• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

IconGrist

So I just watched this, he makes some interesting points.

I never caught that thing with the door and the reverse exit sign and the red dots on the weapons.

Someone else pointed out to me that the guy who ends up with his head in the floor has a knife stuck in his leg. You have to pause at like the last second of that sequence to see it. There's a lot more to that fight.

Halcyon

I love that he's doing stuff like that, and being very Batman-ey.

People were immediately quick to be like "UGH ITS SO DUMB JUST SHOOTZ BATMAN WITH THE GUNS".

I love that all the bullshit complaints from internet nerds who get off on trying to point out plot points seem to have had an effect on Snyder so I think he's being fairly smart about how things are happening in this universe from now on.

ie backlash against superman for destroying metropolis, and then fighting in ruins in this movie.

strafer

Ryan Reynolds rates Green Lantern on Watch What Happens Live

While Ryan Reynolds’ latest superhero film is enjoying a warmer critical reception, the Deadpool actor hasn’t softened his stance about the time we wore a green and black animated suit.

Appearing on Watch What Happens Live, Reynolds was asked by host Andy Cohen what he would rate Green Lantern on a scale of 1 to 10. Reynolds has expressed his displeasure with the DC Comics stinker before — the first Deadpool trailer started with a pointed Green Lantern dig, after all — so his response shouldn’t come as too big a surprise.

“I would give it a scant, four, maybe. Three or four. It didn’t work. A one, it’s a one,” Reynolds said on the show, finally rounding down to the lowest score he could possible give it. (At the time, EW gave it a C+.)

And though Reynolds may not look back fondly on his Green Lantern adventures, Reynolds has discussed how he met his wife, Blake Lively, on the film, as well as that every good and bad step along the way “all led to” the Deadpool movie becoming a reality.

Reynolds can look forward now, of course, with Deadpool now in theaters. For more on his turn as The Merc with The Mouth, read EW’s review.

I wonder if has read the original script.

It's a real shame what happened to that movie.

Again, even though the movie wasn't that good, Ryan still was great in the role, would love to have seen him in this new DCU. I wonder what a Snyder Green Lantern suit would have looked like.

BadAss2961

I love that he's doing stuff like that, and being very Batman-ey.

People were immediately quick to be like "UGH ITS SO DUMB JUST SHOOTZ BATMAN WITH THE GUNS".

I love that all the bullshit complaints from internet nerds who get off on trying to point out plot points seem to have had an effect on Snyder so I think he's being fairly smart about how things are happening in this universe from now on.

ie backlash against superman for destroying metropolis, and then fighting in ruins in this movie.
Looks like he disables their guns similar to Arkham fashion.

Halcyon

Looks like he disables their guns similar to Arkham fashion.

That's exactly what he does which is my point. There were lots of first replies to seeing it that centered around trying to point out plot holes.

It's a whole way of thinking that annoys me and makes me want to punch people through the internet.

BadAss2961

That's exactly what he does which is my point. There were lots of first replies to seeing it that centered around trying to point out plot holes.

It's a whole way of thinking that annoys me and makes me want to punch people through the internet.
People love negativity. Now that there's nothing really bad to say about the trailer, they flock to the rumor thread that's based on maybes and absolutely nothing concrete.

What you all doing while waiting for BvS?

Catching up a bit on my backlog. Playing through Skyrim, a lot of fun in short bursts. I've already played through each arkham game like 2 times, with a 100% on all of them except AK, so I'm a bit burned out on those. It's a shame they canned infinite crisis, it was fun to play around with all the more obscure DC characters.

GeeTeeCee

The usual mix of games, tv and films. Hopefully going to see Deadpool in the next few days. Finishing off Gravity Rush - which is basically a superhero game disguised in a Ghibli-esque shell.

The current BvS hype is motivating me to get through my comic book/graphic novel backlog. Currently reading Punisher by Garth Ennis. Probably read Gotham After Midnight next. I've got a ton of first volumes of Image paperbacks I picked up on a whim and never started. Just read the first volume of One-Punch Man too. That deserves a Deadpool style film.

TqXlKjF.gif

"Bitch you tried it"

They could have done that. I already heard the rumors of Doomsday so the reveal wasn't a big surprise to me but a bunch of people thought that it was too much.

I think they could have revealed Doomsday but stay away from showing Batman/Superman joining forces. We know it's going to happen but it helps to keep the animosity between them.

These are the rest of the figures from the line:

They run $45-$50 ($45 for that Lex figure?). Yes, Lex comes with a bald head.
You left out the best

DCC-MoS-General-Faora-768x766.jpg

Rewatched all of the Superman movies, now I'm rewatching all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, then I'm probably rewatching all of the Batman movies, from Batman '66 to The Dark Knight Rises. I'll also be watching all of the Fast & Furious movies soon.

Also been watching all off the DC and Marvel shows on TV every week (Supergirl, Lucifer, The Flash, Agent Carter, iZombie, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow), as well as some other stuff like The X-Files, New Girl, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Also started rewatching Batman: The Animated Series, and will rewatch Superman and Batman Beyond, too. Also watched some Super Friends last night. I also play video games when I'm not watching stuff...last things I played were Witcher 3 on Xbox One, and Mega Man 3 on NES.

I also bought a bunch of Batman v Superman toys.

Tabby

Catching up a bit on my backlog. Playing through Skyrim, a lot of fun in short bursts. I've already played through each arkham game like 2 times, with a 100% on all of them except AK, so I'm a bit burned out on those. It's a shame they canned infinite crisis, it was fun to play around with all the more obscure DC characters.

I'll rewatch MoS, rewatching some animated movies and the weekly DCTV shows (Supergirl, Lucifer, Flash, Legends and Gotham when it comes back).

Beta Stage

Neo Member
Ok, time to vent a little. After reading all of the posts in that "rumor" thread and the final trailer thread, there is something I have to ask: What exactly makes Superman boring? Seriously, what? Is it his strength? Thor and Hulk have just as crazy feats. Is it his speed? Flash is faster. Is it his durability? Juggernaut is literally unstoppable! Is it because he is just a nice guy without a "darkside"? Because, if is so, what is wrong with that? Is it because he has godly powers? NEWSFLASH: 90% of all superheroes would be considered gods if they existed in the real world.

After years of people saying he is "one of the worst" or "the most boring" hero I still cannot figure out what sets him apart from every other superhero. Does anybody have an idea?

Halcyon

After years of people saying he is "one of the worst" or "the most boring" hero I still cannot figure out what sets him apart from every other superhero. Does anybody have an idea?

Morally just, no weaknesses, always doing the right thing. Basically a version of Jesus. There's only so many stories you can do that don't involve fairly over the top villains or kryptonite.

Penguin

Accidentally rewatching Young Justice

Gonna put together a list of episodes for BTAS/STAS/JL/JLU for a friend to watch before BvS so may just follow along with that.

Need to finish XCX and Paper Jam.

And a crapton of drunken movies, including I imagine another viewing of Batman and Robin

a916

Is this the new BvS thread?

The other one is over :(

I'm biding my time by catching up on other TV Shows but I'll be going through the Superman and Batman movies the week of.

Tabby

Ok, time to vent a little. After reading all of the posts in that "rumor" thread and the final trailer thread, there is something I have to ask: What exactly makes Superman boring? Seriously, what? Is it his strength? Thor and Hulk have just as crazy feats. Is it his speed? Flash is faster. Is it his durability? Juggernaut is literally unstoppable! Is it because he is just a nice guy without a "darkside"? Because, if is so, what is wrong with that? Is it because he has godly powers? NEWSFLASH: 90% of all superheroes would be considered gods if they existed in the real world.

People are just ignorant.

Most complaints I've heard about Superman is that "He's too powerful! he's boring!" but you never really hear that about anyone else. They ignore that fact that it's Superman's powers that makes him the best superhero.
It's his morality, what he fights for and what he stands for.

That he has all this power and he doesn't use it for his own personal gain like most of us probably would, that he sees what best in us and believes that we has a species can strive to be better, that criminals deep down have good in their hearts. He's essentially just a normal guy who does the right thing. He didn't need to have his uncle die to know that you should use your powers for good, he didn't need to have his powers shot in front of him. He's just a regular guy.

What first made me first like Superman was a comic panel, I don't remember where it's from but it's of Superman helping this girl who wanted to jump off of a building. I feel like any other superhero would have just flew up there and pulled her down and that would be that; hell I think that happened in the Flash TV show where Barry just brought him down and called it a day. Superman actually just stayed up there and talked to her, waited for her to calm down and tried to talk her out of it.

If people have a genuine reason for not liking Superman then fair enough but "he's too powerful" and "he's too boring" are not valid reasons. Flash is fucking OP but you never hear anyone say that he's too powerful. Martian Manhunter is arguably more powerful than Superman but you never hear that about him either.

Beta Stage

Neo Member
Morally just, no weaknesses, always doing the right thing. Basically a version of Jesus. There's only so many stories you can do that don't involve fairly over the top villains or kryptonite.

The thing is, Superman has never really been shown to be morally just. Like Batman he does what he thinks is right. But it tends to blow up in his face.

As for no weaknesses, what? He has more straight up weaknesses than any other superhero. K-nite, red solar radiation, and magic. Not to mention the fact that just like everyone else, he can be hurt by a punch. It just takes a bigger punch than most.

And finally, as for the Jesus comparison, Supes has always given off more of a Moses, Hercules, and Zeus vibe to me.

Loxley

People who don't read Superman comics, or at least haven't read his better stories, tend to just look at Superman on the surface and write him off as a boring character because they seem as being "too perfect". Real talk, he's a fictional character. He's not inherently boring - he's as interesting as whomever is writing him makes him out to be. I mean the guy can fly and shoot goddamn lasers from his eyes - that's cool as shit.

I have no problem if people dislike the character, but I find that some people who write him off aren't all-that familiar with the character or his history to begin with.

Speaking of which, I highly recommend this book:

KcyZa1K.jpg

I'll admit I'm biased as it was written by a former professor of mine, but it dives deep into why kids and adults latched onto Superman so fervently back during his initial few years of publication. As well as why he became an icon for the lower class immigrants of the US at the time. Recently DC has been exploring the character's roots as a social crusader in Action Comics, and it's been really cool to watch.

Beta Stage

Neo Member
People who don't read Superman comics, or at least haven't read his better stories, tend to just look at Superman on the surface and write him off as a boring character because they seem as being "too perfect". Real talk, he's a fictional character. He's not inherently boring - he's as interesting as whomever is writing him makes him out to be. I mean the guy can fly and shoot goddamn lasers from his eyes - that's cool as shit.

I have no problem if people dislike the character, but I find that some people who write him off aren't all-that familiar with the character or his history to begin with.

Speaking of which, I highly recommend this book:

KcyZa1K.jpg

I'll admit I'm biased as it was written by a former professor of mine, but it dives deep into why kids and adults latched onto Superman so fervently back during his initial few years of publication. As well as why he become an icon for the lower class immigrants of the US at the time. Recently DC has been exploring the character's roots as a social crusader in Action Comics, and it's been really cool to watch.

I have never heard of that book before. Thanks for the suggestion.

Halcyon

The thing is, Superman has never really been shown to be morally just. Like Batman he does what he thinks is right. But it tends to blow up in his face.

As for no weaknesses, what? He has more straight up weaknesses than any other superhero. K-nite, red solar radiation, and magic. Not to mention the fact that just like everyone else, he can be hurt by a punch. It just takes a bigger punch than most.

And finally, as for the Jesus comparison, Supes has always given off more of a Moses, Hercules, and Zeus vibe to me.

I agree, i'm saying that's why other people think he's boring.

karasu

I wonder that too. I blame the Donner movies. He solved all of his problems so easily in those. If Lois found out about his secret identity, he would just giver a kiss and make her forget. If she died, he would just send the earth backwards in time and undo it. You never even see him throw a punch in the first two movies. That Jesus vibe comes directly from those movies. The comics were NOTHING like that at the time.

a916

I wonder that too. I blame the Donner movies. He solved all of his problems so easily in those. If Lois found out about his secret identity, he would just giver a kiss and make her forget. If she died, he would just send the earth backwards in time and undo it. You never even see him throw a punch in the first two movies. That Jesus vibe comes directly from those movies. The comics were NOTHING like that at the time.

Those Superman movies weren't good as good as people make them out to be... and I still stand by it. MOS is a better Superman film. Luthor and Zod's protrayals were such utter garbage... hell Hackman's take on Luthor has really set the stage of a terrible zany Luthor in the filmverse since. That kiss thing is about as dumb as you can get (and I know that originated in the comics too) or him throwing the giant saran wrap... what the hell? Or him going back in time lol... just what the hell? But casualties in a fight with Zod, noooo, that's unforgivable.

If that is the case then why talk about him at all? If I am unfamiliar with a particular subject I'm sure as hell not going to bring it up in a conversation.

They think they do. Most (not all) look at Superman on the surface and see the powers and the "boyscout" and say hes boring.

Whoever it was who must have decided to sit down and play the Arkham games and use the fight choreography for inspiration deserves a medal. It's just too similar to be anything other than intentional. I love it. Arkham combat is peak Batman.

As someone who just finished Arkham Asylum last month, this is immediately what I thought of when I saw the trailer. All that is missing is a scene where Batfleck uses a gargoyle take down on a thug. Sidenote: as a fan of everything DC I freaking love this game. I'm stoked to eventually play Arkham City and Knight, planning on skipping Origins because I heard it was bad but I can be convinced otherwise if anyone has a reason.

Don't have a ton of time to game currently, but I'm working on Platinuming Bioshock Infinite for the husbando. Also occasional Mario Maker here and there.

tim1138

Has there been a comic book where Superman uses his powers for evil? You know what you'd do if you had Superman's powers...

Superman Red Son and Superman the Dark Side both have him not exactly good.
Irredeemable by Mark Waid is about what would happen if a Superman type character snapped.

Irredeemable by Mark Waid is about what would happen if a Superman type character snapped.

I'd argue that the whole point of Red Son was that he was good, but the way he was raised gave him a different moral framework.

Haven't read The Dark Side.

Best example of Superman going evil these days is probably Injustice. Starts out with a well-intentioned killing, spirals out from there.

If you ever wanted to see how a real fight betweem Batman and Superman would go down, check out Irredeemable

tim1138

I'd argue that the whole point of Red Son was that he was good, but the way he was raised gave him a different moral framework.

Haven't read The Dark Side.

Best example of Superman going evil these days is probably Injustice. Starts out with a well-intentioned killing, spirals out from there.

That's why I said not exactly good and not that he was evil.

The stuff with
him forcing lobotomys on dissidents
wasn't exactly the big blue boy scout though...

bryanee

As someone who just finished Arkham Asylum last month, this is immediately what I thought of when I saw the trailer. All that is missing is a scene where Batfleck uses a gargoyle take down on a thug. Sidenote: as a fan of everything DC I freaking love this game. I'm stoked to eventually play Arkham City and Knight, planning on skipping Origins because I heard it was bad but I can be convinced otherwise if anyone has a reason.

Origins is quite good. Its not up to the standard of the others but it does have a really good story and some nice twists if you don't know what happens. My biggest issues with the game are the open world is really drab with no life to it and the timing in combat is off compared to the others. Its worth checking out.

Ya'll are crazy with your marathons. I can barely sit through 2 movies in a row. At best I'll have it playing in the background while working on something. I do plan on seeing deadpool at a drive in tonight. I'm also reading Ostrander's spectre which is really good, and also watching Breaking Bad for the first time.

For me it's not even whether or not people like Superman or not, it's the hate that he gets. Like actively wishing he didn't exist or to have a justice league without him. I don't think I've ever seen that for any other heroes at all.

I just assume those people like anti-heroes and Superman represents the stereotypical hero, so they hate him. Or he's their father/grandfather's super hero and they want something new.

Effect

Catching up a bit on my backlog.
Same for the most part. Finishing up Xenoblade Chronicles X at the moment. Might go back and do more of the Riddler missions in Arkham City as we get closer to release day.

I have been considering reinstalling DC Universe Online again as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom