• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteWolf

If they want Superman to blow up, you put The Rock in there as Black Adam for a showdown with Supes. People will be lined up for that.
I would be so pumped for that. Black Adam vs Superman done in the style of the Smallville and Zod fight? I am giddy just thinking about it.

IconGrist

I dont know anything about Black Adam, but why can't they just have a Shazam movie in there? Is a Shazam movie less plausible than Cyborg?

Hngggggg Karen. She's all over Will.

I think people are thinking Shazam won't happen because it was supposed to be done by New Line and there was no solid confirmation that it took place within the DCEU. I believe that's been cleared up since but they haven't spoken about the movie at all in a really really long time. Rock is the only who has brought it up at all.

Ashhong

I think people are thinking Shazam won't happen because it was supposed to be done by New Line and there was no solid confirmation that it took place within the DCEU. I believe that's been cleared up since but they haven't spoken about the movie at all in a really really long time. Rock is the only who has brought it up at all.

Seems like Black Adam is usually connected to Shazam if I'm not mistaken. I know it's all one connected universe and all, but I would assume they would use the major villains for their heroes.

Plus I really want to see Shazam somehow...maybe JL2 then

There is a rumor he's in WW. Cavill straight up said he wasn't in SS but didn't say no when he was asked about WW.

I'm thinking that's what they'll do, then. Have his resurrection during WW, then maybe he's recuperating until some critical point in JL.

Very possible, but then you'd have to assume everyone went out and saw WW. I'd say they'd save is return for JL as to not confuse the audience.

At the rate things are going, there's a decent chance more people will see WW than BvS :p

Ashhong

We're all assuming Supes comes back during JL, but could he make his return before that? WW's modern day bookends, maybe?

I say no.

The Snyder's have said in multiple interviews how he needs to be dead so that Batman can round up the other members of the JL.

Unless he comes back to life before and hides out like a bitch crying in a corner for the first half of JL..

Boke1879

I'm thinking that's what they'll do, then. Have his resurrection during WW, then maybe he's recuperating until some critical point in JL.

At the rate things are going, there's a decent chance more people will see WW than BvS :p

I just don't think they'd do it. Now they may tease his return at the end of WW.

a916

If they want Superman to blow up, you put The Rock in there as Black Adam for a showdown with Supes. People will be lined up for that.

Seriously WB, get this going... you have one of the biggest box office draws, a dude that just oozes charisma something their films (I love) lack. MOS2 with Shazam origin and Black Adam.

WB would praying to the gods this happens and this thing hits the 900M mark lol.

Kibbles

Awww. Do they ever post these cinemacon conferences online? I really want to see the suicide squad cast talking together.
tumblr_o5jqpxtL3r1qfoj4do1_r1_540.jpg

edit: Oh looks like they were only up briefly, I thought it was like a press conference
tumblr_o5jpnnoQuP1uwii26o1_1280.jpg

Boke1879

Seriously WB, get this going... you have one of the biggest box office draws, a dude that just oozes charisma something their films (I love) lack. MOS2 with Shazam origin and Black Adam.

WB would praying to the gods this happens and this thing hits the 900M mark lol.

I can honestly see SS if it's a critical success getting around 700 million. End of summer movie, seems to have lots of interest. People are hyped for WW as well. If those movies are received well I think it means very good things going forward.

Shazam is a sleeper IP imo, could be a big hit. I'd be crushed if they cancelled it, as it stands it's probably the most tonally light franchise on the slate.

My guess for the 10 is what's already announced + Batman & Squad 2. Dark Universe probably not green lit yet and Superman is up in the air.

It's sounding like Superman is going to become a sidekick in everybody's movies.

Or a glorified Cameo.

Poor Sups, the serious tone was always a bad idea in my opinion if handled poorly.

i don't care about a superman solo in this universe. he's powerful but the serious portrayal, while interesting in concept, is boring as hell.

barely much semblance of a personality being given to clark too. he's being left behind by this film slate it looks like.

Raptor

i don't care about a superman solo in this universe. he's powerful but the serious portrayal, while interesting in concept, is boring as hell.

barely much semblance of a personality being given to clark too. he's being left behind by this film slate it looks like.

Snyder needs to make him come back like how he is in Superman vs The Elite, thinking the world is going to a place he cant follow while still mantaining his hopeful personality, coming out at the end saving everyone in a action sequence only Snyder can do.

With that the billions will come.

Boke1879

What they need to do is let him lighten up a bit now that's he been through some shit. Superman can still be serious. It would be nice if they let a little bit of Cavill shine some of his personality on the character now. Him and Batman can still have their quips and he can still play big brother to everyone at times, but now he has to be more sure and confident of himself.

If they can do this throughout the teamup and even some of the solo movies I think they can give us another Superman movie to see how it all works.

My guess is Superman is in the wings. If a film doesn't hit expectations than a Supes solo would occupy it's sequels spot. MoS made quite a lot of money for a solo first entry movie (even more than begins), it would just take a director with a different take to renew interest.

DaveH

We're all assuming Supes comes back during JL, but could he make his return before that? WW's modern day bookends, maybe?
Sure. I'm going to be wordy, but you can literally accomplish everything below in a one-minute montage.

The way I see it is that the past-WW story has to include love blossoming with Steve Trevor... but it also has to tragically end. Given the tone of this world, I just don't see them transporting Trevor into the future or Diana macking on one of Trevor's descendants because he's a clone of Steve. It will be bittersweet and something that marks and haunts Diana in a worthy way.

Diana is living in man's world in a detached manner, but even from a distance she can't ignore the Black Zero Event. She isn't anywhere near it, but she travels to Metropolis to measure the Man of Steel to see if he's an Ares in the making. You see the seasoned Diana shadow Lois or Superman... but catches them together as Lois and Clark, being intimate and recalling Diana's own affair with Steve... and suddenly she completely empathizes with Superman and lets him be for as long as this brief happiness will last.

Something something ties into why she's looking into Lex Luthor in BvS...

...then in the end of BvS, it explains Diana's recognition and sympathy to Lois despite us never having seen them together before (that said, you can explain this by Lois's public support of Superman too).

My guess is Superman is in the wings. If a film doesn't hit expectations than a Supes solo would occupy it's sequels spot. MoS made quite a lot of money for a solo first entry movie (even more than begins), it would just take a director with a different take to renew interest.
Can't really judge with Begins. That was coming off B&R and before the Internet really blew up.

Man of steel 2 needs to be coming off success movies, if it came after BvS, things could've been bad. I Think MoS got lucky it was coming after TDKR and it's good trailers.

DaveH

It's sounding like Superman is going to become a sidekick in everybody's movies.

Or a glorified Cameo.
MoS - BvS - JL is basically a Superman trilogy. The only reason they haven't announced or secreted development is because it hinges heavily on JL and this film franchise is a "sandbox" but Superman's continuity has been preserved above everyone's else. By and large, all the other players are plug-and-play. You could write almost any Cyborg story and make a few tweaks to fit it with Justice League.

However, the arc of MoS-BvS-JL makes it very clear that Snyder still wants to play with and lean heavily on the Superman story and supporting cast. So any subsequent film has to account for Justice League and I don't know that Warner Bros is ready to put that out there for writers to look at considering how heavily BvS was leaked.

They know what they have, and the only reason they let Snyder go as dark as he did with BvS is because they know or believe it's going to pay off with Justice League. Once that's out there, then they'll be turning down Superman treatments left and right.

BadAss2961

Plenty of Superman left... Just because the character's one way now doesn't mean he'll be that way forever. Snyder hasn't even finished his own development of him yet, which could finally be realized after resurrection in Justice League.

Sooner or later as we're getting knee deep in DC movies, new writers and directors will be considered for Superman solos.

Oozer3993

Dear Warner Brothers Entertainment,

I humbly offer my services as screenwriter for Man of Steel 2. I believe my knowledge of the character, light touch, and complete submission to corporate synergy make me an ideal candidate. I promise to do my best to craft a compelling, emotionally satisfying narrative about the world's first superhero while incorporating any teases for future projects and characters/vehicles/villains with toy possibilities you desire. My love of the character is yours to bend to your maximum profit-seeking will.

Sincerely,

Oozer

P.S.
I mean, come on. It's not like I could do any worse than Jonathan Kent's death scene in Man of Steel. :p

DaveH

DC So fucking shitty that a Superman movie isn't a given somehow.
It's literally a given, there's just no way to talk about continuity rich Superman without knowing where League takes him.

If it's a generic, plug-n-play Superman story where everything before didn't and doesn't matter, I don't know that's a Superman story worth telling. Instead, Superman is essentially the MCU's Captain America in DC's universe... where the major events revolve around his story and characterization. Can you imagine farming out and announcing Captain America 3 before you knew the stories of TWS or Avengers 2?

It's the same with Superman in this universe. His story flows from the world-building and the major events of the world. He's literally a global, world-shaking hero. He isn't meant to tell pocket one-off no-impact stories... if he did they'd be more like Iron Man 2 or Incredible Hulk.

IconGrist

It's literally a given, there's just no way to talk about continuity rich Superman without knowing where League takes him.

If it's a generic, plug-n-play Superman story where everything before didn't and doesn't matter, I don't know that's a Superman story worth telling. Instead, Superman is essentially the MCU's Captain America in DC's universe... where the major events revolve around his story and characterization. Can you imagine farming out and announcing Captain America 3 before you knew the stories of TWS or Avengers 2?

It's the same with Superman in this universe. His story flows from the world-building and the major events of the world. He's literally a global, world-shaking hero. He isn't meant to tell pocket one-off no-impact stories... if he did they'd be more like Iron Man 2 or Incredible Hulk.

I really hope you're right. You have much more faith in the direction than I do and I say that as someone who really likes these movies.

Ninjimbo

I'm with you. Even if BvS didn't light up the charts, the character is still very popular. Making another Superman movie would be a safer bet than putting out something like a Cyborg movie.

I want WB to make that JL Dark movie though.

I just hope Snyder stops treating Superman like he is Doctor Manhattan.

he isn't. but being Earth's protector isn't something that should come easy. there will be growing pains, he will stumble he will fall but in time he will join them in the sun.

DaveH

Am I crazy for thinking BvS is the spiritual successor to Watchmen?
It is, but a reversal and redemption of the message. In Watchmen, the superman judges humanity weak and tolerates their blood sacrifice in cynically adopting a lie for their sake. In BvS, the superman judges humanity worthy and makes the sacrifice in hope that they're truly worthy for their sake.

Alan Moore was basically tearing superheroes a new one by saying how weak they'd be as a product of humanity. BvS continues Jor-El's MOS statement, our heroes stumble and fall like humanity, but they represent the optimism that we'll all be better one day.

RDreamer

It is, but a reversal and redemption of the message. In Watchmen, the superman judges humanity weak and tolerates their blood sacrifice in cynically adopting a lie for their sake. In BvS, the superman judges humanity worthy and makes the sacrifice in hope that they're truly worthy for their sake.

Alan Moore was basically tearing superheroes a new one by saying how weak they'd be as a product of humanity. BvS continues Jor-El's MOS statement, our heroes stumble and fall like humanity, but they represent the optimism that we'll all be better one day.

Damn, I was basically about to respond with something similar to this, but you said it better.

Raptor

I love the way you talk about my boy Kal.

:)

man jared leto is such a corny ass dude. every time i hear about his on-set joker antics it gets more and more cringeworthy

his joker performance will be great though. i'm with it.

a916

Leto picks his roles so exclusively, I don't know how WB can, or maybe has, convinced him to sign on for more than one picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom