• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJRB

Gold Member
I just hope Green Lantern is in. I mean, who else is going to provide the banter? Barry alone can't carry that, and I don't see the trinity goofing around. I've been watching/reading a lot of Justice League as of late, the Green Lantern vs Batman stuff is comedy gold.

They might through a curveball and make Arthur the banter sidekick, that would be awesome.

I just hope Green Lantern is in. I mean, who else is going to provide the banter? Barry alone can't carry that, and I don't see the trinity goofing around. I've been watching/reading a lot of Justice League as of late, the Green Lantern vs Batman stuff is comedy gold.

They might through a curveball and make Arthur the banter sidekick, that would be awesome.

BTBTB Aquaman is best Aquaman.

That... actually would have been an improvement... though imagine killing off a black dude, first thing in your movie may not have played well
I remember when people called The Dark Knight racist because of the black dudes that got killed.
It was Gambol, the cop in the hospital, Lowb, and the traffic cop. Funny, no one mention Pencil dude.

Arnie7

Banned
I really want to see a full cast pic of the league. Have to console myself to fan made ones until then

NEFjKUD04ojdIK_2_b.jpg

^^^I just realized that as actors they have zero chemistry together.

Ezra Miller prolly will get along fine with whoever he's paired with but yeah the trinity ain't exactly off to a great start imo. That scene between Gadot and affleck at the end was abysmal. And they're the ones who will be assembling these guys? Noooooo

Should work on that big time for justice League

And it's likely a snyder issue more than anything else. Because Cavill had more chemistry with Armie Hammer in man from UNCLE than he even did with Amy Adams in these movies lol

shingi70

Banned
Well we haven't seen them interact that much, one of the failings of BvS is that Superman and Batman only meet once before the title fight, so there's no time for them to play off one another.

Well we haven't seen them interact that much, one of the failings of BvS is that Superman and Batman only meet once before the title fight, so there's no time for them to play off one another.

Yeah but Clark and Lois doesn't work either in these movies. And it ain't a real life issue either because apparently Adams has the hots for him big time haha. In film though it's an incredibly dull chemistry

I think that's been snyder's big failing in all of his movies though. Person to person interactions rarely ever work imo

shingi70

Banned
Yeah but Clark and Lois doesn't work either in these movies. And it ain't a real life issue either because apparently Adams has the hots for him big time haha. In film though it's an incredibly dull chemistry

I think that's been snyder's big failing in all of his movies though. Person to person interactions never work for me

It's the way he writes everyone as slightly detached gods which sucks, Lois and Clark love each other but there's that stupid ass miracle man angle that the God and the Human can never truly understand each other.

I think that's been snyder's big failing in all of his movies though. Person to person interactions rarely ever work imo

It's funny how the actors real personalities are nearly what they should be as the characters. The Conan episode with them is fun.

It's funny how the actors real personalities are nearly what they should be as the characters. The Conan episode with them is fun.

LOL Forreal. I think in superman's case they should just experiment and have Cavill improvise his scenes in the suit lol. I bet it would turn out better than what he's given so far oddly enough.

Anyways I rewatched this because my sister really wanted to go see it and I think lex is honestly the best non-batman thing about this. I hated him based on my pre conceived expectations the first time around but now it's like he's the only one who is really having fun here. Wish they buzzed his head tho but eh whatever

Bruce Wayne also really should have known supermans identity. The movie shows his skills and his smarts yet deprives him of something he should have done asap. Plus interestingly enough I think one of the best scenes ended up being the one with Kevin Costner. A pacing overhaul and DC won't fix all of it but I think this movie is salvageable

Dead

well not really...yet
Haven't read it yet, but dude is long winded as fuck, and sometimes too unwilling to admit when a thing is a flaw, but is pretty often on the money as far analyzing these movies. In fact I love that he made a website and podcast series out of only Man of Steel, hahahaha.

edit: gave it a quick look and agree that one of the primary outcomes of the bombing was literally to STOP Superman from speaking on his behalf, giving him no forum to do so.

MisterHero

He's on the right path. BvS is a movie that should be watched a few times to see that most, if not all things are actually connected. The connections aren't expressed verbally, like more *cough* pedestrian movies might do.
:p
Snyder excels at storytelling through images (as both movies and comics ought to be). I think someday people will gain appreciation for both BvS's successes and failures.

Once the home version is released, screengrabs can show the evidence of those connections. What a great excuse to post pictures from the movie.

He's gotta make up for the deaths of Jimmy and Prof. Hamilton though. Maybe Cyborg's dad will fill the latter role (depending where S.T.A.R. Labs fits into the universe).

shingi70

Banned
Anyone else surprised with how hard hollywood is pushing toward the Chinese that we'd get a chinese hero in either the MCU or the DCEU. I'm guessing that's one of the reasons why New Superman is being made, but I'd love to see the great 10 someday down the line.

Bleepey

He's on the right path. BvS is a movie that should be watched a few times to see that most, if not all things are actually connected. The connections aren't expressed verbally, like more *cough* pedestrian movies might do.
Snyder excels at storytelling through images (as both movies and comics ought to be). I think someday people will gain appreciation for both BvS's successes and failures.

Once the home version is released, screengrabs can show the evidence of those connections. What a great excuse to post pictures from the movie.

He's gotta make up for the deaths of Jimmy and Prof. Hamilton though. Maybe Cyborg's dad will fill the latter role (depending where S.T.A.R. Labs fits into the universe).

I hope the blu-Ray fixes so many of the movies mistakes, a 3 minute deleted scene explained so damn much. I think history will be far kinder to this film. The thing is so much happens that you forget a lot about the motivations for stuff (good example would be Wonder Woman). Maybe Lex's plot will hold up to scrutiny as well. Check out the podcast episode on this topic too.
http://media.blubrry.com/manofsteelanswers/p/www.manofsteelanswers.com/mosaic/mosaic042.mp3

BadAss2961

Pretty sure Batman v Superman is going to be very rewatchable for these reasons among others.

I see myself getting a ton of mileage out of it.

Maddocks

That is a long ass read on Lex, enjoyable. But I understood his motivations the first watch and then on the 2nd I noticed the little brilliant choices and subtle things he did to play everyone.

The opening of Batman v Superman makes me immensely sad. It's the most beautiful opening in a comic book movie ever. Hell, it's one of the most beautiful openings I've seen in films. But then what follows it is a goddamn trainwreck. A beautiful lie.

Magwik

Banned
The opening of Batman v Superman makes me immensely sad. It's the most beautiful opening in a comic book movie ever. Hell, it's one of the most beautiful openings I've seen in films. But then what follows it is a goddamn trainwreck. A beautiful lie.

It's a testament to both the sound design and the opening that I can picture it scene for scene still just listening to A Beautiful Lie

a916

The same way that gut punched me, was the same way the ending did along with the finale to the Superman Batman fight.

MisterHero

I hope the blu-Ray fixes so many of the movies mistakes, a 3 minute deleted scene explained so damn much. I think history will be far kinder to this film. The thing is so much happens that you forget a lot about the motivations for stuff (good example would be Wonder Woman). Maybe Lex's plot will hold up to scrutiny as well. Check out the podcast episode on this topic too.
http://media.blubrry.com/manofsteelanswers/p/www.manofsteelanswers.com/mosaic/mosaic042.mp3
For all the complaints about bloatedness BvS gets, Snyder and Goyer(?)/Terrio(?) actually use brevity and some nice audiovisual editing to retell an old Superman story in about 3-5 minutes.

"Must There Be A Superman?"

I don't know where it ranks among all-time Superman stories (or even if it ranks at all; it's told in a goofy Silver Age manner). All I knew about it before actually reading it was that it was referenced in Elliot Maggin's introduction to Kingdom Come. It has the same themes, but KC's multi-issue/graphic novel format gives the concept a proper examination. KC also uses Batman to represent the human aspect of the story. So, BvS is a quasi-blend of both stories, layered underneath parts of Dark Knight Returns and Death of Superman.

Basically, the Guardians of the Universe introduce Superman to the idea of whether he's stunting humanity's growth. He is reminded of a time when he and the Justice League reversed the destruction of pollution on a planet. He then encounters a miserable boss of a peach plantation, smacking a worker who's on strike. The other workers, while agreeing to strike, don't stand up for the kid until Superman shows up. In both incidents of the polluted planet and the farm, Superman demands the citizens be self-reliant. He then suggests a preference to fighting natural disasters, because humans aren't able to control such events. Jesus even appears a couple of times.

BvS uses only parts of the story, but does it respectfully.

-The crowd embracing Superman outside the factory fire. Everyone looking to him for answers.
-Instead of the Guardians of the Universe, Superman stumbles onto the conflict himself. Likely spurred by the public reaction interwoven through the montage.
-Again, instead of little blue men, it has scientists, news reporters, Glen Woodbern, human thinkers considering what Superman is (or should be). The dialogue can also be thoughts that Superman himself has.
-Cut back to the factory fire. Superman doesn't demand people fend for themselves; he sort of turns away because he himself isn't sure what the answers are.
-The scene with the families on top of their flooded houses represent humans against natural forces, recalling the comic. This is reiterated with Batman's reasoning against Superman (Earth's future vs. Superman, a force of nature).
-The scene with Superman tugging the ship represents BOTH him and Batman's perspectives. They believe (falsely) that they are the only ones who can carry the world on their shoulders.
-The montage ends with a famous newscaster namedropping the story's title. It's also a name of a track in the OST (though the track playing in the montage is actually Day of the Dead).

So much of the movie's theme are told in 3-5 minutes and bookended(?) with this incredible shot.

Again, with the tanker scene, Superman and Batman both THINK they have to do everything themselves. Superman's abilities make him believe he's the only one who can solve everything; Batman because humanity's future belongs in their own hands. They're not arrogant per se, but so isolated that they aren't even open to the idea of cooperation.

Throw in Luthor's supreme fuckery, and on THREE occasions (the party, the chase, and the showdown in Gotham) they are denied the opportunity to communicate without interference. Their perceptions of each other have been completely skewed numerous times by the news reports, the letters, the Africa situation, etc. Newspaper clippings and tv screens. All corrupted second hand accounts. not unlike this movies critical reception, wouldn't you say? :p

Like I said, it isn't communicated verbally, but the movie underlines several times why a Justice League must exist.

Superman went to speak with the Senate, he didn't know to look for a bomb. (RIP Soledad O'Brien)
He can't love Lois and save the world at the same time.
He can't act unilaterally. In BvS it's meant as Superman cooperating with humans. Justice League has representatives of other countries, and even some from space.
He can't find Martha and fight Lex AND Doomsday at the same time. (barring time travel, I suppose. :p)

Options for both Batman and Superman immediately open when they finally cooperate. Supes doesn't need to be everywhere at once. Batman's struggle isn't futile when a force of nature is on his side.

And of course, all that struggle is rewarded/obliterated by rescued Martha's simple observation. They are the only 2 men in the world who wear capes. They have to be friends.

Ninjimbo

Pretty sure Batman v Superman is going to be very rewatchable for these reasons among others.

I see myself getting a ton of mileage out of it.
Yeah, I'm going to be watching the movie a ton too. That director's cut is going to be something else since we don't really know what's being added. Jena Malone is supposed to be part of a sub plot that disappeared from the theatrical cut. It could be anything.

The same way that gut punched me, was the same way the ending did along with the finale to the Superman Batman fight.

Totally with you there. The film has its moments, and it is definitely better than most people would have you believe. There's a difference between a mess and garbage, and this film is a mess, but it's not garbage. It has a soul, but it's buried under layers of poor editing, hectic story, and poor characterization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom