• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleepey

If someone wanted to tank the DCEU real quick, they'd follow his suggestions.

Hey, you know Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, etc? Yeah, let's not do them because they have a history. Instead use Doctor Fate, Captain Atom, or Starman!

Hey, you know the one part most people liked about BvS, Batman? Yeah, let's wait until we have two consecutive well received Superman movies before we have a Batman movie!

He says SS sucks because they're doing reshoots to add humor, too.

It's maddening how often that SS rumour is being repeated. Like, when the first trailer was leaked with its very dark tone Will Smith and David Ayer were talking about how the film is actually a borderline comedy, yet some dickhead tweets about there being no comedy in the film and few journalists bother to look up earlier reports and maybe "Feraci's probably full of shit".

MisterHero

Why can't their soapboxes be spent on doing something productive, like constantly meme Jim Carrey as Plastic Man.

It worked on The Rock and Black Adam, after all.

SJRB

Gold Member
Oh come on. Man Bat was the best sidequest in Arkham Knight!

Sure, but only because of the atmosphere of the lab and the scare effects. Entering that place for the first time was like stepping into a horror movie.

The "mission" itself is pretty silly.

KonradLaw

Doctor Fate would work really well in a teamup of supernatural characters movie. Justice League Dark and stuff like that.

I actually wonder what that Dark Universe's script was about. When looking at a bunch of supnatural/horror beings working together under a leadership of Constantine it seems heist story would be the most natural fit. And it hasn't been done properly in comicbook movie yet. Because I liked Antman, but it was utter garbage as heist film.

Overall I hope DC won't forget it's magical side on screen. This is the one area where their source material completely annihilates Marvel.

Doctor Fate would work really well in a teamup of supernatural characters movie. Justice League Dark and stuff like that.

I actually wonder what that Dark Universe's script was about. When looking at a bunch of supnatural/horror beings working together under a leadership of Constantine it seems heist story would be the most natural fit. And it hasn't been done properly in comicbook movie yet. Because I liked Antman, but it was utter garbage as heist film.

eh it wasn't garbage it just left you with Heist Blue Balls.

Ninjimbo

Sure, but only because of the atmosphere of the lab and the scare effects. Entering that place for the first time was like stepping into a horror movie.

The "mission" itself is pretty silly.
Yeah, the game portion of the mission wasn't all that hot, but the storytelling was ace. Loved it a lot.

Anyone here collect the DC Comics Multiverse Batman v Superman figures? The last two are starting to pop up in stores. I don't know why they went with Bat Creature. They had so many other options left, like Doomsday, Clark, Bruce, Lois, Alfred, Superman Soldier, Parademon, Flash, Cyborg, etcetera.

Yeah, really odd choice. I assume it wasn't Doomsday to avoid spoilers through Mattel releases. Which really seems pointless seeing some as how late the figure hit the stores, the fact that we only found out it was the bat creature two weeks ago and we knew about Doomsday official ages ago.

I really wanted a Lois.

I want WB to give one of the Justice League Dark characters to Nicholas Winding Refn, and just let him create total fucking insanity.

no thanks. what we should be getting is hellblazer from the director of the witch. no need to saddle him with big universe continuity burden though, just ask him to put out something that wouldn't be too hard to fit into the rest of the universe if they needed to.

Man Bat is hardly an A lister and the Bat Rogues Gallery is huge. Doubt they'll bother with someone like that.

Not so much a main Batman villain but just something on the side like Killer croc is in suicide squad, or Strucker was in AoU. Like an opening montage of him taking down his b/c-tier rogues or something like that.

I'm still holding out hope for a court of owls. It seems crazy to me that they weren't in Arkham Knight. Like a full on mystery movie where he has to figure out who's in the court while dealing with hired mercenaries (Deathstroke, Shiva, Bane like AO) or Owlman & talons.

SJRB

Gold Member
Arkham Origins has a great story tbh. People went apeshit over the "twist" being dumb but it gets revealed like 25% of the way through the game and isn't treated like it's this great big deal.

The twist itself isn't dumb, it's the fact that the devs felt the need to force Joker in as the center piece yet again. The game was fine with Black Mask as the main antagonist. Everything about it made sense, the twist is completely unneeded.

Overall though I think all four Arkham games would make for excellent Batman movies, with some tweaks here and there.

strafer

Arkham Origins has a great story tbh. People went apeshit over the "twist" being dumb but it gets revealed like 25% of the way through the game and isn't treated like it's this great big deal.

I love Origins..it's the best Arkham game but yeah, the use of The Joker yet again is disappointed even though Troy Baker did a phenomenal job.

shingi70

Banned
I don't know....a Captain Atom/Starman movie seems pretty offbeat to me.

Captain Atom wouldn't be offbeat at all. If there ever was a Captain Atom movie it would be a fairly serious movie about the US Government creating their own Metahuman in the Wake of all these super powered individuals popping up.

The twist itself isn't dumb, it's the fact that the devs felt the need to force Joker in as the center piece yet again. The game was fine with Black Mask as the main antagonist. Everything about it made sense, the twist is completely unneeded.

Overall though I think all four Arkham games would make for excellent Batman movies, with some tweaks here and there.

I'd say AC and AK were the two that didn't need to include him. He's front and centre in the story of both AA and AO, while he's peripheral to the others.

Really not a fan of AK's story. Scarecrow was channeling Bane from TDKR in the worst way possible where the villains constantly had Batman at their mercy and were like "oh no, he hasn't suffered enough yet! Let him go!". Dreadful stuff imo. And the twist in that is more insulting than the one in AO by a good green country mile. The prerelease lying :(

IconGrist

Man, r/DC_Cinematic is a cesspool. It was a pretty decent place to check for DCEU news and conversations and then the BvS reviews hit...

There's like one or two level-headed posters there now. Every one else is a troll on either side of the argument.

Maddocks

Man, r/DC_Cinematic is a cesspool. It was a pretty decent place to check for DCEU news and conversations and then the BvS reviews hit...

There's like one or two level-headed posters there now. Every one else is a troll on either side of the argument.

That's how it starts. The fever, the rage, the feeling of powerlessness that turns good posters... cruel.

Easy Free Karma Guide

Step 1: Preface every statement with "I know I will probably be down-voted for this.."

Step 2: Exclaim how much you love the movie and dont care about anyone's opinion.

Step 3: Make an asinine and uneducated defense of BvS or Snyder ( I saw someone on their yesterday that said Snyder purposely did a shitty version of Death of Superman and Dark Knight Returns, so audiences would be prepared for original stories. He bashed marvel in the same post of course.)

Step 4: ????

Step 5: Profit

I'd like to see the premise of AO or AA as a story.

Batman doing rambo type shit around Gotham trying to survive 10 assassins out to kill him would be amazing, or trying to survive in Arkham Asylum after being cut off from all his tools and support.

I feel like all the movies out right now fail to highlight his cunning, or ingenuity. Begins was the closet, but TDK had Joker play him like a puppet and he was annihilated in TDKR, while the older films weren't much for plot anyways.

Loxley

I mentioned it back in the BVS review thread (Snyder reiterated this answer on the Watchmen making-of), but yeah, this is the guy WB decided to let spear-head their big cinematic universe:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: First 300, now Watchmen — have you always been a comics fan?

ZACK SNYDER: I came to comic books through my mother. I loved fantasy art — I love Frank Frazetta [the famed illustrator known for adult-oriented, sword-and-sorcery, and sci-fi imagery]. I went to boarding school. You weren’t allowed too many posters up, and everything I set up was slightly inappropriate. Frazetta’s naked girls, ripped up guys — the kids were like, ”What the hell?!” They had their Boy George posters up, I had crazy Frazetta. My mother saw I was into this comic called Heavy Metal magazine, so she got me a subscription. You could call it ”high-brow” comics, but to me, that comic book was just pretty sexy! I had a buddy who tried getting me into ”normal” comic books, but I was all like, ”No one is having sex or killing each other. This isn’t really doing it for me.” I was a little broken, that way. So when Watchmen came along, I was, ”This is more my scene.”

Giving Snyder a movie or two, I totally get, but the creative control he was given was clearly a tad much given his directorial sensibilities. It's why I'm both happy and still slightly nervous that WB will apparently be keeping a closer on eye on him with Justice League.

Civil War getting such critical acclaim is both exciting and disheartening at the same time. While Marvel is constantly knocking it out of the park, WB can't even get Batman and Superman right. I know Affleck is a great Batman, but at this point, I'd rather they just rebooted the DCEU. It makes me sad every time I think about it.

Tabby

I had a buddy who tried getting me into ”normal” comic books, but I was all like, ”No one is having sex or killing each other. This isn’t really doing it for me.”

I can imagine Justice League now. The Flash is going to vibrate his hand through people, Aquaman will just stab fools with his trident and Cyborg will obliterate everyone.

Civil War getting such critical acclaim is both exciting and disheartening at the same time. While Marvel is constantly knocking it out of the park, WB can't even get Batman and Superman right. I know Affleck is a great Batman, but at this point, I'd rather they just rebooted the DCEU. It makes me sad every time I think about it.
Dude, we are two movies in. There wasn't even suppose to be a cinematic universe in the first place. Save the drama.

Dead

well not really...yet
Not to imply Snyder isn't all about being "EDGY", but to be fair he is speaking from the perspective of when he is a kid, and it's far from an uncommon sentiment from geeks growing up reading comics, especially in the late 80s/early 90s.

a916

I'm sure we knew we were getting the quality of a Civil War or The Avengers after Marvel's 2nd, 3rd, 4th movies... (Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor)...

I'm sure we knew we were getting the quality of a Civil War or The Avengers after Marvel's 2nd, 3rd, 4th movies... (Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor)...

Yeah, I know I'm overrating. It's just that Batman and Superman together on the big screen for the first time was such a huge deal for me.

Wouldn't go that far, but I don't disagree entirely. Civil War is that good imo; easily best in the MCU. Both films with similar premises hitting at the same time invites the comparisons. And while I like BvS just fine, I can't front and say I wouldn't be ecstatic if it was CW quality. But had BvS come out last year, I believe it'd have held up better along its contemporaries. That said, to me nothing in MoS and BvS warrants a burn it all down response. Fox's X-Men and the MCU managed to course correct after shaky periods. While the apprehension of Snyder and the creative team returning for Justice League is understandable, thus far we've only seen one man's vision.

I'll add, there's about to be a heck of a lot of think pieces in the coming days and weeks about the two movies.

MisterHero

Wouldn't go that far, but I don't disagree entirely. Civil War is that good imo; easily best in the MCU. Both films with similar premises hitting at the same time invites the comparisons. And while I like BvS just fine, I can't front and say I wouldn't be ecstatic if it was CW quality. But had BvS come out last year, I believe it'd have held up better along its contemporaries. That said, to me nothing in MoS and BvS warrants a burn it all down response. Fox's X-Men and the MCU managed to course correct after shaky periods. While the apprehension of Snyder and the creative team returning for Justice League is understandable, thus far we've only seen one man's vision.

I'll add, there's about to be a heck of a lot of think pieces in the coming days and weeks about the two movies.
Cap 2 was a burn it all down move IMO. They realized that their overarching SHIELD plot was weaksauce, so HYDRA took over. It even saved Agents of SHIELD show from being a Monster-of-the-Week thing that Mutant Enemy was so familiar with.
I miss Buffy on TV :p

Even if they were happy with SHIELD before that movie, flipping the status quo that much showed they had balls. Digitized Arnim Zola was awesome. Cap's resolution with Peggy was awesome. It is everything that a certain other MCU movie is not.

The DCCU could do such a reversal, and I think it's likely. The heroes are morally and/or physically weaksauce without each other, uniting will lead to the proverbial Camelot.

BvS even made that allusion in the first 5 minutes, I'd be really surprised if they didn't plan it.

Goddamn, the juxtaposition of Zorro, the lone warrior, and the Knights of the Round Table was really freaking cool. Excalibur was going to debut the following week, but the Waynes' murder completely shut Bruce off from that world.

I read on Wiki that Excalibur is a divisive movie; I should look it up on Netflix though. Edit: It's not available for streaming! Damn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom