• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
I hope there is some sort of connective scene included between him being in the arctic and suddenly being available to catch Lois midfall. That to me is the biggest 'wtf?' of the whole movie.
The scene Snyder talked about where Clark hears the voices when he is looking for Martha sounds like it takes place in between those two scenes, so if it's in the Ultimate Cut it will make a much better transition.

Effect

That the 3 hour cut is essentially getting pushed as the movie is interesting.

I liked the movie but I definitely saw where a little fleshing out could help.

I'm almost 100% sure that Luthor is gonna be the biggest beneficiary.

I think it's been said by a few places that the 3 hour cut was the version of the film that was getting the positive reactions we were hearing about for a few months leading up to the release. Even Snyder mentions I believe that the edits for time happen fairly recently before the film came out. Like two or three months earlier I think they said.

I know people ask why did Snyder make a 3 hour film. I can only assume he got the okay once the script was finished or while they were filming. Then WB got worried and wanted it cut down.

If the blu-ray is better received I wonder what happens. There will have to be talk about how things might have been different had they went with the longer cut and took the hit on screens. What's better in the end? Better reviews and less money up front or more screenings and the film being hit for the edits that potentially hurt the film?

IconGrist

The scene Snyder talked about where Clark hears the voices when he is looking for Martha sounds like it takes place in between those two scenes, so if it's in the Ultimate Cut it will make a much better transition.

Nah, he didn't even know Martha had been taken yet so it seems unlikely that's where it fits in. There has to be something though. When Clark is in the Arctic he has slight facial growth and is totally cleaned up when he catches Lois. Unless he stopped to shave on his way to catching her he had to have already been back. I think it will have something to do with Batman. Bruce was just standing there a really long time before Superman showed up. I think something was cut from there.

Dead

well not really...yet
Nah, he didn't even know Martha had been taken yet so it seems unlikely that's where it fits in. There has to be something though. When Clark is in the Arctic he has slight facial growth and is totally cleaned up when he catches Lois. Unless he stopped to shave on his way to catching her he had to have already been back. I think it will have something to do with Batman. Bruce was just standing there a really long time before Superman showed up. I think something was cut from there.
From Snyder's description, I think the scene is Clark in Smallville looking for his mom after he returns, and then gets worried when he can't find her --> hearing all the voices ----> realizing Lois is in danger

Either way I feel there is definitely something missing in between those scenes though.

IconGrist

From Snyder's description, I think the scene is Clark in Smallville looking for his mom after he returns, and then gets worried when he can't find her --> hearing all the voices ----> realizing Lois is in danger

Either way I feel there is definitely something missing in between those scenes though.

Oh ok, yea that makes sense then. I thought he meant before heading to Batman he listens for Martha.

Effect

Depending on how that scene goes he could have gone home to Smallville, cleaned up there and wait for her to get home but when she doesn't show up he gets worried and started listening for her then picks up on Lois. The scream from her falling might not be what he hears from her but perhaps when she's in the airport. That could bring him back to Metropolis and then we have the scene that's in the film.

Really curious as to how that plays out.

I'm also curious if scenes are placed in different locations as well. I would imagine some things had to have been moved around while they were editing things down.

IconGrist

Depending on how that scene goes he could have gone home to Smallville, cleaned up there and wait for her to get home but when she doesn't show up he gets worried and started listening for her then picks up on Lois. The scream from her falling might not be what he hears from her but perhaps when she's in the airport. That could bring him back to Metropolis and then we have the scene that's in the film.

Really curious as to how that plays out.

I'm also curious if scenes are placed in different locations as well. I would imagine some things had to have been moved around while they were editing things down.

The only scene I want completely moved rather than extended for better flow is Batman meeting Lex at the prison. The way it is currently placed takes away from the situation. It needed to happen before the funeral scene. The audience would have understood what Bruce was talking about just fine.

Firemind

Look at the highway fight from Winter Solider. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8VGH5xV4Y Still a very tense and good action scene but it's not overly dark.
That doesn't even touch the highway scene from Matrix Reloaded. And will somebody please kill Black Widow? That she has plot armour while going completely YOLO on aliens and superheroes just because she's the only female member of the Avengers defies all belief. And the minigun guy who shoots at Cap's shield while he moves forward? That's dumb.

Effect

That doesn't even touch the highway scene from Matrix Reloaded. And will somebody please kill Black Widow? That she has plot armour while going completely YOLO on aliens and superheroes just because she's the only female member of the Avengers defies all belief. And the minigun guy who shoots at Cap's shield while he moves forward? That's dumb.

Not even fair to compare chase scenes to that. That was insane from start to finsh. Especially since it so quickly followed the awesome chateau fight with Neo. Both fights still hold up very well. Not the Neo vs Smiths fight toward the middle though.

Not even fair to compare chase scenes to that. That was insane from start to finsh. Especially since it so quickly followed the awesome chateau fight with Neo. Both fights still hold up very well. Not the Neo vs Smiths fight toward the middle though.

Forreal. That's one of the best chases on film. No comic book movie compares

And fwiw for all the shit Nolan gets for his action filmmaking his tumblr and bike chase in begins/tdk >>>>>> snyder's batmobile scene

That just felt so incoherent imo. Couldn't see shit

Forreal. That's one of the best chases on film. No comic book movie compares

And fwiw for all the shit Nolan gets for his action filmmaking his tumblr and bike chase in begins/tdk >>>>>> snyder's batmobile scene

That just felt so incoherent imo. Couldn't see shit

I agree. Bummed me out because in theory the scene is cool.
Watch the batmobile smashing through walls and surviving explosions, only for Superman to wreck it in a single kick.

jackdoe

That sounds like some extreme nitpicking for a pretty fun scene.

Also was browsing online and found what is apparently Goyers draft of the script (before Terrio):

http://news.comicui.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/the_worlds_finest.pdf

is this legit or has it been debunked before?

Just finished reading through this and I actually really liked it. :0 kind of wish we got this instead.

Debunked long ago. That was a fan-made fake that got traction first because people thought it was real, then thought it was a plant commissioned by Warner Bros.

You know, its sucks that we're taking every rumor as fact.

It's been like that forever.

Kibbles

So the MTV Movie Awards are filmed today and shown tomorrow, and WB Mexico says it's a trailer (MTV has been saying 'clip') - https://twitter.com/wbpictures_mx/status/718906398726234115 - Or maybe they'll be releasing a trailer online immediately after a clip is shown

I wonder if it'll leak from an audience cam?

"The crowd went crazy when Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Cara Delevingne and Jared Leto of "Suicide Squad" assembled to introduce never-before-seen clips from the film. Fans almost toppled the barricades holding them back. The actors, who were not in character, hugged each other on stage. DJ Khaled's "All I do is win" played and the four of them started dancing. They even got the crowd involved during the song's chorus. "Sweat, blood and semen ... it's all in this movie," Leto told the crowd. Yikes!" - http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-mn-2016-mtv-movie-a-1460258834-htmlstory.html

tumblr_o5ejyxBae71shxv8yo1_400.png

CfqHkwZVAAAUT1c.jpg

7SCFF4X.jpg

Ross61

Damn, CW reactions have just turned to BVS and Zack Snyder shitfest. I knew this was going to be expected but damn. I just now feel sorry for him.

VanWinkle

I just hope JL is not so dark and gloomy. I don't think anybody is asking for a movie with constant quips and jokes. Just more lighthearted, with a more traditional Superman.

Kibbles

they've never been live. the whole thing is a major promotional tool. but if we get cool shit out of it, I can deal. They did the same for TDKR and I was jazzed.

Nah, I remember when MTV censors couldn't keep up with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg cursing like mad when they were hosting. Tons of F bombs dropping on live TV. Maybe that's why they aren't live anymore lol

IconGrist

So it's been a little over 8 hours since I came back from BvS and wanted to get these random thoughts out.

- Beautiful Lie has replaced Is She With You as my favorite track. Been stuck in my head since I got home.
- I think the movie up until Lex kidnaps Lois and Martha is excellent. Couple of missteps but nothing more severe than anything in just about every movie. Everything from Lois being thrown off the building onward brought the movie down a lot. It went back to your basic comic book movie shenanigans.
- A little boy as I was walking out was telling his friends he was glad Superman was dead.
- Showing the dirt rising up was a huge mistake. Killing Supes was a ballsy choice but then that decision gets taken back less than 15 minutes later.
- The way Batman picks up Superman after hitting him with the sink was so goddamn stupid.
- It's not blatantly said why Lois goes back for the spear but the look on her face was enough for me. Ship was going nutso and now there's a big monster blasting shit with fire coming out of his face. Pretty obvious it's kryptonian and the spear would be useful. I know a lot of people took issue with that whole bit but it didn't seem odd to me. She got rid of it when she thought the only kryptonian was Clark and then realized it was needed when Doomsday showed up.
- Superman never came off as emo. That's such a dumb term used to describe anything that isn't happy-go-lucky.
- The plot of the movie is very hard to pinpoint. Currently I believe it was just "Lex fucks with Batman for 2 hours and Superman gets caught in the crossfire".
- The inclusion of Batman was very forced. He was little more than a tool for Lex rather than his own character. Everything he did was influenced by Lex.

Might post more later.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So it's been a little over 8 hours since I came back from BvS and wanted to get these random thoughts out.

- Beautiful Lie has replaced Is She With You as my favorite track. Been stuck in my head since I got home.
- I think the movie up until Lex kidnaps Lois and Martha is excellent. Couple of missteps but nothing more severe than anything in just about every movie. Everything from Lois being thrown off the building onward brought the movie down a lot. It went back to your basic comic book movie shenanigans.
- A little boy as I was walking out was telling his friends he was glad Superman was dead.
- Showing the dirt rising up was a huge mistake. Killing Supes was a ballsy choice but then that decision gets taken back less than 15 minutes later.
- The way Batman picks up Superman after hitting him with the sink was so goddamn stupid.
- It's not blatantly said why Lois goes back for the spear but the look on her face was enough for me. Ship was going nutso and now there's a big monster blasting shit with fire coming out of his face. Pretty obvious it's kryptonian and the spear would be useful. I know a lot of people took issue with that whole bit but it didn't seem odd to me. She got rid of it when she thought the only kryptonian was Clark and then realized it was needed when Doomsday showed up.
- Superman never came off as emo. That's such a dumb term used to describe anything that isn't happy-go-lucky.
- The plot of the movie is very hard to pinpoint. Currently I believe it was just "Lex fucks with Batman for 2 hours and Superman gets caught in the crossfire".
- The inclusion of Batman was very forced. He was little more than a tool for Lex rather than his own character. Everything he did was influenced by Lex.

Might post more later.
I don't know how you can say that. Bruce was obviously angry with Superman right from the battle of Metropolis. No Lex needed there. In fact, I don't even see Lex needing to antagonize Bruce at all in the film. Batman's whole thing is about stopping Superman due to his power. I'm trying to figure out if Bruce knew those letters were from Lex or if he thought they were from the wheelchair guy. He would have no reason to believe they were from Lex as there hadn't been any connection between the two that Bruce knew of by that time.

KonradLaw

So the MTV Movie Awards are filmed today and shown tomorrow, and WB Mexico says it's a trailer (MTV has been saying 'clip') - https://twitter.com/wbpictures_mx/status/718906398726234115 - Or maybe they'll be releasing a trailer online immediately after a clip is shown

I wonder if it'll leak from an audience cam?

"The crowd went crazy when Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Cara Delevingne and Jared Leto of "Suicide Squad" assembled to introduce never-before-seen clips from the film. Fans almost toppled the barricades holding them back. The actors, who were not in character, hugged each other on stage. DJ Khaled's "All I do is win" played and the four of them started dancing. They even got the crowd involved during the song's chorus. "Sweat, blood and semen ... it's all in this movie," Leto told the crowd. Yikes!" - http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-mn-2016-mtv-movie-a-1460258834-htmlstory.html

[
The Suicide Squad crew looks so much happier than BvS one. Always has. Everytime both groups showed on conventions the SS one always seemed so damn happy. Like they had a really great time filming this movie, while BvS seemed much less enthusiastic. I hope this translates to SS being a lot more fun.

Kibbles

I haven't seen any impressions of whatever they showed, I guess they might've not showed the preview at the actual award show and are saving it for the broadcast to fill in, or I'm not looking hard enough.

Gleethor

huh, got around to reading those 4chan leaks and...they sound pretty plausible. A lot of the casting seems like what you would expect from DC right now: nobody earth shattering, but some talented folks nonetheless. Still taking it with a truckload of salt.

huh, got around to reading those 4chan leaks and...they sound pretty plausible. A lot of the casting seems like what you would expect from DC right now: nobody earth shattering, but some talented folks nonetheless. Still taking it with a truckload of salt.

Yeah its not like its THAT left field

Despite the salt, I honestly think half of those will probably turn out to be true

I think I missed something. What is this about?

SJRB

Gold Member
So what are considered the best DC animated movies?

I watched The Dark Knight Returns the other night, and was blown away by how good it was. Watched All Star Superman yesterday, it was okay [I enjoyed Lex Luthor more than anything].

I have a ton of Justice League movies lined up, and I know there are several Superman movies, Batman/Superman and Batman Bad Blood just came out.

I watched The Dark Knight Returns the other night, and was blown away by how good it was. Watched All Star Superman yesterday, it was okay [I enjoyed Lex Luthor more than anything].

I have a ton of Justice League movies lined up, and I know there are several Superman movies, Batman/Superman and Batman Bad Blood just came out.

All Justice League films are good. Batman Year One. Batman Under the Red Hood.

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
Batman: Under The Red Hood
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

are my top 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom