• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

I really can't wait for SS to come out now so that people forget about BvS bashing for awhile.

Anyways, I just finished watching that featurette WB released on the Batmobile chase. It was really cool to see how many practical effects they ended up using. Thinking about the special features on that BvS Blu Ray, man, it's going to be awesome if the MoS's special features are anything to go by.

At this point a 60RT rating would be a win for DC/WB....

Saw that yesterday.

Reads like a fanfic someone wrote after seeing the movie, and not at all like a Goyer plot.

Don't believe it.

It sounds equally terrible. KGBeast as Metallo? FOH

I'm just waiting for the Directors Cut, but right now, this is still a 4 after 2 showings. I feel like it was a ruined Batman film.

I really can't wait for SS to come out now so that people forget about BvS bashing for awhile.

Nothing to bash. Subpar film is subpar. Comparing it the early Marvel films isn't really equal either because both of the main draws have carried their own franchises before. I look at this and Green Lantern and continue to lower my expectations.

a916

I hope they will release 4 hours version of BvS eventually :D

Seriously, I'm not sure why this exists.. I can't even begin to understand why you approve of a script for a 4 hour movie when you ONLY planned on doing a 2 hour 20minute theatrical movie. How do you cut down a 4 hour movie into almost half the size without losing so much important connective tissue.

I honestly loved this movie, but I'm not sure why someone would do that. Seems very risky.

PS I would LOVE to see that.

duckroll

Seriously, I'm not sure why this exists.. I can't even begin to understand why you approve of a script for a 4 hour movie when you ONLY planned on doing a 2 hour 20minute theatrical movie. How do you cut down a 4 hour movie into almost half the size without losing so much important connective tissue.

I honestly loved this movie, but I'm not sure why someone would do that. Seems very risky.

PS I would LOVE to see that.

Scripts don't have runtimes. You can often estimate the length a movie might be based on a screenplay but that doesn't mean much. It is not unusual to have a 4 hour cut of a 2 hour film. Or even a 5 hour cut. If you act surprised, you're probably not very familiar with the editing process of films. Things are not shot in neat and tidy packages where you just select them and put them together based on a set of instructions and bam, you have the completed movie. Instead every single scripted scene has multiple takes, often with multiple cameras covering different angles, and scenes can run longer or shorter depending on the performances or the director's preference. Even a single line in the script that depicts the skyline of a city can end up being either a 10 second scene or a 30 second scene. These things all add up.

This is just depressing, man. WB have produced two of the best comic book movies ever made. How did it get like this?

Marvel only producing a couple of stinkers over 10+ films is the anomaly, not WB fucking up intermittently. Batman films have been above average as an aggregate but then there's Catwoman, Green Lantern and so on. Half the X-men films have been average or poor. The FF films are poop emoji all the way through. Spiderman had 2 good movies and then nothing but bowel movements. When comic book movies are made likes normal movies, the result is a spread of quality like any other grouping of normal movies through history.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, SS and WW really need to work for them. I think SS will but not sure about WW. Hope they both do well and Zack goes all out with JL. It's probably his last movie anyway, third time is the charm so I either he knocks it out of the park or single digits on RT.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm not confident in SS. Trailers came off a bit... idk, tryhard maybe.

I feel the exact opposite, to be honest. I still can't believe this movie is atually a thing, and I still can't believe how they chose the more humerous approach.

The BvS trailers had me pretty iffy, but the SS trailers have been great.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not confident in SS. Trailers came off a bit... idk, tryhard maybe.

I feel the exact opposite, to be honest. I still can't believe this movie is atually a thing, and I still can't believe how they chose the more humerous approach.

The BvS trailers had me pretty iffy, but the SS trailers have been great.

So it begins!

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
One of us will be right and get to claim that it was all so obvious in retrospect. Then make a giant post of every dissenting prerelease opinion to mock them for not agreeing.

3 months to go!

I'm seriously expecting 'not my Joker/Harley' complaints with this movie. We already got people saying : ''Joker is supposed to be about____, not _____". Just watch when the movie drops,

3 months to go!

I'm seriously expecting 'not my Joker/Harley' complaints with this movie. We already got people saying : ''Joker is supposed to be about____, not _____". Just watch when the movie drops,

Pretty sure we're already getting those reactions on appearance alone.

I mean, I still remember the rage when this image came out:

latest

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure we're already getting those reactions on appearance alone.

I mean, I still remember the rage when this image came out:

Yeah, I've seen some of those reactions too. I simply don't understand, They look great imo, the only thig that has been bothering me is the damaged tattoo. But beyond that? We get a different Joker which is nice and HQ looks amazing.

Since there is no news, let's guess the BO and RT now:

BO- 820
RT - 75%

Bleepey

My guess for Suicide Squad

BO: 750 million(Only because joker and batman)
RT: 50%

This film I either going to be great or kill all non Batman DC films

If the movie gets Deadpool style rave reviews I will be genuinely surprised if the film pulls in less than a billion. I'd say closer to $2 billion.

Ninjimbo

*sigh*

I really dislike the term "DC fan" being used against me as an insult.
Yeah, it's annoying. Just try to ignore it and OT in general for now. It's a poisoned well.

My predictions for SS:

RT: 75-80%

250 domestic and 400 International.

I don't usually like making predictions since I don't a lot of about the finances of these movies but, whatever, I don't think anybody is seriously expecting to be right when they make predictions.

Ross61

What's crazy about the #NotMyJoker stuff is that its mostly based on his appearance. There's hardly been anything in the trailers that would suggest that Leto diverged greatly from the usual portrayal of Joker.

BadAss2961

If the movie gets Deadpool style rave reviews I will be genuinely surprised if the film pulls in less than a billion. I'd say closer to $2 billion.
For Suicide Squad? You crazy.

I always thought it could reach a billion depending on reception, but not much over it. "Closer to $2B" was BvS' ceiling.

a916

Scripts don't have runtimes. You can often estimate the length a movie might be based on a screenplay but that doesn't mean much. It is not unusual to have a 4 hour cut of a 2 hour film. Or even a 5 hour cut. If you act surprised, you're probably not very familiar with the editing process of films. Things are not shot in neat and tidy packages where you just select them and put them together based on a set of instructions and bam, you have the completed movie. Instead every single scripted scene has multiple takes, often with multiple cameras covering different angles, and scenes can run longer or shorter depending on the performances or the director's preference. Even a single line in the script that depicts the skyline of a city can end up being either a 10 second scene or a 30 second scene. These things all add up.

But that's not what a 4 hour cut is. A 4 hour cut isn't every footage, it's one of each scene and then edited to fit. We could argue that what the estimation was for screenplay length, but you can't look at that screenplay and be like, yup, that's a nice 2 hour movie that just happened to balloon to 4 hours. You can bet they made an animatic of the movie using storyboards to figure out how long it would be before a single camera rolled. By then they would have figured out how long that movie is.

Yes there are movies that have these long cuts (Age of Ultron) but when you're forced to gut out so much meat, it's difficult to know which scene should be taken out and what it's ramifications are. Like you take out one scene, suddenly another doesn't make sense so that goes... and then another third scene is weaker because it relied on that other one... and so on.

That's Civil War's ceiling, SS's ceiling is GOTG, around 700ish and DC should be more than happy.

I personally think WB will be happy if WW and SS do over 600M and have decent critical and fan reception. They don't need bangers, they just need consistency. It's worked for Marvel.

An obvious statement to make but if Suicide Squad appeals enough to encourage repeat viewings, it can pass a billion. It's got the brand recognition and excitement to give it a strong opening. In all likelihood it'll top Guardians as the top August opening. Should it fail to retain that audience, who knows.

Sort of why I expect Civil War to pass Avengers 1. Initially guessed $1.3bil, now thinking $1.6bil. Can't speak for everybody but it's the first Marvel film I'm watching twice in theaters.

I don't know man. A lot of people were against how the cast looked when this photo got released.

especially the Joker

jared-leto-joker.jpg

But I feel like it has shifted. A lot of people actually like him in the trailers and he's often the highlight. (I watched a lot of Reaction Videos).

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Remember those leaked set pics and people said they fucked up and Killer Croc should have been CG? Ugh.

As for Leto Joker, I'm just glued to the screen whenever he is on. He really has a great screen presence, I hope the chemistry between him and Margot Robbie is good.

Bleepey

For Suicide Squad? You crazy.

I always thought it could reach a billion depending on reception, but not much over it. "Closer to $2B" was BvS' ceiling.
2 billion may be far fetched, however comfortable over 1 billion ain't.

1) in around 2008 Will Smith brought in over $600 million each with Hancock and I am
Legend by himself. This is about 700 mill in 2016. Now imagine what he can do with a star studded cast Shibari Steve and Jai Courtney

2) it has a well received Ben Affleck and films that were....well that's where it gets difficult. Maybe the director's cut will redeem BVS with audiences. His Batman will be in this

3) the joker and Harley. Look at how people yearned for Deadpool and the splash he had. Every other day I see Harley Quinns on tinder. People are doing a 180 over Jared Leto too

4) not an 18 and a comedy. Easy to market and with mass appeal. Also can be shown in China. Also Harley can be used to market and appeal to women.

5) a lot of positive buzz surrounding the marketing. Great momentum like Deadpool.

With good reviews I can see this doing a billion easily.

guek

Banned
I personally think WB will be happy if WW and SS do over 600M and have decent critical and fan reception. They don't need bangers, they just need consistency. It's worked for Marvel.

Kinda depends on the budget. Do we have any clue what the budget for SS was?

ReiGun

*sigh*

What's interesting is that people don't realize the "placing these movies to closely with their personal identities" runs in the opposite direction. People are so damn angry and upset over disliking this film and it's made them be massive assholes to those who feel differently. Of course, no one is sending death threats to anyone who gave the movie a good review, so there you go.

This whole thing has been further proof that geek culture is generally toxic. Mostly just the domain of people who need the internet to feel superior to others.

I haven't heard anything, but I can't imagine it was that big. With BvS and Fantastic Beasts coming out this year as their big blockbusters, I would guess WB wanted to keep costs on other films down.

*sigh*

The attitude permeating the comic movie discourse is a rough deal. Really sucks how folks sending death threats about BvS, Star Wars 7, Avengers AoU, countless video games. While it sucks a heck of a lot less, how it's used as evidence of an unhinged fanbase is a lame turn of events. You'd imagine we'd be civil in the face of extreme fan reactions; not digging in. Broken down into the simplest metric of time, every comic film this year amounts to something around 12 hours. Lots of anger over little.

Shot in the dark, $225mil. Smith and Leto couldn't have been cheap.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
The attitude permeating the comic movie discourse is a rough deal. Really sucks how folks sending death threats about BvS, Star Wars 7, Avengers AoU, countless video games. While it sucks a heck of a lot less, how it's used as evidence of an unhinged fanbase is a lame turn of events. You'd imagine we'd be civil in the face of extreme fan reactions; not digging in. Broken down into the simplest metric of time, every comic film this year amounts to something around 12 hours. Lots of anger over little.

Smith I'll agree, but Leto? He wasn't even their first choice and jumped at the opportunity because he actually was a fan iirc. Dunno about his salary in other movies but him I don't see taking up that much.

I would go for 130-140, possibly more now with the reshoots.

guek

Banned

Seems way too high. WB has a problem if they're throwing more money at this than Iron Man 3 and are spending as much as they did on Man of Steel.

My shot in the dark guess would be $160-180M

2 billion may be far fetched, however comfortable over 1 billion ain't.

1) in around 2008 Will Smith brought in over $600 million each with Hancock and I am
Legend by himself. This is about 700 mill in 2016. Now imagine what he can do with a star studded cast Shibari Steve and Jai Courtney

2) it has a well received Ben Affleck and films that were....well that's where it gets difficult. Maybe the director's cut will redeem BVS with audiences. His Batman will be in this

3) the joker and Harley. Look at how people yearned for Deadpool and the splash he had. Every other day I see Harley Quinns on tinder. People are doing a 180 over Jared Leto too

4) not an 18 and a comedy. Easy to market and with mass appeal. Also can be shown in China. Also Harley can be used to market and appeal to women.

5) a lot of positive buzz surrounding the marketing. Great momentum like Deadpool.

With good reviews I can see this doing a billion easily.

I doubt it will recapture the deadpool lightning, even if its a great film. Sometimes a movie just gets lucky.

Smith I'll agree, but Leto? He wasn't even their first choice and jumped at the opportunity because he actually was a fan iirc. Dunno about his salary in other movies but him I don't see taking up that much.

I would go for 130-140, possibly more now with the reshoots.

Leto coming off his Oscar win likely shot his rate up. Ordinarily, I agree he wouldn't cost as much.

Seems way too high. WB has a problem if they're throwing more money at this than Iron Man 3 and are spending as much as they did on Man of Steel.

My shot in the dark guess would be $160-180M

I believe GotG went over $200mil; larger budget than Cap 2 and Thor 2. Investing in an unknown property isn't that crazy, considering how WB-DC were pushing Suicide Squad in recent years.

antovolk

But that's not what a 4 hour cut is. A 4 hour cut isn't every footage, it's one of each scene and then edited to fit. We could argue that what the estimation was for screenplay length, but you can't look at that screenplay and be like, yup, that's a nice 2 hour movie that just happened to balloon to 4 hours. You can bet they made an animatic of the movie using storyboards to figure out how long it would be before a single camera rolled. By then they would have figured out how long that movie is.

Yes there are movies that have these long cuts (Age of Ultron) but when you're forced to gut out so much meat, it's difficult to know which scene should be taken out and what it's ramifications are. Like you take out one scene, suddenly another doesn't make sense so that goes... and then another third scene is weaker because it relied on that other one... and so on.

FYI Brenner did say the 4 hour cut was an assembly cut, the 3 hour Ultimate Cut is that but refined down as intended. Every film has an early assembly cut that may or may not be long. MoS was 3 and a half hours. Civil War is 2h45. Mockingjay P2 is 3 hours.

I'm this case I'm pretty confident that with the script and all, they targeted this for 3 hours - the UC we are getting. Then at a later stage Snyder and WB got cold feet about going through with that, so they cut that down to 2 and a half and have the 3 hour included on every single DVD and Blu-ray.

Dead

well not really...yet
Regarding the editing down, I think the last 4 chan leak was probably on point even if it wasn't a real leak

The 3 hour cut got slapped with an R and then they figured if they are going to have to edit the movie down for ratings reason, might as well chop out more scenes to get in more theater showings. Zack agreed more than likely with the caveat that he gets to release the full unedited R cut on bluray as a directors cut/ ultimate cut, whatever you wanna call it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom