• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

IconGrist

I kinda feel sorry for Gal. She's filming Wonder Woman right now and then has to immediately turn around and start filming Justice League.

But I don't feel sorry for her in the "she's about to make a decent chunk of money" sense.

Magwik

Banned
I kinda feel sorry for Gal. She's filming Wonder Woman right now and then has to immediately turn around and start filming Justice League.

But I don't feel sorry for her in the "she's about to make a decent chunk of money" sense.
I can only imagine she is having the time of her life portraying Wonder Woman to millions.

Alienous

I kind of think I prefer Alfred's background in this to his background in the comics.

It makes sense, and it might also even be a better explanation for why Alfred feels so indebted to Bruce.

a916

To be fair... she knew the schedule before anyone else and okay'd it. She also has like 5 movies coming out this year, so she's been on her hustle. Hopefully back to back allows her to really sink into her character.

Looks like DC's people are having fun with that rumour

mooUtfq.jpg

So can we lay to bed the dumb arguement that there's no one overseeing this DCEU? Geoff Johns name has been bandied about constantly along with Snyder and Kevin Tsujihara

IconGrist

To be fair... she knew the schedule before anyone else and okay'd it. She also has like 5 movies coming out this year, so she's been on her hustle. Hopefully back to back allows her to really sink into her character.

I'm looking forward to Triple 9 even though her role is small and Criminal looks decent at least.

Ahasverus

I think it's crazy we've had 70 years without a WW film and suddenly we'll have 3 in little more than a year.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Uh no not really. If you look at Hollywood accounting a huge amount of successful films barely return a profit

Not everything is an anti DC conspiracy

if that's the norm then why single out this movie? just tired of this nonsense.

Maddocks

Uh no not really. If you look at Hollywood accounting a huge amount of successful films barely return a profit

Yup, I still think they have it so that Harry Potter franchise broke even just so they don't have to pay any extra money to its creator or actors who have a % in the film. Slimy, but expected.

I'm sure WB is upset that there is even a 32% chance, they rather it be lower, that way its easier to hide the money.

Error

Well, according to this algorithm Warcraft the movie has a better chance of turning in a profit.

and Zootopia has a 55% chance of earning at least 7.3 mill on theaters. 7.3 mill for Zootopia is pretty much a given it has to be the flop of all flops to not even reach that amount. Do these bloggers actually read these things before posting this crap?

Penguin

Plus this film is rumored to have a bloated budget. I imagine they expect to make their money back on merchandise and the rest of the films being a success if this gets a big response

Oh I know Hollywood math is fuzzy

And most films don't "turn a profit" though make money

But it's the number using I guess. Like the budget for this film has been anywhere from 250 million to 500 million, and no one seems to agree on a figure.

Hollywood accounting is complete bullshit.

Deadpool's budget was 50 million

Deadpool's opening weekend was 132 million

Do you think it "turned a profit" according to Fox? Nope.

Someone is getting very rich off of movies, but somehow movies don't make any money.

But it's the number using I guess. Like the budget for this film has been anywhere from 250 million to 500 million, and no one seems to agree on a figure.

Its prolly upwards of 300 or something. Too bad the real budgets of any of these movies are rarely reported. Would be interesting

Which is the most bloated? That's the figure.

But honestly, I couldn't say. If I had to guess, I think it's somewhere in the middle.

That site is a complete embarrassment. How they even get to call themselves Comic Book Resources is beyond me.

Doesn't CBR use the contributor method for articles? I think giving ransom readers with some arbitrary amount of standing the ability to post articles is stupid.

jackdoe

http://www.*****************/sciencetech/article-3449534/Is-Batman-v-Superman-set-flop-AI-predicts-superhero-movie-32-change-making-profit.html

Haha. That's the source of the CBR report. A banned site. The way they designed the algorithm was kind of funky as well. For instance, they cite these as the most important factors:

The study found five factors have the strongest correlation for a movie to turn a profit:
Director–cast partnership: If the cast and director have a history of making profitable movies together
The average gross of a director’s previous movies
Winter release date
A cast of actors who have a history of making profitable movies
Annual profit percentage by genre

And I wouldn't be surprised if Zack Snyder's two bombs (Sucker Punch and Legend of Guardians) and Ben Affleck's period of unprofitability skewed the percentages down.

Penguin

Okay, I'm not one of those tin-foil hat wearing folks, but I have to say the... reception around this movie before release is beginning to become comical...

Won't link the article, but here's a headline and subtitle to a new article on a site...

The Worst Batman V Superman Scenario That No One Is Talking About
What if Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice ends up being The Amazing Spider-Man 2?

jackdoe

It wouldn't count Sucker Punch or Guardians because, according to the algorithm/article, it's only using films released between 2000-2010 as a basis.
Yeah, you're right. For some reason, I thought Sucker Punch was released in 2010. But holy shit at Ben Affleck during this period of time. The absolute nadir of his career.

Okay, I'm not one of those tin-foil hat wearing folks, but I have to say the... reception around this movie before release is beginning to become comical...

Won't link the article, but here's a headline and subtitle to a new article on a site...

Does it mean that like literally or just in terms of being overstuffed and not giving the principal villain enough time to shine?

Because the latter is a pretty common line.

Ahasverus

Please let this movie to be either the next Dark Knight or the most wholly vanilla empty blockbuster ever made. I don't want 5 more years of passionate divided opinions. I really can't take it.

BadAss2961

People have just caught on that doomsday scenarios for Batman v Superman get a lot of clicks. These quickly become the top BvS articles in google searches. So we'll be seeing a lot of them.

Penguin

Does it mean that like literally or just in terms of being overstuffed and not giving the principal villain enough time to shine?

Because the latter is a pretty common line.

Somewhere in the middle

The idea that it has a lot of world-building to do, and if it ends up being a bomba would be a waste

IconGrist

I just hope I like the movie. I don't care about the rest. If everyone else likes it and it makes a ton of money and we get all those promised movies then great. If it bombs and the whole thing gets shut down well okay but at least I liked what I ended up getting out of MoS and BvS.

BadAss2961

ASM2 failed because it just wasn't that good, not because it stretched itself thin. The original kept it very basic and was just as uninspiring.

Penguin

ASM2 failed because it just wasn't that good, not because it stretched itself thin. The original kept it very basic and was just as uninspiring.

You can fail for both reasons.

It was a movie that lost all sense of momentum and identity in the middle portion as they lay the groundworks for sequels

On top of being a pretty flat movie.

Okay maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not too worried about this because WB tends to let the creator follow their own vision. They tend not to meddle during production like Fox and Sony, though I know there have been some instances of this (Wonder Woman both times). But no, I feel like the failure of TAS2 was that it had too many cooks in the kitchen with the big heads wanting to go in different direction ultimately leading the movie nowhere. An argument could be made that Chris Terrio's last minute addition could meddle things up, but from what I understand he was there just to clean up dialogue and some minor script stuff and not change major story events. If this movie flops the blame will fall primarily on Snyder and rightfully so.

GeeTeeCee

I'm suddenly aware that I can only remember two parts of Amazing Spider-Man 2: the first Electro fight and the second Electro fight (and aftermath). I can't even remember anything particularly specific about these scenes; just that they happened.

Basically, I'm pretty confident that making a film as bland as ASM2 isn't humanly possible.

BadAss2961

You can fail for both reasons.

It was a movie that lost all sense of momentum and identity in the middle portion as they lay the groundworks for sequels

On top of being a pretty flat movie.
You can fail for both reasons, but the series never gained much momentum to lose in the first place. I could see that being the excuse had there been certain aspects that really caught on and got lost in all the world building, but there was never any potential there outside of the brand itself.

Both entries were mostly flat. Spidey was pretty good, but that Peter just didn't work. ASM was a retread that came too soon, and the sequel was just an extension of that with an abysmal Electro and foreshadowing that went nowhere because nothing was interesting and there was never any goodwill established.

Error

You can't really compare the two anyway. BvS has a novelty factor going in that TASM never had, that is Superman and Batman on screen in a live-action movie for the first time. Not only that, there's WW who has never been in a film.

You could argue that WB is doing with Batman what Sony did with SM that is rebooting the character even though its last outing (TDKR in Batman's case) was released not long ago, but WB is giving us another kind of Batman and aside from the possibly death of the Waynes montage, BvS isn't an origin movie for Bats since this version of the character already has an established history.

Very different factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom