• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

according to Deadline rival hollywood execs think the movie will do 100m-140m OW

lol

Umberto was saying that tracking should be coming in right about now (he said this a week or so ago)... so they wouldn't be wrong in having tracking numbers already.

I honestly don't see how it could be under 150M. I mean it's certainly possible, but I'd be amazed if it was under that threshold without some sort of freak storm on the East Coast preventing people from getting to the theaters.

If I'm a betting man, the safe bet is the high end of that window. I'm not expecting 200 OW, but 150 should be doable.

The biggest opening of all time in March is Hunger Games with $152M.

Is a $200M opening possible? Well technically I suppose so, but only 3 movies in the history of cinema have broken that barrier and no movie has ever broken $250M. BvS isn't going to be bigger than fuckin Star Wars.

The most realistic optimistic opening is somewhere between $150-200M. Breaking $200M would be bonkers.

That Hunger Games movie "only" grossed $694M total. I think it's safe to say Batman V Superman is an entirely different beast.

EDIT: A high 150 would vault it into the top 8... didn't realize it was that high. 150 actually sounds reasonable... beating Iron Man 3 might not happen.

IconGrist

Like I said, is it in the realm of possibility? Sure, but in the same way a $120M opening is possible. It's best not to set yourself up for disappointment and instead be pleasantly surprised if it exceeds expectations. Even with Thursday previews, the word of mouth in March would have to be as good as Deadpool's was in February to even come close to $200M let alone break it. Zack Snyder has never made a movie that's close to being as well received as Deadpool (or even Hunger Games, truth be told). So while this could potentially be his first film to achieve that kind of praise, it's probably not wise to pin your hopes on that happening.

I have no expectations at all. I'm excited for the movie but B.O. predictions and actualities really don't matter to me any more than just whether or not the franchise will or won't continue. Everything more specific than that really doesn't concern me.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Umberto was saying that tracking should be coming in right about now (he said this a week or so ago)... so they wouldn't be wrong in having tracking numbers already.

If I'm a betting man, the safe bet is the high end of that window. I'm not expecting 200 OW, but 150 should be doable.

That Hunger Games movie "only" grossed $694M total. I think it's safe to say Batman V Superman is an entirely different beast.

EDIT: A high 150 would vault it into the top 8... didn't realize it was that high.
There are no tracking numbers yet.

If the film turns out great (which it's looking like it will at this point), I think that will be sufficient. There's definitely discussion and legitimate curiosity. There's also the fact that there's literally no competition, until jungle book on april 15th, and the film is opening at the same time world wide.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
If the film turns out great (which it's looking like it will at this point), I think that will be sufficient. There's definitely discussion and legitimate curiosity. There's also the fact that there's literally no competition, until jungle book on april 15th, and the film is opening at the same time world wide.
I'm not sure we have enough info at this point to say it's looking like it will be great but if it is all bets are off. A great film which happens to have 2 or the 3 most popular superheroes on film for the first time along with Wonder Woman's debut would destroy the box office.

Platy

tumblr_o306jslU741sqx8y7o1_1280.jpg

It is only the movie to get an R rated version and suddenly Superman's uniform is black

Bleepey

The biggest opening of all time in March is Hunger Games with $152M.

Is a $200M opening possible? Well technically I suppose so, but only 3 movies in the history of cinema have broken that barrier and no movie has ever broken $250M. BvS isn't going to be bigger than fuckin Star Wars.

The most realistic optimistic opening is somewhere between $150-200M. Breaking $200M would be bonkers.

Deadpool threw everything out of whack ($135 Mill would be awful for BVS), that and Jurassic World. I just don't get why that film did so well, its trailers did nothing for me and its reviews were various shades of "meh". This movie will have Starpower, a long awaited cinematic union. That and the first appearance of Wonder Woman. I am kinda disappointed that studios did not learn the lessons from Dredd and Deadpool. Market to women. Dredd could have done so much better if they got Lena Headey and Olivia Thirlby to do press junkets to women's publications. Deadpool also was kinda marketed to women. They should be pimping Gal Gadot out to every women's publication and site they can find. Maybe I don't go to Xojane/jezebel etc enough (or at all) but I don't know of any interviews Gal Gadot did about her role in this.

Thinking about it last night at work while listening to soundtracks,
instead of the 2nd Batman movie being Hush or something i'd like to see them try to adapt Phantasm.

I watched that episode of JLU where Aquaman and crew battles Cthulhu. Chances they use the old ones as villains in an Aquaman film? Would be awesome.

BadAss2961

Deadpool threw everything out of whack ($135 Mill would be awful for BVS), that and Jurassic World. I just don't get why that film did so well, its trailers did nothing for me and its reviews were various shades of "meh". This movie will have Starpower, a long awaited cinematic union. That and the first appearance of Wonder Woman. I am kinda disappointed that studios did not learn the lessons from Dredd and Deadpool. Market to women. Dredd could have done so much better if they got Lena Headey and Olivia Thirlby to do press junkets to women's publications. Deadpool also was kinda marketed to women. They should be pimping Gal Gadot out to every women's publication and site they can find. Maybe I don't go to Xojane/jezebel etc enough (or at all) but I don't know of any interviews Gal Gadot did about her role in this.
Gal's busy filming Wonder Woman. Looks like she'll head right into Justice League after that.

Still a month out, i'm sure Amy Adams will make the rounds along with some Wonder Woman spots down the stretch.

guek

Banned

EDIT: A high 150 would vault it into the top 8... didn't realize it was that high. 150 actually sounds reasonable... beating Iron Man 3 might not happen.

Hunger Games fared relatively poorly abroad compared to its domestic gross with only 41% of its final $694M tally coming from its $286M foreign receipt. MoS beat it handily abroad with $366M making up 56% of its total gross. However, Man of Steel and Hunger Games had pretty similar domestic OW multipliers (2.5 and 2.7), which is fairly typical legs for a blockbuster. Few movies break the 3x multiplier, and they usually require breaking into the current pop cultural zeitgeist to do it (Force Awakens, Avengers, The Dark Knight, Jurassic World, Avatar, etc.).

So even if BvS "only" does something like $160M OW, with MoS' 2.5x multiplier and 56% total gross coming from foreign audiences, it would end at $400M DOM, $509M OS, and a $909M WW total.

With a 3x multiplier, it hits $480M DOM, $616M OS, $1.1B WW

If it manages $180M OW, which would be stellar, it would hit $450M DOM, $572M OS, and $1.02B WW with MoS' performance. If it manages that opening with a 3x multiplier, it hits $540M, $687M OS, and $1.22B WW

So yeah, all that to say it shouldn't have any problem whatsoever smashing Hunger Games' puny $694M WW gross into dust :p

Deadpool threw everything out of whack ($135 Mill would be awful for BVS)

I'm not saying BvS would have to be as well received as Deadpool to hit $135M, I'm saying it would have to have a similar reception and word of mouth to catapult it past the $200M OW mark.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
What I like about WW marketing so far is that she's front and center in most pics of the 3 of them. No weird poses or anything of the sort.

Snyder is gonna give her a badass moment, no doubt about it. WW stealing the show in the movie wouldn't surprise, Snyder made a D-tier character like Faora be one of the highlights in MoS.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
What I like about WW marketing so far is that she's front and center in most pics of the 3 of them. No weird poses or anything of the sort.

Snyder is gonna give her a badass moment, no doubt about it. WW stealing the show in the movie wouldn't surprise, Snyder made a D-tier character like Faora be one of the highlights in MoS.

Faora was great, I wonder what fighting style WW will have. A better fighter than Bats, combined with the power and speed of Superman. Imagine that.

So close, I hope it does well financially (and critically, tho I don't expect it). Not because I care about BO, but because I want them to continue with all of this including Snyder. Love the dude.

It's final domestic gross divided by opening weekend.

So for Man of Steel it did $291M total domestic with a $116M opening weekend.

291/116 = 2.5

Thanks! So it's not something we'll be able to determine right away.

EDIT: I'm think I'm able to buy tickets on MovieTickets. Like right now.

So, there's something weird going on twitter

Type Batman v Superman + Rain and put it to 'live'

Someone has been using bot since like 2014 to crtiscise the movie. Seriosuly, lol, go check it oit

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Someone has been using bot since like 2014 to crtiscise the movie. Seriosuly, lol, go check it oit

Damn, why bother with this at all? What is to gain?

Apparently Forbes are looking into it. Good post on it.

PIMpvYk.png

I do wonder whose behind it considering its been going for years now.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Man, still no info on ticket sales here in the Netherlands :( come on. Going to buy two tickets for the first day. If I like it, I'll probably watch it another three/four times that week.

IconGrist

Amy Adams is on the cover of Marie Claire in the UK. Here's a funny little snippet.

Discussing her latest role as Lois Lane in new superhero movie Batman V Superman, Amy told us she tried very hard not to stare too much at Henry Cavill’s glorious torso. ‘In between shots it was like, “Put on a robe please, and make everyone feel less bad about themselves’” she said, adding that even her husband found it hard not to stare. ‘I had to apologise to him at one point. I’m like, “I promise I’m not that pervy.” He’s just so good to look at. My husband likes to look at him, our [five-year-old] daughter likes to look at him… we’re just a creepy family.’

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but what about that hairline tho Amy, huh, huh!

Too good looking, it's not fair.

bryanee

I have the UK 3D steel book blu-ray release of Man of Steel and I cannot find this video commentary thing with Snyder and the rest of cast. Is it not available on this version of the Blu-ray?

Firemind

Also, I noticed that when Zod uses his heat vision, the area is already a desolated war zone because of the World Machine. That contradicts the early BvS trailer where Bruce is standing outside, holding a phone and shouting, while the heat vision goes through the building complex.

Basically, I call bullshit on the notion that the BvS plot was already planned during MoS production.

BadAss2961

Also, I noticed that when Zod uses his heat vision, the area is already a desolated war zone because of the World Machine. That contradicts the early BvS trailer where Bruce is standing outside, holding a phone and shouting, while the heat vision goes through the building complex.

Basically, I call bullshit on the notion that the BvS plot was already planned during MoS production.
Wait, what?

No one ever claimed BvS was already planned during MoS either. We already know the story of how Zack and company sat down and came up with the idea post MoS.

BadAss2961

I do wonder whose behind it considering its been going for years now.
Marvel fanboys. Maybe a bit of Marvel themselves. Tinfoil hat conspiracy theory and all, but most involved over there who's ever had anything to say about the DCEU have been super salty.

I don't buy the idea that both sides want each other to eat.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

There still could have been people in that building, remember the people at the Daily Planet decided to leave after a while of shit going on and not right away.

Firemind

Wait, what?

No one ever claimed BvS was already planned during MoS either. We already know the story of how Zack and company sat down and came up with the idea post MoS.
I thought I remembered there were mumblings about addressing the fallout of the attack in the sequel and how it was all planned.

I thought I remembered there were mumblings about addressing the fallout of the attack in the sequel and how it was all planned.

nah
"... after Man of Steel finished and we started talking about what would be in the next movie, I started subtly mentioning that it would be cool if he faced Batman... You're in a story meeting talking about, like, who should [Superman] fight if he fought this giant alien threat Zod who was basically his equal physically, from his planet, fighting on our turf... You know, who to fight next?... But I'm not gonna say at all that when I took the job to do Man of Steel that I did it in a subversive way to get to Batman. I really believe that only after contemplating who could face [Superman] did Batman come into the picture." -snyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom