• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man when are set pics from Justice League going to leak.

They'll be few and far between if Zack was telling the truth during the BvS press tour. He commented on shooting most of it on the sound stages in London and constructing street sets there because shutting down streets in cities is a huge pain.

jey_16

Banned
You would think with all the talent at WB's disposal, they would be able to turn out a decent film. When you look at the cast and crew of BvS, I really don't know what happened....was Snyder the reason or was it studio interference?

Then Marvel comes out getting hit after hit with apparent scrubs, have to hand it to them, they know what they are doing

kmfdmpig

Not to imply Snyder isn't all about being "EDGY", but to be fair he is speaking from the perspective of when he is a kid, and it's far from an uncommon sentiment from geeks growing up reading comics, especially in the late 80s/early 90s.

I agree that it's a bit much to look at that as some smoking gun of him being incapable now. It was from 2008 and he mentions his mindset with the caveat that "he was a bit broken in that way".

Then Marvel comes out getting hit after hit with apparent scrubs, have to hand it to them, they know what they are doing

Marvel has literal formula their movies follow, the only movies that really stray from it are the Original Iron Man, in which the formula had yet to be established, incredible hulk because of Norton and Ant-Man only because of Wright. Haven't seen Civil War yet.

MisterHero

If you accept American comics as modern mythology then there's all levels of light and dark that can be used. Granted, DC limited their direction by invoking Darkseid too early.

Sexing and killing are things humans do, and they are things that happen all the time in [Greek] mythology. If you don't let it into your heart then all you have is weak shit for kids.

Kids movies can be great too. They don't have to overrule other approaches by default though.

Civil War praise would mean more if critics didn't pass every single Marvel movie.

Nah. If you look at metacritic ratings most Marvel films peak at like low 70s. Many of the wack ones like thors and ant man in 60s or below

This one is getting a higher average. And it seems to be embracing melodrama too so I'm actually surprisingly excited for it.

According to IGN, the Russos said Marvel pushed for Civil War after the studio found out about BvS.

Im not saying they paid off reviewers, none of that, but....

They may have a vested interest in the failure of BvS.

Lets talk...

Maddocks

They pushed Marvel to not become stale and mundane by giving people the same movie over and over and over. BVS according to the Russo bros was the kick in the pants to be bold and try different things.

They pushed Marvel to not become stale and mundane by giving people the same movie over and over and over. BVS according to the Russo bros was the kick in the pants to be bold and try different things.
Thabks for further clarification. I think a little competition is a good thing, but you never know ehat these studios are thinking.

They'll be few and far between if Zack was telling the truth during the BvS press tour. He commented on shooting most of it on the sound stages in London and constructing street sets there because shutting down streets in cities is a huge pain.
Man. I hope they don't do too much CG then, making the background practical effects and the Heros powers CGI. Makes it look me genuine in my opinion.

Nolan would've close all the streets for like 10 seconds of film time, but I guess I should stop comparing him to Nolan. I just hate too much CGI

Cipherr

Man. I hope they don't do too much CG then, making the background practical effects and the Heros powers CGI. Makes it look me genuine in my opinion.

Nolan would've close all the streets for like 10 seconds of film time, but I guess I should stop comparing him to Nolan. I just hate too much CGI

I didn't like MoS nor BvS but one thing is constant, they look fucking amazing. And are miles above the cinematography and visual design of anything Fox Marvel and whoever are putting out.

Nothing comes close except...

Whelp. WB/DC during Nolans TDK trilogy.

theory-the-joker-was-actually-the-hero-gotham-deserved-in-the-dark-knight-553446.jpg

med_1411413271_1396253572_image.jpg

Now I'm not one of those 'Marvel looks like TV lololol1" guys, but there is a definite difference. Never in this history of evers has someone paused an X Men or MCU movie to take in the beauty of a shot. But I'll bet that shit happens a lot during WB/DC's latest.

What's interesting is the market has shown that... well it doesn't necessarily give a fuck about great cinematography in superhero films (Avengers box office) so you have to wonder (and thank) who is behind keeping WB pursuing such a high mark in that area. If they wanted to cut corners to save a buck, that would be the logical place to start shearing.

Even suicide squad looks great so far.

Yeah Nolan batmans look fantastic (the best looking of all comic book movies easily, Nolan/Pfister killed it). Some shots in BvS were particularly great as well.

Also another WB film that looked on point was Singer's Superman. That is shot so well. Which is strange considering his work on X-Men isn't nearly as good looking (and he uses the same cinematographer)

I didn't like MoS nor BvS but one thing is constant, they look fucking amazing. And are miles above the cinematography and visual design of anything Fox Marvel and whoever are putting out.

Nothing comes close except...

Whelp. WB/DC during Nolans TDK trilogy.

Now I'm not one of those 'Marvel looks like TV lololol1" guys, but there is a definite difference. Never in this history of evers has someone paused an X Men or MCU movie to take in the beauty of a shot. But I'll bet that shit happens a lot during WB/DC's latest.

What's interesting is the market has shown that... well it doesn't necessarily give a fuck about great cinematography in superhero films (Avengers box office) so you have to wonder (and thank) who is behind keeping WB pursuing such a high mark in that area. If they wanted to cut corners to save a buck, that would be the logical place to start shearing.

Even suicide squad looks great so far.

I didn't mind the way Winter Soldier or GotG looked. I thought a lot of BvS was too CGIy for me. Nolan's Batman flicks are some of the best for lots of reasons.

KonradLaw

You would think with all the talent at WB's disposal, they would be able to turn out a decent film. When you look at the cast and crew of BvS, I really don't know what happened....was Snyder the reason or was it studio interference?

Yeah, if you look at BvS the talent is obviously there. It's not one of those bad movies where everything is bad. THere's actually a lot of good stuff there. There are some greats shots, awesome action scenes, the dialogue is sprinkled with some incredible lines, the art design rocks, acting is often top notch, the music delivers and it made people hungry for more Batman and Wondy.

it just somehow never gels into a great movie. THe pieces are there, but there's also a lot of bad stuff there and it's all weirdly connected.

It's rare occurence, because usually when movie is bad it's all around bad. A lot of elements that BvS is made off deliver, but it just never translates to overall good movie.

jey_16

Banned
Yeah, if you look at BvS the talent is obviously there. It's not one of those bad movies where everything is bad. THere's actually a lot of good stuff there. There are some greats shots, awesome action scenes, the dialogue is sprinkled with some incredible lines, the art design rocks, acting is often top notch, the music delivers and it made people hungry for more Batman and Wondy.

it just somehow never gels into a great movie. The pieces are there, but there's also a lot of bad stuff there and it's all weirdly connected.

It's rare occurence, because usually when movie is bad it's all around bad. A lot of elements that BvS is made off deliver, but it just never translates to overall good movie.

i'm hoping to see it again for a second time before it leaves theatres....i almost think all the negativity around the time of release already influenced my opinion of it before i saw it on opening day almost like a hive mind

maybe its not as bad as i remember, did not feel like this at all with MoS though which i enjoyed and couldn't wait to see it again. If anything, BvS has made me appreciate it even more, the fathers/son relationship was so good and it connects you to Superman/Clark while in BvS, even though Batfleck was good, since how he came to be was basically confined to the credits, i didn't form an emotional bond with his character. I know not many people wanted another origin story but i would have appreciated a bit more for Bruce....maybe we will get it in the solo film

IconGrist

My wife saw Wonder Woman's entrance in a youtube video yesterday. Soon as her music hit she looked at me and said, "We need to see this again." So we're going again Thursday, lol.

I think someone at marvel cursed Snyder. Whenever he talks shit about a marvel character, its movie makes huge profits. Thor, Captain America and Ant Man have all been multi million dollar, sequel spawning successes. Following this logic, if Snyder begins proclaiming that Suicide Squad is gutter trash, and will be the worst movie of the year, it will do 1 billion easy.

IconGrist

I think someone at marvel cursed Snyder. Whenever he talks shit about a marvel character, its movie makes huge profits. Thor, Captain America and Ant Man have all been multi million dollar, sequel spawning successes. Following this logic, if Snyder begins proclaiming that Suicide Squad is gutter trash, and will be the worst movie of the year, it will do 1 billion easy.

When did he talk shit about those three?

Civil War praise would mean more if critics didn't pass every single Marvel movie.

LOL c'mon dude, I like DC too, but no need for weak r/DC_Cinematic-type salt like this. I'm sure you and every DC fan under the stars would be ecstatic if Justice League/Suicide Squad turned out to be critical hits.

Let's just move on from.the previous two duds and hope for the best. Thankfully, SS is looking probably good. I am certainly less optimistic for the likes of the Flash and Cyborg, if the latter actually happens.

When did he talk shit about those three?

This was a few years before MoS came out. He mentioned Superman (to that point) not having had another movie yet, while Thor, Cap and Iron Man had movies out:

"I’m a fan of 'Iron Man' movies, but really? 'Iron Man,' a whole franchise of movies, 'Iron Man 4'? Fair enough, but the fact that we don’t have a 'Superman' movie in the midst of this is crazy," Snyder said of the current super-hero movie craze. "It's would be like if we were making a movie about all the greek gods, but no one had made a movie about Zeus because they’re like, 'I don’t know what to do with him, he’s too awesome.' We’re at this point where all of these minor Gods have movies and franchises, and it just seems to me that it’s time to fix that."

"He is the biggest superhero on the planet, the father of every superhero. I'm like really 'Thor'? Like really? It's like the world is out of balance. It's like we lost our mind here people, 'Come on.'"

IconGrist

This was a few years before MoS came out. He mentioned Superman (to that point) not having had another movie yet, while Thor, Cap and Iron Man had movies out:

He's not talking shit. He just thought it was a little crazy no one could get a Superman movie off the ground while Iron Man and Thor movies were out making money.

His Ant-Man comment was saying that once the superhero movie craze dies out you will still see Batman and Superman movies while the B-tier guys like Ant-Man would be nowhere to be found.

You'd have to be looking to twist his words to turn them into talking shit.

His meaning around Ant-Man is in a sense proven true by the performance of BvS in spite of the negative critical reception. $850mil is under-performing for Batman&Superman, true, but one could attribute what it's made to its brand.

Hey I'm not saying a Black Widow movie would be high art or anything, but compared to Thor, as far as I'm concerned the only was is up.

Thor movies so disappointing because I love norse mythology and the concept & execution looks much better in the comics. Was disappointed when they said Ragnarok was going to be more funny and feature the hulk. I would have liked to see a more serious take on Thor relative to the other Marvel movies.

I'd pass on a black widow movie, but I think Marvel has weak solo female heroes like DC has weak solo black heroes. I don't read Marvel comics so I'm most likely wrong, my impressions are based off of what I've seen from other media. The only women hero I liked was Wasp and maybe Storm but not especially.

a916

Sounds like that message is direct towards WB and not Marvel... it reads to me like "How come we don't have a Superman movie but we have Iron Man sequels and Thor...

Which is an issue just about everyone has had with them... they were so incredibly gun shy after MOS... it took us 3 years to get another movie in the DCEU, terrible foresight by WB.

I get the feeling WB will hide Zack Snyder for a bit this years Hall H. Instead just focus on the characters people still love. Get thst Wonder Woman in there and give her more talking points to memorize than "shes such a powerful woman important woman character".

guek

Banned
I get the feeling WB will hide Zack Snyder for a bit this years Hall H. Instead just focus on the characters people still love. Get thst Wonder Woman in there and give her more talking points to memorize than "shes such a powerful woman important woman character".

tbh, I could see Snyder getting booed. Fans can be a crazy bunch.

a916

tbh, I could see Snyder getting booed. Fans can be a crazy bunch.

I would have to imagine the people that this movie went over with are the ones lining up overnight at Hall H... just wouldn't make sense to do that if you don't like the direction they are taking.

jackdoe

I would have to imagine the people that this movie went over with are the ones lining up overnight at Hall H... just wouldn't make sense to do that if you don't like the direction they are taking.
You'd have to be someone who absolutely hated this movie, and I mean hated to the level where it kept you awake at night, every day for months, and the very mention of it causes you to freak out and physically attack other people/cry into a pillow to wait on that godforsaken Hall H line overnight for the chance to get into a Justice League presentation just to boo Zack Snyder.

I wouldn't know why people would consider booing Synder, he has good intentions just no one is keeping him in a leash.

It's not his fault they left everything to him, hell if I had the support, crew, and was a director I would try to take DC forward. Although I would've had MoS 2 featuring batman and like Metallo or Lex, something small scale comapre to Zod

guek

Banned

Nah, the Hall H crowd is a different breed of fanboy. Snyder could show just the silhouettes of the League and they will go bonkers and you will see "Snyder da gawd" comments.

You guys are probably right but you're forgetting one thing.

Fanboys are crazy :p

nah, but you're right it's unlikely

If George Lucas can be welcomed like a God at Star Wars Celebration post-prequels (which he has), then I think Snyder will be just fine at Comic-Con.

It took longer than it should have for the Phantom Menace response to sour completely, probably because the internet wasn't widespread and people had to boil up their anger either alone or within closed circles of friends.

Can you imagine the internet hatestorm if it debuted today?

It took longer than it should have for the Phantom Menace response to sour completely, probably because the internet wasn't widespread and people had to boil up their anger either alone or within closed circles of friends.

"God, at least The Phantom Menace is fun and has some levity too it. They aren't afraid to crack a few jokes."

a916

I've always wondered... if that movie came out today, would the reviews be the same?

I mean, it was reviewed like a good movie, but it's treated as an abomination nowadays.

For that same merit, I wonder how well Return of the Jedi holds up (for me who has no nostalgia for the OT thinks it would review poorer than it did)

jackdoe

I've always wondered... if that movie came out today, would the reviews be the same?

I mean, it was reviewed like a good movie, but it's treated as an abomination nowadays.

For that same merit, I wonder how well Return of the Jedi holds up (for me who has no nostalgia for the OT thinks it would review poorer than it did)
If Empire Strikes Back was still released three years prior, I think it would do fine. It would have the goodwill left over from Empire, and it has far more good parts than bad parts, and the good parts are very good. So basically, it would be a Dark Knight Rises situation and would probably review closer to that film.

Depends if the CGI was updated honestly.

I mentioned it back in the BVS review thread (Snyder reiterated this answer on the Watchmen making-of), but yeah, this is the guy WB decided to let spear-head their big cinematic universe:

Giving Snyder a movie or two, I totally get, but the creative control he was given was clearly a tad much given his directorial sensibilities. It's why I'm both happy and still slightly nervous that WB will apparently be keeping a closer on eye on him with Justice League.

nothing wrong with that, Heavy Metal has awesome stories and art.

I am starting to think that some of you would rather have DCEU movies rate high critically than personally enjoy them.

jackdoe

nothing wrong with that, Heavy Metal has awesome stories and art.

I am starting to think that some of you would rather have DCEU movies rate high critically than personally enjoy them.
I completely agree, I'd rather a movie I enjoy that didn't review well critically than a movie that reviewed well critically that I hated. However, I didn't really enjoy Batman v Superman.

Justice League movie with Amazo as the main villain forcing the Justice League to unite

JL2 being titled "The Legion of Doom" with Luthor amassing a rogue's gallery to challenge the JL

JL3 being the arrival of Darkseid

I can dream, can't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom