• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ehhhh I think it sounds visually kinda cool and no doubt it would have been more crowd pleasing to see more action and to have Batman and Superman be buddies for longer but it doesn't sound like it would have been much better than what we got.

If anything it sounds kind of like a safe action movie TBH. Also no mention of the Knightmare sequence when it seems to be the common thought that it was a holdover from the Goyer treatment seems fishy.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Well, here it is, the original Goyer story for BvS.

I don't know if it would have been great, but it certainly reads way better than BvS. The characters' motivations are clear and their personalities sound closer to the comics. This synopsis makes the ideas to add Dark Knight Returns, Death of Superman, and Justice League elements to the script much more damning (if its real).

Ninjimbo

That sounds like an episode of Justice League. There's cool stuff in there (and KGBeast!) but I can't help imagining some run of the mill Hollywood action movie when I read all of that. The framework is there for something better and I think we got that with BvS.

I also hate that tease at the end with Luthor. I feel that's something you pull in a tv show and not in a movie that people wait like three years for.

Those are my thoughts anyway. I wonder if that's a real summary by Goyer though.

BadAss2961

There was never any indication that Batman and Superman weren't going to be at odds in this film. The earliest talks of it has Snyder pitching Batman as the "villain" in a universe-building Man of Steel sequel.

Then there's the comic-con announcement from before Terrio was brought on to rewrite, which had Harry Lennix quoting Dark Knight Returns.

A kitten will die if someone makes a thread about this.

a916

I don't know if it would have been great, but it certainly reads way better than BvS. The characters' motivations are clear and their personalities sound closer to the comics. This synopsis makes the ideas to add Dark Knight Returns, Death of Superman, and Justice League elements to the script much more damning (if its real).

Don't most/all scripts sound good? There's been plenty that have sounded good in theory but haven't worked (whether that be director or not)

After reading it I agree that this one plays to Snyder's strengths. It's balls to the walls action all the time. Missing from here however is the Clark being a newsreporter. This also doesn't set up anything in terms of the Justice League, which was one of BvS goals (for better or worse)

Dead

well not really...yet
There was never any indication that Batman and Superman weren't going to be at odds in this film. The earliest talks of it has Snyder pitching Batman as the "villain" in a universe-building Man of Steel sequel.

Then there's the comic-con announcement from before Terrio was brought on to rewrite, which had Harry Lennix quoting Dark Knight Returns.

A kitten will die if someone makes a thread about this.
yep, clearly bs.

also moviepilot? who?

duckroll

Well, here it is, the original Goyer story for BvS.

Doesn't sound so bad. In fact, it would have been better suited to Snyder. Terrio's was very delicate to adapt, this one isn't.
http://moviepilot.com/posts/3875069

It actually opened the door for President Luthor.

Sounds like nonsense someone made up. This project goes way back and it was never ever conceived as World's Finest, that's the first warning flag. Snyder always wanted to do a version of The Dark Knight Returns. This is nothing like that. The claim that it is a high level source who was involved in meetings and discussions but has never apparently seen a hard copy of an actual script is also laughable.

SJRB

Gold Member
It has zero buildup for an expanded universe though. No Wonder Woman, not even a hint to a Justice League. Considering all of that was planned many years ago, either this is an extremely early draft, or it's nonsense.

Besides, I'm pretty sure Cranston was never actively approached for Luthor. All we know is that they initially were looking for "someone like Cranston", but changed their minds for a more neurotic and younger Luthor.

Also, "Superman is sanctioned to remain in the US" is dumb as hell.

Tabby

It has zero buildup for an expanded universe though. No Wonder Woman, not even a hint to a Justice League. Considering all of that was planned many years ago, either this is an extremely early draft, or it's nonsense.

Besides, I'm pretty sure Cranston was never actively approached for Luthor. All we know is that they initially were looking for "someone like Cranston", but changed their minds for a more neurotic and younger Luthor.

Also, "Superman is sanctioned to remain in the US" is dumb as hell.

You're poking holes in it but this was scraped for a reason if it's true.

a916

Sounds like nonsense someone made up. This project goes way back and it was never ever conceived as World's Finest, that's the first warning flag. Snyder always wanted to do a version of The Dark Knight Returns. This is nothing like that. The claim that it is a high level source who was involved in meetings and discussions but has never apparently seen a hard copy of an actual script is also laughable.

This coupled with the fact that this was always supposed to be a jumping off point to the Justice League, it wouldn't work. Then again, they could film a scene where Superman goes "well I'm glad I found someone like you" and Batman goes "there are more..."

Ehhhh I think it sounds visually kinda cool and no doubt it would have been more crowd pleasing to see more action and to have Batman and Superman be buddies for longer but it doesn't sound like it would have been much better than what we got.

If anything it sounds kind of like a safe action movie TBH. Also no mention of the Knightmare sequence when it seems to be the common thought that it was a holdover from the Goyer treatment seems fishy.

actually the knightmare sequence was added in during production of BvS because, at the time, the JL script was being worked on and they decided to add that in because it ties in with what will be done in JL. i can't remember where i read that, but it was straight from deborah snyder's mouth. the fact that it feels "tacked on" makes more sense within that context, but presumably it won't feel tacked on after JL comes

tim1138

Y'all are better at vetting the legitimacy of the original source (Heroic Hollywood) than I am, but this sounds... not good.

Bleeding Cool said:
Things are starting to move ahead for the Flash movie according to Heroic Hollywood. The film which stars Ezra Miller as Barry Allen is slated to be released March 16th, 2018. But Miller has already appeared as the Flash in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice in both in one of Bruce Wayne’s dream sequence and in Lex Luthor’s surveillance video footage.

Now the film is moving forward with casting of these five roles.

Iris West: described as a cross between Christiane Amanpour and Carry Bradshaw

Eobard Thawne: described as Central City’s Bill Gates with a degenerative disease.

Fred Chyre: described as a gruff cop and the closest thing Barry has to a friend.

Len Snart: described as ex-military and working for Thawne.

Jay Garrick: described as a former professor who was working on the speed force. Most likely a cameo.

The descriptions are very loose and not necessarily a good indication of what the film will be. But we can see that we’re likely to have Reverse-Flash and Captain Cold as our villains.

a916

Hollywood Reporter is reporting that Warner Bros is bringing in Alfonso Cuarón to come in to oversee the Andy Serkis Jungle Book movie... man how worried are they about just about every project they are doing?

I wonder if this might make it easier to bring in someone else to oversee JL as well?

I believe it. The reason Snyder is going to do Justice League it's cause he did the Job he was tasked to do. Remember all those interviews with Ben talking about the detailed notes from the CEO Kevin T, and his direct involvement on the production? This would line up with that.

Snyder the good soldier decided to take the public beating, deliver the requested product by it's bosses without pulling a Josh Trank. He got a directors cut and Justice League in return.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I so wanna see BvS again. Barely any showing at my theater and at very inconvenient times (for me). Can't wait for the BR release, that opening sequence might be my favorite moment in any cbm. The death of Bruce's parents with that soundtrack....fucking chills man. Will rewatch the hell out of that.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, which one of you nerds wrote this lmao.

My script would have more depressing stuff and deaths in it. So, not me! I think it was Ahasverus himself, dude is scarred for life. Damn you Terrio!

Ashhong

Sounds very much like it's written by someone who really wanted a World's Finest movie

I would have preferred that tbh. I'm sure they could have put in world building in that script if it was real, which it probably isn't. It's not like the world building was done smoothly in BvS lol Bruce could have just had another knightmare and voila.

Senoculum

I believe it. The reason Snyder is going to do Justice League it's cause he did the Job he was tasked to do. Remember all those interviews with Ben talking about the detailed notes from the CEO Kevin T, and his direct involvement on the production? This would line up with that.

Snyder the good soldier decided to take the public beating, deliver the requested product by it's bosses without pulling a Josh Trank. He got a directors cut and Justice League in return.

The hero we deserve.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Let's face it, a World's Finest-style movie at this point would reek of fan fiction-ness.
?

How do you know this? World's Finest adaptation simply makes the most sense and would've been no more fan fiction-y than what we ended up with. A fallout between the two titular characters would have had more of an impact if it had taken place during a Kingdom Come event sometime down the line.

Hmm one thing I take out of the most likely fake plot summary is:

I REALLY want to see Joaquin Phoenix as a comic book villain in DC-verse! He could have been a really cool Lex, although I did really like Jessie Eisenberg.

According to Mayimbe WB is waiting for a draft of Shazam and will then shop it to directors.

Was hoping they picked out a director already, but at least it's not dead.

Y'all are better at vetting the legitimacy of the original source (Heroic Hollywood) than I am, but this sounds... not good.

Sounds awful. They really just need to adapt elements from Flash Blitz if they want a villain speedster. Would kill for a scene like this but with all the justice league members :p.

flash-only-01.jpg

MisterHero

?

How do you know this? World's Finest adaptation simply makes the most sense and would've been no more fan fiction-y than what we ended up with. A fallout between the two titular characters would have had more of an impact if it had taken place during a Kingdom Come event sometime down the line.
Maybe I was too vague. Just like the fan trailer I linked, the posted World's Finest story would be full of stuff fans expect to see. But it would be unoriginal and a boring take on the characters. The "leaked plot" or whatever has them plainly good and Lex plainly bad.

And with the exception of the kryptonite, it kind of downplays the events of MoS. Superman broke Batman's tower and satellite and employees, dude's gotta pay.

I never wanted Bats and Supes to fight. Unfortunately, the idea of them fighting is extremely popular. If anything, I'd rather them hash out their differences before they became bros.

guek

Banned
Stuckman responded to the BvS rewrite stuff and some of the vitriol he received.

I was thinking about that debacle recently and man, some times it's hard to remember people on the internet are real people. The motivations and characteristics we assign to them are almost always little more than baseless assumptions. That goes for celebrities or anyone really that communicates with a wide audience on the internet. I know I've been guilty of being unnecessarily shitty to strangers on the internet, more often than I'd like to admit.

I dunno. People are too often shitty online, quite often solely for their own amusement. Too much cynicism. I'm not saying it was wrong to poke fun at Stuckman for his admittedly crap rewrite (he refers to it as literally fanfiction and laughs a lot about how bad it was) but it sounds like it got pretty nasty on twitter.

IconGrist

Stuckman responded to the BvS rewrite stuff and some of the vitriol he received.

I was thinking about that debacle recently and man, some times it's hard to remember people on the internet are real people. The motivations and characteristics we assign to them are almost always little more than baseless assumptions. That goes for celebrities or anyone really that communicates with a wide audience on the internet. I know I've been guilty of being unnecessarily shitty to strangers on the internet, more often than I'd like to admit.

I dunno. People are too often shitty online, quite often solely for their own amusement. Too much cynicism. I'm not saying it was wrong to poke fun at Stuckman for his admittedly crap rewrite (he refers to it as literally fanfiction and laughs a lot about how bad it was) but it sounds like it got pretty nasty on twitter.

People are like that online because they don't have to look into anyone's eyes when they say the dumb shit they say. Lack of empathy. Especially among the younger crowd who grew up with the internet and cell phones. Even now with someone like Stuckman (or any media personality no matter how big or small) you can just simply ignore his videos on YouTube or wherever and continue unimpeded.

Just got back from Midnight Special and it's kinda ironic how you have Michael Shannon playing a MOS-esque Johnathan Kent figure to his
alien son
in the movie. Hell it even has his kid reading superman comics in the film.

Jeff Nichols da gawd. He's gotten such good performances out of shannon.

edit: oh stuckmann talk. think his channel is basura and that rewrite was corny but yeah the twitter reactions unnecessarily blew up. it's fine to have a laugh at the guy but throwing hate his way directly is just nasty. Social Media platforms have given people too much power to direct their hatred directly to the ears (or more aptly eyes) of others, I've certainly been guilty of vitriol but I don't think I'd ever be interested in harassment or spamming. Man I remember Michael B Jordan and the racism he had to deal with during Fantastic 4...yikes.

yeah aint nobody got time for that. this is such a cliched response but if you choose to ignore jokes and hate comments it gives them less power, making a 26 minute video on the effects of it is just overkill. people have short attention spans, that rewrite would have been forgotten in a couple weeks.

guek

Banned
It does make me feel really bad for Affleck. First Daredevil and now this. On top of it all, he's going through a tough divorce. At least his Batman performance was nearly universally praised. Here's to hoping he knocks it out of the park on the solo film.

yeah aint nobody got time for that. this is such a cliched response but if you choose to ignore jokes and hate comments it gives them less power, making a 26 minute video on the effects of it is just overkill. people have short attention spans, that rewrite would have been forgotten in a couple weeks.

He talked a lot about some of the letters he got and how some people have commented on not wanting to be a creative be because they don't think they can handle the abuse. He says he made the vid primarily because so many of his subscribers asked him to so it was more for them than himself. Say what you will about his content but he genuinely comes across as a pretty nice guy.

It does make me feel really bad for Affleck. First Daredevil and now this. On top of it all, he's going through a tough divorce. At least his Batman performance was nearly universally praised. Here's to hoping he knocks it out of the park on the solo film.
It's not really a 'tough divorce' since he and Jennifer Garner are still on relatively friendly terms. I'm sure it's taken its toll on him but the proceedings are pretty amicable so far from what I've read.

Snyder is the one that I feel bad for. Movie was out of Affleck's hands and he gave a good performance too.

People think sad affleck is because of the bad reviews but that's just fanboys projecting more than anything. Dude looked freaking depressed a year ago at the comic con panel too. The split from his wife has plastered this look on him for a while now. He looks like Don Draper on a daily basis.

guek

Banned
It's not really a 'tough divorce' since he and Jennifer Garner are still on relatively friendly terms. I'm sure it's taken its toll on him but the proceedings are pretty amicable so far from what I've read.

I dunno, I think most divorces are tough no matter what. When I heard they were divorcing, my heart sank because all I could think of was his oscar acceptance speech and how he talked about his wife.

Snaku

Banned
People think sad affleck is because of the bad reviews but that's just fanboys projecting more than anything. Dude looked freaking depressed a year ago at the comic con panel too. The split from his wife has plastered this look on him for a while now. He looks like Don Draper on a daily basis.

At least he gets to be friends with Kevin Smith again.

I dunno, I think most divorces are tough no matter what. When I heard they were divorcing, my heart sank because all I could think of was his oscar acceptance speech and how he talked about his wife.
Of course. But it's not as tough since the two obviously don't hate each other's guts, which is always a plus in these sorts of things.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member

Ok, I'm confused. Who the fuck is this guy and why did his rewrite cause so much shit? I didn't even read it so I dunno what he did, but you guys keep talking about him like I'm supposed to know him or something. I kinda skipped through that video and he seems like some random YouTube blogger that reviews movies and has no clout or any movie experience beyond his subscribers. What did I miss? Like, why are people so upset that he put out a fanfic rewrite?

BadAss2961

Quit all this "feel bad" talk. Snyder, Affleck and crew are building something.

The cohesion isn't there for BvS, not in the theatrical cut, but there's lots of bits and pieces to love. Perception will change over time as the big picture starts to form for the DCEU. Also as people get endless access to it and really start to form their own opinions while the hatewagon dies down.

Y'all finished or y'all done?

a916

He talked a lot about some of the letters he got and how some people have commented on not wanting to be a creative be because they don't think they can handle the abuse. He says he made the vid primarily because so many of his subscribers asked him to so it was more for them than himself. Say what you will about his content but he genuinely comes across as a pretty nice guy.

I have no idea how he's going through, divorce is huge and I'm sure it's his children he's most worried about. Second or third might be Batman was the character he's been dying to do all his life.

I don't think he's oblivious to the fact that his performance was loved and his career couldn't be more higher right now. He has the Oscar, he has Batman, and WB will probably continually fund his Indie movies for every Batman movie he'll driect. Career wise, he's on as high of a high you can get.

Ninjimbo

I really can't wait for SS to come out now so that people forget about BvS bashing for awhile.

Anyways, I just finished watching that featurette WB released on the Batmobile chase. It was really cool to see how many practical effects they ended up using. Thinking about the special features on that BvS Blu Ray, man, it's going to be awesome if the MoS's special features are anything to go by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom