• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

sorry guys, too many cinematics thread

please dont hit

6GJWk.gif

a916

"...$300 million in total home entertainment sales and rentals around the world. Audiences gave it a Cinemascore of “A-”, which is pretty good and which helps account for the healthy home entertainment numbers despite its somewhat misleading reputation as a film rejected by a lot of viewers. The truth is, yes the film had mixed reactions and yes it had some flaws, but also yes it was overall popular with most audiences, and yes it made a healthy amount at the box office and on home entertainment."

I sometimes think this gets lost in the shuffle when discussing MoS. It is very divisive online, but it did have a pretty sizable audience of people who enjoyed it or heard good enough things about it that they checked it out when it came out.

Not sure how reliable the website is, but Man of Steel is the 15th best selling Bluray of all time domestically according to The-Numbers. That's pretty impressive though I'm not sure how reliable it is and how those rankings would shake down globally.

Are there any dope iPhone 6s DC cases ?

Teepublic just started selling their designs on iPhone cases... not official but another cool avenue.

IconGrist

Max Landis just went on a rant on twitter about this movie

Oh, god. I despise Landis but now I'm curious.

Edit: I'll never understand why the destruction in Man of Steel is put front and center and then the threat of the annihilation of all life on the planet is just "yeah, yeah, whatever".

Ahasverus

What is Landis saying now?

Max Landis ‏@Uptomyknees 9m9 minutes ago
My main issue with Batman Versus Superman is that it makes the finale of Man Of Steel the touchstone centerpiece of the entire plot.

Max Landis ‏@Uptomyknees 9m9 minutes ago
This was obviously not the plan; I don't believe for a second they intended the ending of Man Of Steel to draw the reactions it did.

Max Landis ‏@Uptomyknees 8m8 minutes ago
My issue is that that ending, wherein literally THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE DIE, thematically permanently tarnishes Superman

No coming back from it

Superman's first exposure to the world is being one degree of separation responsible/incontrovertibly linked to an incident worse than 9/11.

I'm not saying they should've just glossed over it, but...maybe they should have? I mean there's no reason to root for Superman at all.

Max Landis ‏@Uptomyknees 5m5 minutes ago
weird to think about. I'm all for destruction in movies. It's just weird to tie such a horrific incident to Superman going forward.

Max Landis ‏@Uptomyknees 4m4 minutes ago
At the end of Man of Steel, Superman literally makes out with a near stranger on a pile of rubble/probably dead bodies.
Don't forget he's the brillaint mind behind 2015's biggest bomba, Victor Frankenstein.

Basically that there is no reason to root for Superman because a lot of people died on his watch. Also doesn't like that the destruction in Metropolis is the story focus of Batman v Superman.

I don't like the way he argues. What could Superman do ? "Hey Zod, let's go to space and fight there, pretty please`?"

But why would Snyder/Terrio/Goyer gloss over it? Even if it did get the reaction they were expecting, it was still an important event. There was no way to ignore it - and they'd get pilloried (rightfully so) for doing so.

Ignoring the "making out over thousands of dead bodies" stuff.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The destruction of metropolis was always going to be a thing in the sequel, Snyder loves his 'superheroes with consequences' that's why he likes Watchmen so much.

I really doubt they are going to make Superman look like villain in this. If one is more a villain than the other, then the narrative fails. To me the compelling thing about this face-off is that they are neither wrong or right, just two different view points on how to operate as a superhero.

a916

Don't forget he's the brillaint mind behind 2015's biggest bomba, Victor Frankenstein.

Let's see... do I believe Landis or do I believe Ben Affleck when he said that this was always the plan, to address Man of Steel....

The making out part I definitely agree with, it was rushed and I want to agree that WB didn't intend to get that reaction (why would they want a divisive action, they want something bankable)

What's weird is that he's writing a really fantastic Superman comic right now that's all about Clark being human and a little bit flawed.

Which really confuses me... you'd think he'd be open to the idea of a different take on Superman. He's still Superman, and in the confines of that story, it makes sense. It doesn't betray it self... but people feel it does because they can't let go of the Donner image.

Basically that there is no reason to root for Superman because a lot of people died on his watch. Also doesn't like that the destruction in Metropolis is the story focus of Batman v Superman.

So, if they ignored the destruction like it never happened he'd be bitching about them skipping over it right now and how Superman should be held accountable for his action.

The kissing Lois complaint I never understood. It's sort of a cliche in films. Catwoman kisses Batman when a bomb is about to go off. Peggy kisses Captain America when he's about to jump on a Nazi plane en route to bomb America. I'm not exactly what you'd call a Man of Steel fan, but it didn't occur to me until internet users harped on it.

My issue with the climax is how quickly it transitioned from the dark and heavy Zod battle to lighthearted final scenes. I'm also not one of those saying Superman never saved people in the film. But a hypothetical scene of Superman collecting himself and helping those in the immediate area. As simple as a human moment of Clark checking on the family. Something to buffer the tonal shift. Suppose it's not much use saying what could've been.

Odoul

I'm seeing that the sequel building off the carnage of Man of Steel being used as a strike against it on a few different sites. Like it's a huge retcon or overreaction to all the bitching.

Am I crazy or when MOS first came Nolan and Snyder and Goyer literally said that the ending would be the genesis for that world's hero's "coming out" and the formation of the Justice League?

He forgot to mention that most of the damage to Metropolis was done well before Superman ever got there. Besides Zod destroying what I'm guessing was the Wayne Financial building with his heat vision (which I got the sense that he kind of lost control of, being new to having powers), the fight between Superman and Zod mostly only damaged the sides of a few buildings, though they did destroy a parking garage.

Loxley

Of course like everybody else, Landis sidesteps the counter-point to the argument about the destruction that Superman literally saved the entire planet by destroying the world engine.

Landis is barely three years older than me and yet acts like he's some authority on Superman. Dude, you're not Mark Waid, get over yourself.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
He forgot to mention that most of the damage to Metropolis was done well before Superman ever got there. Besides Zod destroying what I'm guessing was the Wayne Financial building with his heat vision (which I got the sense that he kind of lost control of, being new to having powers), the fight between Superman and Zod mostly only damaged the sides of a few buildings, though they did destroy a parking garage.

that's my problem with a bunch of these 'supes leveled half of metropolis in his fight with zod!"

most of the damage was done by the World Engine, it flattened a good chunk of Metropolis before Superman even got there.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Haven't heard those complaints before. Nope. Not once in the last 3 years or so. How original. And it's not like pretty much for every complaint he has there are several counter arguments/answers.

I stand by my point: this movie could be the greatest thing ever and certain people would still hate on it no matter what. ''I don't like that they used the ending of MoS for the story'' like, what? Really? What if it's done really well? You don't know....I dunno, this is just so weird to me.

Gleethor

The complaints about destruction are so immersive, like in-universe arguments against Superman's existence. Gotta be viral marketing, right?

a916

Umberto also went on to say we'll get tracking numbers (which are no means definite), within the next 10-14 days.

I would like to think it's starting to piss a number of the level headed people off. The negative hits toward the film just seem to based on nothing I think and I hope people see that. It's not like particular things are producing the over the top negative reactions. It's as if people are hitting it just to hit it at this point. I can understand being concerned a film will be bad. We all have those feelings. Looking at comments in various places there is a group of people that honestly want it fail and are praying it does at times. I don't get that.

Even Umberto's latest periscope talks about he's been working in the industry for 13-14 years and he's never seen a movie be this divisive and nit picked to death like BvS along with the head of Latino Review saying the same thing. He even goes to say no Marvel movie has gotten that kind of attention either.

It's not a thing that only exists on GAF and I think people saying "oh it's all in your mind..." it's a real thing. I wouldn't go as far as going "oh wow, all these people are out to get DC or make BvS fail..." but there's a large amount of heat on this movie and not healthy heat.

don't people hate the new52 Supes costume? I don't mind it personally.

There is some love for it, but personally I find that the cinematic suits for pretty much all three of the trinity are way better than their comic counterparts and its one of the rare (or only) instances where I actually want them brought over to the comics.

Effect

Landis always, from what I've been able to see, ignores that Man of Steel is an origin story. He never really accepts that it's a film about Clark on the road to becoming Superman and when he gets the title it's still day 1. His complaints with the film always show that he refuses to acknowledge the basic story as it's presented. He does so in favor of his version of Superman that he wants and deems the best and only version. Followed up by what he would have done instead. That's annoying as well.

Landis always, from what I've been able to see, ignores that Man of Steel is an origin story. He never really accepts that it's a film about Clark on the road to becoming Superman and when he gets the title it's still day 1. His complaints with the film always show that he refuses to acknowledge the basic story as it's presented. He does so in favor of his version of Superman that he wants and deems the best and only version. Followed up by what he would have done instead. That's annoying as well.

Pretty much all comic book writers are like this. It's kind of weird to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom