• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draconian

Watched CW, a lot of similarities between the movies. I already compared both in the other thread. I liked it but I don't love it. I was never a big fan of hero v hero stuff but Marvel's take on it is better than their villains so far, the conflict in the movie felt real compared to throw away villains
which Zemo mostly is
so far.

There's absolutely nothing about Zemo that makes him interesting in his own right.
The only reason people say he's a good villain is because his plan actually works.
Rating him high on a MCU baddie scale just shows how terrible they've been on the whole.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'll make it super quick and I'll edit if people don't care to discuss it here any further. Civil War was alright, but I'm getting bored of the Marvel formula. A movie where I should've been ecstatic when the credits rolled, I was left with the feeling of "Yup, it was another Marvel movie." I know it's been a long running complaint, but could they finally hire some actual cinematographers? It was all so uninspired and generic.

I kind of have some hope for those movies going forward given that they've acknowledged they need to break away from the formula. Hopefully Dr. Strange feels a bit different from the norm.

civil war definitely tackles some very similar subject matter as BvS, but i wholeheartedly reject the idea that it fully realizes them on any real level. it brings up a lot of interesting questions and themes, but it completely abandons them about halfway through the movie. there is zero payoff thematically. it was a good movie, but it's really not doing anything more than any other good, fun marvel movie has done already

We're at a point where nobody on these comic films is a slouch. DoFP is rightly hyped for the Quicksilver scene but Singer's future war fights are killer. If there's an area I'd knock Snyder's action, it's his vehicle stuff. Didn't care for the batmobile scene at all.

Yeah. Singer was always God tier at individual hero action scenes like nightcrawler vs white house, wolverine vs the mansion invaders, superman rescuing the plane, quicksilver etc. But in dofp he finally got a damn good team sequence going too with the future scene.

Im pretty hyped about the stuff he'll pull off with the new xmen. Reviews start popping up tomorrow btw. People have seen it.

Dofp my favorite of the genre since TDK. Civil War second and Deadpool third. But if apocalypse is of similar quality to dofp then that's already knocking some movies down in ranking for me. Hearing that X2 theme again in theaters in the opening was so good. It better happen again with this one.

Snyder did some good hand to hand stuff with batman but I'm surprised at how bad the batmobile scene was. It didn't have shit on the Nolan tumbler stuff imo. And as for the trinity scene I think he could stand to look at civil war for inspiration. Cap and Bucky vs iron man played out so much better and clearer.

Effect

Going to cross post when I posted in the "Liked BvS more then Civil War" thread. Haven't gone into the OT or Spoiler thread yet.

Saw Civil War today and really enjoyed it. I knew I would but was really happy that I did. However both my sister and I came out of it, having really enjoyed it a lot, enjoying Batman v Superman more. She's the one that brought it up to me as we were heading to the car. I had the impression that she might have ended up liking Civil War more until she said that. There was nothing wrong with Civil War. It didn't fail or disappointed anywhere. Batman v Superman just satisfied us that much more though.

For me personally I don't need or even want to see Civil War again. Not at this moment. I think I'm okay until I get the blu-ray. When I came out of Batman v Superman I wanted to see it again and did two more times very quickly. I want to see it again before it fully leaves theaters since there is still no date on the Ultimate Edition. Civil War has not done that for me even though I enjoyed it a lot and laughed out loud more times then I did with BvS.

If I have to picked the wording it's this in regards to where I stand.. I really liked and enjoyed Civil War. I might have to see it again to know where I'd rank it in regard to other MCU films but it's near the top. I loved Batman v Superman though.

In addition to this I certainly feel BvS has more "weight" to it in terms of stakes. The films do have similarities though. More then I thought they would. Civil War has a more emotional stake, and it should because we've followed these characters for a long time, but I feel that's only really the case in a big way at the end. Not at all before that. I will call BS on anyone that tries to claim it was a emotional roller coaster (the hyperbole that an be used) from start to finish or even during the first 3/4 of the film.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Going to cross post when I posted in the "Liked BvS more then Civil War" thread. Haven't gone into the OT or Spoiler thread yet.

In addition to this I certainly feel BvS has more "weight" to it in terms of stakes. The films do have similarities though. More then I thought they woudl. Civil War has a more emotional stake, and it should because we've followed these characters for a long time, but I feel that's only really the case in a big way at the end. Not at all before that. I will call BS on anyone that tries to claim it was a emotional roller coaster from start to finish or even during the first 3/4 of the film.

Get your head checked.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/holy-social-security-older-stars-890301 said:
Frattaroli says Dafoe had passed on offers for other superhero movies because he already played the villain Green Goblin in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man films. But the actor sparked to Justice League because he would be playing a good guy — although Warner Bros. hasn't revealed whom, exactly.

"There's all this speculation on the internet about the mystery of who he's playing — it just helps build up the movie," adds Frattaroli.

Great article in general, but this is pertinent. He must be playing a New God right?

I am johnsing for JL casting news

guek

Banned
X1 aged pretty bad. X2 is some hype ass shit. Love X2.

X2 has some great bits but the wire work is indeed pretty obvious in every action scene. There's this weird lack of momentum with a lot of blows and leaps like you get in wire-fu films. It was made at a different time though when CG couldn't help out as much with stuff like that so you gotta take it for what it is. Thankfully, DoFP didn't have this problem.

As much as I wish Dafoe was the Wizard, I'm not expecting too many Shazam references, I don't even think Snyder is a fan of a character, he traditionally embodies the opposite of his usual style & comic stories he's interested in. Hell I'm surprised he's on the slate.

Anyway Dafoe's role is sounding more significant than I thought, I thought he'd just be a government or military figure. Hal Jordan would be the craziest thing, but I think it's more likely he's a new god.

Right now sucks though in terms of news :/. Think we're in for a dry spell until SDCC. Atleast Rebirth is coming up fast, and we'll probably get Suicide Squad, Superman or Injustice at E3.

Rooster12

The film just felt....weightless, even with all the serious issues at stake. Something about it just didn't make it seem all that important in the long run. .

That big huge airport fight was unnecessary, turned a very serious movie into a Spider-Man/Ant-Man front-center comedic stage play.

Spider-Man was also waaaay out of place.

And the stakes in this movie were.....Rhodey almost dying lol....

It really felt a lot like all the other Marvel movies at the end of the day.

The Civil War comic (which I disliked) had much, much more at stake.

And the best fight scene was Panther vs Bucky on the rooftop.

J_Viper

Reviews start popping up tomorrow btw. People have seen it.

Oh shit.
giphy.gif

Singer hasn't let me down, but I'm a bit worried about the new cast, aside from Tye Sheridan and Oscar Isacc

The weird thing about SS is it releases on my wedding anniversary...

...to a woman I'm currently in the middle of divorcing.

Awkward.

Trevor is not dying. Watch it be frozen, transported to the olympus or some shit. Who would they pair Diana with? Bruce?

First of all, hell yes.

Second of all, he's going to be replaced by his Generational Xerox'd grandson, Steve Trevor (named after his granddad, he's a WWI war hero dontcha know), which makes his attraction to Diana super awkward.

Effect

Sorry to hear that Icon.

I think that would be cheap, telenovela-like.

I'd be more bothered by it and think it's less possible if they hadn't already played that card in the past. That's pretty much what the TV show (the live action show with Lynda Carter) did I believe. If they don't someone bring Trevor into the present or Pine's not playing Trevor's grandson as well then it's a huge waste to bother even casting Chris Pine.

Ashhong

Sorry to hear that Icon.

I'd be more bothered by it and think it's less possible if they hadn't already played that card in the past. That's pretty much what the TV show did I believe. If they don't someone bring Trevor into the present or Pine's not playing Trevor's grandson as well then it's a huge waste to bother even casting Chris Pine.

The cartoon didn't do that..They had old man Trevor in the present who Diana went and found. Unless that happens in Unlimited, I only just finished Justice League

Effect

The cartoon didn't do that..They had old man Trevor in the present who Diana went and found. Unless that happens in Unlimited, I only just finished Justice League

Sorry I mean the live action TV show. The one with Lynda Carter. When it switched networks they did a time skip and the actor that played Trevor when the first season was set during WW2 ended up playing the character's grandson after the time jump.

Got back from Civil War today, and I got to say I was blown away with the quality. I was worried going in it would be another Marvel movie, but it broke the formula in surprising ways. Cap and Tonys fight felt real, and the actions each of them took stayed true to their characters. I Know this opinion is divisive, but I loved Zemo, and felt his plans, motivations and schemes made more sense and felt more real than anything Lex did in BvS. It was thrilling to see 3 black heroes on the big screen and see them all be treated properly. Black Panther hit it out of the park. Spider-Man was just the icing on the delicious cake that was Civil War. Definitely one of the best comic book movies of all time. I hope Warner Bros. sees this and decides to add more black heroes to Justice League, because having one token black guy isn't going to fly after Civil War.

Diversity isnt just black people. DCEU seems plenty diverse so far between Justice League and Suicide Squad.

As far as final battles go, Iron Man vs. Captain America was literally bareknuckle but Batman v Superman was an assassination attempt pretty much. Supes was on defense the whole time as Batman projected all his insecurities on him.

Funnily enough, neither were the idealogical battles the marketing played them up to be. Just straight up raw emotion.

Dead

well not really...yet
I don't think you could convincingly film a scene where two heroes literally come to blows with each other just because they disagree with each others methods, without some outside interference lighting a fuse, and it seems both BvS and Civil War did this (supposedly for the latter, Ill be seeing it tomorrow or later in the week). At the very least I cant picture a scenario playing out like that without seeming utterly silly.

Why would WB need Black Heros? Not making it sound racist, but Suicide Squad and JL have a lot of diversity.

I don't want them to just pick some actor that is black to score a few points with the public, it should depend on talent and other factors.

I do want Idris Elba in the DCCU tho, hes a fantastic actor.

ReiGun

Diversity isnt just black people. DCEU seems plenty diverse so far between Justice League and Suicide Squad.

SS has multiple PoC and multiple women (Deadshot, Harley, Waller, Rope Guy, Katana, Enchantress, and El Diablo [technically Croc as well, but ehh...I'll leave him off]). JL has two men of color in Cyborg and Aquaman, and potentially two women if my hunch about Mera being the film League's 7th member pans out. Wonder Woman will also portray the Amazons as multi racial.

So yeah. Plenty diversity. Now if you want to say they need more women and PoC in starring roles, I will agree. Though Marvel is slacking here as well. Black Panther will be the first - and for the foreseeable future, only - film starring a man of color in the titular role and Capt Marvel is still a long ways off.

Why would WB need Black Heros?
Because there are plenty of talented black actors who deserve a shot to break out and be stars in what is currently the biggest genre of action film. The whole "they should just go based on talent" argument is 1. insulting, given how many talented black actors there are out there, and 2. naive, given how it ignores how often those very actors are looked over so that Hollywood can cast another white guy named Chris regardless of their actual talent in comparison.

And it's not like DC doesn't have black heroes they could use in films. Mr. Terrific, Vixen, Black Lightning (and Thunder/Lightning), Power Girl, John Stewart, Steel, Aqualad, Bronze Tiger, Bumblebee. All could either carry their own movies or make appearances in team movies.

And this is to say nothing of the Asian, Latino, Middle Eastern, etc characters they could be better utilizing.

Growing up as a Black geek, and always hearing my parents go on about the lack of black heroes in the movies, Civil War was huge for me. Diversity across the board is always great, but I have an intense fear that Cyborg is going to be the only Black dude there, constantly make jokes, the job to Darkseid so he can be rebuilt in a sequel. I hope WB sees that a superhero movie can star 3 black heroes having important roles in the story, instead of 1 token on the team. Hell, the only reason Cyborg gets so much play in the comics and media is because he hits the diversity checklist.
If they are really brave they'll make SHAZAM a black kid

Ross61

Growing up as a Black geek, and always hearing my parents go on about the lack of black heroes in the movies, Civil War was huge for me. Diversity across the board is always great, but I have an intense fear that Cyborg is going to be the only Black dude there, constantly make jokes, the job to Darkseid so he can be rebuilt in a sequel. I hope WB sees that a superhero movie can star 3 black heroes having important roles in the story, instead of 1 token on the team. Hell, the only reason Cyborg gets so much play in the comics and media is because he hits the diversity checklist.
If they are really brave they'll make SHAZAM a black kid

Eh, I'd rather they create more original black characters then stick them in white roles. It always creates controversy and is just a band-aide on the problem. And Cyborg will most likely be the only black person on the team as far as the first Justice League movie goes. Later on there will probably be more like Black Lightning, John Stewart, or Mr Terrific. But I'd rather they focus on the initial team first.

Eh, I'd rather they create more original black characters then stick them in white roles. It always creates controversy and is just a band-aide on the problem. And Cyborg will most likely be the only black person on the team as far as the first Justice League movie goes. Later on there will probably be more like Black Lightning, John Stewart, or Mr Terrific. But I'd rather they focus on the initial team first.

Give me one good reason as to why Billy Batson couldn't be a young black kid as in opposed to a white one. What about his character would change?

Ross61

Give me one good reason as to why Billy Batson couldn't be a young black kid as in opposed to a white one. What about his character would change?

Because we should create new roles for black people instead of just creating unnecessary controversy every time something like that happens. And studios and comics book publishers use this controversy to gather attention, then when the event has passed they hardly use the character again.

Platy

It took like 30 years for most characters to be adapted to movie .... creating new characters DOES NOT help in the short term and in the short term , a kid grew up without a hero fantasy that they could grew up to be a hero instead of something shit

Changing a race of a character is only unnecessary controversy because people HATE CHANGE. You DO NOT stop doing stuff because it pisses bigots

Speaking of Snyder quotes, here's a quote from a piece he wrote in 2008 that basically 100% explains where he is coming from in how he approaches these movies that makes a little more sense than "rape batman lulz"

http://www.mtv.com/news/1580555/watchmen-director-zack-snyder-reaches-for-a-slice-of-cheese/

Wont see that parroted on blogs, but oh well.

....I understand this talk to Watchmen or even 300 .... but Batman vs Superman ? Justice League ? Those should be comfort food movies all the way in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom