• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dysun

20th Century Fox is not presenting anything at ComicCon at Hall H.

DC can step up and again steal the show if they want to.

Reports TheWrap

Crappy but doesnt seem like FOX has anything to show this year anyway, outside of announcements

Penguin

20th Century Fox is not presenting anything at ComicCon at Hall H.

DC can step up and again steal the show if they want to.

Reports TheWrap

I also think much like e3, companies are getting wise to the fact that they don't need a singular, central event to showcase their movies... and in Fox's case... the first reactions to X-Men stuff was negative so understand why would shy away from that

ryan299

Pic from WW set.
ChJzxvuWMAAbB2Z.jpg:large

KonradLaw

Is it really stealing the show if no one else turns up?

Sure. I mean the
"Your Honor, the doors to that man's house were wide open and nobody was home. So I went in and took the TV. Is it really stealing?"

Wouldn't work as a valid criminal defense before the judge. :D

I'd rather see WW tie into
Aquaman or Shazam. Both make more lore sense than Batman, but I understand that it's for Justice League. Feel like Atlantis and the Amazons should have an old world connection, and of course Shazam is powered by the Greek Gods so I'd love to see the Wizard show up. Hell they could do a pseudo flash point storyline mixed with throne of atlnatis where the Amazons and the Atlantians go to war with each other, with Orm and Circe or Ares manipulating everything.

If I was shooting for narrative efficiency and trying to tie all of the properties together, I'd say that Krypton's golden age scientists were on earth messing with primate evolution, producing anatomically modern human beings in their image. Then, when the empire contracted and abandoned its outposts and colonies, some groups of Kryptonians were trapped on Earth, which became the Amazons and the Atlanteans.

But I think they'll go with a more conventional explanation and actually just include magic.

KonradLaw

Ramin Djawadi needs to get into DC. You could bassicaly use his Person of Interest soundtrack in Batman movie and it would fit perfectly.

a916

Now that it's died down... how come when Batman showed up in SS set photos everyone was like OMG BATMAN IS EVERYWHERE DC DESPERATE... but when Tony Stark was announced for Spider-Man, everyone was championing Marvel for being so smart?

Magwik

Banned
Mayimbe rumored George Miller to direct Green Lantern Corps.
Miller and Lantern Constructs? Lawd. LAWD
Now that it's died down... how come when Batman showed up in SS set photos everyone was like OMG BATMAN IS EVERYWHERE DC DESPERATE... but when Tony Stark was announced for Spider-Man, everyone was championing Marvel for being so smart?
The circumstances surrounding the respective films are different.

In a sense, I'm as if not more excited for Batman in SS than I was for BvS. It's Batman in his element.

You know, I don't buy into the rushed complaints and needing a whole film of setup for each character. But the suggestion of having SS release prior to BvS wasn't half-bad. Although that in itself is hindsight. Bats in BvS is a mess of a man; him at his worst.

IconGrist

Marvel as a company doesn't push Iron Man like he's the only character they own. DC pushes Batman that way.

Firemind

Will Tony be a father figure to Peter? I don't quite understand why he would meddle with NY's street level villains. It's kind of funny if they think Spidey can't carry a movie on his own.

Civil War is a pretty great CBM. My favourtie MCU movie so far, 9/10.

Sorry if the MCU talk is bothering you guys, will not talk more about it in here.

SJRB

Gold Member
Marvel as a company doesn't push Iron Man like he's the only character they own. DC pushes Batman that way.

...right. So RDJ appearing in a standalone Spider-Man movie after three solo movies, two Avengers movies and Civil War is cool, but Battfleck appearing in Suicide Squad after BvS is "pushing Batman".

BadAss2961

Batman's being placed in spots where he should be. BvS obviously, Suicide Squad, Justice League, and his standalones.

Marvel's going out of bounds with getting Iron Man so involved in Spider-Man. They made dude part of the origin, even down to Spidey's gear i've heard.

And let's face it, it's not "Iron Man" that's being pushed. It's RDJ. At least when you push Batman, it's because he's Batman and not some actor that overshadows the character. lol

IconGrist

...right. So RDJ appearing in a standalone Spider-Man movie after three solo movies, two Avengers movies and Civil War is cool, but Battfleck appearing in Suicide Squad after BvS is "pushing Batman".

I don't mean just the movies. Iron Man isn't pushed like that outside of the movies. Batman is like 90% of all what DC does.

shingi70

Banned
If I was shooting for narrative efficiency and trying to tie all of the properties together, I'd say that Krypton's golden age scientists were on earth messing with primate evolution, producing anatomically modern human beings in their image. Then, when the empire contracted and abandoned its outposts and colonies, some groups of Kryptonians were trapped on Earth, which became the Amazons and the Atlanteans.

But I think they'll go with a more conventional explanation and actually just include magic.

I'm so glad hey didn't go with the everyone is Kryptonian angle.

KonradLaw

That's because he's ten times better than anyone Marvel has. And I don't mean in the silly "my superhero is cooler than yours", but about how he was developed. Between the whole Bat family, Gotham itself and the rogues gallery Batman can actually support so many series as a brand, because at this point he essentially is a whole complete superhero universe that just happens to exist inside larger DC one,

shingi70

Banned
They'd be long lost cousins and would still have unique cultures many thousands of years old. It's just shorthand for why they're also super strong and can do all this super shit.

They can do super shit cause their Amazon's powered by the Greek Gods and the Alanteons are an ofd shoot of humanity.

It's as bad as the Thor Gods being super advanced science and not magic.

KonradLaw

Because people foolishly thought Batfleck would be dissapoiting. Now that the world has seen how awesome he is most people want more of him. His appearance in SS only increases the hype and people are getting hard-ons for Affleck's solo Bat movie.

It's weird, I thought they were going hand in hand with canon on a lot of things when they actually had Katana with a magical soul sucking sword, and then Jimmy Olsen ends up being an undercover CIA agent, just weird. I enjoyed BvS but it's pretty much an elseword story at this point instead of an adaptation of any particular era of DC. If anything, it's most similar to injustice with the evil Superman setup in the Knightmare sequence.

I'd prefer there actually be divine beings and Greek Gods over some pseudo scientific explanation. A big part of Diana's theme is Greek mythology and all of that would be brushed away with a scientific origin. Like how would you explain Mount Olympus, Medusa or Chimera's/Greek Creatures with a kryptonian origin. It just seems more wacky and convoluted than just saying they're Greek Gods.

I can't remember if it's just a rumor or not, but I think Atlanteans were going to be connected to Poseidon, and Aquaman was going to be related to WW in some way.

shingi70

Banned
It's weird, I thought they were going hand in hand with canon on a lot of things when they actually had Katana with a magical soul sucking sword, and then Jimmy Olsen ends up being an undercover CIA agent, just weird. I enjoyed BvS but it's pretty much an elseword story at this point instead of an adaptation of any particular era of DC. If anything, it's most similar to injustice with the evil Superman setup in the Knightmare sequence.

I'd prefer there actually be divine beings and Greek Gods over some pseudo scientific explanation. A big part of Diana's theme is Greek mythology and all of that would be brushed away with a scientific origin. Like how would you explain Mount Olympus, Medusa or Chimera's/Greek Creatures with a kryptonian origin. It just seems more wacky and convoluted than just saying they're Greek Gods.

I can't remember if it's just a rumor or not, but I think Atlanteans were going to be connected to Poseidon, and Aquaman was going to be related to WW in some way.

Well all movie universes are elseworlds by the very Definition of the term.

Effect

I really don't understand where people get the idea that the movies would be one to one adaptions for comic stories. That's never been the case for any comic book movie or even movie based on a game. Do people think Marvel are adapting things 100% faithfully? News for people they most certainly aren't and never have.

We've only come close to this with the animated DC films and even then they're different due to time.

Dead

well not really...yet
A pretty nice point of view article about Superman's character across MoS and BvS:

http://screenrant.com/batman-v-superman-best-story-movie/

Naturally, he chose the father who promised the greater mission – where Jonathan’s promised an identity crisis and life in isolation – and emerged as ‘Superman,’ Earth’s god-like protector from another world. After completely (and severely) dealing with invading aliens who embodied everything that actually should be feared about outsiders or demigods (like Jonathan Kent expected), the movie ended on a high note: Clark accepting his mission, and setting out to be the hero Jor-El hoped he would be.

But by then, Batman V Superman shows us, things had already started to go very, very wrong.

It’s as ‘meta’ as a Superman story can get: the Man of Steel learns that being a hero isn’t as simple, colorful, or as much fun as it used to be. And in a racially, religiously, politically, and morally conflicted world like our own, even ‘doing the right thing’ can come at a price and negative impact to someone, somewhere. Where Superman intervenes in modern nations or conflicts, people die – and those who mistrust him don’t wait to learn the specifics, simply accept it as proof of their suspicions.

If the movie didn’t have to contend with introducing a brand new Batman, or planting seeds of the DCEU, the questions raised in these scenes could have been given more room to breathe – and could be explored more clearly in the R-rated Dawn of Justice cut. Forget a superhero: how does a country decide when it’s called to intervene on foreign soil? When does sovereignty take a backseat to human rights, or compassion? Those are the questions being posed to a single farmboy from Kansas, who is realizing everyday that his adopted father’s words may have been true, and exposing himself to a world that now fears him is a bell that can’t be un-rung.

Casual comic fans may not know, but in the pages of DC Comics, Superman’s body was laid to rest at his monument in Metropolis. It’s a decision that seems fitting until, like Lois Lane years later, you realize that Superman’s family was left with nothing to bury, resigned to commemorating his passing by burying a box of photos, and his baby shoes. But as Wonder Woman and Batman carry Superman’s body to where it belongs – the lap of the one who loved him most – the film makes the point clear in a single image: the body of Clark Kent, a Kansas farmboy laid to rest at home.

He was raised as a hero who would never be at peace, but in his last moments, found it. That’s the kind of sacrifice that should make sense to any man, and every hero. But delivered by Zack Snyder, it became the one sacrifice that only Superman could make – and in return, it’s the sacrifice that made his Superman.

Not so much 1:1 but things are wildly different. I can easily see it as character growth though, all three main characters underwent a transformation in the movie (Superman's acceptance of his role in the world, Lex going to prison and his mind being shattered by the archives, Batman being inspired by Superman and not branding Lex).

I do think Marvel benefits a bit from their movie properties not having a precedent in the public eye, there's no golden standard they have to live up to because their heroes were mostly no names when they got their movies. Of course it made the premise of selling them harder in the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom