• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Viper

oAvNGc.gif

I like SS, people here seem to hate it, but how do you explain it having the legs it did.

I guess those who liked it really did? Or kids liked it a lot? Not sure. It's a flawed film with a below average script, but I really liked it. I thought it actually translated the characters from comics to screen incredibly well, especially Deadshot, Harley and Waller. Best Waller in live action by a country mile.

Penguin

I like SS, people here seem to hate it, but how do you explain it having the legs it did.

It has elements that people like, there's no doubt about it. It has the best legs of the 3 DCEU films to date, and better legs than a decent amount of MCU films.

I do think this is one unlike BvS/MoS, where there is a big disconnect between online reactions and the general public.

General public ate it up especially teenagers. I remember a local radio DJ talking about the movie before playing the Heathens song and said he loved the movie regardless of the reviews and his daughter had seen it 6 times. I know my Thursday night screening was probably 50-60% teenagers.

BadAss2961

When I saw BvS, I was worried about its legs because of what a slow burner it was. Much of its themes are also easily missed without seeing it multiple times.

When I saw SS, I thought it would hit with the general audience. It's a fun, simple, easily digested CBM with an edge to it.

Ninjimbo

When I saw BvS, I was worried about its legs because of what a slow burner it was. Much of its themes are also easily missed without seeing it multiple times.

When I saw SS, I thought it would hit with the general audience. It's a fun, simple, easily digested CBM with an edge to it.
This is where my thoughts fall on SS's success. BvS is the movie for film geeks while SS is for people who just want to chill.

Hey have they released an in depth behind the scenes on the costume designs/manufacturing for Batman v Superman?

Thats part of what got me into the show Face Off was seeing design, molding, fabrication process on over the top Hollywood costumes.

Or Man of Steel and Watchmen for that matter.

Hey have they released an in depth behind the scenes on the costume designs/manufacturing for Batman v Superman?

I believe there is a featurette on the bluray about the design of the new Batmobile, but I can't remember if there is something dedicated to either of those. It might just be footage sprinkled into the other featurettes.

To be honest, if Snyder wanted to turn around his filmography and fan opinion of him as a filmmaker, he should have did the Star Wars movie instead of taking on the entire DCEU. It was the safest choice, because Disney would have tried their hardest to ensure it was well received. However, if Snyder nailed the DCEU he would have been given free reign at Warner Bros for quite awhile.

To be honest, if Snyder wanted to turn around his filmography and fan opinion of him as a filmmaker, he should have did the Star Wars movie instead of taking on the entire DCEU. It was the safest choice, because Disney would have tried their hardest to ensure it was well received. However, if Snyder nailed the DCEU he would have been given free reign at Warner Bros for quite awhile.

seemed more interested in spearheading his own take on something rather than being a part of somebody else's collective universe.

opinions on BvS aside, that was very much his own film. he got to make batman a nihilistic asshole. i imagine WB was probably pissed when they saw the final product. it's just not easy to like for the kids who eat up marvel flicks or the general audience who frankly don't really care about the characters they just want to watch a fun popcorn flick.

and so then he's catering to a more narrower subset of people who are into these universes and even alienates a lot of them with his own spin haha.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
we should be getting a trailer soonish, movie is less than a year away at this point and yet not a single trailer.

the comic-con footage doesnt count.

Was about to question what a Zack Snyder movie guided by focus tested and studio meddling from the jump would look like, had he done a Star Wars project. But right now that's what I'm expecting from Justice League. And I'll say as toothless as Marvel Studios movies can be, I have more faith in Feige and crew's looming presence than I do with WB at this point. We'll see.

Dead

well not really...yet
seemed more interested in spearheading his own take on something rather than being a part of somebody else's collective universe.

opinions on BvS aside, that was very much his own film. he got to make batman a nihilistic asshole. i imagine WB was probably pissed when they saw the final product. it's just not easy to like for the kids who eat up marvel flicks or the general audience who frankly don't really care about the characters they just want to watch a fun popcorn flick.

and so then he's catering to a more narrower subset of people who are into these universes and even alienates a lot of them with his own spin haha.
Fuck em lol. I'll take this sort of imperfect yet insane vision over the rest any day. If Snyder could have cut the League tie in scenes from the Directors Cut id love it even more.

also real talk, although I guarantee those e-mail scenes were late pick up scenes in photography, they could have made them work if they didn't feel so obligated to listen to Nolan's no post credits scene rule. Coulda had Batman and Wonder Woman in the batcave post credits with him pulling up those videos on some massive monitor. Fucking Voila.

i'm with you man. i'm sure i'll enjoy the marvel flicks next year (looks to be their best year) and justice league but BvS is the best comic cinematic universe movie to me. it's flawed as hell but it brought something interesting to the table.

i don't think anything going forward (marvel or dc) will live up to that, some will be funny, others will have better action etc, but as a whole nah. Batman is the big question mark but who knows with WB pivoting towards wanting to be marvel how that ends up.

honestly i'm looking forward to Logan more than the rest of the comic stuff coming up. i don't think snyder will get to go wild with dc any more, i will still mark out seeing the league together of course. but that hype can only go so far.

I'm with you two, I'd rather have BvS with all it flaws than a good number of comic book movies released. It's a shame we won't see Snyder's actual take on Justice League next year.

Dead

well not really...yet
You now realize Justice League would have originally ended with Batman shooting Steppenwolf with a machine gun, Wonder Woman cutting off his legs with her sword and Superman flying through him and bursting through his chest splattering blood and guts everywhere.

Fuuuuck. Now it'll be some lame sanitary defeat or some shit lmao.

j/k
sorta

Ninjimbo

So i was browsing some BvS related things and came across a movie podcast that interviewed Christina Wren right before BvS hit. It's pretty much a dive into Snyder'a filmography by the host and they discuss Man of Steel while Wren relates stories about Zack and about what it was like to work on MoS.

Listen here.

At around the 40th minute mark, she talks about how it was like on set. She describe it as an ego-less environment, how Snyder is pretty chill, and how he keeps a sort of family environment around it at all times. Apparently he's been working with the same people for years and the set isn't anything like a typical production. Sounds like a great experience. Also, Snyder spent his high school days reading books and working out at the gym.

One of us. ;_;

i'm with you man. i'm sure i'll enjoy the marvel flicks next year (looks to be their best year) and justice league but BvS is the best comic cinematic universe movie to me. it's flawed as hell but it brought something interesting to the table.

i don't think anything going forward (marvel or dc) will live up to that, some will be funny, others will have better action etc, but as a whole nah. Batman is the big question mark but who knows with WB pivoting towards wanting to be marvel how that ends up.

honestly i'm looking forward to Logan more than the rest of the comic stuff coming up. i don't think snyder will get to go wild with dc any more, i will still mark out seeing the league together of course. but that hype can only go so far.

Really hope Logan is as good as it looks and is successful for it. I like my Marvel Studios movies but Hollywood needs other successes to emulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom