• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
do you think Ledger would be in the Suicide Squad movie if he were alive?

I can't see it. I think unless Nolan continued the series the actors from those films would not continue on with the characters.

EDIT: Photo was posted 10 minutes ago. Looks like the long hair is gone.

Rooster12

The big problem with a Chinese lantern is that if you want it to fly in China, they're pretty much going to be token by default; all the really interesting story options relating to their country of origin are going to be closed off.

In Pre-Flashpoint, I thought the first Green Lantern ever was Chinese.

Some Chinese Dragon guy named Yalan Gur

Yalun_Gur.jpg

yalan2.jpg

In fact Alan Scott said he was the greatest GL of all time.

In Pre-Flashpoint, I thought the first Green Lantern ever was Chinese.

Some Chinese Dragon guy named Yalan Gur

Yalun_Gur.jpg

yalan2.jpg

In fact Alan Scott said he was the greatest GL of all time.

Woah. That is some obscure stuff.

I don't think they'd make GL into a dragon-man again, though.

DaveH

via THR: China Box Office Tops U.S. For First Time EVER

And that box office is only going to grow which makes it almost unconscionable to leave that money on the table if you're relying on your tent-poles to fund your studio. The question is what angles can filmmakers take that jive with the source material without getting censored by the Communist Party of China (CPC).

The big problem with a Chinese lantern is that if you want it to fly in China, they're pretty much going to be token by default; all the really interesting story options relating to their country of origin are going to be closed off.
The censors seem largely OK with period pieces so long as people are fictionalized and the villains aren't solely Chinese. So you could do a period piece.

Another way to get around it is to simply court the East Asian market without explicitly courting China (similar to the Fast and the Furious franchise). You cast Asian Americans, Japanese, Koreans, etc. which still appeals to the Chinese market without having as strict requirements (you can even use Hong Kong or Taiwan so long as you don't get political about it).

FYI, The Dark Knight was never officially screened in China and Warner Bros. didn't even submit it to their censors for review. So good on them for their integrity there, but they might have to loosen up if they want to profit-proof their films... even if there's tokenism.

via THR: China Box Office Tops U.S. For First Time EVER

And that box office is only going to grow which makes it almost unconscionable to leave that money on the table if you're relying on your tent-poles to fund your studio. The question is what angles can filmmakers take that jive with the source material without getting censored by the Communist Party of China (CPC).

The censors seem largely OK with period pieces so long as people are fictionalized and the villains aren't solely Chinese. So you could do a period piece.

Another way to get around it is to simply court the East Asian market without explicitly courting China (similar to the Fast and the Furious franchise). You cast Asian Americans, Japanese, Koreans, etc. which still appeals to the Chinese market without having as strict requirements (you can even use Hong Kong or Taiwan so long as you don't get political about it).

FYI, The Dark Knight was never officially screened in China and Warner Bros. didn't even submit it to their censors for review. So good on them for their integrity there, but they might have to loosen up if they want to profit-proof their films... even if there's tokenism.

I'm not saying you can't have Chinese characters in general, that would be nuts. I specifically meant having a modern Green Lantern who picks up the ring in China would be tricky unless you wholesale ignore the implications of a member of a largely repressed citizenry suddenly picking up a superweapon. You probably couldn't even get away with having the Chinese government react like the American one in Man of Steel.

I've actually warmed up to the idea of John Cena as Shazaam. Make it happen WB!

Hoping we get some casting news this comic con on GL and Shazam. I think they already have someone or are close to having someone, Rock previously said the movie could even come out much sooner, leads me to think they're way closer to shooting than I had thought.

He corrects on twitter and says that BA will fight the JL.

Makes more sense, could be so awesome on screen.

It'd be interesting to see BA on the JL for the potential conflict it can cause within the team, but sometimes that gets to the point where it becomes a trope like it does with the Avengers having fights with each other every time they meetup. I'd prefer the JL to be a well oiled machine and more professional. I do hope we get that Black Adam vs Superman or Shazam vs Superman fight.

Captain Marvel vs Superman is probably the most iconic rivalry for me. Bats vs Superman and Wolverine vs Sabretooth aren't that far behind though.

ReiGun

At this point, it's becoming more and more obvious that Black Adam will be the villain of the first Justice League movie. And you know what, I like it.

Personally, I had my heart set on Brainiac, but I think Adam is a good choice too. He's a big enough villain to feel like a threat, but not so big that it feels like they're shooting their best shot first like they would be with Darkseid. You can have him return in different roles later, he could align with other villains or be on his own, he sets up Shazam and best of all, he's played by The Rock. Who is awesome.

Can't wait for a costume reveal (you gotta figure if Momoa is already doing test shots, they gotta be doing something with The Rock).

3N16MA

Banned
At this point, it's becoming more and more obvious that Black Adam will be the villain of the first Justice League movie. And you know what, I like it.

Personally, I had my heart set on Brainiac, but I think Adam is a good choice too. He's a big enough villain to feel like a threat, but not so big that it feels like they're shooting their best shot first like they would be with Darkseid. You can have him return in different roles later, he could align with other villains or be on his own, he sets up Shazam and best of all, he's played by The Rock. Who is awesome.

Can't wait for a costume reveal (you gotta figure if Momoa is already doing test shots, they gotta be doing something with The Rock).

The Rock, Momoa, Cavill, Affleck, all these guys make everyone else look tiny. It will be awesome to seem them all on screen at the same time.

Penguin

I mean possible, but he makes it sound like you'll need Black Adams' origins before he becomes a big player.

I have no idea. I thought it was a random model.

The boob window is stupid though. Like putting a hood on Spider-Woman. Oh, wait.

Difference is, Spider-Gwen's costume looks good, part because of the hood. The boob window doesn't add anything other than cleavage.

Difference is, Spider-Gwen's costume looks good, part because of the hood. The boob window doesn't add anything other than cleavage.

Without boob window that costume is utterly generic, like something used in Mystery Men. The window is Iconic, for lack of a better word, it's her Icon, like the S shield or Bat logo.

Without boob window that costume is utterly generic, like something used in Mystery Men. The window is Iconic, for lack of a better word, it's her Icon, like the S shield or Bat logo.

Ehhhhhhh. While it's definitely emblematic of the character, it's also emblematic of some of her problems, namely that a lot of writers (and artists) basically treat her like Fanservice Superman. Ditching the boob window does more good than harm, IMO.

What she really needs is her own symbol, like the bat or the S.

More info on Shazam casting, Black Adam from Rock

-Shazam script about "halfway done"
-No idea how they're handling casting Billy, Shazam, suggests a Captain America solution
-They haven't casted Shazam yet
-He seems confident enough to know his origin and how his character develops. Implies Black Adam may have a larger role in DCCU.

I'm so happy to see his enthusiasm about playing the role. Hope they can find someone equally enthusiastic. Going to be a joy to see the Rock playing BA.

I agree with the speculation that he might be the JLA: Part one villain. It's the only way I can piece together why they signed Rock so early. Did we ever get confirmation that JL and BvS were casted back to back? Last time I heard people comment that it was odd how long the shooting was for BvS. Looks like F7 was doing reshoots in april last year, unsure what the complete period was for BvS's shooting.

More info on Shazam casting, Black Adam from Rock

-Shazam script about "halfway done"
-No idea how they're handling casting Billy, Shazam, suggests a Captain America solution
-They haven't casted Shazam yet
-He seems confident enough to know his origin and how his character develops.

I'm so happy to see his enthusiasm about playing the role. Hope they can find someone equally enthusiastic. Going to be a joy to see the Rock playing BA.

I agree with the speculation that he might be the JLA: Part one villain. It's the only way I can piece together why they signed Rock so early. Did we ever get confirmation that JL and BvS were casted back to back? Last time I heard people comment that it was odd how long the shooting was for BvS. Looks like F7 was doing reshoots in april last year, unsure what the complete period was for BvS's shooting.

I can totally see the movie not ending with Black Adam being defeated in a fist fight, but simply being talked into not being a douche by Billy.

3N16MA

Banned
Anyone think Darkseid and Brainiac will be reserved for JL films or they will be villains in Superman solo films?

I could see Brainiac being a Superman villain, but Darkseid is 100% going to stay with the JL.

Yeah Brainiac has stronger ties to Supes than anyone else, it wouldn't be a stretch to see him in one of his solo movies. He's been at both JL level and Supes solo level.

Brainiac will be the first Justice League villain. Well, that's my guess at least.

I really want them to make Darkseid a JL villain, they should introduce him similar to the Superman* animated series. Have him floor Superman or Brainiac at the end of Man of Steel 2.

I'm tired of seeing Thanos's ass being glued to a chair, I don't want to see the same thing in DC movies. I want to see people leave the theaters being impressed without having to wikipedia who the hell Darkseid is to figure out why he's important.

Yeah Brainiac has stronger ties to Supes than anyone else, it wouldn't be a stretch to see him in one of his solo movies. He's been at both JL level and Supes solo level.

I really want them to make Darkseid a JL villain, they should introduce him similar to the Superman* animated series. Have him floor Superman or Brainiac at the end of Man of Steel 2.

I'm tired of seeing Thanos's ass being glued to a chair, I don't want to see the same thing in DC movies. I want to see people leave the theaters being impressed without having to wikipedia who the hell Darkseid is to figure out why he's important.

Ooooooooh. This gives me a super cool idea. Take Brainiac's origins and methods, and add a Von Neumann twist; rather than there being just one Brainiac, there's thousands, millions even. One "ship" ends up on Earth for JL2, which the Justice League fight. Over the course of the movie, we find that part of the reason why Brainiac collects species is to acquire their technology as well as cataloging them.

At the end, right after they've one, the main mind tells them something to the effect of "you think you've won, but there's untold numbers of me out in the galaxy, descending on a prize so great that when I/we return, there'll be no stopping us." Heroes say something to the effect of "well, we'll need to get ready."

Cut to god-knows-how-may Brainiac ships surrounding a planet... with giant, fiery geysers coming out of it. With the voice of legion, they begin the attack, and when they do, a cloud of flying things erupts from the planet. Leathery wings, so many they block the stars. Tearing, ripping apart the cool steel exteriors of the ships with weapons and claws. One ship escapes, only one, but as it races away we see a boom tube open up on the bridge, and a giant strides out of it. The ships defenses, which previously did serious damage to the Justice League, open up, and the figure shrugs it off and strides towards the central computer. Brainiac attempts to negotiate, to beg, and Darkseid... laughs.

Roll credits.

ryan299

Tyrese Gibson just posted another picture of him in the GL suit. Caption says "The Oath - See you soon".

Man I'm totally not feeling him. Hopefully he doesn't get it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom