• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest hope coming out of the movie is that we get a lot of cool Superman moments and a new generation of Superman fans out of it. We've seen some cool rescue scenes but tbh not that much Superman action outside of the BvS fight.

The Batman v Superman fight is always tilted toward Batman doing the cool stuff since Superman has such a massive advantage. I want atleast 2 great Superman action scenes (not even necessarily fighting, could be something like the airplane scene in returns) that aren't him fighting Batman, or a long ass climax. I want to see him and Diana pulling off some combos.

guek

Banned
My biggest hope coming out of the movie is that we get a lot of cool Superman moments and a new generation of Superman fans out of it. We've seen some cool rescue scenes but tbh not that much Superman action outside of the BvS fight.

The Batman v Superman fight is always tilted toward Batman doing the cool stuff since Superman has such a massive advantage. I want atleast 2 great Superman action scenes (not even necessarily fighting, could be something like the airplane scene in returns) that aren't him fighting Batman, or a long ass climax. I want to see him and Diana pulling off some combos.

I just want superman to be inspiring. I understand that the character has numerous interpretations but that's my bare minimum of what I need from any depiction of him and MoS unfortunately did not deliver.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I want Bats (or WW) teaching Clark how to fight, dude has no fighting skills. Give me a training montage like Creed/Undisputed.

IconGrist

I just want superman to be inspiring. I understand that the character has numerous interpretations but that's my bare minimum of what I need from any depiction of him and MoS unfortunately did not deliver.

My biggest fear is Superman is cast to the side in order to push how cool Batman is. Yes Batman is cool. We know this. Show the world why Superman is cool now. It's not going to damage Batman.

shingi70

Banned
Hoping for a moment that explains why Superman working in the light of day is as valid as Batman's shadowy Persona and being the catalyst for the Justice League forming.

Yeah, that's what I hope to see. I love Supes and I want to see people having great reasons in this film to love him too.

Here's a higher framerate one:
Y1f2Yqj.gif

Bigger version.

I imagine this takes place
Post "the bat is dead" scene, and it gets him riled up enough to give Alfred the "if there's even a 1% chance" bit, and then he either goes and breaks into Lex's place or suits up right there for the fight. Mostly speculation

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
That's what bothers me about it, if there is no other reason than that...bleh.

Meh, couldn´t care less. Pretty much every movie does it. It´s small (and tbh nitpicking) and a lot of people wouldn't even think about. If there is no reason for it in the movie, most of the GA could not care less or even pick up on it. Or just make up a reason if they did.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Meh, couldn´t care less. Pretty much every movie does it. It´s small (and tbh nitpicking) and a lot of people wouldn't even think about. If there is no reason for it in the movie, most of the GA could not care less or even pick up on it. Or just make up a reason if they did.

Meh, it is my nitpick not the general audience.

I'd argue the prettiest marvel movie is Guardians and it easily stands up to everything we've seen from BvS.

waaat? i enjoyed the hell out of guardians but how is that a better looking film than winter soldier, let alone bvs. cap 2 is the first (and last so far) marvel film that looked as well shot as some of the DC stuff.

something about the cinematography of marvel films just looks cheaper than it should. they never really have interesting lighting either.

though the comparisons are a bit unfair because pfister did some damn good work with nolan before he got replaced in interstellar. and also, if anything, everybody can agree that the one universal good in snyder's work is his visual flair. but then we got the suicide squad trailer which also looks appropriately moody. marvel needs better lighting work. everything is so brightly lit that the tv comparisons still make sense no matter how high the budgets get. also feels like there's a bit of film grain in batman v superman which is nice.

Off topic, kind of, but I'm watching all of my Superman (Reeve films and Returns) and Batman (Nolan + '66 DVD) Blu-Rays before Batman v. Superman comes out. Today I watched Superman IV. This was the only Christopher Reeve Superman movie I saw in theaters. Anyways, after hearing how terrible it is...I liked it. I didn't think it was that bad. I liked a lot of the scenes in the movie of Superman rescuing people (stopping the volcano and lava was pretty awesome). It was also cool to see Superman fighting a super-powered being one-on-one! What do you guys think of it?

My mom watched Man of Steel (she likes Superman), but she had a mixed reaction to it. She said it was too much about Krypton and it didn't show Superman (post getting the suit) rescuing people. She liked the action, though.

guek

Banned
waaat? i enjoyed the hell out of guardians but how is that a better looking film than winter soldier, let alone bvs. cap 2 is the first (and last so far) marvel film that looked as well shot as some of the DC stuff.

something about the cinematography of marvel films just looks cheaper than it should. they never really have interesting lighting either.

though the comparisons are a bit unfair because pfister did some damn good work with nolan before he got replaced in interstellar. and also, if anything, everybody can agree that the one universal good in snyder's work is his visual flair. but then we got the suicide squad trailer which also looks appropriately moody. marvel needs better lighting work. everything is so brightly lit that the tv comparisons still make sense no matter how high the budgets get. also feels like there's a bit of film grain in batman v superman which is nice.

Guardians is a gorgeous movie with great use of contrasting dark tones and bright color. Winter Soldier is shot to be very taught and suspenseful but it's not very interested in creating vivid or striking images. The color palette is more washed out in order to give it a more grounded look. I could go on but this isn't really the thread for it, I just don't think darker/moodier is necessarily a superior aesthetic or that being brightly lit is automatically a bad thing.

Penguin

Off topic, kind of, but I'm watching all of my Superman (Reeve films and Returns) and Batman (Nolan + '66 DVD) Blu-Rays before Batman v. Superman comes out. Today I watched Superman IV. This was the only Christopher Reeve Superman movie I saw in theaters. Anyways, after hearing how terrible it is...I liked it. I didn't think it was that bad. I liked a lot of the scenes in the movie of Superman rescuing people (stopping the volcano and lava was pretty awesome). It was also cool to see Superman fighting a super-powered being one-on-one! What do you guys think of it?

My mom watched Man of Steel (she likes Superman), but she had a mixed reaction to it. She said it was too much about Krypton and it didn't show Superman (post getting the suit) rescuing people. She liked the action, though.

I think Superman IV... well is bad, but it also suffers massively from a budget problem.

I'd rather watch Batman and Robin

Effect

I could never decide what movie was worse. Superman 3 or Superman 4. I remember even as a kid (this is the only Reeves film I saw in theaters) making fun of Nuclear Man and his growing finger nails. On the flip side I honestly don't remember anything about Superman 3 in detail save for Lana is it and the bar scene and fight with "evil" Superman. That's pretty much it. I don't remember anything else really about the film. I know Richard Pryor is in it but I don't remember anything about him in the film. Gene Hackman as Lex is at least in 4. I guess that makes it the better film. It's also a movie where Superman does fight someone close to being his equal. 4 also looks like it had no budget compared to 1 and 2.

I guess it's worse when you don't remember anything about a film. To be honest don't remember watching either a lot as a kid and I certainly haven't as an adult. It's a different story with the first two of course. I think I've seen the Supergirl move more those last two Superman films. I know that gets a lot of crap but I remember liking that or at the very least really enjoying Supergirl herself a lot.

Penguin

Superman 3/4 are like Batman Forever/and Robin to me.

Batman Forever/Superman 3 are the better movie, but they are also less memorable than the one that follows.

Like you said, I remember Nuclear Man, I remember the nails, I remember the warhead. I remember the chilly one-liners and the bat-nipples and Poison Ivy, but the previous one is just a better movie

It's the framing and composition. They shoot quick and they also try and show too much of the sets. It's sloppy and just bad cinematography. Marvel isn't very interested in letting the camera tell the story. That's why the camera doesn't move that much and there are a lot of two shots.

Cap 2 is a very tightly framed movie. The Russo's have a great sense of composition too.

This is true. I told Bobby this last month. People love Suicide Squad.

Effect

Superman 3/4 are like Batman Forever/and Robin to me.

Batman Forever/Superman 3 are the better movie, but they are also less memorable than the one that follows.

Like you said, I remember Nuclear Man, I remember the nails, I remember the warhead. I remember the chilly one-liners and the bat-nipples and Poison Ivy, but the previous one is just a better movie

You might be right. Though perhaps Batman Forever and Batman & Robin are better films then Superman 3 and 4. I still feel Batman Forever gets unfairly grouped with Batman & Robin. I think it's a decent Batman movie but you can see where things are about to go off the rails. As a result it's not surprising in retrospect why Batman & Robin is the way its. I think if someone could have just reigned in Tommy Lee Jones and altered some of that Two Face stuff it would be up there with the Burton films.

I agree that Superman 4 and Batman & Robin just have some outlandish stuff that might make them more memorable. Like the giant net filled with nukes in Superman 4 or the ice skating fight with Freeze. That film also looks like it didn't have a real budget either. Everything is so small and in rooms.

Bleepey

It's the framing and composition. They shoot quick and they also try and show too much of the sets. It's sloppy and just bad cinematography. Marvel isn't very interested in letting the camera tell the story. That's why the camera doesn't move that much and there are a lot of two shots.

Cap 2 is a very tightly framed movie. The Russo's have a great sense of composition too.

This is true. I told Bobby this last month. People love Suicide Squad.

Who is Bobby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom