• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
err, I don't believe that's actually true at all. Kick-Ass, Kingsmen, Deadpool, and the X-Men franchise are all notably different in tone and execution compared to the MCU. Suicide Squad also look very different and is expected to do well. This just sounds like an excuse for Snyder more than anything else. At worst, you could say the MCU has made people expect regular doses of comedy from comicbook movies but we got that in the Raimi films as well.

Kick-Ass and Kingsmen aren't traditional CBMs.
Deadpool is a different beast and rated R.
X-Men to me is traditional CBM, they haven't gone to far off the beaten path with storytelling and settings. and almost all MCU movies are more quip filled than anything Raimi did with Spider-man. hell that was one of the complaints against Raimi Spider-Man, that Peter was not his usual funny self.

But this just makes Batman look like a xenophobic idiot :-/

The turn is just too abrupt for my taste. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't such a drastic face turn but that's what ruins it, not the motivation behind it.

that was kind of the point. that Batman was old and bitter and angry and full of paranoia and mistrust. he saw Superman as a loaded gun pointed at humanity. he was wrong and he realized it.

Doesn't change the fact that it was poorly executed.

I think it was pretty clear.

This explanation would work so much better without the moronic Lion King stuff.

..but I suppose wrapping it like it's told to a 12-year-old has its purpose, considering this apparantly needs explaining like it's some profound insight in the first place.

people have a surprising amount of trouble following movies nowadays. it's lots of factors from muddled sound in theaters to unable to rewind and see a scene again. I blame the internet.

I saw the movie....just forgot that part.

Now kindly leave me the fuck alone.

*meow*

IconGrist

Was Disco the one looking forward to X-Men the most?

Disco, post if you're okay.

Also, fucking hell. I'm like slaughtering you guys in posts. I'm going to have to go like 2 weeks without posting in here to not feel like I have a problem.

Effect

That's how I took it.

I understood that part wrong it seems.

This explanation would work so much better without the moronic Lion King stuff.

..but I suppose wrapping it like it's told to a 12-year-old has its purpose, considering this apparantly needs explaining like it's some profound insight in the first place.

That's the sad thing though. No one likes to be talked to as if they're 10. It's easy to see why that's insulting. However many seem to need things broken down to them like that even if they think and swear they don't. That goes beyond movies.

Apparently it hadn't been testing well.
Apparently.

:( That's really disappointing. I still need to see this though. That and X-men as well. I've disagreed with far to many critic reviews in to short of a time to not see them with my own eyes.

onipex

I saw the film again today. Just can't get over how much I love Superman's final words.

"This is my world. You... are my world"

And that fucking music. Please be awesome in Justice League, Clark.

I loved that as well. That moment when he actually adopts Earth as his world and is willing to do anything to save it is pretty great.

I would hate it if he turned evil in the next film. That scene should be the end of his journey to actually becoming Superman.

ReiGun

I saw the film again today. Just can't get over how much I love Superman's final words.

"This is my world. You... are my world"

And that fucking music. Please be awesome in Justice League, Clark.

I was pondering why this moment was so powerful for so many people, and I think it's because if BvS did anything right, it showed how important Lois is to Clark. Sure, it could have gone deeper, but the movie did a good job showing how much she means to him. she was his rock, his confidant. The one person he could just be himself with.

As much a mess as the movie was, it totally understood and got this part.

IconGrist

I was pondering why this moment was so powerful for so many people, and I think it's because if BvS did anything right, it showed how important Lois is to Clark. Sure, it could have gone deeper, but the movie did a good job showing how much she means to him. she was his rock, his confidant. The one person he could just be himself with.

As much a mess as the movie was, it totally understood and got this part.

When Lois realized what happened after seeing Diana's face her reaction got me. Amy Adams sold that moment really well.

I wish we got a straight up Superman or Shazam show on the cw, if Supergirl doesn't end up moving there. I'd actually prefer a Shazam or JSA show over a movie. I never gave smallville a watch, surprised it isn't on any streaming platforms. Aquaman and GLC are too high budget to do properly, a WW show could actually work pretty well.

J_Viper

Thought this was....something?
1462830279932.jpg

MisterHero

There's a lot of Krypton lore they could use on this show. But TV rights and Movie rights have proven incompatible for years, so that sucks. correct me if I'm wrong

Batman movies prohibiting characters in DCAU, The Batman (I don't know how Brave and the Bold fits)
Superman movies blocking Supes himself from TV (Smallville, Supergirl)
DC Movies vs. the Arrowverse
MCU movies fighting the TV division. When will the Avengers and Coulson reunite? :(

And there's no way a SyFy show could compete with Snyder's Krypton.

I wish we got a straight up Superman or Shazam show on the cw, if Supergirl doesn't end up moving there. I'd actually prefer a Shazam or JSA show over a movie. I never gave smallville a watch, surprised it isn't on any streaming platforms. Aquaman and GLC are too high budget to do properly, a WW show could actually work pretty well.

They should move justice League dark to cable by the producers of penny dreadful. Put it on HBO

Horror stuff thrives on TV and it could be done really freaking well too now. Would need a name change but that's about it.

Is that movie still happening? I remember rumors of Ewan McGregor and Colin Farrell being considered for constantine

They should move justice League dark to cable by the producers of penny dreadful. Put it on HBO

Horror stuff thrives on TV and it could be done really freaking well too now. Would need a name change but that's about it.

Is that movie still happening? I remember rumors of Ewan McGregor and Colin Farrell being considered for constantine

The rumor I heard last before 4chan stuff was the script was done and they were shopping for directors. I imagine BvS's performance might have impacted how fast some properties got green lit.

a916

Shazam has that much material to be a show?

Effect

Shazam's original name was Captain Marvel when DC acquired him and the rest of Fawcett Comics. He was called that up until the New 52 I think where they decided to just rename him Shazam (which was originally the wizard's name that gave the character his power). Due to Marvel comics they really couldn't put out a title called Captain Marvel so it was always titled Shazam something I believe. There was always a bit of confusion when that happen. So now the character's name matches whatever title that comes out and now film.

ReiGun

Shazam's original name was Captain Marvel when DC acquired him and the rest of Fawcett Comics. He was called that up until the New 52 I think where they decided to just rename him Shazam (which was originally the wizard's name that gave the character his power). Due to Marvel comics they really couldn't put out a title called Captain Marvel so it was always titled Shazam something I believe. There was always a bit of confusion when that happen. So now the character's name matches whatever title that comes out and now film.

Yeah it's basically a lot of legal fuckery. DC is allowed to call the character Capt. Marvel, but can't use the name on any advertising or name a book after him. Marvel, I believe, is required to use the name Captain Marvel on something or risk losing it/having to share it.

They still use cap for Earth-S stuff, but mainstream Billy is Shazam. I think both companies taking their Captain Marvel's to a bigger stage forced DC to rename him.

I honestly don't care that much, Captain Thunder would have been a better name (I still like Shazam more than Captain Marvel), but the real hit will be if Mary Marvel loses her name.

He was called Captain Marvel in the comics pre-New 52 but DC hasn't actually been able call a series by that name since the 80's. That's why the old Jerry Ordway OGN was called the Power of Shazam.

I will keep saying it until casting is announced, a black or latino Shazam is the way to go. Introduces diversity in a big way to the Justice League, and shows young PoC that they can be supermans too. I reaaaaly hope Cyborg doesnt clown in JL.

IconGrist

I will keep saying it until casting is announced, a black or latino Shazam is the way to go. Introduces diversity in a big way to the Justice League, and shows young PoC that they can be supermans too. I reaaaaly hope Cyborg doesnt clown in JL.

Who'd you have in mind to play Shazam? Somebody who can play a kid in an adult's body but not come off like an idiot but endearing and charming. That would work well opposite The Rock.

MisterHero

Which is silly, because it's the Wizard's name, and how Billy transforms.

Saying "it works only when Billy wants it to" diminishes it's iconic status.

Who'd you have in mind to play Shazam? Somebody who can play a kid in an adult's body but not come off like an idiot but endearing and charming. That would work well opposite The Rock.

Honestly, probably another wrestler. I wouldn't mind seeing anyone thats on The New Day playing Shazam. They have so much energy and goofiness to their personalities that could really translate well into the character.
My personal choice for a white Shazam is John Cena

MisterHero

I just thought about it. James Marsden. He was great in Enchanted

Cyclops isn't coming back is he

Thought this was....something?
Even if it doesn't connect to Superman, IF the inclusion is intentional the "Christ" would probably symbolize Superman/the Senate's good will to open a dialogue. Lex pisses on the idea in multiple interpretations.

Even if they're not true, these 4chan pics are hilarious in describing the positive/negative reactions to the movie.

ReiGun

I still think he should play both parts. WB would need to be prepared to drop some money to get him to do that.

The issue with the Rock being Adam is that he's too...likable. He had the same problem whenever WWE tried to make him a heel. He has so much natural charisma and energy that rooting against him actually feels uncomfortable. He'd go to cities and make fun with them - as wrestlers are wont to do when they need easy heat - and the crowd would just laugh alongside him. They couldn't bring themselves to boo him.

Just...look at his fucking smile.

the-rock-smiling.gif

Look at that charming son of a bitch. How do you not make him the hero?

Granted, this isn't to say he won't be a good Black Adam. In fact, if it's true that he had his choice, I'm guessing he picked BA to step out of his comfort zone and get to be the bad guy for a change. But Shazam plays so much better to the Rock's strengths that it's a real missed opportunity.

Seeing the Rock in trailers for that Kevin Hart film makes me want him as Shazam all the more. I'm imagining his Black Adam being Hobbs from Fast Five. Maybe not an out and out villain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom