• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
I hope Cyborgs movie gets cancelled, fuck that scrub. Send his ass back to Cartoon Network

There's no way Warners are going to 'cancel' the solo film of the only African American character they have in the DCU at the moment.

At worst they will make it an adaptation of The Titans.

IconGrist

Maybe, I don't know and that is not my point. There are quite a few directors that made good movies, but also bad ones.

Any director can make a bad movie. Not everything involved in that process is even on them. You'd be surprised how much studio interference comes into play as well. It's best to judge based on each individual effort rather than the average quality of their work. People like Nolan or Cameron are the rare ones not the majority so there's really no point in looking at past work. No good comes from "oh it might be bad because..." OR "oh it might be good because...".

this is too adorable
https://www.buzzfeed.com/terripous/this-3-year-old-picked-her-own-outfit-for-school-photos-and?utm_term=.rr7pA9pVb#.sbjxjNx1r

so I have a question about BvS, why exactly was Batman branding criminals? was he encouraging criminals to attack and/or kill people he caught? that and the bullet plot point where the two things that I never quite understood.

He's branding them as an additional form of punishment. Luthor was the one making sure they got killed in prison.

duckroll

so I have a question about BvS, why exactly was Batman branding criminals?

Because he was very angry, and Superman's arrival put the fear of God in him literally creating an existential crisis. It's pretty stupid, and it's the same justification for him being hellbent on killing Superman rather than investigating Luthor. There is definitely an interesting story of a Batman pushed over the line somewhere, this just wasn't it. Worst part of BvS imo.

The batman being presented was fantastic but the reasoning behind his beliefs and his actions are one of the sloppier things about the movie. I really like BvS and some of the things snyder and co were trying to do here but man if only they thought that script through more.

Corpsepyre

Banned
So, me and a friend have decided to take shots whenever the word 'fun' is mentioned in reviews once WW and JL come out. I guess we'll die of alcohol poisoning, be comatose or will be throwing up rather quickly, but it'll be fun. I'll be uploading videos of this party. We read a review, we take shots. It's that simple.

EDIT: Come to think of it, we should have done this with Dr.Strange too, cuz I'm reading a lot of FUN words in the early previews.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
So, me and a friend have decided to take shots whenever the word 'fun' is mentioned in reviews once WW and JL come out. I guess we'll die of alcohol poisoning, be comatose or will be throwing up rather quickly, but it'll be fun. I'll be uploading videos of this party. We read a review, we take shots. It's that simple.

EDIT: Come to think of it, we should have done this with Dr.Strange too, cuz I'm reading a lot of FUN words in the early previews.

We will miss you.

RIP.

Bleepey

Because he was very angry, and Superman's arrival put the fear of God in him literally creating an existential crisis. It's pretty stupid, and it's the same justification for him being hellbent on killing Superman rather than investigating Luthor. There is definitely an interesting story of a Batman pushed over the line somewhere, this just wasn't it. Worst part of BvS imo.

I vaguely recall reading that early drafts of the script had the Joker as well as Christian Bale. Do you lot think showing Joker killing Robin after the Joker escaped from Arkham for the xth time would have helped the movie? I am curious as to what subplots they cut out for the movie, I bet it's shit like the Metropolis incident from Lex's perspective, or Lex fucking with Wallace Keef as Bruce tries to contact him. I'd love to see a extreme 3.5hr final cut of all this. That said the pacing of the film could be thrown out of whack, I really loved BVS's opening with Bruce just wondering what the hell is going on with men flying and fighting from the sky.

I just took the branding as another twisted influence from Mark of Zorro, often seen as Bruce's last purely happy memory. He further retreats to it after feeling helpless seeing the two aliens smashing up Metropolis. But it's really shorthand for Batman's methods getting meaner.

guek

Banned
I just took the branding as another twisted influence from Mark of Zorro, often seen as Bruce's last purely happy memory. He further retreats to it after feeling helpless seeing the two aliens smashing up Metropolis. But it's really shorthand for Batman's methods getting meaner.

But Bruce saw Excalibur with his parents, not Zorro.

Not that you're wrong, but it's kinda funny that Snyder's modification of traditional Batman lore would have meshed better with some of his other choices had he just left things the way they've been.

But Bruce saw Excalibur with his parents, not Zorro.

Not that you're wrong, but it's kinda funny that Snyder's modification of traditional Batman lore would have meshed better with some of his other choices had he just left things the way they've been.

Excalibur was the film coming soon. Mark of Zorro is what they saw that night.

Xscjjvb.png

Granted, it's a little weird to follow a 1940 film with a 1981 film. But I don't know how theaters operated back then.

Wan talking Aquaman,

"I kind of don't want to give too much away but know this: The spirit that I'm going for is like a classic sort of swashbuckling action adventure, sort of high seas adventure story," Wan shared. "It's ultimately a quest story in the spirit of Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Romancing the Stone."

"I think Amber and Jason Momoa, in their moments in Justice League, [are] going to give the rest of the world a flavor of what their own standalone movie could be," Wan explained. "And that is just scratching the surface of what I plan to do.

SJRB

Gold Member
..I thought initial reports were that they were actually going for a horror-esque vibe for Aquaman?

I can't help but scratch my head when I read stuff like "Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Romancing the Stone" and "swashbuckling".

Ahasverus

..I thought initial reports were that they were actually going for a horror-esque vibe for Aquaman?

I can't help but scratch my head when I read stuff like "Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Romancing the Stone" and "swashbuckling".
Yeah, it's obvious Geoff panicked a little and is turning everything into the super friends. I'm not even kidding,

Wan been calling his Aquaman swashbuckling for ages. And I believe talk of horror came from Trench, creatures of the deep. They aren't mutually exclusive concepts.

a916

Yeah, it's obvious Geoff panicked a little and is turning everything into the super friends. I'm not even kidding,

Probably because too many people whined about "waaaahhh too dark" when they should have been thinking more critically about the film. As if "darkness" by itself is some sort of metaphor for bad.

Touche

Is Aquaman going to be like Captain Marvel (Marvel) where they don't have to stick to a specific background and can kind of build him as they see fit for the DCEU?

Not mah Aquaman

Busty

Banned
Wan been calling his Aquaman swashbuckling for ages. And I believe talk of horror came from Trench, creatures of the deep. They aren't mutually exclusive concepts.

This. What is going on in this thread? Is it panic or a case of people being unable to visualise how something like Aquaman, with Wan at the helm, could come together?

Litan

This. What is going on in this thread? Is it panic or a case of people being unable to visualise how something like Aquaman, with Wan at the helm, could come together?
People are probably unable to visualize how something like Aquaman, with anyone at the helm, could come together. I have no idea what to expect from this movie.

jackdoe

Swashbuckling Aquaman is the best Aquaman.

So much better than moping Aquaman who overcompensates because people keep on joking that his only power is his ability to talk to fish (I'm looking at you Geoff Johns written Aquaman).

mooncakes

It be pretty cool if he summon some deep-sea creatures to battle since there are some weird looking one lurking in the bottom of the ocean.

Some news about The Batman movie:
Leto’s Joker has long been whispered to make an appearance in the film, as are a few other villains.
I believe the Joker is going to appear (I heard for many months that story points were planned taking some loose influence from the Joker chapter of Frank Miller’s iconic comic book story The Dark Knight Returns, but it remains to be seen whether that pans out now that the script has been written)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug...relax-about-batman-movie-rumors/#34c4cfa46697

So much better than moping Aquaman who overcompensates because people keep on joking that his only power is his ability to talk to fish (I'm looking at you Geoff Johns written Aquaman).

Did that even go past issue one? Maybe it popped up once or twice, but it wasn't as prevalent as you're making it sound.

jackdoe

Did that even go past issue one? Maybe it popped up once or twice, but it wasn't as prevalent as you're making it sound.
Well, if that's the case, then I stand corrected. The first issue just soured me so much on a Geoff Johns written Aquaman that I didn't go any further, especially after reading Flash Rebirth.

Ashhong

Watched the first twenty minutes of SS because we finally got it at work, and it's very weirdly structured. Starts off with a random scene of Deadshot and Harley only to introduce them again with Waller. I can already see the issues people were talking about.

Watched the first twenty minutes of SS because we finally got it at work, and it's very weirdly structured. Starts off with a random scene of Deadshot and Harley only to introduce them again with Waller. I can already see the issues people were talking about.

you watched the only minutes worth a damn anyways. the action bronson and kanye west scenes are all you need.

duckroll

I vaguely recall reading that early drafts of the script had the Joker as well as Christian Bale. Do you lot think showing Joker killing Robin after the Joker escaped from Arkham for the xth time would have helped the movie? I am curious as to what subplots they cut out for the movie, I bet it's shit like the Metropolis incident from Lex's perspective, or Lex fucking with Wallace Keef as Bruce tries to contact him. I'd love to see a extreme 3.5hr final cut of all this. That said the pacing of the film could be thrown out of whack, I really loved BVS's opening with Bruce just wondering what the hell is going on with men flying and fighting from the sky.

I dunno I haven't really read anything substantial about early drafts that seem legit. I don't think it is needed to show Batman's past for his present to make sense. I don't really think it helps the film because the problem isn't that there isn't enough backstory. The problem is that the psychology they wanted Batman to have in the film is poorly supported by the actual events in the film. I don't really think they cut much because what is there clearly indicates that there was a poor amount of effort going into establishing what they wanted in the first place.

you watched the only minutes worth a damn anyways. the action bronson and kanye west scenes are all you need.

I dunno, the Joker and Harley scenes in SS all worked for me, what didn't work was the SS film. It's weird that they cut most of the scenes from the subplot that would have actually been better as the actual movie rather than the movie they made...

SJRB

Gold Member

..what do you mean "got it at work", where do you work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom