• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's no secret I'm a huge fan of Johns. I'd say let him do the treatment or the story beats and have someone else flesh out the dialogue and the scenes. He's actually a good scriptwriter imo, I like all of his flash episodes, though not so much huntress on arrow.

Curious his IMDB credits him for writing the Shazam movie. I'd love to see him on that and GLC or Aquaman/Flash.

Raptor

Well I saw Superman vs The Elite last night.

I have to say the more I see of this great animated movies the more pissed I get at Snyder and his Superman version lol.

As much as I love MoS and BvS the Superman in Superman vs TE is by far more heroic, more human, more about what Jor-El meant with that "They will stumble, they will fall but in the end they will join you in the sun" Superman even says to the freaking UN that "People have the capacity for being better, being good without killing" etc. Snyder Supes doesnt convey that at all in the movies, in fact he was about to throw the damn towel on us because he was misunderstood, jeez.

Animated Supes mom or dad would never say "You dont owe us a damn thing" lmao, they would probably say "Show us the way, lead by example that teh human race can be good" same as Jor-El, well Jor-El indeed was very good in the movies, everything he said was on point, but no Kal still had doubts about what to do, if Snyder doesnt fix his personality and spirit in JL I will forever say fuck him and fire his ass for good and will think he just doesnt understand this character, for now I will give him the benefit of teh doubt because if there is a greater plan then is all good.

After all he did do what Lois was sad of thinking he would do and that is
"die to let know the human race is worth dying for"

Love talking about this while watching the animated stuff :D

IconGrist

Animated Supes mom or dad would never say "You dont owe us a damn thing" lmao, they would probably say "Show us the way, lead by example that teh human race can be good" -

See I never liked that. It sounds like his parents admitting that humans ain't shit and we need to be taught like we're a bunch of children. Superman was raised by them, he doesn't know any better than they do.

ryan299

Mayimbe says he heard the recent 2019 date is the Batman film.

He says SS tested recently and there's a lot more of Batman in the film then we've been led to believe. According to the source who gave him the description for the last SS trailer, the next one is cut to the song Ballroom Blitz.

IconGrist

Meant to post this in this thread:

Gal on the WW movie:

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/won...oments-humour/

- Some humour, but overall pretty DARK (reshoot rumours in 1...2...)

-"We go back 100 years to when she's more naïve,"

- "She's this young idealist. She's pure. Very different to the experienced, super-confident, grown-up woman you've seen."

I like what she said but I have a question. Didn't they confirm Diana is over 5,000 years old? And she was a naive young idealist for roughly 4,900 of them? World War I must have been a helluva thing for her. I hope that's represented well.

How it must feel to get asked that question in interviews if the movies have 'humour' in them.

I wish Raimi would do The Flash....

'From the Man who brought you Spider-Man 1 and Spider-Man 2'

Ashhong

Dark, young, naive, that's DCEU alright.

Incoming Wonder Woman kills people issues

I like what she said but I have a question. Didn't they confirm Diana is over 5,000 years old? And she was a naive young idealist for roughly 4,900 of them? World War I must have been a helluva thing for her. I hope that's represented well.

In the comics or the animated stuff, doesn't she only live in her country themyscsrjdbekdn? Not sure about her history but I could see her growing up there for 5000 years until she's like fuck it, out I go!

Effect

Meant to post this in this thread:

Gal on the WW movie:

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/won...oments-humour/

- Some humour, but overall pretty DARK (reshoot rumours in 1...2...)

-"We go back 100 years to when she's more naïve,"

- "She's this young idealist. She's pure. Very different to the experienced, super-confident, grown-up woman you've seen."

Not directed at you but just in general to those already complaining about the "Dark" part. Reposting what I posted in the spoiler thread.

Wonder Woman is taking place during events of World War 1. I don't see how that shit isn't dark or at least serious. That's one of the big problems I had with the first Captain America film. That wasn't dark enough considered the setting it was being placed in. You do a huge disservice when you don't try to at least present a setting appropriately when you're dealing with live action and historical settings and events.

Yes dark for the sake of dark isn't good. However if the subject matter and setting calls for it then it should be okay.

WhiteWolf

Mayimbe says he heard the recent 2019 date is the Batman film.

He says SS tested recently and there's a lot more of Batman in the film then we've been led to believe. According to the source who gave him the description for the last SS trailer, the next one is cut to the song Ballroom Blitz.
I hope this is true, I want a scene where Batman takes down each squad member one by one.

IconGrist

In the comics or the animated stuff, doesn't she only live in her country themyscsrjdbekdn? Not sure about her history but I could see her growing up there for 5000 years until she's like fuck it, out I go!

What generally happens is Trevor accidentally finds himself on Themyscira and Diana one way or another is selected to take him back to Man's world. I can see why she would be that way for so long but it just came off a little odd when said aloud, lol.

I hope this is true, I want a scene where Batman takes down each squad member one by one.

Assault on Arkham baby, that's what the movie should be.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_n9kcmsWDnp1r4xlsmo1_500.gif

Ashhong

What generally happens is Trevor accidentally finds himself on Themyscira and Diana one way or another is selected to take him back to Man's world. I can see why she would be that way for so long but it just came off a little odd when said aloud, lol.

I hope they don't spend too much time doing a "fish out of water" type storyline then

tim1138

It's no secret I'm a huge fan of Johns. I'd say let him do the treatment or the story beats and have someone else flesh out the dialogue and the scenes. He's actually a good scriptwriter imo, I like all of his flash episodes, though not so much huntress on arrow.

Curious his IMDB credits him for writing the Shazam movie. I'd love to see him on that and GLC or Aquaman/Flash.

Johns wrote a treatment for a Shazam movie years ago, he's also done one for a Metal Men movie.

I can't say I hate or love Wonder Woman as a dark movie. If Patty can pull it off, go for it. I do think the lack of variety might hurt WB though. Saying the movie universe is director driven but then having 3 films in a row that are more serious/dark doesn't give that impression.

Johns wrote a treatment for a Shazam movie years ago, he's also done one for a Metal Men movie.

Oh that's cool, I hope Lemke uses his treatment or the new 52 origin for some inspiration. I can't think of a DC property more developed and obscured at the same time as metal men that could be made into the movie. That's even more of a long shot than Doom Patrol or Plastic Man. They'd have to go CGI and kid aimed for it to have a chance at all.

Maybe Ambush bug or Sgt Rock has less of a chance of being made into a movie, but we have a Jonah hex movie so...

Scratch that, I'll be amazed if Challengers of the Unknown gets made.

Draconian

I can't say I hate or love Wonder Woman as a dark movie. If Patty can pull it off, go for it. I do think the lack of variety might hurt WB though. Saying the movie universe is director driven but then having 3 films in a row that are more serious/dark doesn't give that impression.

I guess people are just going to keep saying this until they make an out and out comedy aren't they?

Dead

well not really...yet
I would actually love for Wonder Woman to be super colorful. The Grant Morrison Wonder Woman graphic novel that just came out is super colorful and it's really beautiful to look at. But at the same time I am ok with what's been shown so far (and of course we havent seen anything final yet)

jackdoe

I guess people are just going to keep saying this until they make an out and out comedy aren't they?
Well, no. It just means they'd fall into a house style, which is never good for diversity within a line. That pretty much guarantees that if people didn't like the style of previous movies, they'll probably never like any other films produced. Marvel films already have this problem. I don't mind their style at all, but my brother hates it and dislikes all their movies because of it (even the unequivocally good ones like Winter Soldier).

ryan299

Mayimbe just said it's possible WB drops the new SS trailer after the movie awards on Sunday. If they do I guess we'd be getting a 4th one like BvS closer to release.

Can we have Justice League villain casting soon please? Darkseid, Orm, Brainiac, I dont care gimme

Mayimbe just said it's possible WB drops the new SS trailer after the movie awards on Sunday. If they do I guess we'd be getting a 4th one like BvS closer to release.
Eh Maybe also said that SS will have a lot more Batman then anyone ever let on. At first I felt a little bit of disgust, but upon further thinking I want it. Especially considering it takes place after BvS, so I'm intrigued to see how Batman's philosophy has changed.

Can we have Justice League villain casting soon please? Darkseid, Orm, Brainiac, I dont care gimme

Eh Maybe also said that SS will have a lot more Batman then anyone ever let on. At first I felt a little bit of disgust, but upon further thinking I want it. Especially considering it takes place after BvS, so I'm intrigued to see how Batman's philosophy has changed.

Maybe we'll get something on Monday when the official production press release gets sent out?

Effect

Maybe we'll get something on Monday when the official production press release gets sent out?
When something like that goes out we should be getting a lot of information. Story, additional characters, villains, any new producers, etc. Maybe even promotional footage and what the actual title is. I'm still curious as to what the Wonder Woman film title will be. If it's actually Wonder Woman or something else.

Probably be the last squad trailer I'll watch voluntarily. The only bvs trailer I regret seeing is the last one, the warehouse scene would have been something great to not have spoiled.

I'm not even risking it this time. WB are spoiler maniacs.
Aren't trailers based on the people doing the films or Does WB have a say in what trailers would look like?

I know Nolan's trailers hardly ever spoil anything, even when he didn't have his untouchable status he has now

Firemind

I don't know if it's okay to spoil things now, but as a warning spoilers are untagged in this post.

Having watched BvS for a third time, I really don't agree with people who said the cameos were misplaced. The execution could have been better, but they were needed to tie things together. They had two functions. Firstly, it was placed before the titular battle because it gave Diana another reason why she wants to help out Bruce and Clark. Secondly, it made the line of Bruce "We have to find the others" possible. Without Bruce's knowledge of the other members, it would have been a standalone film with a closed off ending, possibly with Lex hinting at something bigger. It's titled Dawn of Justice for a reason. The cameos help in the way that there IS a Justice League to look forward to. If you put it as an after credits scene it would have made no sense. As I said the execution of the cameos could have been better. The more I watch it the more I like the Flash and Aquaman cameos. The Cyborg one I like less and less because of how many questions it raises. The CG was also awful.

As I watched, I understand why some the scenes were shot. At first I thought the Lois subplot was pointless, but now I get that it's necessary for Lois to commit to her love for Clark. At the bathtub scene, she had reservations if they could be together, but after she found out the truth in Africa, she had no more reservations and she tries everything in her power to help Clark. The editing made everything feel disjointed. You go from Lois to Bruce to Lex to Lois; it would have been better if they connected some of the scene transitions with another instead of going through them chronologically and witness the disjointed mess we got. I wonder if there's going to be a director's cut along the line that fixes this. Because, really, some of the complaints could have been easily fixed with better editing.

Lastly, Wondy killed Superman. It's true.

I don't know if it's okay to spoil things now, but as a warning spoilers are untagged in this post.

Having watched BvS for a third time, I really don't agree with people who said the cameos were misplaced. The execution could have been better, but they were needed to tie things together. They had two functions. Firstly, it was placed before the titular battle because it gave Diana another reason why she wants to help out Bruce and Clark. Secondly, it made the line of Bruce "We have to find the others" possible. Without Bruce's knowledge of the other members, it would have been a standalone film with a closed off ending, possibly with Lex hinting at something bigger. It's titled Dawn of Justice for a reason. The cameos help in the way that there IS a Justice League to look forward to. If you put it as an after credits scene it would have made no sense. As I said the execution of the cameos could have been better. The more I watch it the more I like the Flash and Aquaman cameos. The Cyborg one I like less and less because of how many questions it raises. The CG was also awful.

As I watched, I understand why some the scenes were shot. At first I thought the Lois subplot was pointless, but now I get that it's necessary for Lois to commit to her love for Clark. At the bathtub scene, she had reservations if they could be together, but after she found out the truth in Africa, she had no more reservations and she tries everything in her power to help Clark. The editing made everything feel disjointed. You go from Lois to Bruce to Lex to Lois; it would have been better if they connected some of the scene transitions with another instead of going through them chronologically and witness the disjointed mess we got. I wonder if there's going to be a director's cut along the line that fixes this. Because, really, some of the complaints could have been easily fixed with better editing.

Lastly, Wondy killed Superman. It's true

you know, I thought the same thing.

Lastly, Wondy killed Superman. It's true.
I didn't mind the cameos except for the awkward nature of Aquaman's intro. It felt off with him just floating still without really doing anything. I was told however his part might have been trimmed so hopefully it looks cooler in the extended edition. The Flash 7/11 security footage was really cool though. I had similar feelings as you and just took the cameos as what would usually be shown after credits in Marvel movies except in this case they were just integrated into the film.

Maybe, but it doesn't really matter does it?

let's be real here.

No it doesn't. I wouldn't be surprised if every DC hero gets the no kill rule painted on them. I'ma laugh if people are upset Flash kills when he's been straight up killing Earth-2 bad guys on the tv show.

WB have confirmed that Snyder will stay on for Justice League.

5ojUq4T.gif

Personally, for my enjoyment of the movie, I'm fine with this. More action please though, and try not to cram so much into one movie!

For marketing and critic reception, I'm concerned. It's an uphill battle coming off of BvS. It's going to need stellar reviews to convince some people to give it a try. They need to lift the embargo like a week or two earlier as well, alongside great reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom