• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the few DC movies that have supposed to be part of their cinematic universe haven't done a good job with the characters.

the characters have been fine. it's jut the most vocal naysayers have fallen into the whole "not muh X character" narrative that frankly rings hollow considering how much history and different interpretations they have.

I'm counting Green Lantern, since that was supposed to kickstart things but even if you take that out, what has been presented by Warner and Snyder for their cinematic universe hasn't given people reason to expect any of their movies to handle the characters well.

what exactly was wrong with that Hal?

Batman is more Rorschach than Batman (though Affleck does a great job with what he's given) and Wonder Woman has done so little that we have no idea what she'll end up doing over a full movie. The point is, with Zack Snyder in charge of the big team-up movie, he hasn't done anything to suggest that giving him more characters will lead to anything good.

this is a simplistic way to look at it. Batman lays out his reasons quite clearly why he has reached the depths he has. it's very easy in comic books to go years without delving into the psyche of a character and examine if the things they do affect them psychologically. BvS was very clear : Batman has been at this for 20 years and shit just isn't working, Batman is losing hope.

guek

Banned
Oh boy, it's time for the bvs hate train to start up again.

I really don't know why company wars are banned on gaming side but not here.

It's not company wars, dude. It's natural for the comparison to be drawn between the two movies, just because BvS comes out unfavorably doesn't mean people are being fanboys. I know you'd rather the talk around BvS were more positive but it can't be helped that it wasn't a well received movie.

jmood88

You're being way too sensitive if you think anything I've said has anything to do with company wars. Batman v Superman is a bad movie and it's not like I'm making up some insane or irrational reasons for disliking it.
this is a simplistic way to look at it. Batman lays out his reasons quite clearly why he has reached the depths he has. it's very easy in comic books to go years without delving into the psyche of a character and examine if the things they do affect them psychologically. BvS was very clear : Batman has been at this for 20 years and shit just isn't working, Batman is losing hope.
I understand that Snyder tried to justify why the character didn't act in the way that everyone expected and I don't find those reasons very interesting. It's also clear that Snyder wanted to make a movie with different characters but got "stuck" having to cover Batman and Superman.

Effect

Absolutely.

That said, WW was just fine in BvS, it's the lack of a Superman development that worry people.

I've always found it was the lack of Superman being perfect and fully formed from the jump and that he can be shown to be a person instead of just an ideal that bothered people. What we're getting from MoS to BvS is development and arc. Comments from many people usually results in them not wanting that but them wanting him to be the Superman they think they know. Him actually being shown becoming that person over films and not just in one film is what gets the push back. All other heroes have been allowed to grow and fail but Superman has to be fully formed from the jump as soon as he gets the costume. That was apart of the complaints about MoS and I see the same things when people complain about BvS. That's not fair.

If they did that then the complaint would be that he's boring and has no room for growth. The charges he's unrelateable would start and be aimed at him like they were aimed at him in the comics. There would be a whole new set of complaints while all the other characters were growing and changing with each film. So they're really damned if they do and if they don't.

IconGrist

You're being way too sensitive if you think anything I've said has anything to do with company wars. Batman v Superman is a bad movie and it's not like I'm making up some insane or irrational reasons for disliking it.

I understand that Snyder tried to justify why the character didn't act in the way that everyone expected and I don't find those reasons very interesting. It's also clear that Snyder wanted to make a movie with different characters but got "stuck" having to cover Batman and Superman.

Got stuck? Doing his dream job?

Man, the arguments over BvS are getting more ridiculous than I ever could have imagined.

Cheebo

Banned

The comparison is completely off the mark.

People trashing BvS are like people on the gaming side mocking a game that got universally negative reviews and strongly disliked by most who bought it.

Thinking the hate for BvS is Marvel vs DC war isn't at all accurate, almost everyone did not like BvS. Hardcore DC fans included. I vastly prefer DC to Marvel, I love the character far more. I think the DCAU is leagues ahead of the MCU but I can be honest, BvS was a terrible nearly unwatchable movie.

I mean when a movie has worse legs than last years Fantastic Four we can dismiss the idea of it being a fan war, it's a movie that almost everyone regardless of their fandom did not like.

It's not company wars, dude. It's natural for the comparison to be drawn between the two movies, just because BvS comes out unfavorably doesn't mean people are being fanboys. I know you'd rather the talk around BvS were more positive but it can't be helped that it wasn't a well received movie.

Oh please, every Civil War thread is hijacked with some DC fan boogeyman that doesn't even exist here. I could go to gaming side right now and get banned for reposting some console war bullshit from reddit and steering the thread offtopic.

guek

Banned

People trashing BvS are like people on the gaming side mocking a game that got universally negative reviews and strogly disliked by most who bought it.

BvS is the Aliens: Colonial Marines of comicbook movies?

It's less dumping on BvS, as it is dumping on people who like BvS. That's where it gets lame.

jackdoe

People trashing BvS are like people on the gaming side mocking a game that got universally negative reviews and strogly disliked by most who bought it.
Yeah, I mean I trash Thor, Thor Dark World, Age of Ultron and Green Lantern any time I can so I believe the same courtesy should be afforded to those who want to trash Batman v Superman if they felt as negatively about that movie as I felt about the Thor movies.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah, I mean I trash Thor, Thor Dark World, Age of Ultron and Green Lantern any time I can so I believe the same courtesy should be afforded to those who want to trash Batman v Superman if they felt as negatively about that movie as I felt about the Thor movies.
If someone goes around calling TDK shit and Thor 2 is the far better super hero sequel then yeah, that's probably fan bias nonsense. But we are talking about a nearly universally panned movie. This isn't a us vs them situation.

guek

Banned
Oh please, every Civil War thread is hijacked with some DC fan boogeyman that doesn't even exist here. I could go to gaming side right now and get banned for reposting some console war bullshit from reddit and steering the thread offtopic.

Gaming is way more strict with off topic talk compared to OT, it's always been that way. People pointing out DC fanboy overreactions isn't some fabrication, those actually happened in response to BvS and will probably happen again with Civil War. There are terrible fanboys in any fandom and they deserve to be mocked when they rear their heads.

It's less dumping on BvS, as it is dumping on people who like BvS. That's where it gets lame.

Agreed, though I don't think that happens with THAT much frequency

Ahasverus

I've always found it was the lack of Superman being perfect and fully formed from the jump and that he can be shown to be a person instead of just an ideal that bothered people. What we're getting from MoS to BvS is development and arc. Comments from many people usually results in them not wanting that but them wanting him to be the Superman they think they know. Him actually being shown becoming that person over films and not just in one film is what gets the push back. All other heroes have been allowed to grow and fail but Superman has to be fully formed from the jump as soon as he gets the costume. That was apart of the complaints about MoS and I see the same things when people complain about BvS. That's not fair.
I'm all for MoS and its characterization, but BvS didn't make Superman go forward. I find no difference between the MoS Superman and the BvS one, and that's a shame. Now we're waiting for JL to totally give us the Superman we wanted. Which is not perfect, just enjoyable.
Nah.

IconGrist

If someone goes around calling TDK shit and Thor 2 is the far better super hero sequel then yeah, that's pros let fan bias nonsense. But we are talking about a nearly universally panned movie. This isn't a us vs them situation.

To be clear, are you using 'panned' to mean heavily criticized or it's more popular but inaccurate definition "this thing is shit".

jackdoe

If someone goes around calling TDK shit and Thor 2 is the far better super hero sequel then yeah, that's probably fan bias nonsense. But we are talking about a nearly universally panned movie. This isn't a us vs them situation.
Exactly. It's not like these are universally agreed masterpieces. I didn't like Batman v Superman, and it has enough problems in it where I can see people hating it. Like legitimately hating it and not in a fanboy troll manner. Just like I hate, HATE the Thor movies. People have a right to display their displeasure about a movie, just as much as they have a right to display their love of one. Hell, I won't even judge you if you loved Age of Ultron (though I would give you the side eye if you told me you loved Thor Dark World).

Maddocks

Never going to get past shitposting, so might as well just ignore it and continue with the day. Them hating it or people who like it doesn't take away your enjoyment of the movie so let them have it. It really just shows how insecure they are that they have to bring up another movie to prop their favorite up. That is my take on it at least.

Batmurder too. But he looks so cool though. I screamed like a girl in his last scene with Lex. That's my damn demonic Batman.

Complaining about Batfleck killing is hypocritical, considering Clooney Batman is the only Live Action Batman without a kill under his belt. Batfleck is middle of the road in his blood lust.

Bale > Keaton > Affleck > Kilmer > Clooney

I should quantify Bale is worst because he spouts "No Killing" but kills anyway.

Ahasverus

Complaining about Batfleck killing is hypocritical, considering Clooney Batman is the only Live Action Batman without a kill under his belt. Batfleck is middle of the road in his blood lust.

Bale > Keaton > Affleck > Kilmer > Clooney

I should quantify Bale is worst because he spouts "No Killing" but kills anyway.
For starters, this one was supposed to be the comic accurate one. Secondly, none of the post-burton (who many times said he didn't give a fuck against the original story) ones shot to kill.
This one did. I mean, I was not super against it, it took me out for a bit, but I find it fine given the stakes. Still, hope it gets rectified.

BadAss2961

I'll pass on the Civil War kool-aid. Critics have been incredibly lenient on that entire universe. You had to see this coming a mile away.

Yes, our DC drink is full of salt instead of sugar right now.

Firemind

Batman is more Rorschach than Batman
This is horseshit. I can see the similarities, most notably his paranoia and strong sense of justice, but Rorschach blatantly kills several people for no real reason. Even when he escapes from prison, he kills the guy who tried to kill him moments before. You can say anything you want about the bat branding or the machine guns firing salvos, but his motives are clear. Namely torture to extract information and incapacitation of roadblocks to pursue his eventual goal.

jrush64

Banned
You know you can just stay away from the Civil War threads. It will eventually die down. I will be seeing Civil War because it looks good and it's got Black Panther and Spidey.

I do agree that critics are definitely less picky with the Marvel movies though.

DC brought the bad publicity on themselves by keeping Zack Snyder who just isn't well liked. If that movie was directed by anyone other than Zack Snyder, it would have reviewed better. And I loved the hell out of the movie though.

ReiGun

Gaming is way more strict with off topic talk compared to OT, it's always been that way. People pointing out DC fanboy overreactions isn't some fabrication, those actually happened in response to BvS and will probably happen again with Civil War. There are terrible fanboys in any fandom and they deserve to be mocked when they rear their heads.
If Gaf could still compare the films without nearly every argument getting you called a "DC conspiracy theorist" or "blind Marvel zombie" or whatever, maybe people wouldn't be so annoyed.

But we clearly can't, so here we are.

Maddocks

The dream for me is george miller directing Justice League 2. If they start it now we might get Mad Max levels of commitment to detail because after all it won oscars for that detail, can you imagine JL2 winning 6 oscars?

jmood88

You know you can just stay away from the Civil War threads. It will eventually die down. I will be seeing Civil War because it looks good and it's got Black Panther and Spidey.

I do agree that critics are definitely less picky with the Marvel movies though.

DC brought the bad publicity on themselves by keeping Zack Snyder who just isn't well liked. If that movie was directed by anyone other than Zack Snyder, it would have reviewed better. And I loved the hell out of the movie though.
This is the nonsense that leads to people getting made fun of for being fanboys. There's no vendetta against Zack Snyder, he just doesn't make good movies.

Ahasverus

The dream for me is george miller directing Justice League 2. If they start it now we might get Mad Max levels of commitment to detail because after all it won oscars for that detail, can you imagine JL2 winning 6 oscars?
He's not working for that much time. Curb your enthusiasm.

guek

Banned
If Gaf could still compare the films without nearly every argument getting you called a "DC conspiracy theorist" or "blind Marvel zombie" or whatever, maybe people wouldn't be so annoyed.

But we clearly can't, so here we are.

That's the world we live in. Most of the bickering though is usually in response to some unreasonable crap from either "side" and then further overreactions.

But at some point, you just gotta accept a movie you like isn't well liked elsewhere. I don't particularly love the Thor films for example but I don't hate them. At the same time, they're the weakest MCU films by far and I'm not going to get riled up when someone calls them trash since that's a really common sentiment on GAF.

Nah, I honestly don't have the interest.

I don't go to theaters that often. Fanboyism might make me go see DC movies I normally wouldn't.

I know what you mean, if I wasn't going to be dragged to the theaters by my spouse, I'd probably skip Civil War too. The whole BvS aftermath has left a bad taste in my mouth where I just don't have any interest in seeing any comic book movies right now. It's a weird feeling too, since I'm a big Spider-Man fan.

This is the nonsense that leads to people getting made fun of for being fanboys. There's no vendetta against Zack Snyder, he just doesn't make good movies.

Broadly speaking I agree, but I've seen at least two people go into this Snyder's a meat head bro tirade.

I'll say I wouldn't consider myself a fan of his films either. I like Dawn of the Dead, Watchmen, and BvS; and really dislike Sucker Punch.

For starters, this one was supposed to be the comic accurate one. Secondly, none of the post-burton ones shot to kill.

1. Comic Book accurate? Lol what? Maybe aesthetically.

2. As i mentioned Kilmer and clooney were less blood thirsty. as far Bale is concerned
"I hope setting fire to the Leagues Explosives cache won't kill anybody, derp"
"I don't have to save you, but i will watch you die with extreme satisfaction"
"Justice Crash!!!" Batman Uppercuts the dump truck with the Tumbler crushing the cab and driver
Says "No Killing" to Dent, 1 hour later Tackles Dent off a ledge killing him.
The there's shooting up Tumblers in TDKR
And of course killing Talia

If these don't count as "Shooting to kill" then neither does anything Batfleck does.

BadAss2961

Cool as Fury Road is i'm surprised by how well it was received. Almost nonstop action with very little story or performance. Watching the whole thing at once is a bit much.

Deserved all the technical awards it got.
I know what you mean, if I wasn't going to be dragged to the theaters by my spouse, I'd probably skip Civil War too. The whole BvS aftermath has left a bad taste in my mouth where I just don't have any interest in seeing any comic book movies right now. It's a weird feeling too, since I'm a big Spider-Man fan.

Nothing to do with BvS for me. It was sometime after Avengers and Iron Man 3 that I realized the MCU just wasn't for me.

Maddocks

Zack Synders issue is that he like Peter Jackson, can't make a short film and since he makes 3-4 hour long movies they get butchered in editing. Look at Watchmen, theatrical edition was meh to me, didn't like it at all. But the directors cut I absolutely love even though the characters are kinda wrong, but I allow that because it becomes a better film.

Batman v Superman to me was pretty poorly edited, as much as I love it in its current form that is my biggest complaint about the movie so I know the ultimate edition will be praised and loved no doubt because it will fix that editing.

Zack Synders issue is that he like Peter Jackson, can't make a short film and since he makes 3-4 hour long movies they get butchered in editing. Look at Watchmen, theatrical edition was meh to me, didn't like it at all. But the directors cut I absolutely love even though the characters are kinda wrong, but I allow that because it becomes a better film.

Batman v Superman to me was pretty poorly edited, as much as I love it in its current form that is my biggest complaint about the movie so I know the ultimate edition will be praised and loved no doubt because it will fix that editing.

Superman will smile in the Ultimate Cut. I balee.

PBY

Banned

you and others might enjoy it, but i assure you the bolded won't happen, this movie is way too toxic at this point.

a916

you and others might enjoy it, but i assure you the bolded won't happen, this movie is way too toxic at this point.

I'm going to have to agree with this... unless the ultimate cut really is that good and a whole lot of time passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom