• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazo is just too silly of a name, lol.

Also I hated his OPness in the DCAU. He was the one who gained all the powers ever then went off to be a god and came back and Lex had to talk him out of blowing up the planet right?

Isn't Braniac the better example?

It felt like a major oversight to not introduce Braniac in Man of Steel's intro. Not even as an upfront villain or anything, just have him in the Krypton scenes doing stuff. Then later on you can explain that it was really him that killed Uncle Ben on the down low when it becomes time for him to be the villain in a future movie.

ReiGun

It felt like a major oversight to not introduce Braniac in Man of Steel's intro. Not even as an upfront villain or anything, just have him in the Krypton scenes doing stuff. Then later on you can explain that it was really him that killed Uncle Ben on the down low when it becomes time for him to be the villain in a future movie.

That little robot thing could have been Brainiac.

Thematically, I'm partial to the idea of another hero-villain. Black Adam, Sinestro, Orm, or even Darkseid a little twisted to represent heroism warped into totalitarian rule or vengeance. Mainly, I want any Injustice or Justice Lords scenario put to rest by challenging it now.

Also I hated his OPness in the DCAU. He was the one who gained all the powers ever then went off to be a god and came back and Lex had to talk him out of blowing up the planet right?

nah, he came back to kill Luthor, then Luthor is like you don't know what to do with all of your power, then their best friends then Amazo decides to study with Dr. Fate.

guek

Banned

Seriously. WTF, Snyder. Of all the backstory trappings to jettison...

I can't remember, are we even given a throwaway excuse as to why Krypton isn't evacuated prior to its demise? Having Brainiac dupe the council until it was too late would have made so much sense.

Isn't Braniac the better example?

Eh, Ultron and Brainiac are very similar on paper but I'd argue they're actually more different than say Darkseid and Thanos. Brainiac is cold, calculating intelligence driven by the pursuit of ultimate knowledge whereas Ultron is a walking contradiction of insanity born from ego.

IMO getting Ultron "right" is a sight more difficult because he's such a foil for Hank Pym (or Tony Stark in the MCU) while also tiptoeing between pure menace and absurd camp. He really is a nightmare Pinocchio story. Brainiac in comparison should be a much more straightforward adversary.

MisterHero

You can't use Amazo.

First of all he can use the League's powers. Second of all, Superman's powers in the wrong hands would really be destructive. Thirdly, Superman has to equal his power without causing collateral damage. The other 5 or 6 of the League could all be put on civilian rescue duty. Green Lantern and Flash could move/shield everyone.

In fact, Superman can't fight anyone anymore.

I can't remember, are we even given a throwaway excuse as to why Krypton isn't evacuated prior to its demise? Having Brainiac dupe the council until it was too late would have made so much sense.
Brainiac is Coluan, not Kryptonian. TAS and Smallville use him differently, but other races could be interesting too.

Krypton in Man of Steel is ruled by absolute bureaucracy. The culture is perpetuated by the absolute height of both religion and science. They also wanted to explore the universe, but 1) their resources ran out, or 2) something else happened (aliens attacked, Eradicator exists, etc.)

In the comics, some Kryptonians started to branch out and turned into an entire civilization of xenophobes. The Daxamites became conquerers. The Eradicator stopped them by making them weak to lead.

All sorts of things could happen. Maybe they discovered what yellow stars could do to them but Krypton was like, "No, we are not leaving this planet!" and purposely killed all the colonies.

Btw the World Engine could be a reference to Mongul

Not really, it's more the classic excuse of merely that nobody believed it until it was too late and it was happening much sooner than expected. There was enough fuzziness that we can assume that potentially a few people might have evacuated, just not lots. There was time between Jor El warning the council, the coup failing, and their being sent to the phantom zone, I like to assume there was a few days there although that's just my idea, it's not like the movie establishes a firm timeline. I guess it's possible they shipped them right back immediately and it was literally like 1 hour later that they got banished to the phantom zone.

The Kryptonians abandoned their colonies for an inward focus and while they do have space technology it doesn't seem like they would have had a lot of transports on hand at short notice. Zod's stuff was allegedly cobbled together, the phantom zone generator was mcguyverred into a phantom drive and the rest of the stuff was reclaimed technology from the glory days of the empire.

We can assume Braniac was there behind the scenes misleading them deliberately and he knew about it, they can definitely retcon that in, but it would have been nice if it was there from the start.

a916

Eh, Ultron and Brainiac are very similar on paper but I'd argue they're actually more different than say Darkseid and Thanos. Brainiac is cold, calculating intelligence driven by the pursuit of ultimate knowledge whereas Ultron is a walking contradiction of insanity born from ego.

IMO getting Ultron "right" is a sight more difficult because he's such a foil for Hank Pym (or Tony Stark in the MCU) while also tiptoeing between pure menace and absurd camp. He really is a nightmare Pinocchio story. Brainiac in comparison should be a much more straightforward adversary.

Oh I just meant on a superficial level. Where Ultron really exists everywhere, so does Braniac to an extent. Their motives are way different, but their skillset is similar. Brainiac done right and getting that feeling that he's everywhere but no where is something that AOU faltered on with Ultron. Ultron copies because like Power Ranger putties and him being there smack dab in the middle was so stupid considering he could be anywhere he wanted to be.

no, but the kryptonian government is basically an analogue the USgovernment. Some of the council may believe it to be happening but at the same enough people don't believe it to gridlock any progress.

Staf

This cinematic universe could use some silliness. So damn dreary it's depressing to watch.

This cinematic universe could use some silliness. So damn dreary it's depressing to watch.

there's a movie coming in august for that then. and flash. and shazam too.

i hope snyder stays the course in the tone because honestly the first 20 minutes of BvS is one of the best superhero movies of all time. But once he has to tell a story and handle the plot threads the film shits itself.

Zack is so good at iconography but he frankly sucks at storytelling, or dramatic scenes. Basically anything involving dialogue is pretty off in all of his movies imo. More silliness would have gotten better word of mouth and repeat viewings but at the end of the day his faults as a filmmaker would still remain.

I am excited for his justice league movie out of sheer curiosity. I'm not expecting a good movie at all, still i'm pretty damn interested what he attempts with it. I don't think it will be anything like other superhero team up films, the prospect of that is kinda exciting.

edit: fwiw though I think terrio mentioned JL will be lighter in tone.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
You know how in Avengers they were fighting each other for a moment before teaming up? JL will be just that, 2.5 hours of the JL-members fighting each other to the death. With Batman as the winner of course. Standing above all.

Can't wait.
seriously, I wouldn't mind.

I would have liked Black Adam + Vandal Savage, the double ancient threat duo. Have Vandal make an omac army from intel retrieved from Waller after the events of suicide squad.

So then the climax scene would be WW, Superman & Aquaman fight Adam (trying to convert him into a hero, while Adam stays honorable by not killing Civilians but still listens to Vandal) while Flash/Cyborg run around saving people/fighting omac's and Batman tracks Vandal down to have a crazy ass martial arts fight. Ends with Vandal revealing to having killed Adam's family (kind of his own version of Lex Luthor, manipulating him :p), Adam surrendering, and then a creation of a new champion to cut Adam's power in half. Would tie into Shazam perfectly, using the Rock as another big draw to the JL film. Unfortunately none of this could happen because of the rock's schedule of d-tier films :(.

Orm + Starro would be cool too.

guek

Banned
We can assume Braniac was there behind the scenes misleading them deliberately and he knew about it, they can definitely retcon that in, but it would have been nice if it was there from the start.

A retcon would be nice, though unlikely until some time after JL2. Maybe we'll get a MoS sequel without Snyder (watch as they bring in someone like Brett Ratner instead lol)

Oh I just meant on a superficial level. Where Ultron really exists everywhere, so does Braniac to an extent. Their motives are way different, but their skillset is similar. Brainiac done right and getting that feeling that he's everywhere but no where is something that AOU faltered on with Ultron. Ultron copies because like Power Ranger putties and him being there smack dab in the middle was so stupid considering he could be anywhere he wanted to be.

Yeah, as much as I enjoyed AoU, it was full of missed opportunities.

no, but the kryptonian government is basically an analogue the USgovernment. Some of the council may believe it to be happening but at the same enough people don't believe it to gridlock any progress.

Krypton was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I mean at least say what it is so people don't just click on it and get a cool moment ruined by shitty quality.

Wonder Woman's entrance in BvS

Yeah, too bad it's not HD. Hope they'll upload a better version of it. I saw the movie 4 times in theaters and every single time people cheered and clapped at that moment. sogood.gif

IconGrist

BvS tonight. Civil War in exactly one week. Sorry for those who didn't like BvS but I did and I'm sure I'll like CW too so it's been a good month for me.

IconGrist

Just out of curiosity, do you do this for every movie you really like? Personally, I just watch a movie I love twice at most in theaters then buy the Blu-Ray later.

Oh yeah. I'll likely see Civil War a few times as well. Assuming I like it of course but I doubt there's a chance I won't.

Deadpool is the only movie in recent memory I really liked but only saw once. But that was just due to lack of time during its run.

IconGrist

Would have been better if she had chopped Batmans head off.

Question. Seeing as you're a fellow Superman fan.

Did it come off as hilariously absurd to you as it did to me that pretty much everyone involved in the Doomsday battle is partly responsible for Superman's death?

Batman brought the kryptonite weapon.
Wonder Woman cut off the limb that creates the spike then fails to contain Doomsday at a pivotal moment.
Batman pollutes the area with kryptonite gas which we know has a lasting but temporary effect.
Lois almost kills herself trying to get the krypronite weapon that Superman has to get and use himself.

DaveH

...everyone involved in the Doomsday battle is partly responsible for Superman's death?
Never noted that but I guess it plays into:

"
He died for and forgave our sins.
"

I think all the muddiness, uncertainty, and misunderstanding is supposed to lead up to
this single moment of pure sacrifice where he does it regardless of how stupid, cruel, wrong, petty, complicit, etc. you were in his death. That's the thing that gets crystallized and honored in his death. It's the thing that gets immortalized as the superhero... the ideal everyone aspires to and is inspired by.

Firemind

Don't know about best moment, but it was awesome as hell. I went nuts in the theater, gotta be honest.
At least I personally didn't have a similar fistpump feeling in any of the Nolan Batman films, but to be fair they were more grounded. Can't wait for the WW solo! Even the opening credits is something out of this world. I think the only other scene in superhero movies that compares is when Tony Stark goes rambo in the terrorist camp, flies out and his shoddily built suit breaks in a million pieces on impact. That was a great moment for him. None of the other movies really captured his vulnerabilities as a man. Even during his heroic moment in Avengers, it didn't have any sort od dramatic impact on me because I never had any doubt he would survive. Also it was stupid as hell.

a916

20th Century Fox is not presenting anything at ComicCon at Hall H.

DC can step up and again steal the show if they want to.

20th Century Fox will not showcase its upcoming movie releases in Hall H at San Diego Comic-Con this year.

The studio feels it cannot prevent the piracy of custom trailers and exclusive footage routinely screened for fans in attendance, an individual familiar with the decision told TheWrap.

Reports TheWrap

20th Century Fox is not presenting anything at ComicCon at Hall H.

DC can step up and again steal the show if they want to.

Reports TheWrap

What a shitty excuse. Welcome to 2016, get with the times. Outside of SS, WB did the right thing releasing their footage within minutes on YouTube last year.

Yeah, they need to stream the whole even + all the footage to the internet on Youtube & Twitch. I don't actually believe that people go there to see the snippets. They want to see the actors & directors and ask questions.

Yeah, they need to stream the whole even + all the footage to the internet on Youtube & Twitch. I don't actually believe that people go there to see the snippets. They want to see the actors & directors and ask questions.

Agreed. If they are paranoid about showing unfinished footage, which is ironic considering they're showing it to the most vocal and jaded crowd, they should just throw in a huge "This promotional material uses unfinished effects and scenes and is not representative of the final product" tag before the footage starts like game demos.

Loxley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al0-ks6nRBY

:D :D :D

Best moment in any superhero movie ever. Period. That was just awesome.

I'll be honest, I don't really like Wonder Woman's theme. It's cool in the moment, but to me it doesn't fit the character in general. Being more or less a demigod from a world inspired by ancient Greece, I always imagined her having something more grand and majestic sounding, as opposed to a sick guitar riff.

Actually, you know what? The Gladiator soundtrack is almost exactly what I hear when I picture Wonder Woman. Ancient, otherworldly, powerful, and beautiful.

a916

Agreed. If they are paranoid about showing unfinished footage, which is ironic considering they're showing it to the most vocal and jaded crowd, they should just throw in a huge "This promotional material uses unfinished effects and scenes and is not representative of the final product" tag before the footage starts like game demos.

They did that before X-Men Apocalypse and it didn't help the storm that followed with Ivan Ooze comparisons.

I'll be honest, I don't really like Wonder Woman's theme. It's cool in the moment, but to me it doesn't fit the character in general. Being more or less a demigod from a world inspired by ancient Greece, I always imagined her having something more grand and majestic sounding, as opposed to a sick guitar riff.

I keep hearing Immigrant Song, which should be a compliment! Just, it feels off.

ReiGun

They did that before X-Men Apocalypse and it didn't help the storm that followed with Ivan Ooze comparisons.
Yeah, audiences don't really appreciate things like "test footage" and "we only started shooting like a month ago." As far as they're concerned, if you show something, it better be 100% on point. Circumstances be damned.

Suicide Squad came with a much more polished trailer. X-Men really was barely ready to show, but I guess with comic Con going on, Fox felt obligated to show something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom