• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Do you guys think DC screwed up, by making a Superman film that parents won't take their kids to see.

yeah, they fucked up. When I went to watch this movie a kid wanted to watch BvS, but the parents were begging him to watch Zootopia instead, probably not the only case. That's a sizeable demographic you left out.

I don't know what they were thinking, If I had a kid I would love to be able to experience this movie with my kid.

Loxley

Do you guys think DC screwed up, by making a Superman film that parents won't take their kids to see.

Absolutely, Superman has an incredible appeal to kids. In fact it's been one of my biggest pet peeves with the way DC has been trying to "edge him up" ever since The Dark Knight Returns. They've frequently been trying to make him cool in the way people think Batman is cool - which was a faulty goal from the start. Especially when you look at the most popular Superman stories from the past 25 years (All Star, Birthright, Secret Identity, etc). Those stories weren't ashamed of Superman being who he is. I think Bobby Roberts made the comment in one of the six trillion BVS threads we've had over the last two weeks - but why every movie studio is so damn afraid of making a superhero film that appeals directly to that Disney/Pixar family audience (like The Incredibles) instead of 18-35 year-old males is kind of baffling.

I know that's your most vocal fanbase, one that hates admitting not every superhero movie needs to be made specifically for them, but still. A solo Superman movie would be perfect for that audience.

Honestly, making a lower budget PG Superman might not be the worst idea in the world. Although managing that rating in live action is tough. PG-13 films nowadays are practically PG with coarse language.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, making a lower budget PG Superman might not be the worst idea in the world. Although managing that rating in live action is tough. PG-13 films nowadays are practically PG with coarse language.

2 hours of Superman saving cats out of trees while smiling. Then at the end we find out it was Batman who put those cats there in the first place, so Supes would feel like he matters.

I don't know about kid's today, but I would have loved it so long as it had enough action, and if we're being honest here, the first half has barely any besides Batman hunting down the kryptonite.

I think I played MK when I was like 8, and I think all of my friends loved that shit.

Yea, I think so.

Annecdotal and all that but none of kids I know that went and watched it enjoyed the movie.

It wasn't like a "I hate it" type attitude but it was largely indifference and that it was boring. Most other super hero media and they would talk about it for sometime but with BvS, it was quickly forgotten.

Effect

Yea, I think so.

Annecdotal and all that but none of kids I know that went and watched it enjoyed the movie.

It wasn't like a "I hate it" type attitude but it was largely indifference and that it was boring. Most other super hero media and they would talk about it for sometime but with BvS, it was quickly forgotten.

The lack of action in the first half of the film is indeed a problem and understandably kids would be bored by that. That can be fix and addressed. If there was another scene with Batman fighting in the beginning I think this might have addressed that. Superman would unfortunately just be saving people and honestly I don't think kids find that entertaining when what they want is action. This is ultimately the big problem with a Superman film. He can't take on regular criminals the way a lot of other heroes can. It's so one sided unless the enemy is strong enough and at that point they're the end boss. Unless you want to just create monsters for him to fight during the length of a film. That brings it's own set of problems.

The Reeves films suffer from this too. Think back on Superman 1 and 2. The action in that film is at the end with both of them. Man of Steel has this problem as well until the Smallville fight. Superman Returns has this problem during the entire film. There are great action sequences where he saves the plane and the roof top on the bank but that's not the type of action one would really expect to see or want to see in a superhero film. Maybe the plane scene is. I still love that scene regardless of how I feel about the rest of the film. That was great.

I like Henry Cavill a lot, and I hope his doesn't end up with the same fate as Brandon Routh. Playing some D-tier superhero on a CW show five years down the line. I know he loves Superman, but he's gotta get some other great roles, just in case DCEU doesn't work out.

Ashhong

For what it's worth: not only the 3hr Ultimate Cut is gonna be included with all the Blu-ray releases of the film, but also this cut, and not the theatrical cut, will be the version released on 4K Blu-ray.

Wait what? What is this cut if not the theatrical cut?

jmood88

I like Henry Cavill a lot, and I hope his doesn't end up with the same fate as Brandon Routh. Playing some D-tier superhero on a CW show five years down the line. I know he loves Superman, but he's gotta get some other great roles, just in case DCEU doesn't work out.
I feel really bad for Brandon Routh.

Dudes pretty entertaining. Surely it wasn't just superman returns that fucked him tho. That's one comic book movie

Plenty of actors have been in far worse movies and much bigger flops and still have a pretty fruitful career

Routh either has no hustle or a trash agent or both

jackdoe

Absolutely! They're just making Marvel the default family superhero brand. That is Superman's bread and butter and they are ignoring that audience.
Shit, Batman v Superman had a surprisingly graphic shot of
a gigantic hole in Superman's chest.
I was surprised that shot wasn't cut to maintain a PG-13 rating. The Dark Knight skirted by it by having bloodless violence and stuff happening off screen.

Shit, Batman v Superman had a surprisingly graphic shot of
a gigantic hole in Superman's chest.
I was surprised that shot wasn't cut to maintain a PG-13 rating. The Dark Knight skirted by it by having bloodless violence and stuff happening off screen.

Well, it's not like it mattered in the end.

Regarding that reddit post in regards to Superman.
Isn't there an issue after Superman dies fighting Doomsday in the comics where Superman/Clark shown fighting to free his soul or something like that. It might actually be his father doing it or dreaming it. I think it was an issue of Superman or Adventures of Superman. I wonder if that rumor in the reddit thread about Superman encountering Darkseid on the astral plane is a call back to that part of the story. I think there is some debate if that actually really happen in the comics though. They're clearly mining the Death and Return of Superman story so it would be a possible plot to pull and expand on.

Assuming any of that is true. One can easily look at what they've done and then reason out possible ways forward based on the material they're looking at.

That was adventures of superman #500, last chapter of funeral for a friend. Jonathan Kent has a heart attack and sees clarks spirit in what he thinks is heaven but is actually an elaborate trap by satanus. In the end both Clark and Jonathan make it back to the other side and superman is brought back to life. Although at wasn't the only factor that brought him back to life. The eradicator healing his body helped too.

As a parent of a young boy, yes absolutely they did. MY son is 5 and would love to watch Superman on the big screen.

Serious question but what is it about he movie that is inappropriate for a five year led to see?

Boke1879

Kinda OT. But a lot of people I know who didn't care about seeing BvS or indifferent about it are hyped as hell for Suicide Squad for some reason. These are people are aren't even into DC either and maybe outside of Joker and MAYBE Harley have no idea who these characters are.

Ninjimbo

Kinda OT. But a lot of people I know who didn't care about seeing BvS or indifferent about it are hyped as hell for Suicide Squad for some reason. These are people are aren't even into DC either and maybe outside of Joker and MAYBE Harley have no idea who these characters are.
I know some people who are like that too. It's probably that Joker appeal. I'll never understand that character's appeal. I mean, I like the Joker too but I don't know what draws me to the character. It's weird lol.

Boke1879

I know some people who are like that too. It's probably that Joker appeal. I'll never understand that character's appeal. I mean, I like the Joker too but I don't know what draws me to the character. It's weird lol.

I think it's the charisma of the character. That said if SS reviews well I see it playing well with audiences. It has people at least curiously excited.

Squad looks like something really, really different from the usual comic book/blockbuster fare, I get the hype even if you're not generally into DC or didn't care for BvS.

making a thread on Amy Adams being too old to play Lois Lane is trolling and it's a damn shame that it's being allowed. nothing about that is legitimate discussion. nothing.

Boke1879

Squad looks like something really, really different from the usual comic book/blockbuster fare, I get the hype even if you're not generally into DC or didn't care for BvS.

And yet it still does have that end of summer blockbuster thing going for it. Will Smith is still a name people notice and of course it has the Joker. It'll be a dark comedy, and I'm hoping this is a fun romp.

Side note. If BvS has to be the sacrificial lamb to get the proper changes and things in place to make the DCU a critical as well as financial success going forward then so be it. While I loved the movie it's clear you need critical backing as well. Also for fans not to be as divided.

This was said pages back, but Marvel movies always have that fallback of being "fun" and being enough of a lighthearted movie. Not saying I want DC to go completely that route, but the ensemble movies have to convey that. The solo movies can be as dark or lighthearted depending on the material.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Went to Emerald City Comic Con today and ummm yeah, Squad Harley is gonna be HUUUUGE. I think I saw no less than 20 girls dressed up as her with 3 or 4 of them making my jaw drop to the floor. Saw one Leto Joker too. No Rope Guy though :(

Went to Emerald City Comic Con today and ummm yeah, Squad Harley is gonna be HUUUUGE. I think I saw no less than 20 girls dressed up as her with 3 or 4 of them making my jaw drop to the floor. Saw one Leto Joker too. No Rope Guy though :(

Don't worry man, Rope Guy will get his due. Save the day and get the girl. Gonna be the most popular costume at cons for yeaaaars

He's gonna get tricked by Boomer into doing something that prompts Waller to push his button in like the first act.

Boke1879

Dude Harley finally making her big appearance on the big screen. Her outfit is easy cosplay material. Margot will most likely knock the role out of the park. She's about to be huge this year.

Bleepey

I was in a shop and I heard some very middle class girls talking about Suicide Squad and Harley Quinn. I have seen at least 10 SS Harleys on tinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom