• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read through the list of changes... I honestly don't know what WB were trying to achieve with the cut they released. They deserve the amount of shit they got. Some suits over there are lucky Zack is a punching bag for the internet and got assigned most of the blame.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Batman-v-Superman-Mech-Suit.jpg

Rooster12

I would have loved a Superman telltale game. I got sick of Batman ages ago.

If it's Telltale style it could literally be any DC character.

The Question or Phantom Stranger would be awesome in this form. But I'm sure they've never even heard of those characters.

SJRB

Gold Member
...it's happening, isn't it?

The Ultimate Cut actually makes for a better movie?

God I'm so hyped for the HD release in two weeks.

IconGrist

Lol someone on the subreddit called bullshit on the UC descriptions and someone else was like "here's some ass" and posted Bruce in the shower with ass on full display. I laughed pretty damn hard.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Lol someone on the subreddit called bullshit on the UC descriptions and someone else was like "here's some ass" and posted Bruce in the shower with ass on full display. I laughed pretty damn hard.

Goddamnit, how many times do we have to say it Icon. Link!

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Nope, expect the: Just 30 minutes of more shit. Comments.

I'm gonna make my own cut that splices in a shot from Gone Girl to that shower scene. It'll be the Dick Cut. I'll make millions fooling nerds into thinking Grayson is in it.

antovolk

Yes. Just finished it. 8.5/10 (TC for reference was 7/10)

It's not a different movie - it's the same film, same story (but expanded and improved upon).

But it's definitely a more complete movie. The entire film gets lots more room to breathe, while the theatrical was cramped - it's not just added scenes - pretty much every scene apart from the stretch from the BvS fight to the epilogue after Trinity v Doomsday (which only had a few shot and a couple dialogue additions) is expanded or changed, or in a couple of cases early on, re ordered in some way.
More detailed thoughts coming up in a bit.

BTW - Flixster and CinemaNow nixed both their early uploads. So have to wait until the 28th now. or torrents. So glad to have got it in time. Still have the SD copy from CinemaNow downloaded.

Tabby

BTW - Flixster and CinemaNow nixed both their early uploads. So have to wait until the 28th now. or torrents. So glad to have got it in time. Still have the SD copy from CinemaNow downloaded.

Man that sucks. I was hoping to watch it today.

Effect

I wonder how much trouble CinemaNow and Flixster are in with Warner Bros. I guess it might depend if there is positive buzz coming out of this mistake.

antovolk

Okay....I'll try keep this as story spoiler free when it comes to the new content as I can. Possible spoilers for those yet to even see the film - and I 1000% encourage the extended version to be your first viewing if so.

The TL;DR version - best way to describe this is that it's not a completely different movie. It's a more complete, and definitely improved film. From the word go - so much more room to let the story breathe, and even by the extension everything that the story goes for is done justice better here.

The improvements: the thing about this is that it isn't just the theatrical cut with a bunch of extra scenes added on. Aside from the whole 3rd act (from end of BvS fight to epilogue - which, while being the weaker part of the film in this cut, oddly in the theatrical cut was the best paced part of the film), everything including existing theatrical cut scenes is expanded, changed up, in some cases early on even re-ordered. Most importantly, everything gets a whole lot more room to breathe, the pacing is much more even (which helps even moments like the infamous email scene which is in the same place as in the TC), and the editing and intercutting is miles better, scenes intercut and transition much more naturally and smoothly. You won't even care that there aren't that many more establishing shots even (a notable one was a nice one of Gotham early on). I was at first a bit unsure on how the wheels are spinning quite a bit but overall the very graceful build up to the conflicts is very much appreciated.

It's the same story - but it feels really quite differently executed, and for the better. There are expansions to story elements that really help make sense of a lot of the existing beats. Don't really wanna say more because spoilers, but yes, the additions help immensely.

Clark/Supes and Lois benefit the most from the new content. The balance between Bats and Supes is much more even as we get more to do, and both their storylines are really quite improved upon. There is more Supes as well, with moments that should quieten down the hate, and Bats gets a few more characterisation shades (including a, to me, very notable improvement as well, retconning a point that many at first considered to be a big problem). The new characters introduced, including Jena Malone's, while not really that big on screentime and as such easily expendable in the theatrical, are great to see and they help out overall with affecting expanded subplots. Lex is improved upon also, adding a touch of Frank Underwood as well (one of two Fincher homages, may be uninitentional) to his first-act arc with Senator Finch, and the other additions are very interesting too, but may not be for everyone due to the divisive reaction. I liked Eisenberg's take on Lex so to see more of it here was very welcome.

That third act is, for better or worse, weaker than the rest but still enjoyable to watch - probably a case of everything coming before that and the epilogue after being so good. One thing that peeves me, like in the theatrical cut, is how they tried to introduce a third act element in the build up to the big fight, but I guess all of this is something I can live with.

If you liked the theatrical cut on the first go, you'll love this. If you were on the fence/mixed on the theatrical cut primarily because of the execution issues (except runtime - because there are people for whom a 3 hour superhero blockbuster is too much), you'll likely come out enjoying this. If you didn't like the film the first time for more fundamental reasons like Snyder's vision for these characters and the places he's taking them and the overall story? You probably still come out disliking it.

EDIT: one more thing - there was something someone said about the theatrical cut being far too preoccupied with setting up a universe than it own story. Thankfully this cut does the film's own story justice for good (pun may or may not be intended).

8.5/10

Bring on the questions.

Bleepey

Okay....I'll try keep this as story spoiler free when it comes to the new content as I can. Possible spoilers for those yet to even see the film - and I 1000% encourage the extended version to be your first viewing if so.

The TL;DR version - best way to describe this is that it's not a completely different movie. It's a more complete, and definitely improved film. From the word go - so much more room to let the story breathe, and even by the extension everything that the story goes for is done justice better here.

The improvements: the thing about this is that it isn't just the theatrical cut with a bunch of extra scenes added on. Aside from the whole 3rd act (from end of BvS fight to epilogue - which, while being the weaker part of the film in this cut, oddly in the theatrical cut was the best paced part of the film), everything including existing theatrical cut scenes is expanded, changed up, in some cases early on even re-ordered. Most importantly, everything gets a whole lot more room to breathe, the pacing is much more even (which helps even moments like the infamous email scene which is in the same place as in the TC), and the editing and intercutting is miles better, scenes intercut and transition much more naturally and smoothly. You won't even care that there aren't that many more establishing shots even (a notable one was a nice one of Gotham early on). I was at first a bit unsure on how the wheels are spinning quite a bit but overall the very graceful build up to the conflicts is very much appreciated.

It's the same story - but it feels really quite differently executed, and for the better. There are expansions to story elements that really help make sense of a lot of the existing beats. Don't really wanna say more because spoilers, but yes, the additions help immensely.

Clark/Supes and Lois benefit the most from the new content. The balance between Bats and Supes is much more even as we get more to do, and both their storylines are really quite improved upon. There is more Supes as well, with moments that should quieten down the hate, and Bats gets a few more characterisation shades (including a, to me, very notable improvement as well, retconning a point that many at first considered to be a big problem). The new characters introduced, including Jena Malone's, while not really that big on screentime and as such easily expendable in the theatrical, are great to see and they help out overall with affecting expanded subplots. Lex is improved upon also, adding a touch of Frank Underwood as well (one of two Fincher homages, may be uninitentional) to his first-act arc with Senator Finch, and the other additions are very interesting too, but may not be for everyone due to the divisive reaction. I liked Eisenberg's take on Lex so to see more of it here was very welcome.

That third act is, for better or worse, weaker than the rest but still enjoyable to watch - probably a case of everything coming before that and the epilogue after being so good. One thing that peeves me, like in the theatrical cut, is how they tried to introduce a third act element in the build up to the big fight, but I guess all of this is something I can live with.

If you liked the theatrical cut on the first go, you'll love this. If you were on the fence/mixed on the theatrical cut primarily because of the execution issues (except runtime - because there are people for whom a 3 hour superhero blockbuster is too much), you'll likely come out enjoying this. If you didn't like the film the first time for more fundamental reasons like Snyder's vision for these characters and the places he's taking them and the overall story? You probably still come out disliking it.

EDIT: one more thing - there was something someone said about the theatrical cut being far too preoccupied with setting up a universe than it own story. Thankfully this cut does the film's own story justice for good (pun may or may not be intended).

8.5/10

Bring on the questions.

How would you rate it compared to Civil War? Does it explain how lex worked out Batman's secret identity?

antovolk

How would you rate it compared to Civil War? Does it explain how lex worked out Batman's secret identity?

BvS theatrical < Civil War < BvS Ultimate

no

How long is the Kryptonite heist video footage?

And do you see Bruce doing more scientific research with the Kryptonite?

just a 10 second addition to the scene of Lex entering LexCorp post-assault, he watches it on the way in and smirks.

And nope, although we do get a couple more shots of the weapon creation in the Batcave training montage

Firemind

BvS theatrical < Civil War < BvS Ultimate

no

just a 10 second addition to the scene of Lex entering LexCorp post-assault, he watches it on the way in and smirks.

And nope, although we do get a couple more shots of the weapon creation in the Batcave training montage
Hype falling

I guess it's good Superman and Lex are somewhat redeemed.

He's lex. In these movies secret identities are antiquated. If lois can investigate into superman actually being Clark Kent then lex can for damn sure figure out who batman and superman are with all his power and resources.

Normally I can overlook plot holes but there is a giant gaping one in BvS and it's Bruce's stupidity. You're telling me he blames superman for the deaths of his employees. And it drives him to a cruelty he's never had before. Batman...the character that tends to be driven towards his objective all the time, in this case it being Superman's destruction. And he can't even freaking do a little Google search to find out about Clark Kent and who he was raised by. There's a real inconsistency with that plot. How it shows Bruce painstakingly preparing to battle superman and holding such a long grudge with him yet not bothering to do what lex or lois could.

Really we would have been better off just assuming he knows it's Clark and dropping the Martha scene. That shit was more trouble than it was worth.

Magwik

Banned
He's lex. In these movies secret identities are antiquated. If lois can investigate into superman actually being Clark Kent then lex can for damn sure figure out who batman and superman are with all his power and resources.

Normally I can overlook plot holes but there is a giant gaping one in BvS and it's Bruce's stupidity. You're telling me he blames superman for the deaths of his employees. And it drives him to a cruelty he's never had before. Batman...the character that tends to be driven towards his objective all the time, in this case it being Superman's destruction. And he can't even freaking do a little Google search to find out about Clark Kent and who he was raised by. There's a real inconsistency with that plot. How it shows Bruce painstakingly preparing to battle superman and holding such a long grudge with him yet not bothering to do what lex or lois could.

Really we would have been better off just assuming he knows it's Clark and dropping the Martha scene. That shit was more trouble than it was worth.

I just assume it's Bruce not caring about who he is. All that matters is what he is.

I just assume it's Bruce not caring about who he is. All that matters is what he is.

Dude is heavy into his research youd think he'd be a little curious.

It's like Snyder really wanted that Martha moment (this is obvious with the cutaway to the Wayne murder and that shot of the pearls again) and told the writers to work backwards from there to justify it.

Yeah but Lex discovering both of their identities is kind of important, way more of an important scene than most of the other stuff in the movie.

It's disappointing that the movie treats the double life aspect of these characters as something so throwaway just because lolglassesasadisguiseisdumb.

Yeah but Lex discovering both of their identities is kind of important, way more of an important scene than most of the other stuff in the movie.

It's disappointing that the movie treats the double life aspect of these characters as something so throwaway just because lolglassesasadisguiseisdumb.

Eh I don't think so. I was kind of expecting to go into this movie with Bruce and Lex already knowing who superman was. After man of steel it should have been a foregone conclusion.

That kind of stuff doesn't need to be shown right as it happens. I assumed people were supposed to figure that out with the party scene anyways. He was being so ironic with that phrasing lol. I guess it was too subtle though.

Too much exposition is not good. When I watched this movie and Lex came to Bruce and Clark I immediately knew, that he knew.

Ninjimbo

Dude is heavy into his research youd think he'd be a little curious.

It's like Snyder really wanted that Martha moment (this is obvious with the cutaway to the Wayne murder and that shot of the pearls again) and told the writers to work backwards from there to justify it.
Isn't this Bruce out of practice and consumed with issues? This is our first introduction to Batman in this universe and he's shown to be kind of reckless in many ways. I can see him overlooking certain things simply because he's too obsessed with Superman as a threat.

Isn't this Bruce out of practice and consumed with issues? This is our first introduction to Batman in this universe and he's shown to be kind of reckless in many ways. I can see him overlooking certain things simply because he's too obsessed with Superman as a threat.

Doesn't stop him from researching everything else in the movie besides Clark's identity.

Eh I guess. But then he's conveniently alert when on the trail for information about the Russian and when preparing the kryptonite weapons.

Dude overlooked a really big thing for the convenience of a silly scene. All he really had to do was go to IHOP and find out about superman haha.

They fucked up with some of this. I hope justice League is tighter. Apparently since it's gonna be a plot with less moving parts they might nail that one better

Firemind

Bruce never considered Superman to be anything other than an otherworldly alien god. He never considered Superman to have an alter ego. How could he? I don't see how that's a plot hole. He's more concerned how to supress and eliminate his powers, which is what his investigation is focused on. Bruce isn't his comic book version where he deduces everything like it's the most normal thing in the world.

Nah man. I think it's a big gaping problem in the whole batman and superman plot. The movie lost me after the lex/superman scene anyways. I literally thought it went from like something as high as a 7 straight down to a 2/10 (and that's for seeing wonder woman in costume)

Such a steep decline. I was actually really enjoying the movie up until that fight. It's conclusion really doesn't work. And the less said about doomsday the better. Nobody got time for him.

Ahasverus

Nah man. I think it's a big gaping problem in the batman and superman fight. The movie lost me after the lex/superman scene anyways. I literally thought it went from like something as high as a 7 straight down to 2/10 (and that's for seeing wonder woman in costume)
The best scene of the movie? Ok.gif

The best scene of the movie? Ok.gif

AFTER

And nah best scene is metropolis attack bro.

Civil War is surprisingly the only big comic movie this year to stick the landing. Even apocalypse fell flat as it moved forward. I usually find Marvels third acts derivative but they finished civil war really strong.

Ahasverus

The rooftop scene is amazing. It was the more tense I've felt in a cbm since TDK. My teather felt the same, with more than a few "son of a bitch" being thrown at the screen haha. I'm not fond of the Doomsday fight either but what can you do.

Bleepey

1) true makes sense
2) I always thought the driven to sociopathy was due to a Robin dying
3) I assumed Bruce clocked on that Clark Kent was Superman during the diner scene.

Ahasverus

Yeah it wasn't Superman who got Bruce mad. The Gotham guy supposedly says Batman got bloodier recently. It was obviously Jason's death which caused his straying.

And yes, the "freaks dressed like clowns" sounded like Bruce was at the same time referencing Joker and attacking Superman.

Ninjimbo

Eh I guess. But then he's conveniently alert when on the trail for information about the Russian and when preparing the kryptonite weapons.

Dude overlooked a really big thing for the convenience of a silly scene. All he really had to do was go to IHOP and find out about superman haha.
He's alert because he's focused on taking Supes down. Batman in this movie is cynical and spiritually beaten down to the point where trust and redemption are antiquated notions. He's shown branding criminals, willfully killing some of them through happenstance and, generally, he's consumed by tragedy.

I think for Bruce to be able to care about Superman's real identity, he has to have some niggling doubts of who and what Superman is and the movie goes out of its way to show Bruce is stubborn on this point and unwilling to budge. He's pretty much convinced Superman is bad because he can only see the worst in people.

Superman tries to talking to him and how does Batman respond? By blasting him with traps and explosions. He's hardheaded. He's too far gone. That's why it's cool to see Superman be the one to bring him back.

I was hoping Bruce was being a smartass at that dinner but then we get...Martha. euck I get what snyder wanted to go for with that one but it was such a clunky finisher to the fight.

@above post: yeah I guess I can buy batman being extremely myopic about his hate to the point where he is willfully ignorant of Superman's identity. But damn...the batgod should learn from this haha

Bleepey

I will never for the life of me understand how the Martha scene went over so many people's heads. I thought it was obvious but I guess audiences have to be spoon fed.

Also, I was thinking about BVS being confusing especially with regards to Lex especially with regards to how it compares to Civil War and Zemo. I don't feel the need to bring Civil War down to build BVS up, but is it just me but did a lot of what Zemo did primarily rely on luck? I know I am gonna mention stuff that was in the extended edition and not theatrical so it's understandable audiences could be confused by BVS considering how much was cut out of the movie. However:

How did Zemo known Team Cap would be incapable of containing the Crossbones explosion?

how did Zemo know Cap and Tony would disagree?

How did Zemo know people would be convinced the Winter Soldier was guilty. Maybe he could have alibid out?
. Civil War spoilers.

I got the feeling that there was a logical progression with Lex's plan.

Lex doesn't like Superman cos he feels Superman can't be all powerful and all good. So he wants to prove he's not all powerful or not all good.

He wants to first discredit him and have people question his role in the worl via the Africa incident.

He knows people's opinions are split regarding him due to the damage in metropolis and wants to exploit this by causing the Africa incident and forcing Superman to want to explain to himself.

Superman in hope of trying to explain himself is at the senate hearing yet due to the bombing people will blame him for the damage.

Lex exploits the conflicted opinions regarding Batman by exploiting how Clark feels about Batman's violence. Killing the people in the jail is the final straw that breaks the camel's back.

Lex notices the best way to get Superman's attention is to attack Lois or his mom. Uses that to get his attention.

The scenes in the trailer where it's said Batman only understands violence and that next time he shines the Batsignal he'll be waiting. Helps to explain the big confrontation in the armoured suit.

Am I missing any steps in either BVS or Civil War?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom