• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackdoe

I honestly think they are about the same quality. That's why I am very confused with BvS's thrashing.

Like my issues with Force Awakens are kinda contrived plot points and I don't understand some of the characters motivations, all the while the plot is just a redoing of new hope. I still don't really see any reason why Finn and Poe are straight up best friends out of nowhere.

But then everyone loses their mind that Batman and Superman become friendly.

To me they are about equally flawed and I loved both of them regardless, but one gets great reviews for some reason.
This is completely OT, but Poe didn't spend 2/3rds of the movie staring daggers at Finn and planning on how to kill him. That's the main difference.

guek

Banned
I honestly think they are about the same quality. That's why I am very confused with BvS's thrashing.

Like my issues with Force Awakens are kinda contrived plot points and I don't understand some of the characters motivations, all the while the plot is just a redoing of new hope. I still don't really see any reason why Finn and Poe are straight up best friends out of nowhere.

But then everyone loses their mind that Batman and Superman become friendly.

To me they are about equally flawed and I loved both of them regardless, but one gets great reviews for some reason.

As someone who enjoys TFA but thinks it's got some glaring problems, I can see where you're coming from. I think though the biggest difference is pacing and editing. TFA has some dumb plot developments and iffy acting in parts but it's still overall enjoyable to watch. The first half of BvS being a slog and disjointed poisons the well further on top of the movie's own plot problems.

Regarding Suicide Squad re-shoots....

https://twitter.com/brettschulte/status/717787380321619969 - God fucking damnit

And now Jai Courtney says more action scenes are being added, "Don't believe everything you read": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr83sLEAU1A

Also looks like Jared is now clean shaven and in a makeup trailer (environment looks like it plus you can see the stylist/mirrors in his glasses)

tumblr_o587qwNs1z1shxv8yo1_1280.jpg

The debunk's been debunked!
Rebunked?

Faraci has been pretty on the money with his BvS "scoops," I'm not sure why so many of you guys hate him.

guek

Banned
Every movie ever has reshoots of varying length. Let's panic anyway though, always fun.

I just think it's funny how some people have been grumbling "fucking Faraci" before it turned out that, at the very least, the rumor isn't something he just made up on the spot. This isn't the first time that's happened either.

I don't hate him because of his dc stuff. I've never liked the guy. Dude's been insufferable since avatar days.

I don't care for any of these movie blogs with comic book slants though to be fair. It's 50/50 conjecture mixed with real stuff. And it fuels the mcu and dc fanboys something fierce.

McWeeny was right though for sure. I wish he came out with a "I'm not surprised motherfuckers" after the reviews hit haha but that would be pretty unprofessional

The twitter link is apparently a hollywood tech guy (verified) on the set of the movie. The guy in the photo posted is Leto, he had a big ol beard in pics from the past few days, now it's gone and he's sitting in a makeup trailer (the environment, CSI enhance his glasses, you can see the mirrors,lights, and stylist)
So that is Leto? Doesn't look like him at all.

How are they going to handle the green hair?

I don't hate him because of his dc stuff. I've never liked the guy. Dude's been insufferable since avatar days.

I don't care for any of these movie blogs with comic book slants though to be fair.

Faraci's been trying to move away from the comic book slant to some extent. Hence, renaming his site from "BadassDigest" to "Birth.Movies.Death."

His podcast "The Canon" is legitimately great, and they had a fantastic discussion on Supes (78) vs Bats (89) last week.

guek

Banned

I don't care for any of these movie blogs with comic book slants though to be fair. It's 50/50 conjecture mixed with real stuff. And it fuels the mcu and dc fanboys something fierce.

McWeeny was right though for sure. I wish he came out with a "I'm not surprised motherfuckers" after the reviews hit haha but that would be pretty unprofessional

Faraci is a bit of a douche, no doubt about it, but lots of people tried to paint him as a rumor-monger that talked out of his ass just so he could put down DC.

Did you ever read McWeeny's article about fanboys in response to the venom that was slung his way after he made those infamous comments? It's pretty damn good.

IconGrist

What pisses me off is we don't know if the dark in SS was the good kind of dark or the bad. WB doesn't seem to know the difference so it's a toss up if these reshoots will benefit the movie or hurt it tonally.

Are these rumors of reshoot true?
If so,
It's rafter unfair David Ayer is sorta punish because of BvS, I mean he's done good films before, wasn't End of Watch rated highly?

Cheebo

Banned
Why anyone doubted Faraci to begin with was odd. And then latched onto those who "debunked" it who have a far worse track record than him. He may not like BvS but he clearly has a VERY good source. He was the first to report on the Zod/Doomsday finale and the first to report BvS would deal heavily with the aftermath of MoS.

If so,
It's rafter unfair David Ayer is sorta punish because of BvS, I mean he's done good films before, wasn't End of Watch rated highly?

He's supposed to be pretty hit and miss by all accounts. However his hits are supposed to be reeeaaally good, like Fury. Either way, there has been no indication that the reshoots are related to BvS. Faraci said it was because they wanted to bring the tone of the movie closer to the second trailer. However even that isn't necessarily the reason.

IconGrist

Why anyone doubted Faraci to begin with was odd. And then latched onto those who "debunked" it who have a far worse track record than him. He may not like BvS but he clearly has a VERY good source. He was the first to report on the Zod/Doomsday finale and the first to report BvS would deal heavily with the aftermath of MoS.

Pretty sure both of those were leaked on reddit long before Faraci reported them. Hell, the MoS special features basically give the Doomsday thing away.

kmag

If so,

This isn't a reaction to BvS performance or reception, they're not reassembling the cast and coming up with 3 weeks of reshoots in less than 2 weeks. It might be a reaction to the business Deadpool did meaning they think they can push the line a bit

All the vitriol aimed at Faraci seems dumb in retrospect, don't it? I am excited that someone at WB wants to make a movie people will want to watch.

Ephemeris

"Warner Bros. also set dates for two of its now-untitled DC films: Oct. 5, 2018 and Nov. 1, 2019. An untitled WB event film is slates for Oct. 6, 2017."

If they drop a Batman movie on my birthday ... awww yiss.

3N16MA

Banned
Spider-Man is the only one of those I think it should be worried about. Kingsmen at a stretch. WWZ is striking well after that particular iron was hot, Despicable Me (and the minions) seem to have run their course, and Transformer's domestic BO keeps dropping. It'll do crazy well in China, though.

Moving it is probably the safer option, though.

Zombies are still big business and I wouldn't count WWZ 2 out. Minions grossed 336M domestic on bad reviews and is the 2nd highest grossing animated film of all time. Transformers is falling but still did 100M OW the last time around. That is plenty of competition for WW.

You also have to look at OS release dates and there are some heavy hitters in June.

Bad Boys 2 is now its biggest competition OW.

Zombies are still big business and I wouldn't count WWZ 2 out. Minions grossed 336M domestic on bad reviews and is the 2nd highest grossing animated film of all time. Transformers is falling but still did 100M OW the last time around. That is plenty of competition for WW.

You also have to look at OS release dates and there are some heavy hitters in June.

Bad Boys 2 is not its biggest competition OW.

It's a moot point now, lol.

Cheebo

Banned
All the vitriol aimed at Faraci seems dumb in retrospect, don't it? I am excited that someone at WB wants to make a movie people will want to watch.

Exactly. I dont get why anyone here would be worried. This is a positive. It shows WB is willing to listen to the audience reactions to Man of Steel and Batman v Superman. Why would anyone want them to keep releasing films in a style that no one likes?

This is good news for the future of the DCEU for sure.

Exactly. I dont get why anyone here would be worried. This is a positive. It shows WB is willing to listen to the audience reactions to Man of Steel and Batman v Superman. Why would anyone want them to keep releasing films in a style that no one likes?

Unless you liked what Suicide Squad looked to be.

And there's still an existing denial from Collider about the "all the fun scenes in the movie were in the trailer" stuff.

Besides the overall more realistic aesthetic and Batman, in what way is Suicide Squad like MoS or BvS? Different director, different writer, different tone (focused more on humor and the ensemble cast), etc.

The only real connection between BvS and SS is that it takes place in the same universe. No one here can say that criticisms towards BvS apply to Suicide Squad

What if you like the darker tone they were going for?

Cheebo

Banned
Unless you liked what Suicide Squad looked to be.

And there's still an existing denial from Collider about the "all the fun scenes in the movie were in the trailer" stuff.

Faraci has a long-standing proven track record with this stuff. The Collider guys are complete jokes. They endlessy claimed up and down all last year they were 100% convinced from their sources that Snoke would be revealed to be Plagueis in TFA. No one should take their word over Faraci when it comes to this kind of stuff.

What if you like the darker tone they were going for?

Clearly it was rejected by audiences so it would be sending the DCEU on a death spiral which I can't imagine anyone would want?

IconGrist

Faraci has a long-standing proven track record with this stuff. The Collider guys are complete jokes. They endlessy claimed up and down all last year they were 100% convinced from their sources that Snoke would be revealed to be Plagueis in TFA. No one should take their word over Faraci when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Faraci has been wrong as many times as he has been right. And honestly a lot of his 'rights' have been things people could just as easily guess. Faraci claimed BvS would feel redundant after Age of Ultron because he was piggy backing off of the massive robot battle rumor. He also brought up a "4th act" to BvS that was also not actually a thing. It's easy to bring up what panned out and call him reliable but don't just go ignoring the shit he was way off base with.

jackdoe

Clearly it was rejected by audiences so it would be sending the DCEU on a death spiral which I can't imagine anyone would want?
You can't say "clearly" when it isn't clear. There are a host of problems with Batman v Superman, and tone isn't near the top of the list. If Batman v Superman was better put together, with better narrative flow, and had more action that was better staged and audiences STILL rejected it, then you might have a point.

But I've been assured repeatedly that people's problems with BvS are about delivery, writing, and plot, not tone.

the tone works for batman. it's not very flattering for superman though. for that reason and also the pacing, editing/inclusion of certain scenes and the script is what brought it down.

Verendus

Banned
New WW date, June 2 2017 up from the 23.

A week after Pirates 5, same day as Bad Boys 3 and a week before World War Z 2 and the Mummy

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/warner-bros-pushes-jungle-book-881353?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+THRComicCon+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Heat+Vision%29

Batman and Superman dates?
Warner Bros. thinking like I do. They just need to go harder. Three to four movies a year should be their aim. It's the smart thing to do. They have no franchises at the moment, and the best way to fill that is using these superhero movies and leveraging them for your merchandise lines. It's a better investment than anything else they have going on, and an easy way to generate revenue. Wonder Woman is going to have a tough time with its release. I'm assuming that 2018 movie is The Batman. I hope it's not a prequel.

I'm very interested in this other so called event movie for late next year. I feel like I'm owed a good disaster movie after they let me down with San Andreas. So, here's what they should do. They should take The Rock, and put him in another disaster movie. But this time, they should throw in a bunch of monsters or machines or something crazy like that. Maybe we use aliens this time. The point is, I feel like I'm owed a good disaster movie with The Rock, and this better be it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Sending WW to die during summer 2017, why is this studio so fucking clueless? What's wrong with giving the movie a breathing period and not stucking it with a bunch of blockbusters during summer?

I don't get man, but then I remember this very same studio green lighted a big budget movie about peter pan, and it's doing a gritty Tarzan adaptation.

Sending WW to die during summer 2017, why is this studio so fucking clueless? What's wrong with giving the movie a breathing period and not stucking it with a bunch of blockbusters during summer?

I don't get man, but then I remember this very same studio green lighted a big budget movie about peter pan, and it's doing a gritty Tarzan adaptation.

schedule's getting more and more crowded now. you can't put movies anywhere without running into competition next year.

Draconian

How exactly is it being sent to die again? Holy crap at the hyperbole.

ReiGun

Besides the overall more realistic aesthetic and Batman, in what way is Suicide Squad like MoS or BvS? Different director, different writer, different tone (focused more on humor and the ensemble cast), etc.

The only real connection between BvS and SS is that it takes place in the same universe. No one here can say that criticisms towards BvS apply to Suicide Squad

Exactly. This all feels like an impulsive overreaction.

Verendus

Banned
schedule's getting more and more crowded now. you can't put movies anywhere without running into competition next year.
The March to August stretch is pretty incredible for big action movies.

The Wolverine 2
Fast 8
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Pirates of the Caribbean
Bad Boys 3
Wonder Woman
The Mummy
World War Z 2
Kingsman 2
Transformers 5
Spider-Man
War of the Planet of the Apes
Alien: Covenant

Bold is what I'm looking forward to most.

Summer of 2017 is pretty stacked if you haven't looked.

That's everywhere. Hell, they can't even stick it in the late March/April slot because that's where Ghost in the Shell is. March is Kong, Wolverine 2, PR, and Beauty and the Beast. April has Fast 8 right in the middle. May is GoTG 2 and Pirates. February is Lego Batman, Fifty Shades Darker and John Wick 2. Your best shot is September/October

Kibbles

This weekend at the MTV Movie Awards according to rumors/speculation/reports.

It's been confirmed, MTV.com has posted about it and had a video ad, they keep referring to it as a clip, which is odd, idk if they always do that but don't they usually premiere trailers at the MTV Movie Awards? I vaguely remember seeing a Hunger games trailer.

Anyway, Jared, Margot, Cara, and Will Smith are all supposed to be there to present the preview. Considering the reshoots, I wonder if they'll go in character? :eek:

BadAss2961

Warner Bros. thinking like I do. They just need to go harder. Three to four movies a year should be their aim. It's the smart thing to do. They have no franchises at the moment, and the best way to fill that is using these superhero movies and leveraging them for your merchandise lines. It's a better investment than anything else they have going on, and an easy way to generate revenue. Wonder Woman is going to have a tough time with its release. I'm assuming that 2018 movie is The Batman. I hope it's not a prequel.
Agreed. They just need to stay the course with DC. These movies will churn out huge profits in the long run regardless of any early knee-jerk reactions on the internet.

I've accepted that BvS wasn't the homerun it was expected to be, but it wasn't a disaster either. More like a walk to first base. Finally laid that groundwork.

That's everywhere. Hell, they can't even stick it in the late March/April slot because that's where Ghost in the Shell is. March is Kong, Wolverine 2, PR, and Beauty and the Beast. April has Fast 8 right in the middle. May is GoTG 2 and Pirates. February is Lego Batman, Fifty Shades Darker and John Wick 2. Your best shot is September/October

Oh yeah, I know. I looked at the 2017 schedule a few weeks back when a friend was wondering what was coming out next year. The second half of August is open. But yeah, 2017 is stacked across the board.

It's been confirmed, MTV.com has posted about it and had a video ad, they keep referring to it as a clip, which is odd, idk if they always do that but don't they usually premiere trailers at the MTV Movie Awards? I vaguely remember seeing a Hunger games trailer.

Anyway, Jared, Margot, Cara, and Will Smith are all supposed to be there to present the preview. Considering the reshoots, I wonder if they'll go in character? :eek:

TDKR had a trailer at the show back in 2012. I gotta be honest, I don't pay attention to the MTV Movie Awards unless there is a reason to and the last time I watched was 2012 for TDKR footage.

I have looked. So if they don't release it at least a month away from any other tentpole release, it's being sent to die now?

Yes, IMO. I don't think it's going to be amazing, it's releasing in a packed schedule, and the reception to DC movies has been iffy at best. Hell, I'd have serious concerns if Justice League had the June 2017 release date at this point.

Jeez that and the Jack Black Spider-Man bit. Bale accepting some award from Routh and saying para "sorry Superman. Batman's better." made folks flip out. Closed we got to Batman and Superman with real people back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom