• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Not stricly related, but here's Megan Gale as Wonder Woman from the cancelled Justice League Mortal.

v0ro5Tl.jpg

Yeesh. Gal looks much better in the role (the better costume helps).

Makes you appreciate how right they got the BvS costume.

Speaking of which, with Wonder Woman shooting underway, there's a chance we see another costume for her.

Penguin

Might as well throw this in here, first pic of Wonder Woman from... Wonder Woman

ulGXq4Y.jpg

Principal photography is underway on Warner Bros. Pictures‘ Wonder Woman feature film, the highly-anticipated action adventure from director Patty Jenkins (Monster, AMC’s “The Killing”), starring Gal Gadot (the “Fast & Furious” movies) in the role of Diana Prince/Wonder Woman. The character will make her big screen debut this spring in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, but the new film will mark her first time headlining a feature. With the announcement that filming has started, we received a new Wonder Woman photo which you can view in full below!

The film also stars Chris Pine (the “Star Trek” films) as Captain Steve Trevor, Robin Wright (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Netflix’s “House of Cards”), Danny Huston (Clash of the Titans, X-Men Origins: Wolverine), David Thewlis (the “Harry Potter” films, The Theory of Everything), Ewen Bremner (Exodus: Gods and Kings, Snowpiercer), Saïd Taghmaoui (American Hustle), Elena Anaya (The Skin I Live In) and Lucy Davis (Shaun of the Dead).

The film is being produced by Charles Roven, Zack Snyder and Deborah Snyder, with Richard Suckle, Stephen Jones, Wesley Coller, Geoff Johns and Rebecca Roven serving as executive producers.

Joining Jenkins behind the camera are director of photography Matthew Jensen (Chronicle, Fantastic Four, HBO’s “Game of Thrones”), Oscar-nominated production designer Aline Bonetto (Amélie, A Very Long Engagement, Pan), and Oscar-winning editor Martin Walsh (Chicago, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, V for Vendetta), and Oscar-winning costume designer Lindy Hemming (The Dark Knight trilogy, Topsy-Turvy).

Principal photography will take place on location in the UK, France and Italy.

Set to open in 2017, the Wonder Woman movie is based on characters created by William Moulton Marston, appearing in comic books published by DC Entertainment. It will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

CUVIwi6WUAE9K1L.jpg:large

Tabby

I found this thing. Probably bs but this says the shoot date is in June 2016 which conflicts with January 2016 like we've heard previously.
The world's greatest heroes are assembled to form the Justice League, to combat a threat beyond each individual's capabilities. The story involves Darkseid planning the destruction of Earth by blasting it with a ray that’ll move Apokolips into the Earth’s place.

david thewlis is great. really disappointed with their choices for circe, hippolyta and presumably ares but i'm glad thewlis is in at least. plus chris pine will be a dope steve trevor.

Penguin

Black Canary to appear in JL 1/2 to set up possible Birds of Prey movie?

http://www.latino-review.com/news/hot-rumor-alona-tal-abbey-lee-being-eyed-for-black-canary

Right now, Black Canary is being eyed to make her debut in Justice League Part 1 or Justice League Part 2, both to be directed by Zach Snyder for release in 2017 and 2019, respectively. That means casting is heating up for the role.

The character is blonde in the comic books, so it fits that the current frontrunners for the role are blondes Abbey Lee (Mad Max: Fury Road) and Alona Tal (Burn Notice, Supernatural)

Since Warner Bros likes movies with teams of super heroes, the Black Canary plans don't end with her appearance in Justice League. If the character and actress perform to expectation, Black Canary will also be involved with an in-development Birds of Prey movie.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Birds of Prey movie sounds like an awesome idea. Having an all-woman team would be a cool change of pace.

Here's just hoping it's better than... well...

Birds_of_Prey_(cast).jpg

DaveH

If the BOP idea is true, it implies that BvS will move the ball enough where JL1 isn't just the Big Seven (ish) but on it's way to a more unlimited-like team. That squares with rumors that Mera will be appearing before Aquaman as well.

Which, if true, is important because Wonder Woman shouldn't be made to carry all womankind on her back. If you know other female heroes (Suicide Squad protagonists notwithstanding) are coming down the line soon, Wonder Woman doesn't have to be the end-all be-all super-heroine experience (which is at least part of the MOS backlash, where people expected a fully-formed complete Superman experience, rather than a Begins-styled story).

The League is already pretty diverse, but adding more female heroes can only help (as long as the main story doesn't get diluted).

DaveH

snip Wonder Woman press release...
I'm a little disappointed Jenkins isn't listed as having a writing credit on this (yet)... that would go a long way towards reducing anxieties about a Frankenstein script or Joe Wright post-Pan skepticism. Making no comments about the writers is a bit scary.

Just another random note... this is the first official DC film press release we've gotten in a while (the last one was the June announcement of James Wan for Aquaman) and since then we've had tid bits from the brain trust like Roven's interview, Snyder at the Walk of Fame, etc. and, to my knowledge, not once has "DCEU" been used in an official capacity yet.

Not that they have to, but if they're going to brand the thing it needs to start eventually. Just for comparison's sake, the press release for Civil War's commencement has no less than 17 mentions of "Marvel"... Wonder Woman's release mentions DC once as an ancillary footnote. I almost wonder if they don't want you to think of it as a DC product.

Penguin

Affleck on BvS

“I think there is a ton of pressure on it,” Affleck said of the film, in which he plays Batman. “I mean I would be bulls—ting you to say there isn’t.”

“You’ll see next year they are going to have a great year,” Affleck said. “They are now developing … probably the single greatest under-exploited IP asset in the entertainment business, the DC comic world. And now they have started to exploit that and you are going to see that blossom. And, when it does, it’s going to be massive.”

“I was really impressed by that and by the intelligence of his notes, and the fact that he cared,” said Affleck. “It was not like some guys, especially at that level, where it would be, ‘We need a franchise movie … we just need a movie with the names ‘Batman’ and ‘Superman’ on it and it doesn’t matter what it is. For him, that wasn’t it. He was willing to take longer to make the movie to get it right to make it a movie of higher quality.”

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/batman-v-superman-ben-affleck-dc-spinoffs-1201647796/

I usually don't buy too much into the crew saying positive stuff, but I really think if Affleck went into the project and it was just a cash grab, he would have exited a while back. He doesn't want another daredevil, not after he's done so well piecing together his career from the early 2000's.

From WB's point of view, this is their big tentpole franchise going forward. They've looked for replacements for Harry Potter & LOTR the last decade, where as Super hero films had always been profitable in the past but not a tent pole movie. I think Nolan's Batman and Avengers caused them to reevaluate where DC movies stand.

Anyway, we're inching ever so closer now, feels like it wasn't so long ago when they released the SDCC trailer, now we're a little over 4 months away from the movie. I just wish that Justice League cartoon was scheduled for sooner. At least we've been fortunate that Flash & Arrow have been entertaining so far, and LoT looks promising.

DaveH

Variety's cover feature on Tsujihara has a few DC related items:

He’s bucking tradition in the way Warners manages its operations and exploits key intellectual property assets, like those from its DC Entertainment division. He has chosen to keep significant power in his own hands on the film side, getting into the weeds and retaining greenlight control, a drastic departure from how Meyer had delegated that authority to movie chief Alan Horn.
This syncs with the Affleck report on how he's providing notes and involved in, but not hindering, the film making process. Later in the article, "Over a dinner in England and a subsequent phone call, the CEO-in-waiting persuaded Rowling to create a spinoff to the Harry Potter films. The famously reclusive writer calls Tsujihara the one who made the upcoming “Fantastic Beasts” series happen. Two sequels are expected to follow."

On Tsujihara’s watch, studio veterans say there’s been greater communication among WB’s film, TV, DC Entertainment, home entertainment and consumer
products divisions. There’s much more interaction with Time Warner siblings HBO and Turner Broadcasting. And, to the delight of many on the lot, the film division no longer calls the shots on the management of the character-rich DC Entertainment vault.
This just confirms what we already knew, film isn't running character embargoes on DC characters (confirmed by "many on the lot"). That doesn't mean there can't be embargoes, but it's no longer the case that film's whims are absolute and games and TV have to stand down if film is even thinking about using a character.

Another crucial opportunity is DC Entertainment. While Disney has been minting millions from the riches of its Marvel universe, analysts have been waiting for years for DC to demonstrate similar punch for Warner Bros. Meeting with investors a year ago, Tsujihara said that, in consumer products alone, DC lagged billions of dollars behind Marvel. If Warners could generate just half of what Marvel does, it could add $150 million to Time Warner’s profits, Tsujihara estimates.
Of course, to be fair, that's AFTER Disney acquired Marvel and relying on Disney's merchandising bandwidth, who is literally second to none in that regard. Prior to the acquisition, the WB was eating Marvel's lunch with respect to merch because it was all in-house. However, there's a lot of room to grow.

Bewkes stands shoulder-to-shoulder with Tsujihara in that regard. “This isn’t a sports league. We’re trying to make money over the long run,” the Time Warner boss says, with a laugh of apparent exasperation at the question. “Whether we’re No. 1 or 2 (at the box office), we really don’t care as much as we care about whether we are making good product, and whether we’re reinvigorating our pipeline of really audacious talent.”
This needs to be reiterated because rank is really irrelevant compared to absolute performance. The article points out, repeatedly, that the WB is successful (particularly TV and games) as-is film, even if under-performing.

Again, this syncs with the Affleck report, because if Tsujihara lacked confidence and wasn't steady, he wouldn't have allowed BvS to slip to 2016... he would have taken the profit and praise and run, without regard for the long-term impact of a less-than-stellar film. By not blinking, BvS is going to be a better lead into the rest of the DC slate.

Penguin

This follow-up talks more about the TV stuff

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-cw-warner-bros-dc-the-flash-arrow-1201646970/

That pecking order had been set a decade earlier, in 1999, sources say, when the WB Network (now the CW) was hot on a “Batman” prequel script from writer Tim McCanlies that revolved around the youthful adventures of Bruce Wayne. The project was shut down before it got to the pilot production stage after WB Pictures execs got wind of it, and worried that it would muck up their plans to revive “Batman” on the big screen. The WB Network was allowed to pursue a similar concept for Superman, which yielded the 10-year success of “Smallville,” but the earlier sting lingered.

strafer

Watching the Civil War trailer made me realise that the Russo has talent.

I wonder what DC movie they could direct if they got the chance. Unless they're busy until 2035

Sambrez_

Watching the Civil War trailer made me realise that the Russo has talent.

I wonder what DC movie they could direct if they got the chance. Unless they're busy until 2035

It made the exact opposite for me. Sure they got great choregraphies and maybe a good plot (that, we'll judge when it will be released, it's based on a weak comic for me), but the aesthetic is really bland, rooftops, parking, warehouses... The cinematography is also always the same with the photo flat and grey. And it's a shame, the comics are so graphic, and open to stylism in the movies. BvS seems to embrace that comic and stylism much better.

Tabby

Too "gritty" for a Flash movie, doubt they'd do justice (heh) to Green Lantern.
I'm not sure if they've done anything else other than The Winter Soldier but based on that movie alone, I'd welcome them doing a DC movie but I wouldn't be excited for it. TWS was overrated.

It made the exact opposite for me. Sure they got great choregraphies and maybe a good plot (that, we'll judge when it will be released, it's based on a weak comic for me), but the aesthetic is really bland, rooftops, parking, warehouses... The cinematography is also always the same with the photo flat and grey. And it's a shame, the comics are so graphic, and open to stylism in the movies. BvS seems to embrace that comic and stylism much better.

I had that feeling a bit as well, it fit a bit more grounded. Just about everything looked like a real setting for a martial arts movie. Snyder gets a lot of shit for no color but I thought the civil warl trailer looked mute as well, with less contrast that Snyder uses.

I don't know what DC franchise I'd give to the Russos, definitely something more grounded like a batman franchise.

Too "gritty" for a Flash movie, doubt they'd do justice (heh) to Green Lantern.
I'm not sure if they've done anything else other than The Winter Soldier but based on that movie alone, I'd welcome them doing a DC movie but I wouldn't be excited for it. TWS was overrated.

Actually, I think they would do a great job on Green Lantern. Emphasize the Space Cop aspect, tone down the cape... yeah, there's a great movie there.

Penguin

more on Aquaman, Mera and diversity in the DCEU

On Aquaman's villain

I'm told that
OCEAN MASTER aka Orm Marius/Curry aka Aquaman's half brother
is the villain that's currently being developed to square off with the King of Atlantis in his first solo outing

On my Queen, Mera!

Mera will be a force to be reckoned with and will share the screen with AQUAMAN in very much the same way that Max and Furiosa did in MAD MAX: FURY ROAD, making her every bit a hero of the film (and the DCEU) as the titular character.

I've also heard that the studio is currently looking to cast a "non-white" actress in the role

On diversity and future projects

WB is currently looking at a number of ways to expand on that trend, including a possible BIRDS OF PREY movie (recently reported by Latino Review) that would feature an all-female team of superheroes led by the previously reported Black Canary (lining up to be a major player in the DCEU) as well as Batgirl/Oracle, amongst others. A TEEN TITANS film (possibly merged with the CYBORG film in lieu of a solo pic) is also under consideration, as well as the already announced GREEN LANTERN CORPS, which we're told is Hal Jordan and John Stewart in a "Lethal Weapon in space" team-up.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exc...-aquaman-meras-role-diversity-in-the-dceu-330

Tabby

more on Aquaman, Mera and diversity in the DCEU

On Aquaman's villain

On my Queen, Mera!

On diversity and future projects

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exc...-aquaman-meras-role-diversity-in-the-dceu-330
I approve of all of this except changing Mera's ethnicity. I don't understand this changing ethnicity for the sake of diversity and I'm sick of it.

If you're going to cast someone, cast someone based on their ability to act and if they're different skin colour to their source material then so be it but this "we want a black Mera because we want diversity" is ridiculous.
I've never once heard a someone go "this movie was okay but if Dave was Chinese this movie would have been GOAT."

Penguin

I approve of all of this except changing Mera's ethnicity. I don't understand this changing ethnicity for the sake of diversity and I'm sick of it.

If you're going to cast someone, cast someone based on their ability to act and if they're different skin colour to their source material then so be it but this "we want a black Mera because we want diversity" is ridiculous.
I've never once heard a someone go "this movie was okay but if Dave was Chinese this movie would have been GOAT."

But you have heard people complain about the overt whiteness of Hollywood and entertainment

They are just trying to be pro-active. Though, I do hope a red head... DC really hates gingers outside of comics.

Effect

More diversity also allows for these films to reach a wider audience globally as well. Also a lot of DC's characters were created a long time ago when the idea of diversity just wasn't a thing. 70 plus years later changes have to be made in regard to how characters look. They're not going to make brand new characters (super risky) when they have tons of stories to pull from. Nothing about the skin tone of a lot of these characters (there are exceptions) is really integral to their stories so they can be changed. White was just the default at the time when it came to creating heroes be they male or female. Sure they might be able to just create a character with a new name and give it another character's entire backstory, etc. That might be risky as well. Just changing the skin tone is likely the easiest and less risky way of doing things. Especially with characters that really aren't well known that can be shaped for new audiences. Almost no one knows who Mera is. "Mera" going forward will be whoever they put in the movies.

I know some like to say "What if we change a black character or asian character. People would get upset there.". People would be because you're removing diversity when there is already a little amount. Also cause their skin tone and background are were usually central to the character's creation, marketing purpose, agency, etc where as with a lot of white characters in the past it really wasn't. Other things were like Superman being born on Krypton are more important. When it comes to characters created before the 70s they're likely going to be open to new interpretation going forward.

Penguin

And if you do it well, most people don't care

Well some will, but they are... you know

Like look at the Wests on The Flash or Jimmy Olsen on Supergirl

Or Hawkgirl... though her ethnicity has always been rather vague

And if you do it well, most people don't care

Well some will, but they are... you know

Like look at the Wests on The Flash or Jimmy Olsen on Supergirl

Or Hawkgirl... though her ethnicity has always been rather vague

Hawkgirl is kind of a hilarious example. She's the reincarnation of an Egyptian queen except sometimes when she's an alien.

mooncakes

it reddit but here it is anyways:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinematic/comments/3u50hd/an_israeli_show_gives_more_credibility_to_the/

We're the first to announce it in the world, our sources in Hollywood are telling us Israeli actress Alona Tal is one of the two top runner that are being eyed for the role of Black Canary to first appear in one of the Justice League films and than lead a Birds of Prey movie that is in early development at Warner. The second runner for the role is Max Max: Fury Road's Abbey Lee. If Alona will get the role she'll act side by side with another Israeli actress Gal Gadot in the Justice League films"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom