• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
amy adams one is the WOAT BvS thread, good thing it backfired though. she's gorgeous, and why not let an older woman be the love interest. she looks younger than cavill tbh

It's such a ridiculous complaint. Even if we set aside that it's flatly misogynistic to be objecting to a woman playing a love interest solely because she's older than the guy, she doesn't look a day older than him. It's so so dumb.

ReiGun

The Neogaf hate train has landed firmly in Nitpick Station. Now comes the time where people think every stupid little issue they have is worth talking about.

Glad the Amy Adams thread is at least crashing and burning.

Edit: Salt N' Pepa just appeared on the MTV Awards. I am placated.

My sister Dream casting for Lex was The Rock because he looks like the one in the animated series. That's the only reason, well also because Lex doesn't need much range in acting.

Boke1879

really hope they fast track Shazam, I'm glad to hear his enthusiasm.

No doubt. He's definitely still on even though the he signed a contract which seemed ages ago. Rock definitely has pull.

And I didn't take his "shot" to be against BvS. He's not wrong. Marvel has had so many successes. DC. Not so much.

My sister Dream casting for Lex was The Rock because he looks like the one in the animated series. That's the only reason, well also because Lex doesn't need much range in acting.

Slightly weird segue, I think this is why comics-GAF is generally more positive on BvS than most. It's not about knowing the comics, it's about being familiar with the idea that there's always a different interpretation. For people that only know the DCAU, or any one version, there's a certain... rigidness.

Of course, there's other things to take issue with in regards to the movie, even if you're more comfortable with different and strange interpretations of the character that doesn't mean you'll like them, even if they ARE well executed on. Which they weren't, necessarily.

ReiGun

Slightly weird segue, I think this is why comics-GAF is generally more positive on BvS than most. It's not about knowing the comics, it's about being familiar with the idea that there's always a different interpretation. For people that only know the DCAU, or any one version, there's a certain... rigidness.

Of course, there's other things to take issue with in regards to the movie, even if you're more comfortable with different and strange interpretations of the character that doesn't mean you'll like them, even if they ARE well executed on. Which they weren't, necessarily.

Truth is, comic book characters are held to insane narrative standards when it comes to film adaptations. Even when compared to other literary characters. Film makers somehow have to "stay true" to characters who change all the time. Fans expect casting based entirely on who looks like cartoon characters. And this cinematic universe shit? Apparently, these relatively shallow characters need a solid five to seven films worth of buildup before they can be in a movie together because otherwise, the poor casual viewers will cry from frustration.

It's fucking crazy, and only gets worse for characters like Superman and Batman.

Effect

Truth is, comic book characters are held to insane narrative standards when it comes to film adaptations. Even when compared to other literary characters. Film makers somehow have to "stay true" to characters who change all the time. Fans expect casting based entirely on who looks like cartoon characters. And this cinematic universe shit? Apparently, these relatively shallow characters need a solid five to seven films worth of buildup before they can be in a movie together because otherwise, the poor casual viewers will cry from frustration.

It's fucking crazy, and only gets worse for characters like Superman and Batman.

It drives me up the wall. Two of the characters that have actually had the most number of interpretations in live action as well. If there are any two characters where people should be used to different versions of characters from film to film or series to series it's them. Yet some people act like they've never been exposed to this in all the years they've been alive. It gets worse when you factor in animation.

ryan299

BvS will have a multiplier of 1.95-2.05. That will be the second worse for a comic book movie. The worst is Watchman. Keeping Snyder is a bad move.

Snyder's movies definitely has some troubling patterns: most of them have very high second weekend drops like BvS (69%), Suckerpunch(68%), Watchmen (68%), MoS (65%).

To compare, here are the fist weekend drops of similar movies, some of which also were not very well received: Ant Man (57%), Avengers (50%), Age of Ultron (59%), Dark Knight (52%), Dark Knight Rises (61%), Deadpool (57%), Thor 2 (57%), and Iron Man 3 (58%).

Recent comic book movies with high multipliers include Deadpool (2.65 and counting), Ant Man (3.14), Dark Knight (3.38), Guardians of the Galaxy (3.53), and Batman Begins (4.24).

In contrast, the lowest comic book multipliers are, in order, X-Men Origins (2.11), 2003 Hulk (2.12), 2015 Fantastic Four (2.18), Green Lantern (2.19), Hellboy 2 (2.2), Amazing Spider Man 2 (2.21), and Spider Man 3 (2.22). The common thread in all of these movies is that each of these movies either killed the franchise and/or had to be rebooted with an entirely different cast. In fact, the lowest multiplier for a movie that had a direct sequel is Kick Ass (2.42). Note that Iron Man 3 (2.34) and Age of Ultron (2.40) have lower multipliers and are likely to have a sequel.

So where does BvS stack up? If projects hold up, it will end up with a total gross of between $325 and $340. That would between 1.95 and 2.05. BvS would have to gross $350 million to beat the multiplier of the movies with the 2nd lowest multiplier, X-Men Origins (2.11), which looks like it will now be impossible. It is important to note that BvS has come in on the lowest end of expectations on every metric (e.g., hold percentages, daily grosses, weekday grosses, etc.). However, even at the lowest projected number, it looks like BvS is likely to beat the movie with the lowest multiplier, which is Watchmen at 1.95.

More info here

Chart of other films and their numbers.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
It's gonna get uploaded as soon as it airs most likely. I'll just wait for the upload.

Boke1879

BvS will have a multiplier of 1.95-2.05. That will be the second worse for a comic book movie. The worst is Watchman. Keeping Snyder is a bad move.

More info here

Chart of other films and their numbers.

What's done is done. The movie should have made more money but it didn't. He's not getting let go of JL. it starts shooting tomorrow if not right now. WB will put a tight leash on him as far as this movie goes. They'll monitor how SS and WW does. Which I would hope is very well. Audiences seem excited for those movies. After JL1. I see them moving away from Synder but keeping him on in an advisory sort of role.

Aren't the scenes that he's in going to be flashbacks? If so, that'd make some sense. I'd need to watch it again because he's only in that one shot.

It kind of makes sense in either direction, tbh. He's no longer as bulked up either because he's got the time to do a proper bulk/cut cycle, or because it's before he bulked up in the first case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom