• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJRB

Gold Member
C'mon WB, give us that release date already damnit.

Surely it can't be later than early July, right?

antovolk

Is that date official? I remember reading when the blu ray was officially announced WB came out and said whatever date is floating about isn't real and no date is set.

That bestbuy page is the only thing I've seen with a date.

That was July 16 popping up on Amazon. This date popped up after WB denied the July 16 date.

Besides, we know from other countries it'll be around that week anyway if it isn't the 19th or whatever.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Accomplice? I'm going to tell them the whole thing was your idea.

Imagine that...Harvey trying to hold his speech while the people are demanding Batman to step forward. Baleman just gets up: "it is my butler Alfred" *shot of Alfred completely in shock*

End credits.

Cipherr

I don't believe in a conspiracy but I do feel like a lot of people have very strong feelings towards him which I find a little odd. You read the reviews with a slant, and they start sounding a little personal or vindictive which is strange. We get tons of bad movies every year. Can anyone tell me the name of the dude who directed Battleship? How about Need for Speed? Those movies were bad but for whatever reason the people responsible for those movies go on forgotten while Zack Snyder sticks around.

Other than Michael Bay, I haven't seen a director garner so much attention releasing mediocre films. I've seen people who aren't movie heads dropping his name and having an opinion.

I'm guessing it's because Snyder is more visible than your average movie director and the films he makes tend to be memorable for a variety of reasons. Of course it helps that he has a very unique style that stands out among his peers.

When you're being compared to Lars Von Trier, you've clearly struck a nerve.

Its the profile of the films themselves that drag the names into it. Need for Speed and Battleship arent massively huge franchises box office wise.

Nolan changed that when the second Batman film hit and was a megaton at the box office for a CBM. Then Avengers came and Whedons name was everywhere. From that point the directors name of all the MCU and DC movies have been in the conversation because CBM's are the hot genre right now.

I didnt know Snyder even did 300 until someone mentioned it in a BvS thread. But 300 wasn't an huge event film to me the way Batman films are now. The Russos weren't huge names at the time either, now look at how many people know who they are.

Snyders name is everywhere because of the importance of the projects hes now tied too. They are going to be among the biggest film releases of the year. (in the year they release) I think its normal.

Edit: come to think of it, it may have started a bit earlier with the second spider man film being huge for its time.

IconGrist

Snyder seems to forget that every interview he does is going to be dissected and analyzed. Then you run into a split. The people who read and understood what he was saying - And the people who are going to take things he said as literal examples and use it against him.

Example #1:
”Everyone says that about [Christopher Nolan’s] Batman Begins. ‘Batman’s dark.’ I’m like, okay, ‘No, Batman’s cool.’ He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn’t, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that’s how that would go.”

Normal level-headed people read that and understand he's saying Nolan's Batman isn't dark and uses an extreme example to point it out. Others use this snippet to forward the notion that Snyder wants to film Batman getting raped in prison so he must be out of his mind.

Example #2:
"But I feel like Batman and Superman are transcendent of superhero movies in a way, because they’re Batman and Superman. They’re not just, like, the flavour of the week Ant-Man – not to be mean, but whatever it is."

Normal level-headed people read that and understand he's saying that characters like Batman and Superman (and Spider-Man) exist beyond the comic book movie craze. When and if it dies out the big guns will still have movies made about them. Others use this to say Snyder thinks Ant-Man is a joke and shouldn't have movies made.

I could go on as there are plenty of examples but I think you all get the point. One could argue Snyder should better articulate his points but another could argue maybe the people listening could take an extra second to grasp what he means. It's not like he's speaking in riddles.

Dead

well not really...yet
Speaking of Snyder quotes, here's a quote from a piece he wrote in 2008 that basically 100% explains where he is coming from in how he approaches these movies that makes a little more sense than "rape batman lulz"

http://www.mtv.com/news/1580555/watchmen-director-zack-snyder-reaches-for-a-slice-of-cheese/

I’ve been a fan of Richard Cheese for a long time, so naturally he’s in my mental Rolodex when I started thinking about music for my movies. When I was looking for tracks for the “Dawn of the Dead” soundtrack, it was important to me that the music reinforce the film’s underlying desire to break conventions and not be limited by the expectations placed on the film because of its roots in the genre world. Too often I think studios and filmmakers have a preconceived notion of what audiences’ expectations will be based on a film’s genre. I believe this approach often sets a course that funnels many projects down a familiar pathway with comfortable choices and safe decisions. I’ll be the first to admit that sometimes this actually works, creating cinematic “comfort food” that delivers and satisfies. But more often than not, it leaves me as a viewer dissatisfied, wanting more and wishing I didn’t know what was waiting for me around every corner. That is why I like creating projects that are self-aware. In my opinion, the trick is being self-aware without becoming self-conscious, having an awareness of a project’s roots, but not being stifled by the typical genre pre-conceptions.

In many ways, this is what Richard Cheese is all about: Peeling away the tough, polished exterior of a song dressed in its most aggressive riff or eardrum-rattling bass and exposing it to its core. He has the ability to look in the pop-culture mirror and see both the good and the bad and, without discriminating, have fun dissecting both. After all, what’s not to like about a swanky lounge version of Slayer’s “War Ensemble”?

Wont see that parroted on blogs, but oh well.

BadAss2961

Zack's a total bro. I love his interviews because he's honest and kinda just shoots from the hip. He's just not programmed to do PR speak, which opens the door for people to cherry pick quotes and put him in a bad light.

Ninjimbo

Bleepey

Snyder seems to forget that every interview he does is going to be dissected and analyzed. Then you run into a split. The people who read and understood what he was saying - And the people who are going to take things he said as literal examples and use it against him.

Example #1:
”Everyone says that about [Christopher Nolan’s] Batman Begins. ‘Batman’s dark.’ I’m like, okay, ‘No, Batman’s cool.’ He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn’t, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that’s how that would go.”

Normal level-headed people read that and understand he's saying Nolan's Batman isn't dark and uses an extreme example to point it out. Others use this snippet to forward the notion that Snyder wants to film Batman getting raped in prison so he must be out of his mind.

Example #2:
"But I feel like Batman and Superman are transcendent of superhero movies in a way, because they’re Batman and Superman. They’re not just, like, the flavour of the week Ant-Man – not to be mean, but whatever it is."

Normal level-headed people read that and understand he's saying that characters like Batman and Superman (and Spider-Man) exist beyond the comic book movie craze. When and if it dies out the big guns will still have movies made about them. Others use this to say Snyder thinks Ant-Man is a joke and shouldn't have movies made.

I could go on as there are plenty of examples but I think you all get the point. One could argue Snyder should better articulate his points but another could argue maybe the people listening could take an extra second to grasp what he means. It's not like he's speaking in riddles.

With regards to your first point, I get the feeling people who are like "Snyder wants to rape Batman omg wtf BBQ?!? Such a bro he knows nothing are very forgetful or don't know comics". Snyder talks about wanting to explore dark themes in comics and taking it to an extreme place is not a alien thing. I mean FFS, it was heavily implied the Joker raped Barbara Gordon in the Killing Joke but when Snyder mentions wanting to explore it he's looked at as clueless. Hell Grant Morrison got Batman dateraped and had him dealing with the fallout of trying to raise little Damien, yet Damien is a fan favourite whilst Snyder is shit on like a festival toilet seat.

Guys. Civil War was pretty dope. Felt long as fuck tbh and the plot bored me at times but good god is spiderman a behemoth of a character. he just eclipses an entire film series/universe. the only one who could step up to this would be bruce wayne somehow crossing over into the mcu. that's about it. i don't see anybody else stealing scenes like this.

when i left the theater everybody was talking about spiderman. 10-20 minutes total screentime and the film practically belonged to him.

Also the russos have a really good handle on superhero action. I thought the airport scene would be wack from the trailers but it was really fun from start to finish. tbh i think snyder should be looking at these guys for a reference point for the justice league action.

lol, if there's one thing Snyder doesn't need help with, it's action.

nope. He's not one of the old gods. He has room to improve, they all do.

I loved the batman warehouse scene. But civil war had like 10 sequences of that quality. And when it came to the heroes teaming up i gotta say this movie had BvS beat big time. Doomsday sequence was not nearly as good as the airport scene or iron man v bucky/cap imo.

I loved the batman warehouse scene. But civil war had like 10 sequences of that quality. And when it came to the heroes teaming up i gotta say this movie had BvS beat big time. Doomsday sequence was not nearly as good as the airport scene or iron man v bucky/cap imo.

Doomsday sequence was just bad, visually and choreography wise too.

Firemind

Guys. Civil War was pretty dope. Felt long as fuck tbh and the plot bored me at times but good god is spiderman a behemoth of a character. he just eclipses an entire film series/universe. the only one who could step up to this would be bruce wayne somehow crossing over into the mcu. that's about it. i don't see anybody else stealing scenes like this.

when i left the theater everybody was talking about spiderman. 10-20 minutes total screentime and the film practically belonged to him.

Also the russos have a really good handle on superhero action. I thought the airport scene would be wack from the trailers but it was really fun from start to finish. tbh i think snyder should be looking at these guys for a reference point for the justice league action.
So what you're saying is Spidey is worth the price of admission alone? I still need to watch WS and AoU but I really don't want to watch AoU. :lol

Firemind

Doomsday sequence was just bad, visually and choreography wise too.
I disagree. Some of the shots were amazingly well done. It could have been much better, but I put it on par with the Superman vs Zod fight in MoS. Some of the shots in that fight were amazing, but some of them were also laughably bad like Zod climbing a building.

Firemind

I find it hard to believe they would edit out action shots as they're usually the most expensive to produce. Does this have any precedence in Snyder's earlier director's cuts?

Dead

well not really...yet
I find it hard to believe they would edit out action shots as they're usually the most expensive to produce. Does this have any precedence in Snyder's earlier director's cuts?
Sucker Punch cut an entire two minute action set piece from the theatrical cut. Watchmen had missing action as well.

Snyder said there are some missing action cuts in the theatrical cut of BvS

eh mileage may vary if you think that then lol. airport scene >>> WS and BvS

but a lot of the other action stuff is similar to Winter Soldier's highway chase. the hand to hand combat is pretty good. if you didn't like how that was filmed though you may not be as impressed. BvS definitely edges it in the soundtrack department though. Zimmer always steps up for dc. the john wick directors were second unit on this movie. damn shame nolan didn't think of something like that. his first two batmans are god tier imo but man the action is lacking.

Senoculum

I'm posting my thoughts here, because no way will I get away with saying the following with my avatar, lol.

I thought Civil War continues the Marvel trend of being unremarkable; and plainly captured on film (or memory cards) with more efficiency than inspiration. It continues the trend of guest appearances, not because they serve the plot, but because they know they'll make the audience smile. And most of all, it continues with trite endings where, "things are different, but it's largely the same from since we began." I'm hoping Drew Goddard can come on board the films, because his work on Daredevil really gave me high hopes for some good, ballsy storytelling chops.

Good things:
-Zemo, who's a cunning strategist instead of a superpowered villain
-VFX in the airport scene
-the gravity of the situation in the final fight scene
-Black Panther's action choreography

I thought the opening action set piece was poorly wrought and kind of dull, with a mix of good stunts and awful camera work and strange fits of wobbly CGI. The new Spider-Man is certainly not for me; the kid reminds me of a public relations checklist for what makes a heartthrob, and what little scheme and plotting it took to bring him to stage front was totally weak. And while BvS gets flack for its second act, I thought Civil War was identical with its emphasis of "people in rooms talking." However, in BvS, there was this approach of "chess pieces moving around," which never quite struck with me in CA:CW. The film needed a few more parlour tricks to keep things engaging; by far, this film has the most interior shots (read: dull) of any comic book movie of recent memory.

007: Spectre and Age of Ultron were better films to me, and neither of them I found were purchase-worthy. Just another entertaining film that will be gone before we know it.

KonradLaw

Now...this is damn cool :D
lQCR5Kz.png

Draconian

Yeah, no, sorry. Action sequences in Civil War didn't come close to BvS for me. If anything, they should be looking to him on how to shoot some of this stuff after all the quick edit, shaky cam nonsense action scenes in the first hour.

IconGrist

Yeah, no, sorry. Action sequences in Civil War didn't come close to BvS for me. If anything, they should be looking to him on how to shoot some of this stuff after all the quick edit, shaky cam nonsense action scenes in the first hour.

The Widow stuff at the beginning was cut up like turkey at Thanksgiving dinner. A lot of the hand to hand fighting was. The only steady deliberate shots belonged to the effects shots. Snyder doesn't do that at all. The choreography of the fights in CW is amazing but get brought down with the way they are filmed. Wasted work. Widow did this bad ass dropkick into a Rock Bottom and there was almost no impact due to how it was cut.

I'll make it super quick and I'll edit if people don't care to discuss it here any further. Civil War was alright, but I'm getting bored of the Marvel formula. A movie where I should've been ecstatic when the credits rolled, I was left with the feeling of "Yup, it was another Marvel movie." I know it's been a long running complaint, but could they finally hire some actual cinematographers? It was all so uninspired and generic.

I'd put the Batman warehouse scene over some of the human scale action of Civil War, but as a whole CW delivers great action. Made me bummed Whedon did Quicksilver like that.

We're at a point where nobody on these comic films is a slouch. DoFP is rightly hyped for the Quicksilver scene but Singer's future war fights are killer. If there's an area I'd knock Snyder's action, it's his vehicle stuff. Didn't care for the batmobile scene at all.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'll make it super quick and I'll edit if people don't care to discuss it here any further. Civil War was alright, but I'm getting bored of the Marvel formula. A movie where I should've been ecstatic when the credits rolled, I was left with the feeling of "Yup, it was another Marvel movie." I know it's been a long running complaint, but could they finally hire some actual cinematographers? It was all so uninspired and generic.

Pretty much echoed my sentiments. Went with two friends, and the first thing they said when I asked them how they liked the film at the end was that 'it was a marvel film, alright'.

One even said that it now feels like 'MARVEL' is this TV show, and these films are its episodes. Made me chuckle.

Watched CW, a lot of similarities between the movies. I already compared both in the other thread. I liked it but I don't love it. I was never a big fan of hero v hero stuff but Marvel's take on it is better than their villains so far, the conflict in the movie felt real compared to throw away villains
which Zemo mostly is
so far.

Firemind

I'd put the Batman warehouse scene over some of the human scale action of Civil War, but as a whole CW delivers great action. Made me bummed Whedon did Quicksilver like that.

We're at a point where nobody on these comic films is a slouch. DoFP is rightly hyped for the Quicksilver scene but Singer's future war fights are killer. If there's an area I'd knock Snyder's action, it's his vehicle stuff. Didn't care for the batmobile scene at all.
X-Men has terrible costume design though. Plus, I still haven't seen a Wolverine with claws that don't look like plastic.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Watched CW, a lot of similarities between the movies. I already compared both in the other thread. I liked it but I don't love it. I was never a big fan of hero v hero stuff but Marvel's take on it is better than their villains so far, the conflict in the movie felt real compared to throw away villains
which Zemo mostly is
so far.

The film just felt....weightless, even with all the serious issues at stake. Something about it just didn't make it seem all that important in the long run. Maybe it was the second half that turned all quipcentral, especially during the big airport sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom