• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigorath

Banned
The opening of Batman v Superman makes me immensely sad. It's the most beautiful opening in a comic book movie ever. Hell, it's one of the most beautiful openings I've seen in films. But then what follows it is a goddamn trainwreck. A beautiful lie.

Snyder is great with openings.

The one for Watchmen was fantastic. Too bad about the rest of the movie.

SJRB

Gold Member
Some Amazons

CghhlUNVIAAWer-.jpg

https://twitter.com/CNconnienielsen/status/722935034189996032

Doutzen Kroes is an amazon in this movie, what?

a916

Pretty sure Batman v Superman is going to be very rewatchable for these reasons among others.

I see myself getting a ton of mileage out of it.

It'll be interesting to see the opinion of this movie and how it moves with time. Watch Men was received so poorly when it came out, now so many people rate it so highly thanks to the directors cut. Man of Steel has risen as well.

Batman V Superman has issues (I think a LOT of personally stems from them having a script that equaled a 4 hour cut), so it'll be interesting to see how this ultimate cut changes the opinion.

It'll be interesting to see the opinion of this movie and how it moves with time. Watch Men was received so poorly when it came out, now so many people rate it so highly thanks to the directors cut. Man of Steel has risen as well.

Batman V Superman has issues (I think a LOT of personally stems from them having a script that equaled a 4 hour cut), so it'll be interesting to see how this ultimate cut changes the opinion.

I saw Watchmen for the first time a day before I went to see Batman v Superman. Director's Cut at that. I'd easily rate it 9/10. Hell of a film.

Bleepey

I saw Watchmen for the first time a day before I went to see Batman v Superman. Director's Cut at that. I'd easily rate it 9/10. Hell of a film.

I thought Watchmen was pretty decent. If I watch it again, I need to see the extended edition. Black Freighter and everything.

Watch Men was received so poorly when it came out, now so many people rate it so highly thanks to the directors cut.

Watch men was scored higher than BvS and MoS critically, but idk if the director's cut really changed people's minds. I know people who liked it but that was all based off theatrical. I actually think Theatrical is superior to Directors (I haven't seen the ultimate super mega cut or w/e but I have seen TotBF independently) because while there are some good additions, the connective tissue to get a lot of that extra material is poor. Main example for me is the Hollis Mason scene - fantastic scene, but the shots that lead up to it to explain why the goons went there are quite bad. Considering the constraints of the movie in terms of runtime, I think the TC was making the right choice to remove it wholecloth.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I know right? There are actually loads of pics of the whole set and it looks extraordinarily beautiful.

Film is going to look great

We'll see about that, don't know shit about the cinematographer. Is he any good?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0421608/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr10

Using real sets is a bonus tho. Too bad JL is going to be all green screen (most of it). I liked how they just closed off streets for BvS and MoS.

SJRB

Gold Member
So when is the first time we're most likely to see some Justice League stuff? The main ComicCon or something? When's that?

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
So when is the first time we're most likely to see some Justice League stuff? The main ComicCon or something? When's that?

I think so, unless they don't want to give us something this early like with BvS. SDCC is in late July iirc, so that is more than 3 months of shooting. There should be enough to show to the audience, could attach the trailer to Suicide Squad as well.

I think we'll get a few shots at best, or something made for the cons like the Batman v Superman face off in the rain. Otherwise I expect a trailer for WW. I'm not expecting any new info past Aquaman (except the Bat solo). Not expecting news for Shazam and definitely not GL since they flat out said that they don't know when he's going to show up, maybe JL2 at the earliest.

Hall H is suppose to have live streaming this year so atleast we won't have to rely on crappy leaks.

I think we'll get a few shots at best, or something made for the cons like the Batman v Superman face off in the rain. Otherwise I expect a trailer for WW. I'm not expecting any new info past Aquaman (except the Bat solo). Not expecting news for Shazam and definitely not GL since they flat out said that they don't know when he's going to show up, maybe JL2 at the earliest.

Hall H is suppose to have live streaming this year so atleast we won't have to rely on crappy leaks.

It'll be interesting to see how those live streams work this year. I believe they cost money, but are they going to cut away from early footage being shown? Cause if that ends up being the case, whats the point?

As for what will be there, I suspect SS and WW will be featured heavily. JL cast will show up and make an appearance, Zack will probably have some sort of teaser for it, and they'll probably announce The Batman.

a916

With the latest BVS update, the DCEU with two movies has made more than the first 3 MCU films already... healthy SS box office return, even if it's 500-600M, it'll keep up that pace. DCEU's first 4 films might outgross the all Phase 1 Marvel movies (until Avengers get's involved at which point, all bets are off)

I think so, unless they don't want to give us something this early like with BvS. SDCC is in late July iirc, so that is more than 3 months of shooting. There should be enough to show to the audience, could attach the trailer to Suicide Squad as well.

Waaaaay too early. The audience at Hall H might get footage, but we're not getting anything.

I hope if WB has learned anything it's not blow all your material so early. Marketing in earnest should start 3 months out, 1 if we're really lucky. Civil War marketing hasn't even hit high gear yet, same with Star Wars until a month in.

antovolk

Waaaaay too early. The audience at Hall H might get footage, but we're not getting anything.

I hope if WB has learned anything it's not blow all your material so early. Marketing in earnest should start 3 months out, 1 if we're really lucky. Civil War marketing hasn't even hit high gear yet, same with Star Wars until a month in.

Agreed. I suspect the public will get a few first look portraits from JL like we did with BvS back in 2014 but no footage for public consumption. Hall H may get a small footage peak with the team but then again, maybe WB won't show any true 'exclusives' for Hall H that won't be released publicly over the SS leak last year? In fact, it was the only truly exclusive thing from last year's panel, along with a then-new Pan trailer.

WW on the other hand though, first/announcement teaser's almost definitely gonna be with Suicide Squad I think, given this is now landing same week as MoS did in 2013. Although I also won't be surprised if they hold back and start marketing it 6/7 months out instead with a teaser trailer with Fantastic Beasts/Rogue One. Which incidentally is also when I think we'll get a small teaser for Justice League publicly.....they def won't wait till the 6/7 month mark to market that. As for WW stuff at SDCC - depends on whether WB will have any true exclusives there like I said above. If yes, then a longer teaser trailer, like with MoS. If no, then the announcement teaser that'd be put online afterwards and then attached to SS.

Yeah, Ryan Gosling is actually a really funny guy that should be in more comedies. He's got a great sense of humour, at least it resonates with me, that's why I love him, not because of it'l looks, although that adds to it.

The-Place-Beyond-the-Pines6.jpg

But I am being pessimistic. He will never play a role in the DCEU or MCU.

He's kinda boring in the stoic roles imo. Found him overrated in the last few years.

And then comes the big short and that footage from the nice guys and you see he's absolutely in his element as a more humorous character

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
He's kinda boring in the stoic roles imo. Found him overrated in the last few years.

And then comes the big short and that footage from the nice guys and you see he's absolutely in his element as a more humorous character

Didn't he have like 3 scenes in The Big Short? That movie was all about Carell/Bale. As for his stoic roles, I love it. You really need some great talent to pull off what he did in Drive and PBTP (movie fell apart after his death). But I really like him in these comedic roles too.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!

The guy was phenomenal in Drive. He has great screen presence. Much more than Bale. Picks bad roles at times but he is very talented.

BadAss2961

So I'm sitting here playing Lego Batman 3 to get some kind of Superman gaming in. Where's my actual Superman game at, WB!?
There was that leaked pic from awhile ago. Better be what Rocksteady is working on now.

Also anticipating an Injustice 2 announcement sometime soon.

I bet Marvel Studios taught you fanboy hype means something. That you're here for good comic book films. WB taught me a different lesson. Getting bad comic book films for no reason at all. They taught me Snyder's films make sense only if you force them to.

Ashhong

Have you seen Crazy Stupid Love? Gosling is amazing

I'm glad to see all the Gosling love here bubbling back up. Hoping if The Good Guys takes off (and it does look so good) that WB tries to get him for something in the DCEU.

But then again I love him for shit like Drive, TPBTP, Crazy, Stupid, Love, OGF, etc and I wouldn't wanna get less of that either.

Ahasverus

Well, here it is, the original Goyer story for BvS.

Doesn't sound so bad. In fact, it would have been better suited to Snyder. Terrio's was very delicate to adapt, this one isn't.
http://moviepilot.com/posts/3875069
Here is the original World's Finest Batman and Superman story.

The opening scenes involve a terrorist group that has taken over an African village, and in the process mass massacres — men/women/children — were performed in the name of religious supremacy. Amidst the growing terror, news of it gets to the world, and reporters are sent to the scene to investigate. Lois Lane was given access to interview the terrorist leader, but during the interview, passions grow wild. The crew that came with Lois Lane are murdered one by one, except for her and Jimmy Olsen (photographer), due to the fact that the terrorists wanted their story told, and they want Lois and Jimmy to memorialize their conquests. Shortly after the murders, Superman arrives in the village. Superman manages to destroy enemy armory and tanks, essentially running off the terrorist army. Superman ultimately gets to the headquarters and successfully rescues Lois and Jimmy. He returns to the village to rescue innocent villagers, but while doing so the terrorist leader detonates a bomb; killing themselves and taking out hundreds of innocent people in the process.

A UN Congressional Hearing follows with Superman to explain what happened. The UN fears that Superman’s involvement escalated the terrorists’ plans, thereby causing the deaths of innocent civilians. Superman is sanctioned to remain in the U.S. and is asked to no longer intervene in matters of international disputes.

The President of the U.S. (Holly Hunter), who was leading the UN Congressional Hearing, receives a call from Lex Luthor requesting to meet her. Upon privately meeting with Lex, who is a charming, highly respected businessman and philanthropist (at the time Bryan Cranston or Joaquin Phoenix was being eyed for the role), he offers the president access to Kryptonian technology that would weaken Superman in the event he becomes a threat to national security. Lex shares with the President the existence of terraformed crystals found in the Indian Ocean capable of weakening and easily destroying Zod’s corpse body. Interestingly, the President wants nothing to do with utilizing the Kryptonian technology and terraformed rocks, stating that she thinks Superman is good, and that in the wrong hands, such technology can be used for evil. Lex disagrees and the two argue over power and the responsibility of holding power. Lex is angered that the President appears to care less about having technology that would protect the country from an alien and leaves the president with a warning. He taunts her for not being fit as a leader, and states that she is jeopardizing humankind by not taking advantage of his offer.

Scenes between Clark and Lois follow. Clark ponders how someone powerful as he can ignore suffering in a world when he feels he can intervene. Lois encourages him to stay good and not grow weary, that there is still good left in the world, and that he should be the hope that this world needs. During this scene, a news alert is shown on television, and the terrorist group from the beginning of the movie warns the U.S.A. of imminent attack for letting Superman, an “American hero”, intervene in Africa.

The scene changes to Gotham city bay, and the KGBeast is introduced with a group of representatives from the same terrorists introduced earlier in the movie. A transaction involving a small box of crystals occur. Apparently, it will be revealed later that the box contains weapons of mass destruction in the form of the terraformed crystals; alluded to earlier by Lex. The “Kryptonite” apparently can wield enough power that, when detonated, can be almost like a nuclear bomb. Additionally, members of the terrorist group have already infiltrated Gotham and will use these rocks as bombs to wreck havoc; beginning in Gotham City. KGBeast, who has been hired by the terrorist group, takes said army of terrorists to infiltrate Wayne Enterprises. They kill innocent bystanders, kidnap hostages, and detonate a bomb using a Kryptonite crystal; thereby destroying Wayne Enterprises. Apparently the original script has Lucius Fox dying, and news of this gets to Bruce Wayne, who in the script appears to have been thought dead for a few years.

The death of Lucius and the destruction of Wayne Enterprises gets Batman out of retirement and he begins to investigate the cause of the attack. In time, with the help of Alfred, he discovers where the KGBeast and the terrorists are hiding. He dons the Batman costume, a more primitive looking one, and only with a few gadgets. He defeats the terrorists, but not before the KGBeast escapes with the box of kryptonite.

Batman finds a way to contact Superman, and the two meet to discuss the recent terrorist attacks in Africa and Gotham City. Batman informs Superman that he had been a crime fighter many years ago, and that Superman still has a lot to learn. Comedy moment occurs when Batman tells Superman he knows he is Clark Kent, and Superman returns the favor by calling him Bruce. When Superman asks Batman how he knew, Batman said he had his ways. The two leave as friends.

The scene cuts to Lexcorp where the Kryptonian suit, as worn by Zod in 'Man of Steel' is being reproduced in high quantities. Luther’s scientists test them, and they show tremendous power – especially when powered by Kryptonite. One suit in particular has Kryptonite and will be worn later by the KGBeast, who in a way will also act as this movie’s “Metallo.”

Lex leaves the laboratory only to meet privately with the KGBeast. It is revealed that it was Lex who earlier sold the terrorists the Kryptonite crystals that was used to destroy Wayne Enterprises. They discuss their mutual partnership, and Lex reveals his motivations: 1) He wanted Wayne Enterprises knocked off from being competition to his technology empire and 2) He believes the U.S. President is unfit to lead for her refusal to take his offer earlier. He coldly makes the statement that any leader who willfully allows an “alien” to run uncontrolled should be removed from any position of power. KGBeast is promised a package of the “super-suits.” He informs Lex he plans to attack Washington D.C. and kill the President of the United States for him. Lex thinks it’s a good way to test his super suits.

Tensions mount as an attack on Washington D.C. is shown by the now super-powered KGBeast (Metallo revamped), along with a group of terrorists wearing the Kryptonian armor. KGBeast goes straight for the White House and kidnaps the President along with other government officials. This gets the attention of the world, including our heroes. The terrorists wrecks havoc with their Kryptonian armor, destroying monuments, the Capitol building, etc. The pair of heroes arrive; Superman in flight, and Batman in his jet. Together they begin to fight the superpowered terrorists. Batman’s jet is destroyed in the process, and when he comes out, it is revealed he has a power armor of his own with newer gadgets — big bad ass moment for Batman! The two heroes continue to fight the superpowered terrorists and ultimately defeat them. Superman and Batman partner to take down the KGBeast. Batman was left with the task of rescuing the President, while Superman fights the super-powered KGBeast. During this fight, Superman discovers that the KGBeast’s armor is specifically powered with a large kryptonite rock. Superman gets brutally beaten up during this fight, and requires Batman’s help, who too gets pretty beat up by the superpowered terrorist. The two heroes work together to somehow distract the enemy and dislodge the kryptonite rock that powers his suit. A grappling gun is used by Batman to tie up the KGBeast, and while tied up, Superman manages to use human level strength to take down the bad guy. The KGBeast is taken to prison, but prior to being questioned, he is murdered.

As the movie begins to close, you see Batman and Superman talking yet again. Superman hands Batman a box, and inside is kryptonite. Superman asks Batman to have it and to use it if ever he felt the need to be put down. The camera backs up and you see inside a big office a quiet Lex Luthor who is watching the two heroes talking from afar. He puts on a ring of what appears to be ladened with green kryptonite. As the closing music begins to play, the news on television reveals that the President of the U.S. had just been assassinated. Movie ends.
It actually opened the door for President Luthor.

Ahasverus

....That actually sounds pretty great?
Yep. It all dawned to me right now.

We didn't get Terrio because they were afraid of Goyer's script quality.

We got Terrio because WB needed to shoehorn the worldbuilding part of it and mandated it to be a versus movie because of "Ow the Edge". Doomsday also screams "corporate mandated third act".

Terrio did the best he could, but it was an impossible mission.

Dead

well not really...yet
Saw that yesterday.

Reads like a fanfic someone wrote after seeing the movie, and not at all like a Goyer plot.

Don't believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom