• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninjimbo

Amy Adams has a point too that a lot of times the character is in service of the story rather than the other way around. A movie like spiderman 2 is a rarity now :(
I never understand what people are talking about when points like these are made. Characters in service of the story? Huh?

IconGrist

I never understand what people are talking about when points like these are made. Characters in service of the story? Huh?

Basically characters behave in certain ways in order to advance the plot. This can and will lead to characters saying or doing things that sit outside of that character's canonical logic. Like in BvS, Lois doesn't tell Superman that Lex is behind all the things happening around him. Which is odd for someone who cares greatly about Superman and his public perception to keep that information from him when he's obviously upset about these events. She didn't tell him because it doesn't serve the story being told.

That's not all of it but is an easy trap for writers to fall into.

Yager

Banned
Ehm. Not cool.

Dan Harmon has made some good rants about remarks like that on his podcast. Some people just stutter a bit (and he's really not that bad).

I know this is just a forum and he'll never read it of course, but I've seen people tear into stutterers like that irl and it's always the most painful thing. As someone who stutters himself sometimes, eh. Not a fan of that attitude.

are you serious right now?

Guys, it's Raptor. In case you didn't know, you should not pay attention to anything he says.

Ninjimbo

Basically characters behave in certain ways in order to advance the plot. This can and will lead to characters saying or doing things that sit outside of that character's canonical logic. Like in BvS, Lois doesn't tell Superman that Lex is behind all the things happening around him. Which is odd for someone who cares greatly about Superman and his public perception to keep that information from him when he's obviously upset about these events. She didn't tell him because it doesn't serve the story being told.

That's not all of it but is an easy trap for writers to fall into.
Isn't Superman gone when she finds out? The bombing is what has him most upset and Lois doesn't know at that point if Wally was acting alone. That's why she goes to his apartment and when she finds out Supes is long gone. The only people who know that Lex is behind everything at that point in the movie are in the Senate when the bomb goes. The only thing Lois has is a bullet implication Lex's involvement.

I don't know. It seems plausible to me. Lois has a brief meeting with him after the bombing and he goes off and at that point she's just glad to see him and is probably still parsing things out.

Penguin

I think it affects TV more

you ever realize how DUMB heroes become around the mid-point of a show that they can stretch it out to the end

Like Barry giving up his powers last year
Or Ollie apparently joining the League in season 3.
Or pretty much no one in Civil War listening to each other

IconGrist

Isn't Superman gone when she finds out? The bombing is what has him most upset and Lois doesn't know at that point if Wally was acting alone. That's why she goes to his apartment and when she finds out Supes is long gone. The only people who know that Lex is behind everything at that point in the movie are in the Senate when the bomb goes. The only thing Lois has is a bullet implication Lex's involvement.

I don't know. It seems plausible to me. Lois has a brief meeting with him after the bombing and he goes off and at that point she's just glad to see him and is probably still parsing things out.

She knew Lex set up Africa to make him look bad. That at least would have kept Superman from leaving if he knew he was being targeted like that. Especially since she realized the only way Lex could have known Superman would be there is if he knew him and Lois were close. Superman wouldn't have left if Lois was in possible danger too. The lead shielding on the bomb would have still come out.

Ninjimbo

She knew Lex set up Africa to make him look bad. That at least would have kept Superman from leaving if he knew he was being targeted like that. Especially since she realized the only way Lex could have known Superman would be there is if he knew him and Lois were close. Superman wouldn't have left if Lois was in possible danger too. The lead shielding on the bomb would have still come out.
This is a good point. I hadn't thought of that. I would have to see that bombing sequence again to make sure how much Lois knows. She knows of the setup and that she is being targeted but I wonder how sure she is that Lex is behind everything. The only meeting they have in the movie is the one on the rooftop so it's safe to assume that Lois doesn't know much about Lex. Does she know he's crazy? That he's capable of things like that? If we assume she doesn't know any of those things, I would imagine that she would be a little hesitant to start pointing fingers at Lex. Even when she finds out the chair was lined with lead, we don't see her chasing after Lex. Then she gets abducted by KGBeast at an escalator.

I think it affects TV more

you ever realize how DUMB heroes become around the mid-point of a show that they can stretch it out to the end

Like Barry giving up his powers last year
Or Ollie apparently joining the League in season 3.
Or pretty much no one in Civil War listening to each other
I haven't watched any of the new super hero shows, but I do notice when tv shows feel like they're being stretched out and characters are acting dumb. This happened a lot in House where it felt like House was sabotaging himself at every turn just to justify a new season and more needless drama. This happens to any long running show I think. Breaking Bad got more grating as it went on and it felt so contrived.

Seemingly Aquaman is close enough to filming they have their working title: Ahab

Obviously a reference to the Batman story "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" in which Alfred reveals he dresses up as Joker to appease Bruce's delusions of being a hero. Strange direction to take Aquaman, but I don't blame Wan for wanting to make a secret Batman movie.

VanWinkle

Seemingly Aquaman is close enough to filming they have their working title: Ahab

Obviously a reference to the Batman story "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" in which Alfred reveals he dresses up as Joker to appease Bruce's delusions of being a hero. Strange direction to take Aquaman, but I don't blame Wan for wanting to make a secret Batman movie.

Wait, why's it obviously a reference to Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?

bryanee

Maybe watch the TGA's tonight.

giphy.gif

I finally got my account registered today after lurking on this thread and GAF in general.

Does anyone know how long I have to wait to be able to post new threads? The web page is saying I don't have permission to acess the page yet.

I finally got my account registered today after lurking on this thread and GAF in general.

Does anyone know how long I have to wait to be able to post new threads? The web page is saying I don't have permission to acess the page yet.

Once you're not a junior member, which I believe is over in 3 or 4 months.

That said, mods are cool with other members posting threads for you if it's newsworthy or thought provoking. Assuming you trust someone or know someone already.

Yager

Banned

You can always ask Lord Zimmer INST to make the thread for you. I'm sure it will go just fine.

Penguin

So thanks to some always scary fans, Armie Hammer was followed by several folks from DCEU recently including Geoff Johns and David Ayer.

Which usually means something

So thanks to some always scary fans, Armie Hammer was followed by several folks from DCEU recently including Geoff Johns and David Ayer.

Which usually means something

Huh. Since Ayer followed him, I assume it means he's potentially playing a character that would show up in Suicide Squad 2, but might make an appearance in another movie first like Deathstroke.

IconGrist

Huh. Since Ayer followed him, I assume it means he's potentially playing a character that would show up in Suicide Squad 2, but might make an appearance in another movie first like Deathstroke.

David Ayer is likely just excited. I wouldn't put too much stock in who follows specifically.

IconGrist

I don't see them handing out casting information to Ayer. IMO, the only way he'd know is if it's somehow going to impact anything he plans to do.

Cause WB fucked him over in post production?

It's still his movie technically and it made almost as much as BvS did. Any other movies of his come anywhere close? Doubt it.

It's still his movie technically and it made almost as much as BvS did. Any other movies of his come anywhere close? Doubt it.

I mean it's his movie in the sense his version had to be folded into the WB version when they ran off to the trailer cutting company to develop their own cut. While it made a good amount of money, I doubt he's too happy about being undermined in post like that.

IconGrist

I mean it's his movie in the sense his version had to be folded into the WB version when they ran off to the trailer cutting company to develop their own cut. While it made a good amount of money, I doubt he's too happy about being undermined in post like that.

It depends on what the conversation was. If they went behind his back and butchered his movie I could understand he'd be pissed. If they were in agreement that the movie needed a lighter spin due to BvS's poor reception then it's possible he's still on board and even happier that the movie made money despite it's worse than BvS reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom