• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

IconGrist

The Rock should have been Cyborg. That's the only way I'd be excited to see that movie. CGI his face onto a body double for the pre-injury scenes like they did with Evans in Cap 1 and then have Miles Dyson give his boy a jacked up new body.

Now I'm picturing a Terminator remake starring The Rock.

Variety reporting Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart working out schedules for the remake of Jumanji due out in July 2018...

How the F has WB not had a Shazam movie to go yet? Jesus Christ... this dude is continually taking on more and more movies and you're going to just let him sit on the sidelines? They don't even have a script in place for the movie yet...

Cause Shazam is at New Line. I don't know why people continue to think that movie is going to directly exist in this universe. If they wanted it to exist in this universe, they would have never given it to New Line in the first place. You'll get winks and nods, but I'm still a firm believer it won't be tied to the Justice League universe. Hell, I have serious doubts the movie even gets made at this point.

It's technically a co-production between Newline & WB, happens all the time.

I think Shazam is the biggest sleeper hit out of all the IP's if done right. Shazam/Captain Marvel used to be huge with kids, outselling Superman when Superman was big in comics. Like millions of issues sold per week in the 1940's. So a movie with the rock, a family friendly tone, good humor, and starring a kid who can turn into a super hero would be a big hit if done right.

Loxley

I think Shazam is the biggest sleeper hit out of all the IP's if done right. Shazam/Captain Marvel used to be huge with kids, outselling Superman when Superman was big in comics. Like millions of issues sold per week in the 1940's. So a movie with the rock, a family friendly tone, good humor, and starring a kid who can turn into a super hero would be a big hit if done right.

I agree, I think it could be a huge hit. Of course the question is, who do they get to play Shazam?

Not John Cena -_-

jackdoe

I just hope they recognize that Shazam is a kid-friendly franchise and don't try to squeeze it into the aesthetic of the DC film universe.

Like, they need to go off the walls crazy with a pseudo 1950s aesthetic in modern times with a talking tiger wearing a suit and bow tie, walking around on two legs and speaking in a British accent.

ReiGun

I just hope they recognize that Shazam is a kid-friendly franchise and don't try to squeeze it into the aesthetic of the DC film universe.

Like, they need to go off the walls crazy with a pseudo 1950s aesthetic in modern times with a talking tiger wearing a suit and bow tie, walking around on two legs and speaking in a British accent.

All rumors about Shazam point to them aiming for a kid-friendly vibe, so I think they understand this.

a916

Cause Shazam is at New Line. I don't know why people continue to think that movie is going to directly exist in this universe. If they wanted it to exist in this universe, they would have never given it to New Line in the first place. You'll get winks and nods, but I'm still a firm believer it won't be tied to the Justice League universe. Hell, I have serious doubts the movie even gets made at this point.

It would be foolish as hell to not tie him into JL. He's part of the JL in the new 52 along with a lot of the new animation films that they've put out.

jackdoe

All rumors about Shazam point to them aiming for a kid-friendly vibe, so I think they understand this.
Yeah, I'm assuming that's why it's under the New Line brand, and not a part of WB proper. But if I don't see this version of Tawky Tawny in a tweed suit as a dapper tiger, I will be disappointed:

L3pcGn9.png

And yes, I know the pic comes from Final Crisis, the comic where Tawky Tawny disembowels another talking tiger.

I agree, I think it could be a huge hit. Of course the question is, who do they get to play Shazam?

Not John Cena -_-

I would choose Channing Tatum if he wasn't already scooped up by Fox Marvel. Something out of left field would be Mark Wahlberg since he and Rock have already worked together and seemed to have pretty good chemistry.

Loxley

I would choose Channing Tatum if he wasn't already scooped up by Fox Marvel. Something out of left field would be Mark Wahlberg since he and Rock have already worked together and seemed to have pretty good chemistry.

I was thinking Armie Hammer could also be a good choice. He'd have to bulk up to match the likes of Affleck and Cavill, but he's 6'5" and I think the appropriate kind of "boyishly handsome" to play Shazam.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
There are some directors I would like to see CBM from, but they'll never do it.

Innaritu + Emmanuel Lubezki,
David Fincher,
Martin Scorsese,
Nicolas Winding Refn and
Quentin Tarantino.

Btw. Has Blomkamp shown any interest?

Nah, I feel like none of these guys will be faithful to the source material, they'll imprint their own vision to whatever property they are adapting, just because.

I know Snyder and his wife use the "made by a comittee" phrase as a shade to Marvel Studios. But being made by a comittee has already ensured a couple of 'bilion dollars' movies and have made c-tier franchises like GoTG into a household name.

I'm a little apprehensive about the filmmaker approach to this shared universe, but we'll see.

MisterHero

Captain Marvel could've been the [albeit less socially prevalent] new Harry Potter. How many movies can they make out of that Fantastic Beasts stuff

Penguin

Captain Marvel could've been the [albeit less socially prevalent] new Harry Potter. How many movies can they make out of that Fantastic Beasts stuff

I mean ideally... as many as they want

Granted, you'll start running into the pre-events of Harry Potter

But since no real timeline on his adventures

I know Snyder and his wife use the "made by a comittee" phrase as a shade to Marvel Studios. But being made by a comittee has already ensured a couple of 'bilion dollars' movies and have made c-tier franchises like GoTG into a household name.

Tbf GotG is just a remake of Avengers, with more 80s pop music.

Nah, I feel like none of these guys will be faithful to the source material, they'll imprint their own vision to whatever property they are adapting, just because.

I know Snyder and his wife use the "made by a committee" phrase as a shade to Marvel Studios. But being made by a comittee has already ensured a couple of 'bilion dollars' movies and have made c-tier franchises like GoTG into a household name.

I'm a little apprehensive about the filmmaker approach to this shared universe, but we'll see.

If I was a large shareholder I'd be screaming for safe movies replicating the mahvel formula since it seems to be the path to profitability.

As a consumer I would like to see the current experiment continue as I think less editorial oversight gives the dc slate more freedom to fail or succeed beyond the safe range. Batfleck solo is giving me chills thinking about it.

I was thinking Armie Hammer could also be a good choice. He'd have to bulk up to match the likes of Affleck and Cavill, but he's 6'5" and I think the appropriate kind of "boyishly handsome" to play Shazam.

That's a good call, I really like that suggestion. Guy seems kinda goofy too at least from talk show interviews I've seen which would be good for the kids' movie tone. Maybe Cavill could put in a good word for him.

kmfdmpig

Casting for Shazam should be interesting as they need to find two actors for the main role (the child and the wish fulfillment superhero her turns into). I think the child will need to have the stronger acting chops as the hero can be fairly flat and that should still work.

ReiGun

If I was a large shareholder I'd be screaming for safe movies replicating the mahvel formula since it seems to be the path to profitability.

As a consumer I would like to see the current experiment continue as I think less editorial oversight gives the dc slate more freedom to fail or succeed beyond the safe range. Batfleck solo is giving me chills thinking about it.

This. As much as I want to see the DCEU succeed, I don't want it if it means a bunch of safe movies. I want the directors to experiment and leave their own touches on these characters. That's what makes comic book characters exciting. My money isn't tied into this beyond the price of some movie tickets.

kmfdmpig

DC needs to look at Jamie Reyes Blue Beetle. That's a money maker and people will love it if done right.

It's a cool character, but his comic never really sold very well, so it's not a surefire hit by any means.
To me Blue Beetle whether Jaime or Ted (with Booster) would work better as a show. Both characters are most interesting, to me at least, in between their big moments. Jaime is interesting interacting with family, friends, etc... Ted is interesting interacting with Booster, Bats, etc...

Ross61

A smart movie would be to cancel Cyborg movie and announce Blue Beetle. At the same time to avoid any possible backlash, announce a GL with Hal and John actors.

Heh. They'll just rip off of the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle idea and transcribe it onto the Cyborg origin. Apokoliptan Tech subbing in for the scarab.

Noooooooooo

Well, at least it'd make Cyborg watchable.

But they won't; even if they do snag the demon on his shoulder aspect, they're already running through the standard origin moments. Gonna be the same set of problems.

It's a cool character, but his comic never really sold very well, so it's not a surefire hit by any means.
To me Blue Beetle whether Jaime or Ted (with Booster) would work better as a show. Both characters are most interesting, to me at least, in between their big moments. Jaime is interesting interacting with family, friends, etc... Ted is interesting interacting with Booster, Bats, etc...

You could pull off Ted as a show, but no way Jaime works on anything less than a movie budget.

kmfdmpig

Noooooooooo

Well, at least it'd make Cyborg watchable.

But they won't; even if they do snag the demon on his shoulder aspect, they're already running through the standard origin moments. Gonna be the same set of problems.

You could pull off Ted as a show, but no way Jaime works on anything less than a movie budget.

Good point. The budget would need to be massive to handle the scarab effects. The problem is that so much of his charm is the stuff in between the big moments. That makes it tough to make, I think. Spending a lot of money usually means the movie becomes an action packed movie that doesn't focus on the small moments. Something like Ant Man's combination of the two could work, however.

Good point. The budget would need to be massive to handle the scarab effects. The problem is that so much of his charm is the stuff in between the big moments. That makes it tough to make, I think. Spending a lot of money usually means the movie becomes an action packed movie that doesn't focus on the small moments. Something like Ant Man's combination of the two could work, however.

Yeah, I could see that working well.

kmfdmpig

I'm sure the 4chan stuff was BS, but a Birds of Prey movie could be interesting. It could be mostly street level, would not need to be too expensive, but could be good.

JSA could be interesting as a show, but I can't see it working as a movie.

jey_16

Banned
This. As much as I want to see the DCEU succeed, I don't want it if it means a bunch of safe movies. I want the directors to experiment and leave their own touches on these characters. That's what makes comic book characters exciting. My money isn't tied into this beyond the price of some movie tickets.

We won't see most of these films if they don't make make money though which is what you should be worried about. BvS should have been a lock for $1b+ which then would have allowed them to take more chances with other characters. I expect Suicide Squad to do well but who knows what's going to happen with Wonder Woman, Flash and Aquaman.

Wouldn't be surprised if they take a safer route with future films now, especially after JL1

kmfdmpig

We won't see most of these films if they don't make make money though which is what you should be worried about. BvS should have been a lock for $1b+ which then would have allowed them to take more chances with other characters. I expect Suicide Squad to do well but who knows what's going to happen with Wonder Woman, Flash and Aquaman.

Wouldn't be surprised if they take a safer route with future films now, especially after JL1

This is absolutely right. The more successes the sure things have (and since Nolan there has been a pitiful amount of success) the more risks the studio will be willing to take. That's why Marvel can pull out GotG, and Ant Man while DC worries about WW and Flash movies. If Suicide Squad, WW, and JL1 do very well then we may start to see more chances such as the Cyborg movie actually materializing, and more obscure works.

In truth I wouldn't be too upset if Justice League played it safe to afford standalone films creative freedom. At the end of the day the films need to be successful to continue.

In truth I wouldn't be too upset if Justice League played it safe to afford standalone films creative freedom. At the end of the day the films need to be successful to continue.

I get that, I suppose. Tentpoles are supposed to hold up the tent. But I really really really don't want them to abandon the creator-driven universe as a whole. Could be so damn cool.

Fortunately, JL was always going to address one of people's complaints about BvS (dark tone). Editing remains to be seen, but if the Ultimate Cut of BvS is the turnaround I'm expecting it to be, I'd wager that they're going to refrain from overcutting going forward.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

I'm ok with experiments, but when one goes wrong BvS happens. It's just very risky and I don't know if WB can afford risky at this moment. And I don't buy that 'safe' label Marvel Studios movies get slapped with, sure the big stuff like Iron Man, Cap and Avengers is guaranteed to print money and they don't fuck with the formula for those much. But GoTG and Ant-man were a risk, as is going to be Doctor Strange. Those are unknown properties and big risks and they make it work somehow.

I hope Superman is Superman in JL, no more soul searching journeys, no more doubts. 2 movies on that already, it's time to move on, just behave like Superman already bruh.

THIS has made me very, very sad :(

I guess that's why theres talk of Black Adam appearing in the universe as an anti-hero of sorts.

MAN Shazam has SO much potential.

This is absolutely right. The more successes the sure things have (and since Nolan there has been a pitiful amount of success) the more risks the studio will be willing to take. That's why Marvel can pull out GotG, and Ant Man while DC worries about WW and Flash movies. If Suicide Squad, WW, and JL1 do very well then we may start to see more chances such as the Cyborg movie actually materializing, and more obscure works.

TBF, Marvel Makes money by keeping the budget down on it's movies.

duckroll

But GoTG and Ant-man were a risk, as is going to be Doctor Strange. Those are unknown properties and big risks and they make it work somehow.

Lol those are not "risks" at all. Ant-man cost 130 million, made 180 million domestic, 519 million worldwide. That's not particularly huge for a Summer blockbuster, but it did well enough for an "unknown" hero. Note the lower than usual budget. Also note that the movie was completely safe as far as what it was. It's a family friendly film about a struggling guy who overcomes his insecurities to do the right thing and embrace his destiny of being a hero. And it had Falcon in it, just in case people forgot that this is a MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE movie.

I don't think we should confuse GotG doing better than expected with these "unknown" Marvel IPs being actually risky. Even if GotG did worse than expected, it would still have cleared the bar for profit because it's also an uplifting film about good overcoming evil, flawed people overcoming their weaknesses in uncomplicated ways, and doesn't do anything that is controversial or would make anyone question anything about the material.

Marvel films are pure escapism for the whole family, even when they pretend to have slightly provocative themes like in Winter Soldier and Civil War. In the end you leave the cinema feeling that the real heroes still won, and the world is a better place.

The question is why as consumers we want more of that from other studios when Marvel is already doing it so well. DC's slate isn't "experimental" imo, just different. In fact, if I would use a word to describe it, I would say it is creative. That's not good or bad ultimately, but at least it's different and adds range to the superhero offerings out there.

I remember Falcon appearing in Ant-man and my sister was like "who?"

When I told her she was "really, that's the guest appearance, how lame".

My reaction was thinking how lame that shot of him looked when introduced, but I didn't like Winter Soldier so I didn't care about Falcon too much.

Penguin

Lol those are not "risks" at all. Ant-man cost 130 million, made 180 million domestic, 519 million worldwide. That's not particularly huge for a Summer blockbuster, but it did well enough for an "unknown" hero. Note the lower than usual budget. Also note that the movie was completely safe as far as what it was. It's a family friendly film about a struggling guy who overcomes his insecurities to do the right thing and embrace his destiny of being a hero. And it had Falcon in it, just in case people forgot that this is a MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE movie.

I don't think we should confuse GotG doing better than expected with these "unknown" Marvel IPs being actually risky. Even if GotG did worse than expected, it would still have cleared the bar for profit because it's also an uplifting film about good overcoming evil, flawed people overcoming their weaknesses in uncomplicated ways, and doesn't do anything that is controversial or would make anyone question anything about the material.

Marvel films are pure escapism for the whole family, even when they pretend to have slightly provocative themes like in Winter Soldier and Civil War. In the end you leave the cinema feeling that the real heroes still won, and the world is a better place.

The question is why as consumers we want more of that from other studios when Marvel is already doing it so well. DC's slate isn't "experimental" imo, just different. In fact, if I would use a word to describe it, I would say it is creative. That's not good or bad ultimately, but at least it's different and adds range to the superhero offerings out there.

It's a double-edge sword

I like their movies being different, but also know that if it becomes box office poison, Warner may bench the franchise... again

And I want my movies.

duckroll

It's a double-edge sword

I like their movies being different, but also know that if it becomes box office poison, Warner may bench the franchise... again

And I want my movies.

No, it's not a double-edge sword. If they bench it... they bench it? So what? What I'm saying is, if everyone makes the same sort of superhero movie, it's boring and lame. If the choice is between having a safe and predictable Superman and Batman movie consistently every 2-3 years or having ones which feel very different and possibly even bad every 5-6 years instead, I'll take the latter every time. People are getting worried over nothing. It's not like anyone will ever say "let's never make a DC movie again!" when they own the franchise. :p

Eventually a line is crossed where discussing a movie becomes no longer fun or constructive

This thing over at Reddit where theyre criticizing Superman 'only having' 40 something instances of spoken dialogue is so arbitrary that its disheartening and tiresome.

ReiGun

Depends on how you define "risk." If just making a Cyborg movie is a risk, despite having few chances taken in storytelling or style, then sure. But god, that would get boring quick.

I'm past the point where just seeing this characters in movies is enough for me. I want more risk in style and storytelling. Will all the risk work out? No, but that's the nature of the beast. That's what keeps things interesting.

People are getting worried over nothing. It's not like anyone will ever say "let's never make a DC movie again!" when they own the franchise. :p
This too. You guys are letting all the doom and gloom and your own impatience get you thinking it's now or never. It's not. They'll just pick back up again in 5 years. No fuss, no muss.

BadAss2961

I'm ok with experiments, but when one goes wrong BvS happens. It's just very risky and I don't know if WB can afford risky at this moment. And I don't buy that 'safe' label Marvel Studios movies get slapped with, sure the big stuff like Iron Man, Cap and Avengers is guaranteed to print money and they don't fuck with the formula for those much. But GoTG and Ant-man were a risk, as is going to be Doctor Strange. Those are unknown properties and big risks and they make it work somehow.

I hope Superman is Superman in JL, no more soul searching journeys, no more doubts. 2 movies on that already, it's time to move on, just behave like Superman already bruh.
Some of their properties are risks. Thinking about it, each and every one of them were risky at some point, but they've found a formula that works, and it shadows all their movies. That's what people mean when they say Marvel plays it safe. Each movie either looks or feels like it's part of the same series, none of them doing anything radically different with their structure. They all play by the same rules. They must be "fun." There must be levity. Nothing too dark, no major tragedies (all the villains suck ass, what a surprise.) The heroes can't be too flawed, and there must be an end credits sequence.

BvS is a different animal from MoS despite having the same director and much of the same cast. Suicide Squad looks to be its own thing with more of an uptempo style and dark humor. Don't know where certain characters will be when the credits roll. I want this to be the trend rather than knowing exactly the kind of movie i'm getting going in.

I enjoy some of Marvel's movies, their fun and entertaining, but I'm starting to dislike how copy and paste each one is.

I want a movie that ends kinda like the Dark Knight, where everyone is cheering cause Gary Oldman of his monologue and think it ends all victory for the hero, but you think about it and it's:
Harvey's dead.
Rachel's Dead.
Batman public enemy #1
Gordon's son almost died, now has to praise Dent.
Alfred lies.
Everyone lost basically.

I just want a more daring approach to their storytelling. Lay of safe since they already got the audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom