• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
After that and the word that Wolverine 3 is going to be R rated, I worry that they think that gore and tits is going to sell no matter what.

Deadpool did well because it actually gave a shit about the source material, not because of the body count.

I wouldn't mind a violent Wolverine movie, tbh.

wolverine has done well in the PG13 rating why fix what's not broken not that I mind if they do but why risk it?

But.. it hasn't done that well. Speaking domestically, $53 million opening and $132 million total for The Wolverine. It did alright in terms of reception too in my opinion.

ryan299

I'm wondering if he has a cameo in BvS. They cast him so goddamn early. We don't even know who Green Lantern is yet and he's one of the main League members.

He's booked the next 12 months. Said he's filming Baywatch, Fast 8 and Rampage straight, so I wouldn't expect to see him in JL1

Wow...completely forgot The Rock is in the DCU.

Maybe they should move Shazam's movie up a few years.

I think it was someone over at Collider movie talk that made the point that WB has been very silent regarding Shazam. They discussed the fact that the movie was not even mentioned in the DCEU special on the CW and they came to the conclusion that this was evidence of trouble for the film. I tend to agree, on the one hand the movie is so far away so I can see why they don't want to build hype too early... but realistically I can see WB change their minds about Shazam opting to take the universe in a different direction. They have been seemingly playing everything by ear. I was listening to a Ryan Reynolds interview on Opie's show and said why he thought Green Lantern bombed was because the movie was announced before the script was even written. The lack of a Kevin Feige steering them in a certain direction has made them more reactionary to everything. They really need to get like Geoff Johns steering that ship. All that being said, I don't think it's the end of the world if we don't see a Shazam movie. So long as they have a vision it should be fine, and even if the movie is scarped we'll probably see Black Adam in some capacity, perhaps in a Justice League movie.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Latino Review is now parroting WB is worried about Batman v Superman. They supposedly fear it is not as accessible as they would like and may cause it to be viewed as polarizing as Man of Steel. LR says WB is not concerned with the quality of the film but they will be paying close attention to what worked and didn't work for audiences. Snyder is in no danger of being kicked off the Justice League movies but depending on BvS' reception they may retool things post JL.

I took that last part in context to mean more GA friendly. Possibly closer to Marvel's style.
I loved MoS so I'm more than good with this. MoS with Batman and Wonder Woman with a better script. Sign me up!

Isn't Shazam with New Line now? And isn't New Line considered a different universe?

I've said it before, but I doubt Shazam happens and if it does, it won't be connected to the overall cinematic universe. They should probably try to convince the Rock into taking a different role to be honest.

Penguin

Glad to see my "Choice Words" is taking off! :p

I think it was someone over at Collider movie talk that made the point that WB has been very silent regarding Shazam. They discussed the fact that the movie was not even mentioned in the DCEU special on the CW and they came to the conclusion that this was evidence of trouble for the film. I tend to agree, on the one hand the movie is so far away so I can see why they don't want to build hype too early... but realistically I can see WB change their minds about Shazam opting to take the universe in a different direction. They have been seemingly playing everything by ear. I was listening to a Ryan Reynolds interview on Opie's show and said why he thought Green Lantern bombed was because the movie was announced before the script was even written. The lack of a Kevin Feige steering them in a certain direction has made them more reactionary to everything. They really need to get like Geoff Johns steering that ship. All that being said, I don't think it's the end of the world if we don't see a Shazam movie. So long as they have a vision it should be fine, and even if the movie is scarped we'll probably see Black Adam in some capacity, perhaps in a Justice League movie.

Eh, I think sometimes people overreact to the lack of information as the sky is falling

1)The movie is years off. I mean they mentioned GL, but that was it.
2)It's not a purely Warner production to my knowledge, they are sharing it with New Line
3)It has been rumored that it would be out of continuity with the DCEU since... pretty much the beginning.

I don't think it's been cancelled but I think Shazam and Cyborg will be the first ones cut if Aquaman & WW don't hit target goals.

If we don't get a director & lead announced for it by SDCC I don't think it's happening. Aquaman is the furthest film out for 2018 and we got James Wan attached since last year.

Personally I think Geoff Johns is pulling some Sith Lord type shit and has control over the properties, going by his influence over TV. Shazam is one of his pet characters so I don't think he'll let go of it lightly. I'm surprised he was part of the slate in the first place. He's not traditionally associated with the league, but I guess neither is cyborg.

bryanee

I hope Shazam isn't out of continuity with the DCCU. Billy and Adam might not be in a JL flick but I'd like to hear them mentioned.

a916

It would be really stupid of them to start doing one offs when they're trying to get the DCEU off and running.

Shazam is part of the JL universe in the comics, I have no idea why WB would be foolish enough to take The Rock and shove him into a title that won't be related to the DC Universe.

Make Cavill go at it with Black Adam. This could be the intro to Shazam and serve as a way of getting Cavill a strong foil.

ryan299

I don't think it's been cancelled but I think Shazam and Cyborg will be the first ones cut if Aquaman & WW don't hit target goals.

If we don't get a director & lead announced for it by SDCC I don't think it's happening. Aquaman is the furthest film out for 2018 and we got James Wan attached since last year.

Personally I think Geoff Johns is pulling some Sith Lord type shit and has control over the properties, going by his influence over TV. Shazam is one of his pet characters so I don't think he'll let go of it lightly. I'm surprised he was part of the slate in the first place. He's not traditionally associated with the league, but I guess neither is cyborg.

Even if all the movies are hits, I still don't see Cyborg getting a solo movie. He's a huge risk and I see them turning his film into a Titans one.

It would be really stupid of them to start doing one offs when they're trying to get the DCEU off and running.

Shazam is part of the JL universe in the comics, I have no idea why WB would be foolish enough to take The Rock and shove him into a title that won't be related to the DC Universe.

Make Cavill go at it with Black Adam. This could be the intro to Shazam and serve as a way of getting Cavill a strong foil.

I want to say The Rock was attached to the project before talk of it going to New Line and not being in the cinematic universe.

Glad to see my "Choice Words" is taking off! :p

Eh, I think sometimes people overreact to the lack of information as the sky is falling

1)The movie is years off. I mean they mentioned GL, but that was it.
2)It's not a purely Warner production to my knowledge, they are sharing it with New Line
3)It has been rumored that it would be out of continuity with the DCEU since... pretty much the beginning.

GET OUT OF HERE WITH YOUR LOGIC PENGUIN. OVERREACTING IS THE ONLY THING SOME OF US HAVE! D8<

Seriously though, not to sound like a whiny fanboy, but if Captain Marvel/Shazam is not going to be done within the DCEU continuity, I'd rather they didn't do them at all.

Even if all the movies are hits, I still don't see Cyborg getting a solo movie. He's a huge risk and I see them turning his film into a Titans one.

I'm really hoping they do a BvS type of announcement at this years comic con for the Cyborg movie. Quote some epic line from the Judas contract, room goes black, then on the big screen you see Cyborg's logo inside a giant T.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I wonder what are WB expectations for some of these movies, surely they can't expect each one to be in the billion dollar club. Only 3 movies of the entire Marvel slate has reached that milestone. I think even with Batman v Superman they should take it easy, best to build a brand and recognition, than to be disappointed because it didn't meet expectations and then do hasty decisions.

We have this discussion every time we bring Shazam up lmao. I think the honest truth is nothing is set in stone creatively yet. I imagine whatever script they're working with will have connections to the DCEU added in later and they won't be integral to the film's story.

Here's the last two statements made about the film I can find.

Here is how the movie is coming in... reported about 9 months ago...

The Rock talking about if the universe is connected... again about a year ago

Yeah I imagine most of these smaller films will have a draw. Just like squad has Joker and Batman (but I think Harley alone gives those two a run for their money), I'm guessing Cyborg will have Deathstroke and some other popular DC heroes.

ryan299

Xysc26A.png

Magwik

Banned
After that and the word that Wolverine 3 is going to be R rated, I worry that they think that gore and tits is going to sell no matter what.

Deadpool did well because it actually gave a shit about the source material, not because of the body count.

Eh, The Wolverine was already R-rated anyways. Not a big deal here.

rokero

I thought they said the Shazam movie was not in the same universe as the Justice League thats why the movie is being made by New Line

The confirmation of Khandaq in BvS almost solidifies Shazam as official in the JL universe.

That's a good point, but it's not necessarily true, they've name dropped Khandaq a handful of times in arrowverse but haven't delivered on it yet.

I thought they said the Shazam movie was not in the same universe as the Justice League thats why the movie is being made by New Line

Here is the original comments that started the confusion

“It feels to me like Shazam will have a tone unto itself,” New Line president Toby Emmerich told the outlet. “It’s a DC comic, but it’s not a Justice League character, and it’s not a Marvel comic. The tone and the feeling of the movie will be different from the other range of comic book movies.”

Emmerich went on to clarify about the film’s tone, adding it “will have a sense of fun and a sense of humor. But the stakes have to be real.”

So people read into the "not a justice league character" a bit. I think what he had meant was that tonally he wasn't like the rest of the league, considering the first statement. Alternatively he could have meant he's not one of the founding seven, which he usually isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom