• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan299

Good/Bad news. Seth Grahame-Smith exits the Flash over creative differences. Creative differences aren't great but the movie needs a good director. What I would do to be a fly on the wall in WB after BvS
THR

The project will retain Grahame-Smith’s script, which he wrote working off a treatment from Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, the Lego Movie duo that were once eyeing it as a possible directing vehicle.

Grahame-Smith still remains involved in other Warners project. He is a writer on the studio’s Lego Batman Movie and is working on Beetlejuice 2.

Ross61

Good/Bad news. Seth Grahame-Smith exits the Flash over creative differences. Creative differences aren't great but the movie needs a good director. What I would do to be a fly on the wall in WB after BvS
THR

What weird about this whole thing is that he was never officially announced as anything lmao.

Effect

Beetlejuice 2, what

Yup. Michael Keaton and Winona Ryder are both in it too. Still can't believe that's happening.

As for Seth Grahame-Smith he was never officially confirmed by anyone. I was surprised people kept talking as if he were.

a916

THR

For a studio that's all about director vision... that's a strange thing to happen...

Personally, I'm glad, first time director... that's such a needless gamble.

What are the consequences of outright replacing him vs. him leaving on his own? I could see WB drawing a hard line in the sand and being a pain in the ass trying to force him out if it was more beneficial for them.

Anyways, I see it as good news, he doesn't have much of a resume under his belt. They need people who have directing experience at a minimum now. It might have been possible if BvS hit huge and people liked it, but the gamble isn't worth it now.

ryan299

Jeff Sneider from the Wrap just tweeted that WB likes his script but wants a experienced director.

Faraci added that this is the first of many BvS aftershocks. Says Atlantis is the next one he's hearing. Snyder has single handedly destroyed this universe if true.

Dead

well not really...yet
Jeff Sneider from the Wrap just tweeted that WB likes his script but wants a experienced director.
seems about right. Way too big of a gamble to have this guy direct, wb need these movies to hit. Wonder who they will get to replace him though

IconGrist

Faraci added that this is the first of many BvS aftershocks. Says Atlantis is the next one he's hearing. Snyder has single handedly destroyed this universe if true.

I don't doubt at all that the WB suits are going to keep a closer eye on the DCEU. I'm sure they still want a different feel from the MCU but they don't want to be too risky.

a916

Shoddy track record and a coward/terrible person... don't know why this guy keeps getting brought up. He kept pushing that agenda with Suicide Squad re-shoots too. According to him the SS re-shoots was the first aftershock LOL.

Boke1879

Eh I'm still not buying much of Faraci's shit. But we can't say it "destroyed" the universe. If anything WB are putting a closer eye on shit which is what everyone expects honestly.

THR

I don't know how the movie would turn out, but tbh I wouldn't give any DC movie to a first time director at this point. They need someone more proven.

I wouldn't mind Shazam being swapped for Flash, the tv series is giving me enough Flash for now.

Draconian

lol never ceases to fail

Big DC story breaks and Faraci immediately gets drudged up. I mean how much bs does it take for people NOT to immediately post everything he says?

a916

lol never ceases to fail

Big DC story breaks and Faraci immediately gets drudged up. I mean how much bs does it take for people NOT to immediately post everything he says?

I love how now the narrative has turned to "this is only the first aftershock I've heard"...

You didn't hear crap, you mere commented after the report went live.

jackdoe

THR
I don't see how that can't be taken as anything but absolutely outstanding news. Someone at WB stopped snorting the coke and realized that handing a 150-200 million dollar, special effects driven, gigantic blockbuster movie to a first time director was an absolutely terrible idea. And it's great that it's this early instead of crazy, down to the wire late when Paramount wised up to Roberto Orci and Star Trek Beyond.

a916

Alright guys, let's speculate who they might get to replace him for Flash.

My number one/two are:

Drew Goddard
Lord and Miller

Followed by, in no order, F Gary Grey, Gareth Evans and dream casting of Alfonso Cuaron

WB wanted Lord and Miller, that's why they signed the development deal with them for the Flash. But Lord and Miller decided to do the Han Solo prequel film instead so they're off the table.

Yeah, that's a dream casting... but it really depends on when Han Solo lands... if they can do it before or after, I think WB would be smart to shuffle that and bring Aquaman or Batman closer.

jackdoe

WB wanted Lord and Miller, that's why they signed the development deal with them for the Flash. But Lord and Miller decided to do the Han Solo prequel film instead so they're off the table.

Wonder Women lost their Director to creative differences too. They lost someone way better the Patty too.

Creative differences are going to be common in a share universe movies since they can't always make what they want.

Dead

well not really...yet
what a fucking waste of time and talent...ugh

guek

Banned
Wonder Women lost their Director to creative differences too. They lost someone way better the Patty too.

Creative differences are going to be common in a share universe movies since they can't always make what they want.

Yup. WB may be more director driven but they're still a major movie studio at the end of the day. Exerting some creative control isn't always a bad thing either.

I'm glad they're getting a new director, Grahame-Smith on Flash always left me worried.

Effect

I seriously wish people would not post his name here. Posting stuff from Hollywood reporter, etc is fine. Leave that ass out of it though.

Anyway remember how quickly WB announced who was directing Wonder Woman after the first director was said to have left. I imagine this Flash situation had happen weeks ago if he was actually working seriously working on the film. Remember nothing was ever announced and even he never confirmed anything when asked. I don't get how people are spinning this as a bad either. Smith directing was always questionable as he had no experience. It never made sense. No one was okay with that. Writing the story sure. Directing was something else.

WB also wants the director's style for the films. WB has their own outline and story ideas though for how they want things to proceed. That's where creative differences likely would present themselves. They want the director to make a film in their style but they very likely want a specific story with specific events to take place and for certain characters to appear and act a certain way.

Ross61

Just asking, but by what measure is MacLaren "way better" than Jenkins?

Ninjimbo

A pretty nice point of view article about Superman's character across MoS and BvS:

http://screenrant.com/batman-v-superman-best-story-movie/
That was a beautiful read. Thanks for sharing. Reading stuff like that reinforces my belief that BvS will be appreciated more down the road. There's a lot to read into if you just take the time to ponder about things, not to mention all the symbolism and parallels. Hopefully that director's cut gets to flesh out those ideas more so that more can enjoy it.

a916

Don't know how any of them fit the schedule, but Raimi, Evans, and Justin Lin came to mind first..

Probably won't end up with anyone that hypeworthy though.

Less hype worthy and more known property.

A pretty nice point of view article about Superman's character across MoS and BvS:

http://screenrant.com/batman-v-superman-best-story-movie/

This line just kills me (from the movie)...
I bet your parents taught you that you mean something, that you're here for a reason. My parents taught me a different lesson, dying in the gutter for no reason at all.

Ninjimbo

If Andrew Stanton wasn't busy with Finding Dory, I would have loved WB to get him for Flash. Don't know if Stanton cares about superheroes though.

Russo Brothers looks like a good pick for anything

i dunno about that yet. they seem to have a good handle on comic book stuff but i wanna see if they can make a good movie outside of that. their film credits before marvel were ass.

they should make a spy action film. would be nice to see them work outside of the constraints of established universes and source material.

3N16MA

Banned
Alright guys, let's speculate who they might get to replace him for Flash.

My number one/two are:

Drew Goddard
Lord and Miller

Followed by, in no order, F Gary Grey, Gareth Evans and dream casting of Alfonso Cuaron

Yeah, that's a dream casting... but it really depends on when Han Solo lands... if they can do it before or after, I think WB would be smart to shuffle that and bring Aquaman or Batman closer.

Way too busy. They are writing the LEGO Movie sequel, writing an animated Spider-Man film, directing Han Solo film.

So he quote tweeted about The Flash director quitting without ever having said anything about it before. I don't believe that a guy like him can sit on such information without gleefully spreading it around. And now he's pushing a whole new fabricated narrative that this is the "first of the aftershocks". I don't get how someone with a popular website and 30K+ Twitter followers can be such a petty, vindictive fanboy. It's utterly baffling to me.

vm34Dls.png

HMCtZrK.png

guek

Banned
I don't get how someone with a popular website and 30K+ Twitter followers can be such a petty, vindictive fanboy. It's utterly baffling to me.

The only reason he gets away with it is because he has actual, bonafide contacts that allow him to gossip. People are fascinated by rumors and gossip and so he's got a strong general pull there on top of other petty, vindictive fanboys who get off in the same way he does.

He's also not a bad writer most of the time even if what he writes isn't at all trying to be objective.

About directors leaving. I wouldn't worry too much, Marvel had directors leave as well for creative differences.

As for Faraci, if you guys don't like his stuff, don't post it here. You guys always mention him and how we shouldn't listen, but keep posting what's he gotta say. Just ignore him and go to the threads in off topic instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom