• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imperial

I can totally see the movie not ending with Black Adam being defeated in a fist fight, but simply being talked into not being a douche by Billy.

2013-04-1707-42-14-jln6ytu.jpg

Ooooooooh. This gives me a super cool idea. Take Brainiac's origins and methods, and add a Von Neumann twist; rather than there being just one Brainiac, there's thousands, millions even. One "ship" ends up on Earth for JL2, which the Justice League fight. Over the course of the movie, we find that part of the reason why Brainiac collects species is to acquire their technology as well as cataloging them.

At the end, right after they've one, the main mind tells them something to the effect of "you think you've won, but there's untold numbers of me out in the galaxy, descending on a prize so great that when I/we return, there'll be no stopping us." Heroes say something to the effect of "well, we'll need to get ready."

Cut to god-knows-how-may Brainiac ships surrounding a planet... with giant, fiery geysers coming out of it. With the voice of legion, they begin the attack, and when they do, a cloud of flying things erupts from the planet. Leathery wings, so many they block the stars. Tearing, ripping apart the cool steel exteriors of the ships with weapons and claws. One ship escapes, only one, but as it races away we see a boom tube open up on the bridge, and a giant strides out of it. The ships defenses, which previously did serious damage to the Justice League, open up, and the figure shrugs it off and strides towards the central computer. Brainiac attempts to negotiate, to beg, and Darkseid... laughs.

Roll credits.

Exactly, they need to establish his presence through actions. WB has a tough time ahead of them, curious if they're going to explain High Genesis, Orion as well or just make Darkseid a stand alone concept. I think most of the cosmic building should be done through Superman or Green Lantern.

What if the movies get canned?

Anything post 2018 is pretty out there. I doubt DC will stop JL unless BvS flops, which I have a hard time seeing. If WW and Aquaman flop (like Green Lantern flop) I think we'll see a change of plans in the solo movies (aka just MoS and Bats, or more team up movies).

WHY ARE WE NOT TALKING ABOUT THIS?! Other than on the BvS thread. Shut up I was at work.

There's a lot of cross posting between all the DC threads. Now that they're both on community I try to keep DCCU news/discussion in this thread, and BvS news/discussion in the other thread. Not that there's anything wrong with BvS news in this thread, I just feel out of place posting about other movies in BvS thread now.

Anyway I like the look. I hope this Lex is a scientist first in this movie, would love to see him in his power suit.

Then our dreams are all dead and there'll be lots of smug MCU fans.

Joking aside, I could see it happening to any of the movies except WonderWoman. It depends where the audience goes. The MCU has done a good job of entertaining audiences with the 'isn't this all so silly?' angle but, as was evident with Nolan's films, it's very easy for audiences (especially teenage ones) to fall into the trap of loving something because dark and gritty is so 'cool' (assuming they all are that way) and this was also evidenced in the responses to the Power Rangers thing too. Audiences don't just love good movies but also love movies which they feel break a certain formula or make something which is innately viewed as childish, such as Aquaman, into something dark and 'different' and I feel that's exactly why they cast someone like Mamoa as Aquaman.

Though this is all just speculation I think that WW is the most safe but Aquaman could exist in that 'he's the butt of a lot of jokes but look at him now!' excitement that people love. Flash, well, the series is (apparently - I've not seen it) good so there's no loss there but the others still seem a bit rocky to me.

Here's hoping though, I'm excited by the prospect of these films and I really hope we don't get any cancelled.

Then our dreams are all dead and there'll be lots of smug MCU fans.

Joking aside, I could see it happening to any of the movies except WonderWoman. It depends where the audience goes. The MCU has done a good job of entertaining audiences with the 'isn't this all so silly?' angle but, as was evident with Nolan's films, it's very easy for audiences (especially teenage ones) to fall into the trap of loving something because dark and gritty is so 'cool' (assuming they all are that way) and this was also evidenced in the responses to the Power Rangers thing too. Audiences don't just love good movies but also love movies which they feel break a certain formula or make something which is innately viewed as childish, such as Aquaman, into something dark and 'different' and I feel that's exactly why they cast someone like Mamoa as Aquaman.

Though this is all just speculation I think that WW is the most safe but Aquaman could exist in that 'he's the butt of a lot of jokes but look at him now!' excitement that people love. Flash, well, the series is (apparently - I've not seen it) good so there's no loss there but the others still seem a bit rocky to me.

Here's hoping though, I'm excited by the prospect of these films and I really hope we don't get any cancelled.

I feel like a huge determining factor in what will make these films successful is how DC handles Justice League and BvS. People feel you need solo films in order to make a team movie but I disagree, and I actually feel the opposite. If you introduce characters in a team movie and make an impression with each of them, I think people will be more likely to view their solo movie then if you were to throw their solo movie out by itself.

I don't think Winter Soldier and Thor 2 performed so much better than their predecessor because their predecessor was a good movie and people wanted more of that, rather I think they were more interested in these characters because they had a big role in Avengers.

I think the reason WW is slotted after BvS and Aquaman/Flash are slotted right after JL is obvious. These characters are going to have big roles in the team films and that is going to be what drives audiences to their movies.

The only film I'm personally worried about in terms of performance is Flash. I know I criticize a lot of people for criticizing casting choices in hero movies, but I don't care for Ezra Miller as a super hero. Shazam has Rock so I'm sure that bought a few seats already (Furious 7 probably going to help with that as well), Cyborg/GL is a big question mark.

ReiGun

While I don't think anything is going to get canned, I do think the movie slate we ultimately end up getting will be different from what they announced so far. Mainly because of sequels. If Wonder Woman or Aquaman takes off, for example, no way they're waiting until after 2020 to get new movies out the door.

3N16MA

Banned
While I don't think anything is going to get canned, I do think the movie slate we ultimately end up getting will be different from what they announced so far. Mainly because of sequels. If Wonder Woman or Aquaman takes off, for example, no way they're waiting until after 2020 to get new movies out the door.

We may get a Wonder Woman sequel in 2020 but I can't see DC doing one before that. Aquaman has a 2018 release so a sequel may actually be 2021.

I'm having a hard time imagining what a Cyborg film would even be like.

There just doesn't seem to be enough "solo" material for his character in order to build a substantial plot around. He's always been and worked best in teams, whether it be the Titans or the Justice League. He doesn't really have a rogue's gallery of his own and there maybe two or three characters tops hat are in his supporting cast in the comics. If they make a Cyborg film they're gonna have to fill it with elements that may end up making it look like a Titans film or a Cyborg and "insert random hero" team-up film.

Cyborg will morph into a Titans movie. I'd bet money on it.

I'm certain this is not what the plan is. Which is a shame because I would much rather have the Titans movie than a Cyborg movie. If done right, Titans could be the DCMU's X-Men. I'd be okay with Cyborg being the focus if he was the leader of the Titans but other than that, I just don't see him holding up his own in a solo movie. A Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle is a much better candidate for a solo movie if they wanted to go with the angle of young tech superhero type.

I'm certain this is not what the plan is. Which is a shame because I would much rather have the Titans movie than a Cyborg movie. If done right, Titans could be the DCMU's X-Men. I'd be okay with Cyborg being the focus if he was the leader of the Titans but other than that, I just don't see him holding up his own in a solo movie. A Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle is a much better candidate for a solo movie if they wanted to go with the angle of young tech superhero type.

This is truth. A Jaime movie would be perfect on a number of levels.

Cyborg is not going to survive, bank on that

I think it will depend on how well Black Panther is received. DC has been pushing Cyborg for the longest time, but if BP ends up flopping I think that will make WB think twice, especially if their solo movies aren't hitting expectations.

I'm having a hard time imagining what a Cyborg film would even be like.

There just doesn't seem to be enough "solo" material for his character in order to build a substantial plot around. He's always been and worked best in teams, whether it be the Titans or the Justice League. He doesn't really have a rogue's gallery of his own and there maybe two or three characters tops hat are in his supporting cast in the comics. If they make a Cyborg film they're gonna have to fill it with elements that may end up making it look like a Titans film or a Cyborg and "insert random hero" team-up film.

That's a good point. Though I did enjoy his Grid and Metal Men subplot in JL. They're launching a new Cyborg solo series so hopefully it will be good and take off, giving him more rogues and character development.

DaveH

They're launching a new Cyborg solo series so hopefully it will be good and take off, giving him more rogues and character development.
I'm not going to pretend that Guardians of The Galaxy wasn't a special case that we can apply to all circumstances, but it proved you can have a quick turn around from recent source-material into a film. The 2008-2010 line-up was already being developed as a screenplay in 2009.

It doesn't matter if Cyborg is allegedly a terrible character since 1980... he just needs one good story between now and 2018 (even if that first good story is the screenplay for the film).

That's a good point. Though I did enjoy his Grid and Metal Men subplot in JL. They're launching a new Cyborg solo series so hopefully it will be good and take off, giving him more rogues and character development.

One of the few awesome editions in an otherwise overdrawn crossover event.

ReiGun

Note: My prediction isn't based on whether or not I think Cyborg can carry a movie. In fact, I think he could carry his own film just fine. Rather, I think using him in that way is the best bet for launching Titans as a franchise.

3N16MA

Banned
After the success of The LEGO movie, they've probably got a good relationship with WB - seems like a smart move on the part of WB to bring them on board if it's true.

Very good relationship. They will be producers for all the upcoming LEGO films (Ninjago, Batman, The LEGO Movie 2). That is on top of writing the screenplay for The LEGO Movie 2.

Odoul

https://instagram.com/p/1GQKLboqMq/

Casting rumor regarding Justice League.

No idea how reliable(or not) the source is, and it's at least 3(!!!!) movies away.

I've never watched the CW shows so I don't have a strong opinion either for or against.

The description makes him seem Bruce Wayne's bitch though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom