• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
WB have confirmed that Snyder will stay on for Justice League.

5ojUq4T.gif

Did people seriously think there was still a chance he'd be taken off it? I felt he was never in danger, but others did for whatever reason and cited Justice League Mortal and the Burton Superman as proof but forget the context in which those films were canned.

I'm happy that Snyder is still on it, I like BvS afterall. But yea I wonder how they're going to market it. The movie will HAVE to be an absolute crowd pleaser and stellar reviews have to come out well in advance of the movies release.

Dead

well not really...yet
I doubt there will be an official PR from WB confirming Snyder, as that would just feed into the idea that he was ever in jeopardy. Might see PR confirming start of filming or something generic like that.

Ben Affleck by the way already rented a home in london for during shooting.

Ashhong

I doubt there will be an official PR from WB confirming Snyder, as that would just feed into the idea that he was ever in jeopardy. Might see PR confirming start of filming or something generic like that.

Ben Affleck by the way already rented a home in london for during shooting.

Well I just read that WB thread. Not official statement but that's what I meant, some context to it. I wonder about how that article says it's a two parter though. They are probably just wrong right? It's not a 2 parter?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm happy with this on a personal level but worried about how hard critics will go allin to destroy it. I don't think there is a conspiracy but I definitely think they go into watching a Snyder film with a heightened sensd of scrutiny. Fingers crossed guys.

IconGrist

Snyder was never in danger like I've been saying. BvS disappointed but still made money and Snyder created the whole outline plus is funding it with his production company. He was never going anywhere.

Maddocks

This close to filming, they would never toss him. But if JL gets panned and doesn't reach 900- 1 billion, he is out no doubt in my mind.

shingi70

Banned
Just got home from my 2nd viewing and I like it even better. I see where Snyder was going for with superman even if I don't agree with aspects with.

Biggest problem is that Snyder took two stories that can be films on their own and mash them together with a bit of corporate synergy mixed in on the side.

I loved the cinematography and music. I want even more Perry White and Alfred as, Fishburne and Irons killed it. I'm actually excited for a Solo superman film and I kinda of wish Man of Steel 2(?) was coming prior to Justice League.

A nice key moment for me was the juxtaposition between the two scenes with the Trinty together. We have the shot of them from the trailer with Wonder Woman in the middle is pretty iconic for me.
However the final scene of them together is Bruce and Diana standing on the sides of a dead Superman with them and Lois mourning over his body It gave me some Infinite Crisis feels for some reason.

Ross61

I just hope DC/Warner gets over this roadbump and we finally have a stream of consistently good films from here on out.

I just hope he does better in the action scenes.

I disliked every one of them in BvS. Especially the big showdown they were hyping up but I knew it when it was revealed why they were fighting.

KonradLaw

I just hope he does better in the action scenes.

I disliked every one of them in BvS. Especially the big showdown they were hyping up but I knew it when it was revealed why they were fighting.

Really? I think as far as superhero movies go this had easily the best action yet. The Batman's assault on the warehouse was just sheer and utter brilliance, and Batman vs Supes as well as Supes/Wondy vs Doomsday were the best scenes of this type I've ever seen (so..hero vs hero and heroes vs one big bad).
The only other contender for action in superhero movie is Deadpool. Everything else sucks.

BTM

Really? I think as far as superhero movies go this had easily the best action yet. The Batman's assault on the warehouse was just sheer and utter brilliance, and Batman vs Supes as well as Supes/Wondy vs Doomsday were the best scenes of this type I've ever seen (so..hero vs hero and heroes vs one big bad).
The only other contender for action in superhero movie is Deadpool. Everything else sucks.

Yea, I really loved the Doomsday showdown

It all just felt pointless or rather I didn't care because the movie didn't let me care with its poor build up.
It was disappointing that the tumblars chase in Begins and TDK were miles better then the bat mobile in BvS. It's just my opinion tho

Except the Batman assault near the end. I forgot about that one, that one was pretty good.

Ninjimbo

I'm so glad Snyder gets to stick around. Even if it's on a leash from WB Execs I think the end result will be something unabashedly Snyder and that's really all I want. He gets the visual style down. I can't wait to see what he does with Flash.

KonradLaw

I think at the very least BvS succeeded in setting the groundwork for the whole franchise. It's Batman is just plain incredible and they will be able to sprinkle him as guest star in some other movies. Wondy turned out great too and made me a lot more interested in her solo movie.
Plus Snyder got the tone of the story, as well as visual style down to perfection. I don;t expect every movie to feel like BvS, that wouldn't be good anyway, but it should use some of that. It just felt different from previous superhero movies, with exception of maybe Nolan trilogy. It felt grander and more epic, in Greek epic kind of way.

I mean, compared to Marvel I think nothing shows the difference better than how Avengers and BvS aproached teasing their big future bads. Tanos was quickly shown as a big alien, promising a fun future adventure. Meanwhile Darkseid was teased as some sort of scary evil ancient alien entity coming to eat us allalmost Cthulhu-like. It's not that any of those approaches is better, but they're definitely different and I like that.

Snyder didn't manage to make a great movie out of it, but I hope other directors (and maybe even Snyder with supervision) will take that aproach and manage to realize it's potential.

Ashhong

Has Snyder ever produced a movie without directing? We can all agree he's got great ideas and style, i wonder how he will do in the future from just a collab position

Ross61

Have we talked about the possibility that Warner Bros. won't replace Zack because they're no one to immediately replace him with. Like, its a possibility that WB tried to reach out with what some may feel are better directors, but they refused.

When we were moving toward Justice League and introducing all of these superheroes in the same universe, it was really important — especially when you have a Justice League movie and then all of these stand-alone movies in between — to have a timeline, to have a framework of where you’re going from A to B. If we knew where the characters were going, we knew where they could fit in. And we wanted them to feel consistent, because it’s the same universe.

But we also– Zack and I have a very filmmaker-driven company [Cruel and Unusual Films], and we didn’t want to dictate to directors what they could or couldn’t do. So we felt like, if we had an outline, we could then give the directors the latitude to have the tone be different between the films, and to really make the films their own. So you have, like, a David Ayer whose tone is so different in his film Suicide Squad from what Patty’s doing in Wonder Woman. It gives them a lot of freedom, but we’re always communicating with each other if we change what a character’s doing or where they are, so it all makes sense in the world.

Listen, we don’t want them to feel the same, and we didn’t want them to feel that they were made by a committee. The thing about being able to get great directors is giving them a chance to really put their point of view onto a certain film, and that’s what we really wanted, that was very important to us. Because once everything starts feeling the same, then why bother?

I’m also enormously proud to have Wonder Woman have her own stand-alone film, and to have hired Patty Jenkins, who I think is going to be the first female director of a big studio tentpole action film like this

David Ayer’s Suicide Squad has such an amazing, brash tone. It’s fun and it’s about the villains, and it’s super-different than Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman, which is an origin story and tells her story. As you can imagine, when we get to the Flash movie, Ezra Miller and Ray Fisher — who plays Cyborg — are kind of our youngest characters, and they have a really nice comradery with each other. Ezra is super funny, so the tone of that film will be very different than the rest of them.

Excerpts from an interview with Deborah Snyder who is also heavily involved with the DCU. I feel it helps get some sense as to how the chain of command works. A lot more at the link though.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug...man-flash-wonder-woman-and-more/#6a7ddf7c6aa9

Yager

Banned
Are they making 'Flash and Cyborg BFF' instead of 'Flash and Hal BFF'? I guess that considering there's a GLC movie on the way it makes kinda sense...mmmmm, I don't know how to put this into words. Maybe a big loud FUCK does the job.

It all just felt pointless or rather I didn't care because the movie didn't let me care with its poor build up.
It was disappointing that the tumblars chase in Begins and TDK were miles better then the bat mobile in BvS. It's just my opinion tho

Except the Batman assault near the end. I forgot about that one, that one was pretty good.

an action scene can be great whether you think it has a point to it or not. Avengers showdown in NYC put me to sleep but it was a great technical and thematic spectacle, it was very well done.

Have we talked about the possibility that Warner Bros. won't replace Zack because they're no one to immediately replace him with. Like, its a possibility that WB tried to reach out with what some may feel are better directors, but they refused.

no. I don't think there is any director that would take the offer of taking a large project like this a week into filming.

Are they making 'Flash and Cyborg BFF' instead of 'Flash and Hal BFF'? I guess that considering there's a GLC movie on the way it makes kinda sense...mmmmm, I don't know how to put this into words. Maybe a big loud FUCK does the job.

maybe this Hal will be grey hair temples Hal. if so, I approve.

KonradLaw

Lol..it's sad, because they have the very best buddies in superhero comics
tumblr_melhwgwU6Z1qg4fgs.jpg

Just make a buddy cop-like movie with those two and you're golden.

Ross61

At some point we're going to have to talk about how DC dug themselves into a hole with the whole "Batman and Superman don't and won't kill" thing.

I'm guessing Hal's best bud will be John. Seems like Shazam is left out in the cold unless they make it a trinity of fun between Flash & Cyborg. I want to see their shenanigans while Batman & WW just give them the stare.

SJRB

Gold Member
At some point we're going to have to talk about how DC dug themselves into a hole with the whole "Batman and Superman don't and won't kill" thing.

The whole "no killing" thing is such a non-issue. I watched Dark Knight Returns just last night, Superman acts as the US president's lapdog and kills at least 1000 people just because they were Soviets, no questions asked. On the other hand they show Batman going out of his way not to kill people, but he doesn't save a thug dropping a handgrenade either. You play with fire, you risk getting burned.

It all depends on the context and which universal canon you feel is suitable as a theme. In the DC movie universe, Batman kills people when push comes to shove. I'm totally okay with this. He still goes out of his way not to, though. He could've fucking massacred those thugs in the warehouse, yet he went in and took almost all of them down with hand to hand combat. Batman killed people in Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Dark Knight Rises and BvS is no exception.

Bleepey

The whole "no killing" thing is such a non-issue. I watched Dark Knight Returns just last night, Superman acts as the US president's lapdog and kills at least 1000 people just because they were Soviets, no questions asked. On the other hand they show Batman going out of his way not to kill people, but he doesn't save a thug dropping a handgrenade either. You play with fire, you risk getting burned.

It all depends on the context and which universal canon you feel is suitable as a theme. In the DC movie universe, Batman kills people when push comes to shove. I'm totally okay with this. He still goes out of his way not to, though. He could've fucking massacred those thugs in the warehouse, yet he went in and took almost all of them down with hand to hand combat. Batman killed people in Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Dark Knight Rises and BvS is no exception.

People take the Arkham games too seriously, he only knocked them out and there was an electrical field that ensured when you run people over it only stuns them. Honesty!

shingi70

Banned
Synder was never getting killed off JL and it is what it is tbh. I'm just hoping someone tells him he's making a film that childern go to see. There were a few kids in my viewing last night that were pretty nerved when I looked around. I mean Batman was pretty Sadistic in this movie, and some of the action felt too weighty at times.

It's intresting after seeing it i had a full 30 minutes of geeking out over how awesome it was, then followed by 30 minutes of it could have been done better.

Cheebo

Banned
BvS fell under expectations again yesterday, took another big hit. On track for a roughly 60% drop this weekend. This thing might only limp to 800 mil at this rate.

SJRB

Gold Member
People take the Arkham games too seriously, he only knocked them out and there was an electrical field that ensured when you run people over it only stuns them. Honesty!

I'm a huge fan of the Arkham games and I'm actually replaying Arkham Knight right now, but the only reason Batman doesn't kill anyone in any of those games is because the videogame logic dictates that the thugs are only rendered uncontious after a confrontation.

Batman breaks this guy's leg, arm and then punches him into a coma, but look he's not dead so hooray for no-killing Batman! What's that, Batman sprays explosive gel powerful enough to blast through concrete walls on this guy's face and detonates? No problem, he's just KO'd, he'll be fine.

Most of them are better off dead, I tell you.

Raptor

Im starting to believe BvS problems were that it was too much time in post, like if the movie was perfect after filming and editing but then a full year still on post they went and fucked it up with more edits and shit, maybe some reshots and stuff.

Just imagine if TFA had the same editing problems, movie would have looked and felt amateur as fuck but it has this kinetic pace that never lets go and forms a cohesive if yet safe boring ass shit that still worked to form a understandable movie.

The nightmare sequence should have happened before Bruce woke up in the lake house, that way it would make sense it was a dream, after he woke up he could have gone to the outside or whatever and right there the flash should have appeared surprising bruce that way we know some portal time travel shit is happening, JL stuff should have been something it happens at the end, remember the teaser of Joker in BB? just the card and with that the hype went to the fucking roof, not after credits, just a talk between WW and Bruce checking some footage then fade to black the end.

Like I say, editing means the world if you want to introduce and cram as much shit as possible in a film.

Oh well I still love Snyder and Im glad he is doing JL and I love BvS a lot either way I just wish it would have been edited better.

witness

BvS fell under expectations again yesterday, took another big hit. On track for a roughly 60% drop this weekend. This thing might only limp to 800 mil at this rate.

Congratulations Snyder! You made the first movie with Superman, Batman, and WW together on screen and the general audience couldn't like it less. That's a hell of a job.

Firemind

JL stuff should have been something it happens at the end, remember the teaser of Joker in BB? just the card and with that the hype went to the fucking roof, not after credits, just a talk between WW and Bruce checking some footage then fade to black the end.
I don't agree at all. It would have cheapened
Superman's death.

shingi70

Banned
I don't agree at all. It would have cheapened
Superman's death.

It really wouldn't have. In fact it would
have reinforced Superman's legacy by showing more then Lip service to those who follow in his footsteps. Plus the fact that Superman will most likely be back in Justice League is cheap enough.

Raptor

have reinforced Superman's legacy by showing more then Lip service to those who follow in his footsteps. Plus the fact that Superman will most likely be back in Justice League is cheap enough.

This is my thought yes.

Firemind

You don't think transitioning from
everyone mourning over Clark/Superman to Bruce/Diana checking random computer files would have been jarring? It should have ended with Clark's funeral. Ignoring the execution of his death, I don't know how anyone can say otherwise.

IconGrist

My daughter has been begging me for a couple of days to see BvS again so we're going to see it here in a couple of hours. Wonder how empty the theater will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom