• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveH

Newsarama fan casting the DCCU's first Green Lantern as:
Jessica Cruz
H49eJcE.jpg

Michelle Rodriguez
Personally, I feel dirty posting such pure speculation, but I'm curious how you'd react to a Green Lantern that probably isn't on anyone's radar. As for the casting... I'm okay in an ensemble but I wouldn't have high hopes if she was the lead intending to carry a film.

Pachimari

Vixen is getting an animated series
Believe Teen Titans Go is renewed for a new season.
Static Shock is weird since an online only/first series.
Preacher is picked up for pilot based on reactions to the script.
Aren't they doing a live action Titans show though?

I'm thinking more of the live action TV series.

Jessica Cruz

Michelle Rodriguez

Personally, I feel dirty posting such pure speculation, but I'm curious how you'd react to a Green Lantern that probably isn't on anyone's radar. As for the casting... I'm okay in an ensemble but I wouldn't have high hopes if she was the lead intending to carry a film.

Meh. I like the character, but she's always been Power Ring, not GL. Michelle Rodriguez isn't a bad choice at all though. Think I'd like her as an Amazon though. Artemis maybe.

J10

Banned
It seems like it might be problematic that we've already seen such an awesome display of power from Superman because there might not be much left with which to impress us. In the Marvel films there's been more of a slow power creep - Iron Man's suits get better with each movie, Cap shows greater strength and fighting ability over time, Banner has greater control over the Hulk, etc. The initial films didn't do too much so there was room for growth. I'm wondering if, for example, there's going to be anything interesting about The Flash's speed after having seen how fast the Kryptonians are, even if he's faster.

IconGrist

It seems like it might be problematic that we've already seen such an awesome display of power from Superman because there might not be much left with which to impress us. In the Marvel films there's been more of a slow power creep - Iron Man's suits get better with each movie, Cap shows greater strength and fighting ability over time, Banner has greater control over the Hulk, etc. The initial films didn't do too much so there was room for growth. I'm wondering if, for example, there's going to be anything interesting about The Flash's speed after having seen how fast the Kryptonians are, even if he's faster.

With Flash his speed will be more about presentation. Cool effects and such. Like Quicksilver in DoFP. Same with the rest. GL has his constructs. Aquaman has his trident. Cyborg's tech abilities. Wonder Woman and Batman are actually, imo, the harder to differentiate due to their notable aspects being combat skill rather than super powers.

Yup, like previously stated, it comes down to presentation. If everyone was just Superman-lite, that'd be one thing, but everyone is so different in powers and scope, I don't think we'll have a problem.

3N16MA

Banned
Aquaman has is own unique set of abilities outside of his strength. Flash will be presented in a way that makes his speed flashy (pun intended). Batman has his tech and detective/strategic ability. He can confront Superman despite his lack of power.

Everyone else has their own distinct ability that does not rely on pure raw strength that Superman displayed in MoS.

ReiGun

Jessica Cruz

Michelle Rodriguez

I'm down for this.

Jessica Cruz

Michelle Rodriguez

Jessica Cruz

Michelle Rodriguez

That would be a little interesting, but she's so new and under developed. The movie would have to do the heavy weight defining her. She's essentially getting tutored by Hal at this point.

Simon Baz would be the unlikely possible pick. It's going to be Hal though (as much as I like Kyle). If would be great if they made Mera a badass in the movies like she is in the comics, then have her tag along in Justice League. Flash as a female would have also been a surprise but good move to distinguish the character from Gustin.

Grant's Flash seems faster than the Kryptonians already. They had to do this weird mini jump hop to get places instead of running (Zod also had to climb a building instead of running up it), Barry is easily zipping a long coast city and running on water, soon he'll be fast enough to time travel. I wouldn't worry about Ezra being faster than the kryptonians. Kal also has a lot of growth to go for before the comics. He had a hard time holding back an oil rig, comic kal was pulling the earth with MMH and WW.

I thought the ironman armor has been inconsistent. IM3 armor was falling apart by getting hit by a truck and him pushing it over with a broom. Hulkbuster looks like a clear upgrade though.

I wouldn't worry about flash feats. I think speed feats are incredibly easy to write and look impressive. We'll hopefully see things like this and this. Kryptonians were never near this level, and this still isn't as fast as comic flash.

Rooster12

It seems like it might be problematic that we've already seen such an awesome display of power from Superman because there might not be much left with which to impress us.

Well if DC really wanted to do something different from what we've seen before all they have to do is sign off on a Swamp Thing movie, or Animal Man, or Hawkman, or Dial H for Hero, or Hitman, or Estrigen the Demon, or Doom Patrol, or Seven Soldiers of Victory....that would be stuff you would have never seen before.

A Hawkworld movie, if they follow the themes written by Truman and Ostrander, would probably be the greatest Superhero movie ever made.

Pachimari

I guess here's a little tv show news too. As Once Upon A Time's Tom Ellis will be playing Lucifer in the upcoming Fox pilot.

I don't know if I should be optimistic about all these upcoming DC tv shows of lesser known property? Like Lucifer, Preacher, Krypton etc. I don't know those IPs myself but they are superhero shows, so I wanna watch them.

I updated the list:

Arrow
Getting a 4th season.

The Flash
Getting a 2nd season.

Gotham
Getting a 2nd season.

Constantine
Will highly likely be cancelled.

iZombie
Premiering later this Spring.

Supergirl
Moving forward with casting calls.

Lucifer
Has casted its main character.

Teen Titans
Moving forward.

Krypton
Moving forward.

Preacher
?

Static Shock
?

Scalped
?

DMZ
?

Vixen is probably gonna be the first animated superhero show I'll watch since the 90's X-Men and Spider-Man.

Nah, Supes hasn't bench pressed a kryptonite island into space yet, or pushed the earth out of orbit. or obliterated a galaxy with a sneeze or traveled time to bring some one back to life.

Pachimari

Yeah but I'm just not that interested in them. I'm more of a live action guy. I'll only watch Vixen because it's part of the Arrowverse.

DaveH

I'm ok with a female GL. Be nice to have more than just WW.

I'm down for this.

That would be a little interesting, but she's so new and under developed.
I'm wondering if they should chase that Chinese Transformers money to completely profit-proof this film and make a new female Green Lantern that's East Asian.

It wouldn't even necessarily be completely unjustified if you consider Alan Scott's origin. The magical green lantern he found was forged from a meteor that crashed in China. Lanterns and Jade both play a big role Chinese culture, so it wouldn't be a stretch for the DCCU's first GL to think she's magic-based... only to later encounter the Corps and the Guardians as appropriate.

Starting off with a Golden Age GL helps reboot Green Lantern so there's a little space between the DCCU GL and Ryan Reynold's GL. Golden Age GL solves the problem of not calling in the Corps for world-ending disasters that need the League. Starting off as "magic" distinguishes GL from our Kryptonian, and it's consistent with Atlantis and Themyscira being legendary hidden kingdoms of magic in our world. If the story starts in China, it also gives a different setting and perhaps a great excuse to include the Great Ten (China ramping-up to respond to Superman and the League).

ReiGun

I'm wondering if they should chase that Chinese Transformers money to completely profit-proof this film and make a new female Green Lantern that's East Asian.

It wouldn't even necessarily be completely unjustified if you consider Alan Scott's origin. The magical green lantern he found was forged from a meteor that crashed in China. Lanterns and Jade both play a big role Chinese culture, so it wouldn't be a stretch for the DCCU's first GL to think she's magic-based... only to later encounter the Corps and the Guardians as appropriate.

Starting off with a Golden Age GL helps reboot Green Lantern so there's a little space between the DCCU GL and Ryan Reynold's GL. Golden Age GL solves the problem of not calling in the Corps for world-ending disasters that need the League. Starting off as "magic" distinguishes GL from our Kryptonian, and it's consistent with Atlantis and Themyscira being legendary hidden kingdoms of magic in our world. If the story starts in China, it also gives a different setting and perhaps a great excuse to include the Great Ten (China ramping-up to respond to Superman and the League).

It's certainly a worthwhile idea. They wouldn't even need to use Golden Age GL. The great thing about the Green Lantern being a member of a corps is that the role is interchangeable on some level. You could easily have this GL be the one left on Earth while the others are out in space.

The only "problem" is that it would require the creation of an entirely new character. Which really isn't a problem, but does require a bit more work and dealing with some backlash that wouldn't accompany using Hal or John.

DaveH

Michelle Rodriguez: Minority Actors Should "Stop Stealing" White Superheroes
Sensationalized title, but I guess that's that, unless this is her clumsy way of trying to stay under NDA (like Momoa promising people they could punch him in the face if he turned out to be Aquaman... good luck collecting on that).

Quickly researching Transformers and Iron Man 3's Chinese box-office, perhaps, offering up an entire slot on the League is too much... I mean, I barely remember who this is:
zvcKsTL.jpg

That said, from my reading, it appears the Chinese are quickly getting jaded by insincere attempts to court their box-office.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o1S2drcrf8
Get that money!

3N16MA

Banned
Michelle Rodriguez: Minority Actors Should "Stop Stealing" White Superheroes
Sensationalized title, but I guess that's that, unless this is her clumsy way of trying to stay under NDA (like Momoa promising people they could punch him in the face if he turned out to be Aquaman... good luck collecting on that).

Quickly researching Transformers and Iron Man 3's Chinese box-office, perhaps, offering up an entire slot on the League is too much... I mean, I barely remember who this is:
zvcKsTL.jpg

That said, from my reading, it appears the Chinese are quickly getting jaded by insincere attempts to court their box-office.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o1S2drcrf8
Get that money!

All I remember is that she kicked some ass after exiting an elevator (not exactly sure) and Tucci had a thing for her.

They have every right to be if there are only going to be token gestures just to get their money. I hate that crap.

The big problem with a Chinese lantern is that if you want it to fly in China, they're pretty much going to be token by default; all the really interesting story options relating to their country of origin are going to be closed off.

Effect

The big problem with a Chinese lantern is that if you want it to fly in China, they're pretty much going to be token by default; all the really interesting story options relating to their country of origin are going to be closed off.

Unfortunately that's likely going to be the case.

3N16MA

Banned
China saved Pacific Rim from disaster at the BO and outside of Crimson Typhoon (small role) the connection was not strong.

The secret is to load the film with lots of robots. Transformers, Pacific Rim, Iron Man, they all benefit from it.

China saved Pacific Rim from disaster at the BO and outside of Crimson Typhoon (small role) the connection was not strong.

The secret is to load the film with lots of robots. Transformers, Pacific Rim, Iron Man, they all benefit from it.

Just needs more explosions than dialogue, explosions are a universal language. Michael Bay= Earth's Greatest Communicator

Pachimari

You missed alot of stuff worth watching
BTAS
STAS
JL
JLU
Young Justice
BTBTB
Spectacular Spider Man
Alrifrh, you guys. I'm gonna give these animated shows a chance. I just watched a little of the 1994 Spider-Man show and were hit by nostalgia like nothing else. But I need to know what these abbreviations stands for and what is best to start out with. I would like something with Flash and Batman but is open to heroes I don't know much about as well.

I know JL stands for Justice League.

Alrifrh, you guys. I'm gonna give these animated shows a chance. I just watched a little of the 1994 Spider-Man show and were hit by nostalgia like nothing else. But I need to know what these abbreviations stands for and what is best to start out with. I would like something with Flash and Batman but is open to heroes I don't know much about as well.

Batman The Animated Series
Superman the Animated Series
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited
Batman the Brave and the Bold

BTAS: Batman the Animated Series. Start here. It's on Amazon Prime, if you've got it.

STAS: Superman " ". Good show, if perhaps not on BTAS tier.

JL, you know that one. It's on Netflix. I'd watch BTAS and STAS first, since it's technically a sequel show.

JLU is Justice League Unlimited, the sequel series to JL.

BTBTB is Batman the Brave and the Bold, which is unrelated to the above, and is pretty amazing. It's also on Netflix.

DaveH

Filming starts in April which is only a month away. That means the costumes have to be more or less done by now and they've likely already done camera tests with the actors.

Remember that for BvS, they released Superman's costume in July and Batman's costume in February (after shooting had started, but Kevin Smith had seen an image of Affleck in the costume months earlier).

The "formal" announcement of Viola Davis was sort of spoiled, so they may be attempting to combine that with the announcement of their Rick Flagg (before the press confirms the rumors) and at least some piece of visual tease... a logo, etc.

mad hyped for that joker reveal.

the GOAT villain in any of these comic book movies. it's probably daunting as hell to sign on for that role too considering the last two to do it were heath ledger and jack nicholson.

mad hyped for that joker reveal.

the GOAT villain in any of these comic book movies. it's probably daunting as hell to sign on for that role too considering the last two to do it were heath ledger and jack nicholson.

If anyone can do it, it's Leto. I'm not even a fan of the guy, and I recognize he is very particular about the roles he signs on for.

Interested in seeing how Leto goes with the Joker. I'm not that familiar with his work outside Dallas Buyers Club but he could do it justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom