• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halcyon

Decided to give DCUO another try while waiting for BvS. I think they improved the UI a bit and something just feels better playing it. I didn't realize choosing a different hero gives you a whole different starting quest experience. Wonder Woman's stuff is way more interesting to me than Batman's, more magic oriented than just apprehending Batman's villains.

I present the Crimson Failure!

A sorcery character, took inspiration from Dr. Fate/Spectre, ended up looking kind of like Azrael.

What did he fail at? Who knows! I was tired of trying to find a name that wasn't taken.

I'll have to invent a backstory later, but I like the idea of a hero who was the sole survivor of a universe dying.

edit: lmao, just realized vsync reduces it to 30 fps. damn you soe, i thought my rig wasn't good enough and it was just running like garbage.

I used to play dcuo. I loved it for awhile but I hit a point where I couldn't get any progress done because I didn't spend any money and I didn't have any friends in game to get me past one of the humps.

I was a tier 4 or 5 ice tank and I had lots of fun with that game. Spent hours just flying around farming whatever those shiney balls were.

It was just a hard interface and communication was difficult on ps3.

ryan299

I don't see why some people are blowing this out of proportion. I imagine movie execs all across Hollywood are panicking before the launch of every major blockbuster these days. Seems pretty normal to worry about a film not connecting with audiences when you're pumping millions of dollars into one thing. As long as the execs don't start meddling with the film itself I see no reason to panic as an audience member.

Faraci and Drew are the ones who blew it out of proportion. WB had a awful year and they are fighting off a hostile takeover. The execs should be nervous, bc if the film fails they're all out of jobs.

Problem was Faraci and Drew heard about WB being nervous and decided to speculate that the whole DCU is in jeopardy. If they didn't do that people wouldn't have freaked out like they did.

Marvel was nervous about Guardians and Ant-Man, but nobody wrote a report saying everything is in jeopardy.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Why must they start doing this worried shit now when we are so close to release. Why not spreading some positive hype instead.

it's normal for a studio to be nervous, and in the case of WB it makes even more sense. They delayed this movie (was going to be released on 2015), and it really hurt them because they had a shit 2015, they had nothing to show for it. All their chips are riding on DC films now that they don't have any bonafide moneymaker (No new Harry Potter or LoTR films). The studio needs a franchise, and this is it to them. Not being nervous would have been the real surprise here, that part of McWeeny report is true but then he went on to speculate a worst-case scenario and made it sound like it was going to happening, and shit spread quickly.

Platy

Random superhero related thought: In regards to the MCU and DC's slate of movies, people tend to say how the superhero movie bubble is going to burst eventually. Doesn't that make it seem like it's some recent trend? We've been getting superhero movies every year since 2002. Doesn't seem like something that'll be slowing down any time soon

Probably Western fans sad that they genre basicaly died considering what it was in the Leone era =P

Oh I forgot one of my favorites, who has to be introduced
latest

preferably in an awesome fight scene together with Wonder Woman.

I used to play dcuo. I loved it for awhile but I hit a point where I couldn't get any progress done because I didn't spend any money and I didn't have any friends in game to get me past one of the humps.

I was a tier 4 or 5 ice tank and I had lots of fun with that game. Spent hours just flying around farming whatever those shiney balls were.

It was just a hard interface and communication was difficult on ps3.

Yeah I got to 10, still some fun but I'm not seeing the challenge yet, I don't think I've come anywhere close to dying. I'm assuming the challenge goes up a lot at 30? I'm kind of confused as to how the rotation plays out at the end as well. Is there any powers that are purely just stand back and cast, or is it always a mixture of using your weapon skills and powers?

I understand the game was made with a console audience in mind (so limited key mapping on a controller), but I still love the WoW type combat where you weave your skills around a rotation.

IconGrist

If I put $350 million into a movie that was supposed to be spearheading probably my most prolific money train with no guarantees of return I would be pretty goddamn nervous too.

strafer

it's normal for a studio to be nervous, and in the case of WB it makes even more sense. They delayed this movie (was going to be released on 2015), and it really hurt them because they had a shit 2015, they had nothing to show for it. All their chips are riding on DC films now that they don't have any bonafide moneymaker (No new Harry Potter or LoTR films). The studio needs a franchise, and this is it to them. Not being nervous would have been the real surprise here, that part of McWeeny report is true but then he went on to speculate a worst-case scenario and made it sound like it was going to happening, and shit spread quickly.

Shit that's right. WB has had some bad luck with movies recently.

This is like a big thing now.

Oh I forgot one of my favorites, who has to be introduced
latest

preferably in an awesome fight scene together with Wonder Woman.

Barda and Mr. Miracle need to show up for sure. With Darkseid en route, I'd call them a lock.

My big want is pretty obvious, but outside of him... bringing the Batman and Superman families in would be amazing.

Ahasverus

The critical success of Deadpool scares me of the reception of BvS. Critics might dislike it for trying to be over serious and "pretentious". I think critics tolerate far more "fun" comic book movies than serious ones, see, Mos vs Iron Man 3.

IconGrist

The critical success of Deadpool scares me of the reception of BvS. Critics might dislike it for trying to be over serious and "pretentious". I think critics tolerate far more "fun" comic book movies than serious ones, see, Mos vs Iron Man 3.

Iron Man 3 was so bad. Usually I can see why people like or love a movie even if I didn't but not with IM3. Worst MCU movie and it's not even close.

Error

TDK got a lot of critical acclaim, same as TDKR. I don't think being serious is the problem.

mooncakes

So GAF, who do you wish to see introduced down the line? Personally, I would like to see Steel at some point. He's like Iron Man but cooler. Plus, he would be a pretty good supporting character in a MoS sequel.

Not sure if Static is part of DC Comics but I would love to see Static in the universe. I want see the bang babies, the Dakota riot, and Ebon.

Other characters I would want to be introduce is The Penguin, Riddler, Oliver Queen, and Back Manta.

Pachimari

I want Oliver Queen and Riddler to be introduced. Poison Ivy too but there are hints of her in Suicide Squad right?

I'm in the midst of a rewatch of Man of Steel. It's my 3rd watch and I didn't like it before at all. It was actually a real bore which made me fall asleep the first time.

Upon my current rewatch I have to say that the intro is magnificent and incredibly beautiful. The whole of Krypton and space is super interesting and it's really beautifully shot. I think it have taken a little dive since the introduction of Lois Lane in the Daily Planet helicopter and her trying to tell the story now. Anyway, I'm 45 minutes in.

I have serious concerns about the BO and critical reception of this film as well. Compare the trailers of this to that of MoS and you'll realise that it seems to lack any substance. Is this a glorified 2 hour fist-fight? Where is the story? The plot? The characters?

Peru

65 on metacritic, the success is more commercial.

Boke1879

I have serious concerns about the BO and critical reception of this film as well. Compare the trailers of this to that of MoS and you'll realise that it seems to lack any substance. Is this a glorified 2 hour fist-fight? Where is the story? The plot? The characters?

The story/plot is pretty obvious though. batman views Superman as a threat. No need to really go deeper than that.

Error

if you don't get the basic premise of the movie from the trailers then I don't know what to say. Superman and Zod slug it out while half of Metropolis is leveled by the World Engine and then their subsequent fight, Bruce Wayne was admist all this and saw the destruction first-hand. The world doesn't know what to make of Superman, is he a savior? a tyrant in the making? is it safe to have someone with so much power allowed to roam free unchecked? Lex hates everything that Superman stands for, so he manipulates Batman (taking advatange of Bruce Wayne paranoic nature) into fighting each other. Plot goes from there.

The plot makes sense to me :shrugs, it''s the continuation of what happened at the end of MoS and the impact of Superman going public has on the world.

The Green Arrow in the Arrow TV show sucks ass when you watch the animated movies and series with Green Arrow.

Arrow from the TV show is like bad Batman with bow & arrows.

a916

At least we have Flash, Gotham, Supergirl and Legends.

Wait, Gotham is that much better now? I really like Flash and Gotham but I'm having a hard time watching Arrow... it's just a whole bunch of characters I don't care about and those flashbacks really ruin the pacing.

Error

Yeah they said Ollie was going to lighten up on Season 4 but it's the same old Ollie from Arrow. Disappointing.

I haven't watched a new episode since the midseason finale.

Boke1879

Wait, Gotham is that much better now? I really like Flash and Gotham but I'm having a hard time watching Arrow... it's just a whole bunch of characters I don't care about and those flashbacks really ruin the pacing.

Yea the first half of season 2 of Gotham was just amazing. Such a joy to watch.

While I do like watching Arrow it's like I'm watching it out of reflex. Watching it just because really.

Tabby

Gotham hasn't took it's foot off the gas since the last few episodes of the first season and it's been amazing since then.

I've pretty much gave up watching Arrow. Start of season 4 was promising but it's really not that much better than season 3.

They've butchered Black Canary. The drama is unbearable. The fight choreography lacks focus now. Flashbacks are boring. The writing is eh.
I miss when character's actually had lives other than fighting crime, when there were actually stories to be told other than being a superhero. Laurel's role this season has been "I'll go check with the SCPD and see what they have".

What made me gave up is them giving into the Tumblr shipping crowd. Oliver and Felicity getting married and riding off into the sunset sounds like bad fan fiction and I can't believe they actually fucking did it. They have no chemistry together, I don't care about Felicity, her actress is unbearable to watch. She was fun as a quirky nerdy character but when she gets more attention than a lead actress then there's something wrong.

Pachimari

Gotham is the best comic book show bar none. And I just watched the episode before the latest one of Arrow and I'm so close to shelving it. I really thought the start of Season 4 were back to S2 quality but right now it's a can of shit. It's a show that just annoys me now.

Ahasverus

Arrow's romance feels too much like a soap opera.

As for what I'd want to see in the DCEU, I want them to change the cyborg movie to a Teen Titans film. It's nice to want things...:-(
Nobody wants that Cyborg film. Really. Count on it beingretooled into something else, hopefully the Titans.

Penguin

Since we're discussing DC Shows... even though a dedicated thread for that as well...

In alphabetical order

Arrow - I'm still a fan. I guess I like the characters and the world enough. I do think they need to kill off some of the main cast and get some new blood in there. Not because I dislike many of them, but because I think it was a problem to make them all involved in the heroics of the show.

It nerfs Oliver's fighting, and then it really drops a lot of the personal turmoil. I know folks don't like the drama, but it's nice for the characters to have something else to do aside from the case of the week business. And when they are ALL in the know, the show tends to focus on that.

And yeah the flashbacks which were good in season 1/2 have become more and more of a pace killer because they hardly relate to the current day events so just feel jarring.

Gotham - You either get or don't get Gotham. I mean there's hardly any middle ground. And I don't mean it's a show you give time to get better (though season 2 is so much better), but it's a show with a tone so unique to it that people sometimes have trouble reconciling that with their expectations. It's not super dark and gritty, but it is... it isn't super campy, but it is. I think people were thrown by that and it has been hard for folks to overcome that. But I love the show for it. It's really unlike anything else on television in its sensibility.

iZombie - A show I dig, but also find it can be tiresome since the whole joke with different personalities can be trite depending on the week. And it always seems to create drama for her relationships at the right time. That said the cast and writing tends to be on point!

Legends of Tomorrow -Now this is a show conflicted on. Love it. It has exceeded my expectations. But even 4 episodes in, it's starting to feel like the show lacks forward momentum at time. Like it feels a lot more procedural than its counterparts. With the chase for Vandal and having to split up the team and the in-fighting. But like said only 4 episodes. Could really start mixing it up soon.

Lucifer - It's a police procedural with a charming lead. Not my cup of tea, but works for some

The Flash - I don't think anything else can really compare with this show since it gets to play on the insane portion of comic books like nothing else on TV (or heck even in movies) It has the most jaw-dropping moments of any of the other shows. The cast is great. The heart is there. The drama never lasts long enough to wear out its welcome. Unlike Arrow where everyone is involved in the heroics, only The Flash is really involved in the combat aspect of it. Great time for the most part. Though really need to work on the Barry/Iris stuff.

Supergirl - Had a rough start, but since finding its groove has really found its groove. The supporting cast are the stars with Cat and Hank being the best two characters, but the team all gels well. One big mark against it is the weird love triangle/square or whatever. It isn't needed and really drags down some interactions.

WhiteWolf

I lost interest in Gotham when I saw the episode with the ballon guy. Is it still that level of silliness?
Yeah, Gotham revels in its silliness. Gordon gunned down a guy carrying dynamite and he exploded. Two people during the mid season finale jumped out of a building and used parachutes to glide away. Riddler sings a song to a bedridden Penguin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom