• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahasverus

I think he'll take a few punches in the fight, but I think Terrio is smart enough to know he needs to establish why the world needs a Superman, or basically to prove Batman wrong.
What I think is that many, many bad things are going to happen to Supes. Then his conviction will be used as to why "the world needs a Superman".
I agree. I think I'm just not a soundtrack guy. The only "soundtrack" music I own are all the Batman: TAS volumes. It always kinda fascinates me when I see people go crazy or deep dive into soundtrack music for movies and TV shows. I hardly even notice it playing (which is good I guess? That means it's not annoying me to the point where I actually notice it).
Honestly, BTAS sountrack is just out of this world. You'll find few, if any standalone scores as good as that one. It's just the way it is.

ryan299

Red Capes was good. The Batman and Superman themes were alright. I didn't feel like they were iconic, but we'll see how they're used.

Effect

You know the Batman v Superman hate train is bad when Grace Randolph makes a video about it and defends the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il5IgU_IsSw

Even Collider touched upon it... Kristian and Dennis who are super level headed and even keeled were like, there's definitely a stronger reaction to DC where everything is nitpicked because there's only one flag in the ground (Man of Steel)

I would like to think it's starting to piss a number of the level headed people off. The negative hits toward the film just seem to based on nothing I think and I hope people see that. It's not like particular things are producing the over the top negative reactions. It's as if people are hitting it just to hit it at this point. I can understand being concerned a film will be bad. We all have those feelings. Looking at comments in various places there is a group of people that honestly want it fail and are praying it does at times. I don't get that.

I don't know what you guys see (hear?) in those themes, but I find them so boring and non memorable. Elfman's/Walkers Batman theme will always be the Batman theme to me. Reeve Superman movie theme and even Superman TAS theme just "pop" Superman to me. Even Dark Knight's Batman theme had some sort of catchy hook that you could hum or sorta sing and people knew what you were talking about. I just get nothing from these themes like that. Maybe I need to hear them in context with what's happening in the film?

This is my thinking. The other tracks are imbued with context, memories. These are just floating in a vacuum.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Faraci will never live it down, especially with his 'BvS has some interesting ideas, but its going to look fashioned next to Age of Ultron tweet'

I don't know, dude has a pretty distinct taste when it comes to superhero movies. He doesn't like overly serious stuff, iirc he trashed Daredevil and remember his "I'm hearing bad buzz on Daredevil" report?

The problem with Faraci is that if he doesn't like something, then he is going to go ham on it instead of just ignoring it.

I don't know, dude has a pretty distinct taste when it comes to superhero movies. He doesn't like overly serious stuff, iirc he trashed Daredevil and remember his "I'm hearing bad buzz on Daredevil" report?

The problem with Faraci is that if he doesn't like something, then he is going to go ham on it instead of just ignoring it.

Oh, I don't think he is a hypocrite. If anything, I completely respect his consistency; he likes what he likes.

What I meant is that it was such a weirdly specific complaint, and that Ultron brought absolutely NOTHING new to the table, I feel that he is going to be writing a lot of articles about said subject

rokero

Saw an article earlier today, about the Hitflix guy tweeting he started the WB execs are nervous rumor because he feels WB/DC tried to steal Deadpool's thunder by releasing the final trailer the day Deapool hit theaters, pretty pathetic if true, thing is the article has since been deleted so was the tweet realor more bs ?

Error

Saw an article earlier today, about the Hitflix guy tweeting he started the WB execs are nervous rumor because he feels WB/DC tried to steal Deadpool's thunder by releasing the final trailer the day Deapool hit theaters, pretty pathetic if true, thing is the article has since been deleted so was the tweet realor more bs ?

probably BS, I doubt he would pull off something like that just because.

BadAss2961

Was just reading about that in a youtube comment (Grace Randolph vid) and shrugged it off. Why the hell would WB care about Deadpool?

Heard another rumor that McWeeny was just mad that Zack dissed him somehow. Maybe a missed interview or something like when he got all salty about Tom Hardy.

Error

I remember about the Tom Hardy stuff, dude went on an epic rant on twitter. Called Tom Hardy a 'delicate fucking flower' for not showing up for an interview lol

a916

I would like to think it's starting to piss a number of the level headed people off. The negative hits toward the film just seem to based on nothing I think and I hope people see that. It's not like particular things are producing the over the top negative reactions. It's as if people are hitting it just to hit it at this point. I can understand being concerned a film will be bad. We all have those feelings. Looking at comments in various places there is a group of people that honestly want it fail and are praying it does at times. I don't get that.

Remember when they very first teaser trailer came out last year... io9 or someone on that network along with Polygon posted an article going "THIS IS WHY DC WILL FAIL" Like cool it with the premature fanboying. When did dark = fail?

BadAss2961

I remember about the Tom Hardy stuff, dude went on an epic rant on twitter. Called Tom Hardy a 'delicate fucking flower' for not showing up for an interview lol
lol

Either way I think Drew knew what he was he was with that video. Maybe he heard something, but i'm guessing he embellished, a lot. Could've been for the clicks, over a beef, or both. The timing of it, right after the final trailer got out, was no coincidence.

Magwik

Banned
You'd think that Deadpools overwhelming success is more than enough for people to realize that the public wants different types of superhero movies. Also that sample of The Red Capes are Coming is fantastic.

If that is the metric then a lot of execs are worried when they release trailers the week of hotly anticipated movies. Instead, they're just looking to get something in front of people and the biggest movie between then and BvS was Deadpool. I swear this movie kills logic for some.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I don't know what you guys see (hear?) in those themes, but I find them so boring and non memorable. Elfman's/Walkers Batman theme will always be the Batman theme to me. Reeve Superman movie theme and even Superman TAS theme just "pop" Superman to me. Even Dark Knight's Batman theme had some sort of catchy hook that you could hum or sorta sing and people knew what you were talking about. I just get nothing from these themes like that. Maybe I need to hear them in context with what's happening in the film?
I'm right there with you. I think the days of truly beautiful and sweeping heroic scores are becoming more and more rare. I like Zimmer but I don't like how so many composers in the industry riff off of his use of bombastic drums and synth. One Zimmer is more than enough Zimmer for this world. This isn't unique to him but the industry at large. The only theme song I can recall from ALL of Marvel's output is the Avengers theme. Everything else is forgettable. Bring back motifs!

We need more John Williams and Michael Giacchinos in this world.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure what I'm more interested in - A review that simply says "Apparently we are good" OR that there is a NolanFans website.

H1yCNVn.jpg

Also, goddamn those track samples. Never doubt Zimmer, love that man. Lex theme is amazing. One month left...

I'd believe a low key post from NF over any other site at this point. Knowing about NF is quite the leap, most people are going to go for reddit and imdb if they want to troll.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Searching through his/her post history, seems like a fan. Doesn't get the hate etc. all that stuff. So hopefully it's the truth and not some made up bullshit. Also, the friend liking it doesn't say much. There is that.

a916

So, this person on NF claims his/her friend went to a screening (today) and is positive about it.

http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16900&start=1020

Not buying it myself, but oh well.

Yeah, neither am I... some random people aren't getting a screening right now. You have to be on the inside... also, wasn't this movie screening last year too? I don't get why the rumors are surfacing now that they are worried? I mean we could easily take WB screening it infront of so many eyes for so long as a sign of nervousness too...

guek

Banned
So, this person on NF claims his/her friend went to a screening (today) and is positive about it.

http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16900&start=1020

Not buying it myself, but oh well.

I take all judgements, good or bad, of any early screening of a high profile movie with a mountain of salt, but BvS in particular is one of those movies where early reactions are especially dangerous. There's too much personal investment with this movie with too many people already making up their minds on whether it'll be terrible or amazing long before seeing the actual film.

The early twitter reactions are going to be a shitshow. You'll have your typical enthusiast fans raving about how they were blown away, the same way they rave about just about every early comic book movie screening, and then you'll have the people with an axe to grind that have been waiting anxiously to take an authoritative dump on the film as quickly as possible.

Yeah, neither am I... some random people aren't getting a screening right now. You have to be on the inside... also, wasn't this movie screening last year too? I don't get why the rumors are surfacing now that they are worried? I mean we could easily take WB screening it infront of so many eyes for so long as a sign of nervousness too...

Not really. There was a focus group screening a few months ago. You won't hear shit from that one though it wasn't a full theater. There could have been another one since then. Suicide Squad has screened for WB friends and family already. Both movies are supposedly good. One of them being one of the best comic book movies to date.

ryan299

McWeeny just wrote a article aboutfantrums.

He backs up his initial report.

While I would never name a source unless they were speaking officially on-the-record, I will offer you this: what began as a single conversation led to two other conversations, and in the time since our video was published, there have been three more conversations. In each case, the people I've spoken with are people I know well, people who work in positions where they have direct access to the materials we've discussed, and (this is the important one) who have a direct stake in the success of the overall slate at DC Films. As in, these are people who want these films to perform well for professional reasons. These are people who have a direct financial interest in these films doing well. These are people who took no joy or pleasure in reporting these things to me. That was not the point of any of the conversations. No one was gloating. No one was gleeful.

The tweet you're referring to is completely fake and was fabricated by some oversensitive DC fan who wanted to portray McWeeny as a Marvel fanboy with an axe to grind against the DCCU. Which is utter nonsense, given that he loved Man of Steel.

Drew should just admit he was parroting Devin's bullshit.

Nice job of proving his point.

IconGrist

The tweet you're referring to is completely fake and was fabricated by some oversensitive DC fan who wanted to portray McWeeny as a Marvel fanboy with an axe to grind against the DCCU. Which is utter nonsense, given that he loved Man of Steel.

Not to stand on either side of the line but just because he liked a movie 3 years ago doesn't all of a sudden mean his opinion, motives, agenda or sense of humor are immune to questioning. Especially when as far as anyone can tell this particular telling of this story only comes from him and Faraci.

Not to stand on either side of the line but just because he liked a movie 3 years ago doesn't all of a sudden mean his opinion, motives, agenda or sense of humor are immune to questioning. Especially when as far as anyone can tell this particular telling of this story only comes from him and Faraci.

Read a few posts above you.

And LOL at "agenda."

He said the same thing Devin said word for word a few days after Devin twitted about it.

And Drew doesn't have an agenda. He wants the movie to be good. He has at times trusted Devin too much. He also doubles down when he feels like he may have step outside of his lane. When he's sure of himself he takes a wait and see approach.

ryan299

He said the same thing Devin said word for word a few days after Devin twitted about it.

He did. Devin, as bad as he is, just reported it as a rumor on twitter, McWeeny made a video and reported it as if it's actually happening.

The piece I ran was an opinion piece, but it was sourced from several different places. In the piece, if you'll actually take the time to read the whole thing again, you'll see that I was having trouble believing any studio would say that about an entire slate of films.

Problem is he ran the video first and the video doesn't come off as a opinion at all. He reports Snyder getting replaced and JL being delayed as if he heard it from his sources. The video is what did the damage.

Ahasverus

You what sounds like a great idea for a businessman? Talking to the very same person who spread potentially profit-cutting rumors in the first place, to confirm said rumors. Some genius executives right there.

a916

Not really. There was a focus group screening a few months ago. You won't hear shit from that one though it wasn't a full theater. There could have been another one since then. Suicide Squad has screened for WB friends and family already. Both movies are supposedly good. One of them being one of the best comic book movies to date.

Wait what? I haven't heard this rumor yet.

It wasn't the report that bugged me... it was what came after that every single news outlet and a lot of fans ran with that really annoyed me. He should've stopped at that instead of going on about how he things the entire slate is in trouble and is going to get retooled and Snyder is probably done etc etc...

But even if I heard from 100 people that it was terrible, that still doesn't mean you will feel the same way. There was very mixed buzz on Mad Max: Fury Road from inside Warner Bros, right up until the moment it was released. And none of that meant a thing to me or to audiences around the world. There are certainly people who didn't like the film or who have complaints about it, and there are people who are passionately in love with it. Buzz is just conversation, and conversation should never be enough to make you so angry that you have to lash out.

He should have led with this quote in the original... instead he went full on armageddon with his theory. (in no way would I condone any harassment thrown his way though, there's better more constructive ways to get your point across)

Error

why would people that have financial interest in this movie leak to him and Faraci that this movie is not getting the reception they wanted, knowing full well Drew and Faraci are going to make it public thus hurting the movie's image even more. Drew overstepped his bounds when he presented his speculation as fact, too.

If I had financial interest in something I wouldn't be spreading FUD about it, because I would want it to do well. It wouldn't make any sense to leak stuff to the press.

edit: not saying his report is BS, it's just weird how Hollywood works. A studio puts 200 millions dollars on a movie and then a month before it releases they start spreading FUD about it to journalists? Weird.

guek

Banned
Wait what? I haven't heard this rumor yet.

It wasn't the report that bugged me... it was what came after that every single news outlet and a lot of fans ran with that really annoyed me. He should've stopped at that instead of going on about how he things the entire slate is in trouble and is going to get retooled and Snyder is probably done etc etc...

He should have led with this quote in the original... instead he went full on armageddon with his theory. (in no way would I condone any harassment thrown his way though, there's better more constructive ways to get your point across)

Judging by the article he wrote, he wasn't expecting the internet to latch on so tightly to his predictions. I don't know much about McWeeny or what kind of person he is. I don't know if he has delusions of grandeur or if his voice actually spreads that far across the internet as an authority. From what I've seen, he looks to be a well established member of the Hollywood associated press. Apart from that though, he's just another journalist who, like most successful journalists, has his own fair share of insider connections. The stories he tells in his article are meant to illustrate how a few seemingly benign words can enrage a fandom and stir them into a frenzy. The rest of the online entertainment press though took what he said and ran with it to the point where his reaction to what he'd heard suddenly became the story rather than the story he was actually reporting. The websites that misreported what he said ended up deliberately playing on the fears and emotional combustion of fans and most of them don't even realize they were manipulated big time.

As for the actual scoop that was being reported, I don't have much reason to doubt McWeeny actually heard from someone he trusts the things he is saying, and no amount of conspiracy bullshit is going to convince me otherwise without some actual evidence. Of course, that doesn't mean the movie will actually end up disappointing. I agree with a916 that what he originally said in the video should have been rephrased entirely, but I also don't think he expected, or really should have expected, the story to catch fire the way it did. Faraci shit-talks non-stop and no one really takes him seriously but McWeeny evidently doesn't have that luxury.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
why would people that have financial interest in this movie leak to him and Faraci that this movie is not getting the reception they wanted, knowing full well Drew and Faraci are going to make it public thus hurting the movie's image even more. Drew overstepped his bounds when he presented his speculation as fact, too.

If I had financial interest in something I wouldn't be spreading FUD about it, because I would want it to do well. It wouldn't make any sense to leak stuff to the press.

edit: not saying his report is BS, it's just weird how Hollywood works. A studio puts 200 millions dollars on a movie and then a month before it releases they start spreading FUD about it to journalists? Weird.

Yeah weird as in suspicious. The very reasons you pointed out is why I have trouble believing much of this stuff.

You also have to expect this is a long game of telephone and shit is going to be lost along the way. I still think it's WB worried about making 1.2 billion instead of 1.5 billion because of the shitastic 2015 they had at the box office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom