborg - Black
Robin - White
Raven - maybe an Indian actress
Starfire - could be an asian actress
Beastly - anything with green makeup.

DC should double down with diversity and have Bunker on the TT team. Having the first big screen gay superhero could be really fun. Also we need more Latino characters in general, my first choice would be Jaime Reyes but I'm not sure a solo Blue Beetle movie is possible right now.

black robin would be fine. asian robin would be tight etc.

hell i been saying michael b jordan would be a great dick grayson if you think about it. get his comic book redemption too (under ben affleck or somebody else)

i have a feeling batman is going to be a very solo affair though. 20 years in gotham. this movie's bruce prolly told them all to go to hell.

hell i been saying michael b jordan would be a great dick grayson if you think about it. get his comic book redemption too (under ben affleck or somebody else)

i have a feeling batman is going to be a very solo affair though. 20 years in gotham. this movie's bruce prolly told them all to go to hell.
Nah fam, BvS is all about walking Bruce back from that precipice.

I'm indifferent to the Batfamily but I have a feeling they'll have some kind of place in this universe if only because Affleck seems to be kind of aloof when it comes to the long game of commitment to these movies.

I imagine WB's backup plan if the DCEU really does die in a fire like everyone seems to think it's going to (or happening already according to some) they'll just focus the universe on the Batfleck corner and any films that can get that Batfamily cosign like Teen Titans, Suicide Squad, etc.

Would people accept Asian versions of most of the Batfamily.
Wouldn't they be considered double and triple stereotypes(martial artists, extreme intelligence, tech based)
based on past Gaf discussions?

Cass Cain is the Asian I need asap.

kmfdmpig

DC should double down with diversity and have Bunker on the TT team. Having the first big screen gay superhero could be really fun. Also we need more Latino characters in general, my first choice would be Jaime Reyes but I'm not sure a solo Blue Beetle movie is possible right now.

I wonder if the DC Rebirth setup for Blue Beetle would work on the big screen - Ted Kord training Jaime. A low budget version of Ted Kord hanging around with Booster Gold while trying to impart lessons on Jaime would be fun I think.

Firemind

it's crazy how far it's seeped into the 'casual' crowd too. i was talking about how i thought suicide squad looked la flame and then somebody (who never reads online about movies or anything) mentioned that they heard it was having problems with reshooting because of the batman reviews lol

and then when I was at the theaters this weekend i ran into some acquaintances and they asked me if i was there to see batman v superman because they were skeptical about watching it because of the reviews.

RT owns people now and the nerd blogs are starting to get some leeway too.
That's what I realized recently. RT has a lot of power over the audience. Makes you think how the extended cut would have fared...

Bleepey

lol Grace Randolph has always been just a tad shy of a full set but this BvS stuff has finally pushed her over. I get she loves the movie and believes it was unfairly judged but some of the comparisons she makes about it get real silly real fast.

I have an even bigger crush on her.

Cheebo

Banned
What always seems odd to me is people who see critics as some monolith who as a group to decide to like or dislike a movie. I mean I guess it helps with the persecution complex idea that critics are out to take out a movie, but there is no basis in reality in it. If a movie gets bad reviews it just means the majority of critics independently did not like the film.

The simplest answer is that Zack Synder has a history of making movies that critics rarely like and his movies tend to have very bad word of mouth. There is nothing really different at all with the critics and bad box-office legs with BvS than what happened to Sucker Punch or Man of Steel.

There is no conspiracy going on. People just tend to not like Synders style of movies for the most part, thats all there is to it.

ryan299

WB mulls releasing fewer movies after BvS under performs. Hollywood Reporter

Report says the BvS budget is in excess of 300 million.

Several sources say Warner Bros. executives were convinced they had the goods with BvS and were shocked when negative reviews began pouring in. Now, with DC movies dated through 2020, the outcome has led to a flurry of rumors that the studio will make adjustments — maybe add a new producer? — rather than allow BvS director Zack Snyder to proceed with the two-part Justice League. But sources with firsthand knowledge of the situation say the studio has no such plans. One says the filmmakers naturally will evaluate what went wrong with BvS, but when it comes to Justice League, "we're not going to take a movie that's supposed to be one thing and turn it into a copycat of something else."

One agent notes BvS likely won't get to $1 billion despite launching the universe with "two of the most iconic characters in history." Pointing out that Jurassic World pulled in $1.67 billion globally, he continues, "you can't tell me Batman v. Superman is so much less valuable."

Many top industry executives believe the troubles with BvS are the latest sign of the instability created when Time Warner chairman and CEO Jeff Bewkes ousted Alan Horn as president in 2011. That set the stage for the infamous executive bake-off and the exit of Jeff Robinov, then head of the successful film group.

Tabby

It's amazing that after it was done shooting it had what, a full year and a bit? and we still ended up with what we got.

Maddocks

The ship will be righted after Suicide Squad, they will finally drop Synder as director, he is fine with world building and from what I have seen the foundation is a good one, it just needs time to let things be built on it.

Have others direct and have synder do his little passion projects with the money he will earn by being producer of this world. They still have the best trump card they can have, The Rock, they just need to start releasing info on Shazam and let him be the billion dollar man that he is.

Cheebo

Banned
The fact WB was shocked it got bad reviews shows just how out of touch they are with audiences. Crazy. 300 mil though. Yeeeesh.

I suspect they are going to severely cut how many DC films they release and only go with the bigger name characters. Won't be surprised if Flash, Green Lantern Corps, and the Cyborg films quietly get axed.

The fact WB was shocked it got bad reviews shows just how out of touch they are with audiences. Crazy. 300 mil though. Yeeeesh.

I suspect they are going to severely cut how many DC films they release and only go with the bigger name characters. Won't be surprised if Flash, Green Lantern Corps, and the Cyborg films quietly get axed.

Wonderful.

Congratulations to everybody hoping it failed!

PBY

Banned
Are you guys not concerned that for JL - regardless of whether the film is dope or not - if they keep Snyder on, its just going to be absolutely toxic for that movie?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So they're basically doubling down on DC and Lego in lieu of things like Jupiter Ascending? So much for heads rolling.

It'd be a pretty terrible lesson for WB to pull that out of BvS. WW was universally praised and people were legitimately excited for her appearance.

I like that WB is at least sticking to their guns instead of resorting to aping Marvel.

BadAss2961

Well, even in all the doom and gloom, the article suggests Warner's staying the course with the DCEU. So i'm good.

The universe is finally off the ground. DC's gonna make them a lot of money as long as they don't panic. Those that want it to fail are pushing for the scrap button now, they'll be disappointed later.

Are you guys not concerned that for JL - regardless of whether the film is dope or not - if they keep Snyder on, its just going to be absolutely toxic for that movie?

In terms of quality? Not really. I think if they take the criticisms to heart we can pretty easily get a widely-liked movie out of it.

In terms of reception... I don't know. Frankly, I'm not sure that the average viewer really much cares about the director. The actors are the most visible bit, that's what they focus on from movie to movie. A lot of them get more into it, but a lot of them don't, they're just interested in the property and the on-screen talent.

Critical reception is another story, though.

Maddocks

JL is Synder's last chance, if he fucks it up, he is gone forever. If JL with Batman,Superman,Wonder Woman and the rest of the crew shown fails to reach 1 billion, then say goodbye to Synder's involvement, he will be producer in name only. This I am confident about. He gets one more chance with WB and if JL is panned by critics and fans alike, then he is gone.

PBY

Banned
In terms of quality? Not really. I think if they take the criticisms to heart we can pretty easily get a widely-liked movie out of it.

In terms of reception... I don't know. Frankly, I'm not sure that the average viewer really much cares about the director. The actors are the most visible bit, that's what they focus on from movie to movie. A lot of them get more into it, but a lot of them don't, they're just interested in the property and the on-screen talent.

Critical reception is another story, though.

Personally, I think in terms of quality its fucked because I have zero faith in Zach - but I'm open to be proved wrong.

But no, I meant more in terms of reception and overall acceptance. BvS was so hated, and Snyder too, that I have a hard time seeing critics or the internet really giving it a fair shake.

Personally, I think in terms of quality its fucked because I have zero faith in Zach - but I'm open to be proved wrong.

But no, I meant more in terms of reception and overall acceptance. BvS was so hated, and Snyder too, that I have a hard time seeing critics or the internet really giving it a fair shake.

That was true before BvS though.

Obviously, the best move from a PR perspective would be to ditch him, but I'm not sure that's an option for a whole slate of reasons.

PBY

Banned
That was true before BvS though.

Obviously, the best move from a PR perspective would be to ditch him, but I'm not sure that's an option for a whole slate of reasons.

Word. We'll see what happens.

I think shit is super doom and gloom now (probably rightfully so bc this BO has been a shitshow), BUT I think that SS will do a lot of damage control and set the rest up fine.

Maddocks

Reading the thread in the OP and people still believing the debunked rumor about Suicide Squad reshoots adding humor?

I now know what Lex felt like in Zod's ship when he heard batman's voice over the radio.

Word. We'll see what happens.

I think shit is super doom and gloom now (probably rightfully so bc this BO has been a shitshow), BUT I think that SS will do a lot of damage control and set the rest up fine.

SS will help, but I think WW is what will sell people going into JL. I'm less certain of its quality (but then, no trailer), but if it really manages to get people to like the character, that + her performance in BvS could end up putting butts in seats, not to see Batman and Superman but to see Wondy.

Now that'd be a hell of a thing.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
They need to move Wonder Woman's release date though. That thing releases the same day as Transformers 5 and is sandwiched between Cars 3, Kingsman 2, WWZ 2, Despicable Me 3 and Spider-Man. That's a fucking murderer's row of $200M blockbusters.

They need to move Wonder Woman's release date though. That thing releases the same day as Transformers 5 and is sandwiched between Cars 3, Kingsman 2, WWZ 2, Despicable Me 3 and Spider-Man.

Spider-Man is the only one of those I think it should be worried about. Kingsmen at a stretch. WWZ is striking well after that particular iron was hot, Despicable Me (and the minions) seem to have run their course, and Transformer's domestic BO keeps dropping. It'll do crazy well in China, though.

Moving it is probably the safer option, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom