• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
I believe GotG went over $200mil; larger budget than Cap 2 and Thor 2. Investing in an unknown property isn't that crazy, considering how WB-DC were pushing Suicide Squad in recent years.

True, but I'd still be shocked if it were that expensive. At the same time, it'd be so ballsy, I'd have to admire WB for their commitment.

antovolk

Regarding the editing down, I think the last 4 chan leak was probably on point even if it wasn't a real leak

The 3 hour cut got slapped with an R and then they figured if they are going to have to edit the movie down for ratings reason, might as well chop out more scenes to get in more theater showings. Zack agreed more than likely with the caveat that he gets to release the full unedited R cut on bluray as a directors cut/ ultimate cut, whatever you wanna call it.

I don't think the rating is an issue at all. Going off interviews with Snyder , he says it's very few bits of violence that push it over, they could've easily finessed that 3 hour cut to a PG13 to release theatrically. Nearly every early cut of an action blockbuster gets an R anyway. It's just the runtime, especially because not only so to get the maximum shows per day, but also that it'd be the impossible to release this in 70mm IMAX, the most the platters can hold is just under 2h50. With the home release they just didn't bother to finesse it down for a lower rating, hell they didn't have to sent it to MPAA to rate anyway.

People are making far too big a deal about the rating. They key issue here is runtime.

Dead

well not really...yet
I think the rating was also elaffected by the tone and how pervasively dark the movie was. Snyder even mentioned it in regards to the scene with Superman looking for his mom.

Odoul

The Red Capes Are Coming has really grown on me. It's just so grand and sinister, like something out of an 80's horror. I didn't really appreciate it in the theater but it's awesome.

Combined with Is She With You makes for a great OST. I still prefer MoS but it isn't blowing BvS out of the water like I first thought.

JK Simmons on Gordon in JL,

I don't get started on that until June, and my part in the first one is very small. I'm going into a thing that hopefully will be 2, 3, 4, maybe more movies for me, and my part in the first one is really very small.

Imagine it's a brief scene with Affleck.

Cipherr

I don't know man. A lot of people were against how the cast looked when this photo got released.

especially the Joker

jared-leto-joker.jpg

But I feel like it has shifted. A lot of people actually like him in the trailers and he's often the highlight. (I watched a lot of Reaction Videos).

Yeah. I hated his look in those images. And I still think the "Damaged" tattoo is stupid, but in motion he looks fine and no one has time to focus on a head tattoo during a movie soo... My opinion on him has changed. It looks great.

2 billion may be far fetched, however comfortable over 1 billion ain't.

1) in around 2008 Will Smith brought in over $600 million each with Hancock and I am
Legend by himself. This is about 700 mill in 2016. Now imagine what he can do with a star studded cast Shibari Steve and Jai Courtney

2) it has a well received Ben Affleck and films that were....well that's where it gets difficult. Maybe the director's cut will redeem BVS with audiences. His Batman will be in this

3) the joker and Harley. Look at how people yearned for Deadpool and the splash he had. Every other day I see Harley Quinns on tinder. People are doing a 180 over Jared Leto too

4) not an 18 and a comedy. Easy to market and with mass appeal. Also can be shown in China. Also Harley can be used to market and appeal to women.

5) a lot of positive buzz surrounding the marketing. Great momentum like Deadpool.

With good reviews I can see this doing a billion easily.

'Over a billion easily' is very optimistic. I think a lot of people underestimate just how hard it is to hit a billion generally, you need just about everything to come together perfectly unless you're already an established blockbuster franchise with multiple wins under your belt.

Will Smith isn't the draw he once was, I think that is undeniable. Jai Courtney and Shibari Steve are stars, now?

Ben Affleck's Batman might have been generally well received, but it still might prove a toxic association given general viewers will immediately associate SS with BvS, a more often than not heavily disliked film by the GA. Director's cut won't change the public opinion by much, if at all, I don't think.

Joker and Harley are legitimate factors, but I'm not really seeing 'mass appeal', it might be PG-13, but just by name alone, you're pushing away a lot of families that otherwise would've gone to a 'Batman v. Superman' film that sounds like a fun romp as opposed to...yeah, you get the point.

Marketing's a tough one. SS has done well for itself thus far, but Deadpool's entire campaign was lightning in a bottle. It was perfect. But overall, even with all the factors going SS' way, I can maybe see it doing marginally better than Guardians, at best. Guardians had the Marvel name, the immensely positive critical reception, talking animals, etc. SS is coming off a not-so-warmly-received BvS with a darker title and a much darker story.

So yeah. $800 million at best, $600 million at worst.

Seeing Mission Impossible RN in theaters, when the Alibaba logo appears in the title credits and later a Chinese actress is in a brief scene, kept wondering if it had a special release to punch up her role.

duckroll

Yeah let's shit on a blockbuster for successfully showcasing another country's landmarks with awesome big budget action. Boo hoo. It's fine when it's FUCK YEAH USA, but when it's China or whatever it's a negative. Haha.

Anth0ny

I thought Suicide Squad would hit a billion if BvS knocked it out of the park.

That didn't happen. There's little momentum for the film right now.

Now I'm thinking $800 million if it gets great word of mouth, and probably $500-$600m if it gets word of mouth similar to BvS.

I thought Suicide Squad would hit a billion if BvS knocked it out of the park.

That didn't happen. There's little momentum for the film right now.

Now I'm thinking $800 million if it gets great word of mouth, and probably $500-$600m if it gets word of mouth similar to BvS.

the best it's gonna due is Guardians of the Galaxy numbers if it has great word of mouth. It's sitting in that same late summer slot and it's legs are gonna be cut from underneath it by the school year.

I wonder how much of the runtime of that last transformers movie was filmed just for Chinese release.

I believe half the movie's budget was provided by china and of course preferential treatment while filming in china

Corpsepyre

Banned
Yeah let's shit on a blockbuster for successfully showcasing another country's landmarks with awesome big budget action. Boo hoo. It's fine when it's FUCK YEAH USA, but when it's China or whatever it's a negative. Haha.

Not sure about the 'awesome big budget action' part though.

IconGrist

I was concentrated a bit more on the "bigger" part of that statement. Not that I would know one way or the other but are we talking context or popularity?

SJRB

Gold Member
Just watched Batman Year One, that was really awesome. I liked the focus on Gordon as a person and Batman as a myth. Also an incredible soundtrack which unfortunately seems to be unreleased.

Y5edQmL.jpg

Dope as hell. All these DC Animated Movies I've watched have been on point, not a single dud so far. Well perhaps All-Star Superman, that movie was remarkably weak and all over the place.

ReiGun

I was concentrated a bit more on the "bigger" part of that statement. Not that I would know one way or the other but are we talking context or popularity?

Given the examples, I'm thinking context. But even then, it's dicey. Like, Doctor Strange is definitely more of a mover and shaker than Dr. Fate. But then, Black Cat is no where near as integral to the Spider-Man lore as Catwoman is to Batman.

Popularity is the same way. Namor preceded Aquaman, but Aquaman is far more popular. The Doom Patrol came before the X-Men, but...well we know how that goes.

ReiGun

I don't understand why DC is trying to shove so many heroes in their movies. It's already proving problematic and they just keep adding more and more....

Who wants to start taking bets on how many Speedsters are going to be in the new Flash film?

The movie is called "Green Lantern Corps." Kind of implies there's going to be a lot of them in there.

MisterHero

It won't be so bad if John and Kyle are actually trying to stop Parallax Hal after some tragic moment in space. Then it's really just 2 heroes and 1 antagonist.

I'd really want Coast City to be the thing that triggers Hal, but I don't think the audience can handle another destroyed city.

*buys ticket to ID4-2*

Ashhong

After watching JL animated, I find John really boring. He doesn't have much personality. Much prefer the Hal that's in the new animated movies.

Pendas

Banned
The movie is called "Green Lantern Corps." Kind of implies there's going to be a lot of them in there.

That's the point, everything is a "Group."

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice
Suicide Squad
Green Lantern Corps

What ever happened to making a movie that centers around one hero? I suppose WW is just about her, but we have to wait and see.

ReiGun

That's the point, everything is a "Group."

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice
Suicide Squad
Green Lantern Corps

What ever happened to making a movie that centers around one hero? I suppose WW is just about her, but we have to wait and see.

But two of those are movies about teams. Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Shazam, and Cyborg will all likely have one central hero.

Pendas

Banned
But two of those are movies about teams. Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Shazam, and Cyborg will all likely have one central hero.

Hopefully, but right now it looks like DC is trying to turn every film into an Avengers and get as many characters on screen as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom