• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
obDu76b.png

http://www.instagram.com/bora.vs.bora/

I saw that earlier today. That shot is gorgeous.

See this right here?

The snow. This is why all games should have snow somewhere. All of them.

Blessed be Uncharted 4, deliverer of dreams.

It sucks it got delayed (again), but I'm still grabbing it whenever it drops. That trailer was AMAZING.

While I've come around to the fat Bat emblem, I'd like it closer to the batarang design.

that's closer to the nolan logo. i take it they wanted to do their own thing (as well as snyder being so beholden to miller's work). will probably slim down a little more for justice league. batman no longer eating those batpies as he has to get back to work.

IconGrist

I mean Zack is saying all the right things... it's always the execution...

CckbK8wW0AAdfo_.jpg

Zack needs a great writer to compliment his great visuals. Someone like Larry Fong does to put the imagery in his head on screen that can put to paper the story he wants to tell.

I have a hard time reading that.

Here's what it says:
Hidden in the embossing of Superman's suit is a quote from Joseph Campbell, who wrote what is acknowledged to be the most comprehensive work of comparative literature on the tradition of mythical heroes. "It's one of the my favorite quotes and I feel like it applies to the hero's journey," says Zack Snyder. "That's the journey that Superman's on in our movie. Incorporating it now that we were well on the Superman road seemed appropriate." The quote, translated into Kryptonian by the scriptwriters, reads, "Where we had thought to be alone, we will be with all the world."

a916

Zack needs a great writer to compliment his great visuals. Someone like Larry Fong does to put the imagery in his head on screen that can put to paper the story he wants to tell.

Yeah... visually, he's on a whole other level. He knows how to rip pages from a comic book and capture them so well. You can freeze so many parts of the trailers/scenes and just admire the camera angle and the framing of everything... it's even more impressive that it's constantly happening and that it's all in movement.

He needs a good script though, that's his failing or his biggest weak point... he needs to do a better job of addressing script issues or getting a team together that he can trust in delivering a good script (Terrio/Affleck).

I have a supes logo BvS shirt from the dc store. I like it, the wash hasn't really affected it besides shrinking it a bit, which is normal.

Anyway I'm hoping once BvS comes out, WB just rides that hype train. We're already getting creatives for Rebirth titles the weekend that BvS drops.

I bet we're going to hear something about Suicide Squad or Superman game real soon. I refuse to believe neither of these things are launching before the end of the year. I'm expecting a Batman solo film to be slotted within a week of the movie coming out as well.

Ahasverus

New interview with Affleck

Pretty good interview with Affleck (in French):
http://www.premiere.fr/Cinema/News-C...c-un-peu-casse

- Mentions spending three weeks in the Batmobile chasing after someone in a green costume.
- Talks about his Bruce and the tragedy of losing people with whom he worked with (during the Supes/Zod fight at the end).
- Mentions seeing Terrio and Snyder working together is like mixing chocolate and peanut butter, that they created the perfect hybrid. Script is great and not one change was made to the dialogues. Also says that Snyder is a director with a fantastic visual.
- Talks about how physical the role was (one year of gym training).
- Mentions he had a talk with both Bale and Clooney. He told that story again about Bale suggesting him to be able to piss in the costume.
- Mentions that he didn't have a lot of scenes with Cavill, but when they both did work together it was "electric".
- Mentions taking one of the Batarangs as a souvenir and one of the props guy was mad Ben wouldn't return it. Snyder gave Ben the grapple gun at the end of filming.
- Loved working with Irons and says Jesse's Luthor is a mix of Kurt Cobain and Larry Page.
- The most impressive fight/action scenes are with Wonder Woman.
- Is very excited for JL.
- Still wants to direct the solo Batfilm if the script is good but that's still far ahead since he's now filming Live By Night.
From the bolded: Fucking internet.

AMUSIX

So I watched Man of Steel again last night (first time since I saw it in the theater). I remembered not liking it very much, but I figured I'd give it another go, try to get hyped up for BvS. Unfortunately, I still found the movie to be a rather underwhelming mixed bag. I'm still trying to feel more positive about BvS, so I'm asking if the things that put me off of MoS might be fixed through the change in who's doing what. For me, there were three huge issues:

1. The Shakey Cam - Before anything else even has a chance to make an impression, I was stunned with how jittery the camera work was. That opening scene in the Kryptonian council chambers, the camera was everywhere, just bouncing around like mad. After the initial shock, I figured "ok, well, Krypton is going to hell, maybe it's an indicator of the planet shaking or impending doom or something"...but then it continued into the next scene, and the next. By the time we got to the quiet scene between Pa Kent and young Clark talking about what happened with the school bus, and it was still going on, I realized it had nothing to do with action or building tension or anything like that. So, was this Snyder's doing? Should I expect the same from BvS? Or has a cinematographer changed and will result in an overall steadier presentation (with kinetic camera work still used for action)?

2. The Story - well, some of it. OK, so it plays out as more of a sci-fi movie than a superhero one...that's fine. But there are things that make absolutely no sense (Mystical Jor-El, Zod insisting that Lois come with, Pa Kent teaching Clark fear and selfishness, etc). I'm assuming this was largely Goyer's doing, and his name is still attached to BvS. Should I be worried? Mind you, I don't have the issue people do with the destruction, or neck-snapping, or even hobo-Clark being a douche bag, but there were just a few too many things that felt could have been caught in a script review by another writer. Is Goyer still the BWOC? or did he do a first pass and Chris Terrio come in to massage it?

3. Breathing Room - or, lack of it. MoS starts at 10, and then goes nonstop, from Krypton to the oil rig to school to the school bus. Half an hour into the movie, we get our first quiet scene, with Johnathan Kent talking to Clark and showing him the pod. Then we're pretty much back into it in the Arctic. Finally, when Zod & Co. show up, there's an hour left in the movie, and that, again, goes non-stop. Now, from Snyder, I've seen 300, Watchmen, and Sucker Punch, and while he is a very action-oriented director, I think MoS suffers from this the most. Part of that may be due to my first issue, which doesn't allow the quiet scenes to be, well, quiet. With Snyder still at the helm, I don't see BvS being any different...but am hoping someone will have some insight and prove me wrong.

I should note that, although I ultimately did not take to MoS, there were some things I really appreciated about the film. Snyder, if nothing else, puts up amazing images on the screen. I really think the guy should be a cinematographer or something because his talent in this is unquestionable. Also, I liked approaching the material like a sci-fi movie. MoS shares a lot more in style and feel and presentation with a movie like Prometheus than it does with something like Spider-Man. Finally, I didn't see anything wrong with Cavill as Superman. Sure, he was a bit broody and was angryman a lot, but I chalked that up to him trying to find himself, and would hope to see the bright, friendly Supes now that he's been out doing the 'saving people' thing for a while (even though I guess the trailers have only shown angryman again...but they're mostly focused on the fighting).

OK, this went on WAY longer than I expected...so...

tl:dr Comparing to MoS, should I expect more of the same from BvS? Or has there been a big enough changing of the guard?

Ahasverus

tl:dr Comparing to MoS, should I expect more of the same from BvS? Or has there been a big enough changing of the guard?
New writer, new director of photography, new creative team. Expect a very different kind of story with a very distinct look.

Rooster12

I gotta side with Schweinehund on this one. BTAS has some of the best episodes of any animated show, hell, any show period, ever, but it's very inconsistent. There's some real trash in there (Batman in my Basement anybody?). Brave and the Bold may not reach BTAS; heights (though it comes damn close at times), but it doesn't reach its lows either. A stronger experience on average.

Overall:

-Brave and the Bold
-BTAS/Batman Beyond (tie)
-Beware the Batman (sadly quite underrated)

Have not seen The Batman, will need to watch that.

I enjoyed Superman:TAS and Batman Beyond way more than Batman:TAS. I really thought a lot of the episodes sucked (especially the Bane one...wtf?).

IconGrist

OK, this went on WAY longer than I expected...so...

Pretty much the only remaining aspects of Man of Steel going into Batman v Superman is the director, costume designer and music composer, lol.

Verendus

Banned
The most impressive fight/action scenes are with Wonder Woman.
No one giving Spike-Hulk the credit he deserves, even though the big sequence revolves around him. It will be the same after the movie, I'm sure. Unappreciated for his entire life. What a sad existence.

Tabby

No one giving Spike-Hulk the credit he deserves, even though the big sequence revolves around him. It will be the same after the movie, I'm sure. Unappreciated for his entire life. What a sad existence.

Eh he was never a complex character to begin with I think he'll be fine.

ryan299

Pretty good interview with Affleck (in French):
http://www.premiere.fr/Cinema/News-C...c-un-peu-casse

- Mentions spending three weeks in the Batmobile chasing after someone in a green costume.
- Talks about his Bruce and the tragedy of losing people with whom he worked with (during the Supes/Zod fight at the end).
- Mentions seeing Terrio and Snyder working together is like mixing chocolate and peanut butter, that they created the perfect hybrid. Script is great and not one change was made to the dialogues. Also says that Snyder is a director with a fantastic visual.
- Talks about how physical the role was (one year of gym training).
- Mentions he had a talk with both Bale and Clooney. He told that story again about Bale suggesting him to be able to piss in the costume.
- Mentions that he didn't have a lot of scenes with Cavill, but when they both did work together it was "electric".
- Mentions taking one of the Batarangs as a souvenir and one of the props guy was mad Ben wouldn't return it. Snyder gave Ben the grapple gun at the end of filming.
- Loved working with Irons and says Jesse's Luthor is a mix of Kurt Cobain and Larry Page.
- The most impressive fight/action scenes are with Wonder Woman.
- Is very excited for JL.
- Still wants to direct the solo Batfilm if the script is good but that's still far ahead since he's now filming Live By Night.

First bold is surprising and the second has me excited

Verendus

Banned
Eh he was never a complex character to begin with I think he'll be fine.
To be fair, Wonder Woman is barely a character. I get why she's going to impress people, since people loved that Kryptonian from Man of Murder, but then Superman's brother from another mother deserves something.

It's a sad life for others this year. Handicap match (aka legal definition of assault) in March, Jeff Goldblum possibly wiping out an entire species in the summer, and who knows where we'll end up in Fantastic Beasts. That'll probably be the worst of them all. Probably have that freaky looking guy running his own slave trade.

Ahasverus

To be fair, Wonder Woman is barely a character. I get why she's going to impress people, since people loved that Kryptonian from Man of Murder, but then Superman's brother from another mother deserves something.
Dissaponting but understandable. Save us R cut.

Verendus

Banned
Dissaponting but understandable. Save us R cut.
Don't worry friend, at least you get a couple scenes. Plus, it's not really her movie. She gets her little moments, but it's all about that Buttman, with a side of Lex, drizzled in Supersauce.

Did the Kryptonian in Man of Steel even speak? I just remember her wrecking those soldiers.

IconGrist

I wonder what funny water the folks in this thread are drinking!

Superman:TAS didn't last as long so not nearly as much baggage as B:TAS. Understandable that someone could like it more. I do think B:TAS just had way higher highs than Superman:TAS.

I did not care for Batman Beyond at all.

Verendus

Banned
Superman:TAS didn't last as long so not nearly as much baggage as B:TAS. Understandable that someone could like it more. I do think B:TAS just had way higher highs than Superman:TAS.

I did not care for Batman Beyond at all.
I remember thinking I'd love to see a Batman Beyond movie with Christian Bale. They could make it about twenty years from now, and we could return to that universe, while learning that cop ended up dead since he sucked. Then I realized why ruin a good ending, and let Baleman live in peace.

I'd like a standalone Batman Beyond though. The idea of a futuristic Gotham, and a retired Bruce Wayne, while someone else takes up the mantle of Batman is interesting.

a916

Lol that's true. She was a very generic character with no growth or arc and people thought she was better than Zod for some strange reason... probably because she was a lady. Swap her out with a generic dude actor, no one remembers him.

300+ avatars! you can change it once a day for a year and be a mystery to the world, like a international spy.

Hahaha, true. I wouldn't recognize any of you weirdos if it wasn't for your avatars. Except Penguin but that's because I pronounce his name like Benedict Cumberbatch. Pengwen.

On the topic of avatars I think I'm probably going to change back to my old one. I think I've proven that Rope Guy will be the stand out king in Suicide Squad.

Lol that's true. She was a very generic character with no growth or arc and people thought she was better than Zod for some strange reason... probably because she was a lady. Swap her out with a generic dude actor, no one remembers him.

In fairness: that sounds like Boba Fett, and we already know what's up with him. I think people will gravitate to characters that look cool/do cool shit.

ryan299

Today on Movie Talk, Harloff said that BvS pre-sale tickets are close to Star Wars. No idea where he got that from except for Schepp saying on their heroes show that it was already at 125 million lol

strafer

Today on Movie Talk, Harloff said that BvS pre-sale tickets are close to Star Wars. No idea where he got that from except for Schepp saying on their heroes show that it was already at 125 million lol

I don't doubt that for a second. I've said it since Day 1 that this movie will make bank.

People saying it will bomb have no clue what bomb is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom