• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

I had never wanted to strangle a cartoon character before watching Young Justice, but Speedy's unrelenting and insufferable dickishness pushed me over the edge.

Tabby

I ordered Kingdom Come, I know nothing about it but I liked the artstyle.

Also, Young Justice is fantastic. Super entertaining and I dislike no character so far (episode 6). Also, Batman is just a boss, Supes an asshole.
Good choice. Kingdom Come is in my top 5, such a great read.

Penguin

Wonder if we'll get anything from this

CbIGOkfUYAAdoxE.jpg

Watch @BenAffleck & Henry Cavill on the @NBA All-Star Game Pre-Show tomorrow. @NBAonTNT #BatmanvSuperman #WhoWillWin

https://twitter.com/BatmanvSuperman/status/698627740329619456

I'm reading Affleck and Cavill will on the NBA All-Star pre-game show tomorrow and the Good Morning America show Tuesday. Isn't it early to get actors out there to promote the film?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
TNT is part of WB iirc right?

Makes sense to use the channel to promote their movie, now something big on ABC is weird since that channel is Disney. Unless GMA has a huge audience and they wanted to take advantage of that.

Error

I don't think this was leaked, WB made this throwaway account on youtube "MKJ Film Distributions" to get the trailer early on the internet before bootlegs hits without breaking the supposedly rights on the trailer some other 3rd parties had.

MKJ Film Distribution only upload on youtube is that trailer btw...

Slam dunk contest between the two. The Good Morning America BvS event is Tuesday morning.

Jeff Sneider from The Wrap suggested moving WW to Mothers Day next year. "Celebrate Wonder Women everywhere". May 14 is Mothers Day. Problem is it's inbetween Guardians 2 and Pirates.

Nice hook, but you're right. WB shifting WW to June 2nd, and The House to its 23rd space, is a clean option.

Random superhero related thought: In regards to the MCU and DC's slate of movies, people tend to say how the superhero movie bubble is going to burst eventually. Doesn't that make it seem like it's some recent trend? We've been getting superhero movies every year since 2002. Doesn't seem like something that'll be slowing down any time soon

strafer

Random superhero related thought: In regards to the MCU and DC's slate of movies, people tend to say how the superhero movie bubble is going to burst eventually. Doesn't that make it seem like it's some recent trend? We've been getting superhero movies every year since 2002. Doesn't seem like something that'll be slowing down any time soon

Oh no. We will we see superhero movies for at least 30 more years.

IconGrist

I see it likened to Westerns all the time but Westerns got really shitty. As many super hero movies as there are a lot of them are quality. Ranging from good to great with the occasional crappy one. People like good movies. As long as good super hero movies exist they will do well.

Saw Deadpool. No Batman v Superman trailer before the movie, but they did show the Suicide Squad one, and it was cool seeing that in theaters.

Deadpool was great, by the way.

IconGrist

How was the audience reaction to the Suicide Squad one?

Same thing happened to me. Like 22 minutes of trailers but no Batman v Superman. Super disappointed. They did show the recent SS trailer. Audience didn't react to any of the trailers shown (which included ID:R, Civil War, X-Men: AoA, among other high profile movies). The movie got an applause when it ended though. *shrug*

Decided to give DCUO another try while waiting for BvS. I think they improved the UI a bit and something just feels better playing it. I didn't realize choosing a different hero gives you a whole different starting quest experience. Wonder Woman's stuff is way more interesting to me than Batman's, more magic oriented than just apprehending Batman's villains.

I present the Crimson Failure!

A sorcery character, took inspiration from Dr. Fate/Spectre, ended up looking kind of like Azrael.

What did he fail at? Who knows! I was tired of trying to find a name that wasn't taken.

I'll have to invent a backstory later, but I like the idea of a hero who was the sole survivor of a universe dying.

edit: lmao, just realized vsync reduces it to 30 fps. damn you soe, i thought my rig wasn't good enough and it was just running like garbage.

Error

I had a character named Dr Moonshadow iirc, was some sorcery dude. I liked game until you were forced to sub because otherwise you are too gimped (inventory, bank space and only if you have sub can you use the AH), it's like a free demo until level 30.

I had a character named Dr Moonshadow iirc, was some sorcery dude. I liked game until you were forced to sub because otherwise you are too gimped (inventory, bank space and only if you have sub can you use the AH), it's like a free demo until level 30.

Yeah I'ma play until 30 (apparently it's quick to hit cap) and see if I want to keep playing or not. I might just pay for one month to get access to all the powers (have to make the chars before your sub lapses though) and a few more character slots.

Kind of want a rage lantern and a lightning character. Earth and Quantum sound neat as well.

3N16MA

Banned
How safe is this thread with spoilers? Should I even be here? I purposely avoided the BvS thread near the end because of spoilers. I saw someone type spoilers in a previous page and and bailed.

Please respond.

IconGrist

How safe is this thread with spoilers? Should I even be here? I purposely avoided the BvS thread near the end because of spoilers. I saw someone type spoilers in a previous page and and bailed.

Please respond.

The regulars are pretty good at tagging everything that is or might be a spoiler. Can't speak for every poster though.

Also, here's the leaked ending to Batman v Superman.

giphy.gif

3N16MA

Banned
The regulars are pretty good at tagging everything that is or might be a spoiler. Can't speak for every poster though.

Also, here's the leaked ending to Batman v Superman.

giphy.gif

Good to hear. I wasn't sure once the BvS thread moved in.

Poor Aquaman. Didn't get invited to the party.

Error

I see it likened to Westerns all the time but Westerns got really shitty. As many super hero movies as there are a lot of them are quality. Ranging from good to great with the occasional crappy one. People like good movies. As long as good super hero movies exist they will do well.
Superheroes movie actually got better over time with studios attaching more talent to them, and making them their flagship franchise in some cases. Western movies were never this popular, it's not really comparable. And with stuff like Deadpool making bank it allows the genre to diversify and get some much needed variety. We are getting stuff like SS and Dr Strange, even a female lead SH movie in Wonder Woman.

Penguin

Just finished watching LEGO Justice League Cosmic Clash, if you don't watch the LEGO Justice League movies really recommend the series. They also have a standing continuity.

This was probably my favorite so far. A ton of DC nods and pulling from various arcs, but with the great comedic sense that the series is known for. And the end battle was just a love letter to my tastes!

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Saw Deadpool. No Batman v Superman trailer before the movie, but they did show the Suicide Squad one, and it was cool seeing that in theaters.

Deadpool was great, by the way.

How was the audience reaction to the Suicide Squad one?

Same thing happened to me. Like 22 minutes of trailers but no Batman v Superman. Super disappointed. They did show the recent SS trailer. Audience didn't react to any of the trailers shown (which included ID:R, Civil War, X-Men: AoA, among other high profile movies). The movie got an applause when it ended though. *shrug*

There wasn't much of a reaction for any trailer. Most audiences I've run into are pretty quiet, aside from when they're laughing.

I think I heard some laughter when Boomerang came out of the bag.
When I saw Deadpool last night, they showed Civil War and Suicide Squad, both got good reactions, but SS got one a little better. There was a group of like 4 girls sitting right next to me (no boyfriends among them) who were noticeably excited for the SS trailer and were singing along to it and squealing when Harley showed up.

Can't believe they didn't show the X-Men trailer or any BvS trailers.

People talking about Joker and Batman being forced into squad to attract people, but I think Harley is the much bigger factor for bringing a new audience to these movies.

Too bad they can't force theaters to show only the third trailer, that is the one cut for comic book fans, well, in addition to the sdcc trailer.

Saw Deadpool, great movie, and got the chopped up Doomsday trailer. A little disappointed, but excited at the same time seeing how the only BvS trailer I've seen in the theater was the initial teaser last April and I more or less live at the theaters.

BadAss2961

When I saw Deadpool last night, they showed Civil War and Suicide Squad, both got good reactions, but SS got one a little better. There was a group of like 4 girls sitting right next to me (no boyfriends among them) who were noticeably excited for the SS trailer and were singing along to it and squealing when Harley showed up.

Can't believe they didn't show the X-Men trailer or any BvS trailers.
Nice to have Wonder Woman and Harley. Feminist icon and cosplay queen. Two angles covered.

Beta Stage

Neo Member
So GAF, who do you wish to see introduced down the line? Personally, I would like to see Steel at some point. He's like Iron Man but cooler. Plus, he would be a pretty good supporting character in a MoS sequel.

Ahasverus

People talking about Joker and Batman being forced into squad to attract people, but I think Harley is the much bigger factor for bringing a new audience to these movies.
Nice to have Wonder Woman and Harley. Feminist icon and cosplay queen. Two angles covered.
I've posted a few timea about how funny is that the general public are eating up Harley as a female Joker and making feminist/motivational posts with her pics.. Yeah they're in for a surprise.

So GAF, who do you wish to see introduced down the line? Personally, I would like to see Steel at some point. He's like Iron Man but cooler. Plus, he would be a pretty good supporting character in a MoS sequel.
Cassandra Cain either as Batgirl or Black Bat while Steph is Batgirl.
Catwoman as the semi villain in flashbacks, Kingpin at current times but actually a full hero as DCCU progresses(wants to shut down the crime families from within, but slowly starts doing heroics as Catwoman again).
Huntress for Birds of Prey
Black Canary also for Birds of Prey, maybe Justice League pt 2.
Zatanna
Teen Titans - Cartoon cast but Roy & or Wally replacing Cyborg. Slade/Deathstroke as big bad, Cheshire as a hired "lieutenant".
Poison Ivy as more of an anti-hero, possibly helping the BoP out. Established as friends with Harley and maybe Catwoman.
Slade

Skip Supergirl for a bit,
Power Girl & Huntress from Earth 2.

Barbara, Dick, Jason
are all but confirmed so i won't worry about them.

BadAss2961

No way we can revisit Steel. Shaq was just too good, people would never accept it.
I've posted a few timea about how funny is that the general public are eating up Harley as a female Joker and making feminist/motivational posts with her pics.. Yeah they're in for a surprise.

Yeah, this won't be pretty. Ayer's gonna go IN.

tim1138

Animal Man, Midnighter, the New Gods pantheon, Batgirl, Etrigan, Klarion, Swamp Thing, Madame Xanadu.

GeeTeeCee

The Bat family, not just Batman and Robin - Batgirl, Red Hood, Nightwing/Grayson etc, all of 'em.

I want to see the other lantern corps, even if it's just to build towards Blackest Night.

Error

http://www.batman-on-film.com/BvS_opinion_Jett_about-that-WB-worried-BvS-report_2-14-16.html

Honestly, I can’t call BS on this report as I know – based on the folks I’ve talked to who have knowledge of the situation – is that Warner Bros. is indeed concerned about how BvS will be received by audiences and thus, how it will perform at the box office. Personally, I think the right term to use is “nervous” as opposed to “worried”. With so much riding on BvS, it’s only natural for the studio to be nervous. I can also say that I know some people who have seen the film and they raved about it – which apparently is the opposite of what Mr. McWeeny has heard based on his comments in the video. Keep in mind that while BvS is a comic book-based film with superheroes, it isn’t “popcorn fluff”, if you will. Maybe Warner is nervous how the mainstream audience will react to such a film that’s frankly diametrically different from what Marvel is doing with their cinematic universe.

I don't know how many sources Jett still has at WB after Nolan Batman movies, but I'd reckon he still has a few.

Other topic, but I want more Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne or Barry Allen moments in the upcoming WB games.

I think Arkham series missed the opportunity to have Bruce Wayne moments.

Just too many to list, I left out the ones that are already confirmed officially or are extremely likely.

Dr. Fate
Martian Manhunter
Klarion
Etrigan
Hunter Zolomon
Deathstroke
Superboy Prime
Eclipso
Spectre
Swamp Thing
Amazo
Guy Gardner
Atrocitus
Larfleeze
Mongul + warworld
Manhunters
Black Lantern Corps
Anti-monitor
Sabbac
Dr. Sivanna
Ibac
Mr. Mind & the monster society (plz, I love Black Adam but it's almost always just him and maybe Sivana, never Captain Marvel's other rogues)
Mr. Freeze & Ivy

Some of them I'd be happy if they were just an intro to the movie. Like Amazo, just to show that the league is active between the movies, have a 5 minute fight scene with him.

GeeTeeCee

http://www.batman-on-film.com/BvS_opinion_Jett_about-that-WB-worried-BvS-report_2-14-16.html

I don't know how many sources Jett still has at WB after Nolan Batman movies, but I'd reckon he still has a few.

I don't see why some people are blowing this out of proportion. I imagine movie execs all across Hollywood are panicking before the launch of every major blockbuster these days. Seems pretty normal to worry about a film not connecting with audiences when you're pumping millions of dollars into one thing. As long as the execs don't start meddling with the film itself I see no reason to panic as an audience member.

Beta Stage

Neo Member
Other topic, but I want more Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne or Barry Allen moments in the upcoming WB games.

I think Arkham series missed the opportunity to have Bruce Wayne moments.

I just want a game with Clark Kent in it. One that does not have him going crazy or in Lego form. Please, WB -_-.

kmfdmpig

That's good to hear, although funny that the executives are worried about it being too serious even thought it's good. Dark Knight was not that long ago and did well.

Also, Deadpool and Daredevil show that movies don't have to fit the prototypical Marvel mold to do well.

Error

these movies need to have different tones, otherwise the genre will crash and burn because of lack of variety.

strafer

Why must they start doing this worried shit now when we are so close to release. Why not spreading some positive hype instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom